• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

shallow or medium vs deep seats - what brands/models have them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shallow or medium vs deep seats - what brands/models have them?

I'm looking for brands and models of dressage saddles that have shallow or medium seats, rather than deep seats - what brands/models have them?

I've spent the last 2 years in a County Connection.
    Recently I rode in a saddle that made me go "wow"!

Now I want that wonderful feeling, so I'm saddle shopping. I was told the difference is the deep seat vs a more open seat, so I hope the coth'ers have experiences they can share on this, and saddles to reccomend.

What is the saddle you rode in?
    "The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli"

Comment

I am in the market for a Passier because I have found their seats to give me the most freedom of movement. They have regular and deep- but even their deep seat isn't anywhere near some of the buckets on the market.

Comment

the Albion, Platinum Genesis has a medium depth seat. Open vs. deep.

Comment

Jaguar makes their dressage saddle in 2 types. One is a deep seat, and the other is a nice, balanced open seat. I love mine.
          \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, I will look into those saddles.

I don't want to get far off-topic, but in case it helps guide suggestions, here's both saddles and how the feel to my body:

Current saddle, County Connection:

When I bought the saddle, my first goal was my horse's back, and this saddle is a great fit for him. I figured my seat would improve over time, so then the saddle would feel better, right?

Yes my seat improved; no, the saddle actually feels worse now.

Currently, my County saddle's pommel hurts the front of my seat. It's a struggle to keep in position. It also feels like it pulls my legs up & forward. If I fight against that, then my leg is behind the "stirrup/leg indentation" (what word describes the hollowed in spot in the flap where the saddle expects your leg to be, the spot behind the knee roll?). I've been told that it looks like it throws my seat back onto the cantle. Maybe the cantle, pommel and stirrup placement aren't in harmony on this saddle for my body. I don't think it's larger knee rolls matter much, despite others' preferences for smaller.

The other saddle, an ancient mono-flap model labeled as a Bates/Wintec:

It feels so much easier to just sit, stretch down, and get to work in this saddle.
            I liked how the pommel is so much lower (it doesn't hurt!) I feel can sit closer to the stirrups instead of "so far behind" them (and I like the lower cantle, but the pommel seems to make the biggest difference.) My hip & leg open/stretch nicely. My knee is comfy with the flatter knee rolls, they seem fine.
            Last edited by myamigo; Nov. 7, 2009, 01:28 AM. Reason: trying to get images to show.

Comment

I wanted to put pics in for NJRider, who asked "What is the saddle you rode in?" but I see that they showed up as links instead. Anyone have ideas on how to switch "img code" to "on"?

Comment

If you are hitting the front of the saddle it may be because the twist is too narrow. I had that problem. Now I have a deep seated medium twist(Schleese). I had a shallow seated , narrow twist before. (Roosli)
                Friesians Rule !!

Comment

Actually, the Wintec 500--the old model--might be to your liking, though the stirrup bars are forward and that could be an issue.

I thought the Wintec 500 felt almost identical *to me* to a Stubben Schulteis. (sp) which is as minimal and flat as you get for dressage.

The new wintecs are *different* in the seat. Might be worth a sit.

OLD Passiers, the kind with the moulded flap are very flat and open. I called mine the AbMaster for the first few months. Check them for stirrup bar position, some are quite (too) forward, some are setback.

The new Passiers can be ordered in a normal/shallow seat, but as a rule the ones for sale in the US are the deep seat, you have to special order (no charge) the 'shallow' seat, which is actually the regular.

Courbettes have a shallower seat, but the waist doesn't agree with everyone, and there are few options in tree width. (wide isn't really, and 'adjustible' really isn't either. )
                  InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

Stubben Scandica's have a very open seat. I don't know what your budget is, but a used one will be in the $650-$850 range. The Kieffer Wein also is in that price range (actually less) has a less deep seat compared to other Kieffers. Some of the really old Kieffers were known for having hard seats, but the newer ones have a soft seat.
                    "The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli"

Comment

Friesan, here's the view from the seat, what do you think of the twists?
                      County:
                      http://g5l4.onodot.com/
                      Other saddle:
                      http://s6oq.onodot.com/

I found a used OLD Passier that I liked today, but it was too narrow for my horse.
                      The new saddles at the local shops are Stubbens (but they are bannana panels and my horse is suited to a gusseted, flatter panel shape) and Wintec & Bates. I tried a Bates Caprilli, but it had a funny bulge in the middle of the panel. I've heard the new Wintecs have a choice of CAIR or flocking, but it does not seem Bates has that option.
                      I think I tried a Kieffer Wein a few years back - will look around for some locally.

FYI, I tried the new PRO with the contour blocks. Knee not close enough to blocks to make a diff. Seat felt odd.

Since the County hasn't lasted as long as I planned, I don't want to spend more than $1500 or so.

If I can find a set I like and a shape to fit my horse, all in 1 saddle, then I'm game to watch ebay and hunt for a deal on that model.

Comment

I second the stubben scandica - a great saddle for the money!

Comment

The Passier Relevant has a pretty open seat. I detest deep seated dressage saddles, and just love my Relevant! It's knee blocks can be ordered in several styles as well, and I have the smaller ones, that fit more like a jumping knee block. Heaven, I tell you! I happened to find mine at a local tack shop and it happened to fit my mare. Had I been able to order it, I would have gone up to an 18", for that extra bit of thigh room, but as it is, the 17.5 works well for me. FWIW, I am 5'7" with a very *ample* thigh!
                          http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/MarnieCollett

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."-Aristotle

Comment

You might want to try an older Stübben Tristan with gusseted panels.

Comment

Working...
                            X