• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bareback Dressage Rider Sinners Club; anyone else?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bareback Dressage Rider Sinners Club; anyone else?

This is a spinoff from the thread about Bergamon being ridden in western tack - oh the horrors!

I started riding at about age 4 and had to earn my way into a saddle. That took a good 5+ years to get to that point. Dad bought me a honkin' 75 lb western saddle that I couldn't lift onto my horse's back, so I "down graded" to a jumping saddle. The rest is history! 38 years later, here I am! 22 years of riding dressage and I confess . . . I broke down a rode bareback the other day!

I decided to ride one of my dressage horses BAREBACK the other day! I rode him in a Dually Halter with reins and a western pad and anti-casting surcingle to hold it on (he's way too big for a bareback pad); HORRORS! I wonder if I "ruined" him? Oh, and this is my FEI I1 horse and only the second time I'd ridden him bareback - first time with anything resembling a halter or hackamore!! Of course, he did buck and porpoise at first - hey, that is what the roll bar (as I call it!) it for; a handle to stay on! We did passage, trot S/I and H/P, canter S/I, tempi changes, and pirouette's bareback and w/ halter! Frankly, I was surprised!

Needless to say, I was beyond ecstatic that we could be so connected together, sans any specific equipment!! I was smiling so hard ear to ear, I almost cried; too much fun! Good boy; whata guy!!

Any other Bareback Dressage Riders out there?

I LOVE hopping on my guys bareback (when they don't have shark fin withers ). It's much warmer in the winter when you're just hanging out on them.
    "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

I do it all the time, but I readily admit my horse is only first level and we jump too I love riding bareback! My new horse does have a bit of a shark fin wither though so he is not as comfortable bareback as myold morgan gelding though. I still just love it and I want my barn to include a bareback dressage test in their next schooling show- it would be so fun! I discovered on one of my bareback rides that trying to do a stretchy chewy in a posting trot bareback without squeezing with your knees at all (that makes my horse stop)or touching the horses back too hard (since my new horse is pretty sensitive) was quite the challenge but when I got it right it was amazing!
      My blog:

RAWR

Comment

I hop on mine bareback somewhat frequently. Sometimes with a bridle, sometimes just a halter and lead rope. I like to do it while I'm teaching just to give the horses an extra hour to walk around if they've been in all day due to bad weather. It also keeps me warm. And with my show horse, yes it is fun to try out different things we are working on sans-saddle and see how we do! Sometimes, I'm like "wow, we can do that without a bit!!" and other times I'm like "ow ow ow, please use your back better so I have a place to sit!!" (tb withers!) lol It's fun though, and great for the seat, especially sitting trot! I like my students to do it to, just for fun to break up the routine, but also so they learn more about their seat. And I think the horses enjoy it too, it's good relaxing, bonding time, as is trail riding (my other not-so-guilty pleasure).
        Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
        Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
        My Training Blog: www.dressagefundamentals.com

Comment

Me too!

I have a youngster and will often untack after a ride and putter around the ring bareback. He loves it! His walk gets really relaxed and he just swings He is broad and "squishy" too so comfortable for me sometimes I will just do bareback and do some lateral work so I can really feel what he is doing and he can really feel my aids.
          www.performancesporthorsesllc.com

Comment

I used to ride my PSG schoolmistress mare bareback on occasion, either with the bridle or with just a halter and lead. She had a comfy back for it. Once she retired, I still got on her occasionally in the field with nothing at all. She would let me ride around on her for a bit, then when she got tired of me, she would walk into the run-in shed and refuse to move. As much of a workaholic as she was while in training, she definitely knew the meaning of retirement.
            My current horse does not have the withers for bareback riding.
            Amateur rider, professional braider.
            ----
            Save a life, adopt a pet.

Comment

I would ride my WB in a hackamore and a bareback pad regularly. I'm not ready to attempt it with her daughter though, but when she's ready I will. It's great for a rider's balance and feel. Plus it's so easy just to throw on a pad. I'm sure my horse appreciated those days as well.

I want to get a western saddle one day to use for trail riding. They're so comfortable. Maybe with some bling!

Comment

Originally posted by Fantastic View Post
                Needless to say, I was beyond ecstatic that we could be so connected together, sans any specific equipment!! I was smiling so hard ear to ear, I almost cried; too much fun! Good boy; whata guy!!

Any other Bareback Dressage Riders out there?
                and to think you'd been missing out on it all this time!

Absolutely i ride my dressage horse bareback once a week so that we can both remember what it means to kick up our heels and have fun without so much concentration. I ride in a cordeo. Mine is constructed with climbers rope with incremental knots tied for a more precise signal. A cordeo is basically a rope that goes around the base of your horse's neck, and is used in place of any "head gear" Many dressage horses that are responsive to leg and seat aides adapt easily to use with a cordeo. You'll definitely get lots of these faces riding around your typica dressage barn with a "piece of string"
                www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

I'd ride my horse (mainly dressage guy who I've been told could do 3rd level with some work) bareback either with a halter and two leads or a bridle. I wouldn't do it too much as he's a TB with massive withers(!) but it was still fun just riding around for a bit. He also goes out on the odd trail ride and lives out basically 24/7! Haven't ridden him at all in a little while as we're working with some mysterious lameness issues.
                  Originally posted by RugBug
                  Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxhound View Post
                    My current horse does not have the withers for bareback riding.
                    ROFL

I also LOVE to ride bareback but it's not a good idea right now with my greenie. I can't wait until the day when we can ride around sans bridle :-) Sometimes I do just ride her with a halter though when we are going out on trail rides etc.
                    My little girl, Katai - 13.2 Haflinger/Unicorn
                    and her blog

"Ponies are the new black. Welcome to the darkside!" - Manahmanah

Comment

Me too!

The ONLY way I could learn to sit my gelding's trot was to force myself to ride him bareback for 6 months. It was hard, but I knew if I ever wanted to move up I had to find the feel for his trot. I never had any trouble sitting any other horse's trot before, but this is how I fixed it.

Riding bareback is AWESOME!
                      Most friendships in the horse world are just an opinion away from doom.

Comment

They're both too spiny for me to do any real work, but Clairvoya (my Grand Prix mare) and Victorious (my schooling-PSG gelding) do the bareback thing to cool off in the summertime:

http://www.spriesersporthorse.com/wp...eosnorkel3.jpg

http://www.spriesersporthorse.com/wp...idgeswim11.jpg
                        spriesersporthorse.com | farm on Facebook | me on Facebook | blog

Comment

Count me in!

As a newcomer to dressage from saddle seat, I never thought twice! Esp since the Friesian I ride has NO withers, and plenty of padding
                          I actually thought he seemed smoother bareback, with his HUGE trot.

Comment

I ride my FEI school master WTC bareback in a halter. He loves it. My 4 year old FEI prospect thinks it's a hoot, too. I just ride her at the walk though. She's not quite balanced enough in the other gaits yet. Being a big mover, I'm thinking I'll fly off if I even try!

Comment

I loved these photos the first time I saw them, and love them just as much now

Feronia is possessed of a lovely broad, flat back and I have a bareback pad on order for her. I am struggling with some seat/leg issues right now and someone suggested riding her bareback for a while... I am really looking forward to it. I've only ridden her bareback once, no pad no nothing, and that was last year.
                              You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

I love to ride bareback! I think that it helps with the contact of the entire leg and seat with the horse.

Today I got on my growing 4 year old for the first time bareback... WTC... and lived. It was nice, and I love the heightened communication that happens when you acn feel their entire back under you and they can feel your whole leg and seat.
                                http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
                                "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

Comment

I've been riding bareback occasionally lately. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVfAHT8Rs1g
                                  Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

Comment

I'll jump on occasionally sans saddle- it's so relaxing!

Comment

You're not supposed to ride bareback? Who knew!

My profile pic shows Bailey & me on our second ride this year. As in, no one had ridden him (aside from me in a single "pony ride" post-chemo/radiation in October & a short saddle ride in June) in a full year. He stretched for contact, reached out at each gait and gave me one of the nicest rides ever. Sigh

Two weeks later, we did our first Virginia trail ride around the farm with a barn mate, also bareback.

I actually taught myself how to ride bareback at age 12. My instructor let me take my old western schoolie out and he tolerated me while I figured out how not to bounce around. He was such a gem.
                                      I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
                                      Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Comment

Forgive me, too, for I have sinned....a lot.

I learned to ride a QH cutting horse bareback as a kid (because I couldn't lift the western saddle!). I still love riding bareback.

I fear I grip too much w/ my knees....but it also helps w/ a more 'independent seat'.

Our local dressage shows have a "bareback dressage" class--you can do any test, but you must be bareback (the horse, not you...! ). I love it.
                                        --Becky in TX
                                        Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
                                        She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Comment

Working...
                                        X