• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bergamon being "jogged" in western gear at Stargate in Argyle, TX...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bergamon being "jogged" in western gear at Stargate in Argyle, TX...

Ya, was pretty shocked to see the local mexican barn worker "jogging" him in full western tack around the property....Unbelievable. Why would you want to mess with him?? If he needs to be worked, do something else.

Pehaps he was enjoying a hack around the property?
    Big Idea Eventing

Comment

Oh noes, he iz ruined 4 LIFE!!!1

Pffft.

Comment

Ditto on the 'so what?' Maybe that's his regular routine.

Comment

Seriously? Western cooties?

and wtf is up with mentioning the barn worker's race? Would it matter if the groom was South African or West Indian?
          Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
          Sam: A job? Does it pay?
          Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
          Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

Was he really Mexican or are you just using "Mexican" as a catchall for "brown"? Because, that's really just delightful.

And you really think that getting casually trotted around in whatever saddle is going to negatively impact the horse? HEAVEN FORFEND he go for a relaxing hack. The only place he should be allowed to exit his box is under tack in the double amirite?

For the record when I was a working student at Lendon's one of the horses had a very good relationship with the head groom and he would ride her on a regular basis -AND DO ARENA WORK. They would WTC around and be generally adorable together. Was it classical? Did he have any real dressage training? No and no, but they had some kind of groove going on and the horse was better for having her little "Lupe rides".
            The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
            Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
            Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
            The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Again with the 'and.. ?'

I work my horse around like he's HUS - head down, reins apart, in a jog - it lets him relax. I always do it after I've worked him 'properly', and at shows, just before i go see the judge, so he's relax to go in the ring.

And so what if it was western tack ? Maybe he likes it, because it has a different feel on it ?

Comment

It doesn't take much to shock you if your shocked seeing a horse jogging in western gear.Whoopidy doo.Do you think Bergamon gives a toss?Do you think his life should be restricted to the arena?Please.

Comment

so.....The Aryan Nation disapproves of a Warmblood horse being ridden by a 'mexican'?

This discussion isn't even worth participating in.
                  Last edited by slc2; Oct. 16, 2009, 06:36 AM.

Comment

I regularly hack out my serious dressage horses in my western tack. OH THE HORRORS!
                    True North Dressage
                    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
                    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Comment

I used to occasionally hack my PSG schoolmistress mare out in the field in western tack. She liked it. I also used to ride her bareback with a halter and a lead. She liked that even more.
                      If we put her back in her double bridle and her dressage saddle, she would go back to doing all her dressage stuff.
                      Amateur rider, professional braider.
                      ----
                      Save a life, adopt a pet.

Comment

Well, he IS in Texas, after all ...
                        "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

monstrpony has it right. He IS in TX.

For all those up in arms about the mention of the barn worker's race, I really do NOT think that was because the OP was being racist, it was probably just because in TX that's how many of the people refer to the barn workers. It's like a label, kind of like saying "Indian Summer" weather. People are not thinking of the race, they are using a label they are familiar with. Can it be construed as racist? Yes, but most often by non-Texans. Are some of the people who use it racist? I'm not sure that's something we'll know unless we now and meet the OP in person.

Now, picking on the fact that the OP is shocked by western gear on the horse and seeing it jog around--well that is worthy of the more derisive replies out here.
                          "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

For all those up in arms about the mention of the barn worker's race, I really do NOT think that was because the OP was being racist, it was probably just because in TX that's how many of the people refer to the barn workers

That does not mean it is not racist.

Comment

for those that don't know....

Stargate has finally sold and most of the horses are being auctioned off in November...including Bergamon and Nassau.

So, perhaps they are fitting him up for the sale???
                              www.debracysporthorses.com
                              Home of Sea Accounts xx
                              AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
                              "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Comment

Get a life.

Comment

Versatile stallion; good for him!

The style tack does not matter. Who cares about the equip and who was on him? Hey, at least the horse was out and getting excercised! Additionally, I think this shows the versatility of the stallion; good for him!

So, I just rode one of my dressage horses in a Dually Halter with reins and a western pad and anti-casting surcingle to hold it on (he's way too big for a bareback pad); am I a sinner?? Oh, and this is my FEI I1 horse and only the second time I'd ridden him bareback - first time with anything resembling a halter or hackamore!! We did passage, trot S/I and H/P, canter S/I, tempi changes, and pirouette's bareback and w/ halter! Needless to say, I was beyond ecstatic that we could be so connected together, sans any specific equipment!! Good boy; whata guy!!

Comment

I had the amazing good fortune to ride in Spain a few years ago, and many of the horses that could do higher level dressage movements also wore more traditional tack and rode out on the trails. They seemed so happy with their jobs.

In my opinion, the owner of the hacienda rode as good as, if not better, than the top-rated dressage riders. His seat was beautiful, and he always rode "Western-style" using just one hand on the reins. His horse was perfectly collected on a loose rein, in a snaffle bit. (Oh to ride that beautifully!)

In fact, it was seeing this that convinced me that dressage has absolute relevance for trail riders and vice versa. His horses were unflappable but with lots of "brio."

Comment

Eggie, as I said, it CAN be used in a racist way, but often it is used as a daily term and no one thinks about what it means.

I believe with words it is the intent behind them that defines if it's racist or not. It's also up to the person who uses it, and the person the comment is directed towards. How do you know the OP is not of Mexican descent? We just don't know enough to throw out comments stating that the intent was to be racist. I think people are MUCH to liberal with that term. It's like when you disagree with our President on an issue you are immediately labeled racist. Or if you tried to describe how he looks to another person who was not from here and didn't know who he is. Wouldn't you have to say something about color or race in there, if you're describing his physical looks? And don't some people use their ethnicity as a badge of honor?

I just guess that I wouldn't throw the term around so easily. When you live in Texas, it's VERY different. Ask the groom what they think, and ask the OP exactly what they meant. Then we will all know how it was intended.

Done. I'm off my soap box! (I've just lived in the deepest blue and deepest red states, the farthest north, and the farthest south. I used to be shocked by some things that were said, but when I realized how the locals viewed it when they were saying it and when people were saying it about and to them, I learned to wait to judge and will not ever just throw the label of racist around.)
                                      "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

I'm with Velvet on this one, I didn't pick up anything derogatory re the "Mexican" reference, would folks mind if someone referred to you as "American". I don't know why, all of a sudden, this term sounds bad, it just refers to their country of origin. But, for this reason, I typically use the person's name or refer to them as "the gentleman" that cleans stalls or grooms for so-n-so, etc. It sounds more respectful.

Comment

Working...
                                        X