• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Arabians for Dressage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arabians for Dressage

I am temporarily horseless after having had a very nice dressage mare for the last 7 years. I am short and therefore don't want a huge warmblood. I also have a limited budget. I am considering purchasing a young Arbaian gelding, a nice mover, good temperament, good size for me. My question for the forum is to those who have had experience training and showing Arbians in dressage. I would probably be showing in open shows, rather than Arabian only shows. I have heard some judges dislike Arabians and don't score them very well. In general, is this a good option? Or should I just look for a smaller warmblood?

I adore arabs! I don't know of any judges that would score arabs lower, I think this is a complete myth. It IS true that some dressage people shy away from them due to conformational issues that in some cases make the more advanced work difficult for them. Having said that, arabs are my first love and I never turn down an opportunity to school one. Look for one that has sport bloodlines. If your prospect has a good mind and decent movement then go for it, you'll have a blast!!

Comment

My recommendation is buy an Arabian because you want an Arabian or more importantly THAT Arabian. If you don't or if you buy because you think it's your only option at this time then everytime things don't go according to plan it will because he's "an Ayrab". I have shown and earned my bronze medal on an Arabian. I showed mostly open shows but also some Arab shows but only in dressage classes. I earned what I deserved in both venues and only ran into breed bias under two different judges. Interestingly one judge later gave me a huge compliment and decent score at a regional championship a few years later because she appreciated a correction I had made during a test. I have had and currently have other Arabians because I love the breed, not because it's what I had to settle for at the time. I have two breeds I adore and it's the other one that I have focused on for breeding purposes but I will always have at least one Arab in the barn. I think they can be very competitve and fun if you focus on those traits they possess that lend themselves to dressage; however, I would do so with one who is sport-purpose bred and has good gaits.
      Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

I've shown at a couple of open shows with our boys. The open show I competed in this year, I felt I could have scored a little higher, but there was a slightly political aspect. The only other horse in our class was going for young horse championships this year. He was a much bigger moving, larger horse and better trained.

I am an ammy. Do all of my own training and schooling. I take lessons, usually once a week with a trainer that helps coach me to train our 3 year old stallion, while trying to improve my riding. It's a tough combination, but have a fantastic young horse that I bred, have started myself and keep at home.

I agree with the above posters. You should ride and own an Arabian because you love the breed or horse in particular. They are wonderful animals and bond well with their human. Plus, I'm biased, but an Arabian that works properly, doing dressage, is really beautiful!
        Stacy Mortazavi
        Mortazavi Farms, breeding Arabian and half Arabian Sport and Performance Horses

Comment

There is nothing prettier than an Arabian dressage horse.

This is my 4 year old in his first year under saddle.
          Attached Files
          The Inverted Y
          Thoroughbred and Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
          2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
          www.allanglos.net

Comment

I love both arabs and Tbs....their personalities suit me to a tee. I have a 16.3 TB, but he doesn't feel huge, he is a very light/elegant mover.

Allanglos...love your boy...very pretty.

Comment

It sounds like you have an individual already in mind. If you like him, and think he'll work for what you want to do, then go for it! Arabs are loads of fun, and I adore them.
              Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
              www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

With good gaits and a good brain, you will have a wonderful partner who will try his heart out for you.

There are plenty of Arabs doing great in open competition, and steadily moving up the levels. With more of them finally being bred to once again be functional horses, I think we will be seeing more and more of them out there doing well.

Is this young gelding you are looking at located in Virginia?? (There are a couple of really nice ones out there right now! Keep us posted on your purchase!!)
                Cold Spring Farm
                German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/

Comment

The Statistical Analysis we did of the 2008 open classes showed that Arabs and Arab crosses of various types comprised about 6% of all the horses shown. They also consistently scored below Iberian and all warmblood breeds.

Now, this is aggregate information and individual horses may be at the high end of any scoring range. The data also did not go into enough detail to tell us 'why'; it only showed that the differences exist.

*star*
                  "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
                  - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Comment

Who is "we" and how did you get your "statistical data"?
                    The Inverted Y
                    www.allanglos.net

Comment

Originally posted by dalpal View Post
                      I love both arabs and Tbs....their personalities suit me to a tee. I have a 16.3 TB, but he doesn't feel huge, he is a very light/elegant mover.

Allanglos...love your boy...very pretty.
                      Thanks.

Sounds like you would like an Anglo Arabian
                      The Inverted Y
                      www.allanglos.net

Comment

there are undoubtedly really good ones out there- here is one of them...I'd love to ride that horse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9sKBHmuaS0
                        "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

Comment

I think it's really doing to depend on what you want. If your goals are to score very high, then an Arab *might* not be the breed of choice, as they are not bred for the big flashy gaits that a nice WB would have.

But if you love this horse and he is suited for the job, then by all means buy him.

I have a very nice one that I just adore. He is purebred, Polish and Russian, but he doesn't look like the stereotypical Arab in build. Very few people believe he is purebred actually because he is 15.2h as a 3.5yo and his conformation looks more Anglo or Arab/WB.

But then this is coming from someone who has absolutely no desire to own a WB.

Comment

I've had Arabs and Half-Arabs for dressage. They would have done better if I'd been a better rider back then. My last Arab was my best buddy and over-the-top fun for whatever we wanted to do. Cattle work, low-level eventing, dressage, hacking on trails. Great horse.

Have fun!

Comment

I will say it again and again: a good horse is a good horse. Period. If this Arabian is a good horse - GO for it!!

I (being a TOTAL ammy) personally ride and train two Arabians (one mine, one is my mom's), and I love them both. But they are both INCREDIBLY different, although same age and came from the same breeder.

I've taken my horse to several BNT's, and their reactions are all pretty much the same: "When you told me you were bringing an Arabian, I was skeptical - But HE is awesome!!" (He's also in my profile pic - although not doing dressage)

If you like this horse, and you guys get along, I say go for it!

Comment

My daughter has a fabulous little Arab pony mare. Moves very nicely, nice build, sweet and loving personality. I couldn't ask for a better pony for my daughter. I have not seen any bias from any judges, she usually gets compliments about how nice she is. I say go for it!
                                My DraftX could kick your Dutch Warmbloods BUTT!

Comment

Originally posted by allanglos View Post
                                  Who is "we" and how did you get your "statistical data"?
                                  You must have missed the past and current threads on the Performance Standard and scoring in dressage. A large statistical analysis of dressage scores was done as part of all this, using the scores posted on the USDF website. A copy is available on the PVDA website: http://www.pvda.org/default.aspx

*star*
                                  "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
                                  - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Comment

My personal opinion is that and Arabian can be vastly improved with dressage, but that they don't have the physiology to excel in dressage as it is shown and ridden today, easily. If you love an Arabian, buy her/him and use him according to his talents. Dressage will improve his mind and his physique, and his way of going. How well he places in classes will depend upon you and his performances and work. From that place, I say, enjoy and apply your considerable dresasge training know-how to your new arabian and have a great time. You probably have as much opportunity to move up in the levels with him as with any horse, except for purchasing a horse bred and trained specifically for dressage movements in the shows as they are judged and ridden. If i am wrong, I will one day retract this statement and eat my works. Until then, that is what I think.
                                    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

I have my dream horse. A 14.2 hand bay Arabian filly that I have started and am now putting some miles on. I have every intention of showing and training her Dressage and she has the natural movement and mind that will make that fun.

Arabians just fit me, I love everything about them and when I started looking for a new horse I knew I would get an Arabian even if they couldn't do Dressage well. However, when I started looking around I found how incredible they could be at just about every sport. Now that I have Sora I can't imagine ever going back and even if she were terrible at Dressage I really couldn't bring myself to care. They are really the coolest horses!
                                      My little girl, Katai - 13.2 Haflinger/Unicorn
                                      and her blog

"Ponies are the new black. Welcome to the darkside!" - Manahmanah

Comment

I own and adore 2 arabians and for me there is no other breed I would rather ride. Any horse that has the conformation, temperament and sometimes just plain heart can excel in dressage. Ludicrous blanket statements regarding an Arabian's lack of aptitude for dressage are without merit. I can think of many high dollar warmbloods that never made it above second level...owning a warmblood does not equal FEI potential.

Comment

Working...
                                        X