• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Teeth Grinding, any ideas aside from gumbits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teeth Grinding, any ideas aside from gumbits?

ive got a 4y/o oldenburg gelding that tends to grind his teeth in the beg of the rides, once he gets going he stops, but if he is nervouse or the pressure is on he grinds like crazy! My trainer is telling me to use gumbits, but they are very $!!! A friend rec trying to line the bit with honey. He is a healthy, sound, guy, with a proper fit of saddle, bridle ect. So it isnt that he is uncomftorable. Just looking for ideas to cure the gridding before it becomes a habit! many thanks!!

I had a young horse that would grind his teeth at the begining of the rides due to being tight in his poll and jaw. Started doing stretching with him before the ride : side to side, up, and then from up to level with where he would be for under saddle and staying in that position to flexing more to his neck.

Like I said his was due to soreness and being stiff, which is why he would work out of it.

Comment

If there is no other sign of tension, and this is just eagerness or anticipation, and the horse otherwise looks correct and relaxed, it will not count against you at a competition. But if it is a part of a general pattern of tension, it will affect the score, and it does need to be addressed.

It may be that the horse will stop grinding if the bit position is raised, the noseband tightened, the bit type changed (a 3 piece snaffle sometimes is better than the older style two piece snaffle), if the bit is rubbed with soap, oil, or if something that encourages chewing and relaxing is put in the mouth - diced apples, diced carrots. Bending and suppling can remove it only if the horse does it because he is tight in the jaw and poll.

Comment

Have his teeth checked to see if they need floating. Once you are sure his teeth are fine try riding without a nose band. That way he can open and stretch his jaw until he feels comfortable.
        Cindy Bergmann
        Canterbury Court
        559-903-4814
        www.canterbury-court.com

Comment

I have what sounds like a similar 4 yo. Started with the KK Ultra Soft, the one with the rubber nugget. He liked that a lot. Now he goes in the KK WH with the roller. Likes that even better. I do agree that he is now much softer in the jaw and poll - he is getting trained up, becoming supple and almost never grinds his teeth anymore. Used to be a nervous thing or when we were working on something new. Haven't heard it for about 4 weeks now and I can position his neck/head/poll about anywhere I want. Good luck. nasty habit, was the only thing I did not like about the horse when I bought him. Thankful I was right in believing it would go away.

Comment

No suggestions, but I feel for ya. I have a 3-yo Arab with super-stretchy lips. He can actually suck the bit far enough into his mouth to chew on it with his molars. Drives me insane.

Comment

ive got a 4y/o oldenburg gelding that tends to grind his teeth in the beg of the rides, once he gets going he stops
              Well it's good that he stops once he gets going. Sounds like he's a bit of a 'worrier". You are wise to think about not having it become a habit, though. I would not look at the bit as the cause because he works out of it.

I would work on the old faithful training scale with the relaxation,etc as a basis for the other work. Reduce the stress if possible, warm up for relaxation and then continue with the work as usual..

Comment

I think it was Conrad S who said that there is good grinding and bad grinding. Some horses grind when they concentrate - so part of the challenge is to determine if this is what your horse does when he thinks hard, or if he is just plain worried. He is 4. How long has he been under saddle? Pretty new to the "game"? Maybe it is just a matter of getting him relaxed with the concept of working.

As already suggested - relaxation is your friend. Do you start with some freewalk, easy walk work just to get his muscles (and mind) warmed up?
                www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
                Director, WTF Registry

Comment

I had two young horses (full brother and sister, incidentally) that would grind teeth when learning new things, or when new riders were up and asking for things in a different way. I took it as a peaceful (vs. rearing, bucking) sign of being pushed and would most often back off a touch and break down the lesson into smaller pieces. Several times, I did ride through it - once I got what I wanted from them, and praised them for it, they stopped and did not start again. They seemed to grow out of it as they got more experienced and confident about being riding horses.

Horses were 3yrs apart in age, and never lived on the farm at the same time. Both were ridden in KK type french link gentle snaffles and were REALLY good minded and easy to train.

That is my experience with teeth grinding, I think a lot of how you choose to deal with it depends on what you determine the root cause to be.
                  Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                  ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

Teeth grinding in horses is often a sign of ulcers.
                    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Comment

I wonder why horses get ulcers?

Comment

My own idea was to use honey-comb as a cheap alternative to gumbits. (honeycomb = edible wax). However I never actually tried due to how messy/sticky honeycomb is. Maybe you can be brave and try it.

Comment

I have a 3 year old that grinds when he gets nervous. He did it in the cross ties when I was getting him ready, bit not even in his mouth yet. I just give him tons of treats, and I mean tons, carrots, apples, whatever I can get my hands on, and I do it when tacking him up, and even when I ride. I will stop and give him a treat. He doesn't grind at all anymore, and has relaxed a bunch as well, the work and handling is always rewared with a treat. It helped him a bunch, just a simple carrot every minute or so. Now I don't have to give them as often.

Also I don't put his noseband on very tight at all.

Comment

My ottb did (and occasionally still does when anxious) all sorts of things with his mouth. I ignore it and it goes away. It is often a wake up for me to check my position and ride him forward.
                            A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Instead of a gumbit, you could try a basic soft rubber bit. They tend to be pretty cheap and this worked for a tooth grinder I have.

Christa

Comment

We have a horse that grinds his teeth when he gets mad.
                                http://community.webshots.com/user/trakehner013

Comment

ulcers

I have not had a single horse in my barn that would grind their teeth and did not have ulcers, including grinding their teeth in the cross ties with no bit in, like someone else mentioned. I would strongly suggest you look into that. It correlates with new riders, new exercises and harder work because all of these things can add stress to a horse. I am not saying that all horses that grind their teeth have ulcers, but every single one that has come through my barn that does it has had them in some form or another.
                                  www.trainoreventing.com

Comment

No offense, but tightening a noseband, imho, only increases grinding and/or anxiety. Getting to the root cause of the grinding is the only answer, not muffling the sound.
                                    Savor those rides where you feel like a million bucks, because there will be those where you feel like a cheap date...

Comment

[QUOTE=mzm farm;4394572]I had two young horses (full brother and sister, incidentally) that would grind teeth when learning new things, or when new riders were up and asking for things in a different way. I took it as a peaceful (vs. rearing, bucking) sign of being pushed and would most often back off a touch and break down the lesson into smaller pieces.

I have a guy who used to do the same thing. And he only ever did it if I was asking him to work on tougher stuff. But, he would only grind his teeth when he was actually doing the movement correctly and then would quit after a bit. I just took it as him saying "I dont like it, but Ill do it".

Comment

My now seventeen yr old OTTB went though stages of that. It always was when he was working through something new and usually doing it very well, like working through his back and moving to a higher level of consistency/throughness and collection. I tried to stop as soon as he would stop for a moment. My instructor thought it was his emotional way of dealing with the mental pressure of the more concentrated physical work. He still does this on a rare occasion.

I (we) did not take this as a thoughtful "I'll do it but I won't like it" activity. Just kind of like how we people might twist our own tongues when we are trying to unscrew a tight cap or something? I also had another advanced level rider teach me and she thought the same thing.
                                        Last edited by cutemudhorse; Sep. 24, 2009, 08:47 PM. Reason: additional statement

Comment

Working...
                                        X