• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

German FN still vindictive mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German FN still vindictive mode

http://www.sms-pferdenews.de/

babelfish:

<< Next shock for Isabell Werth: The five times Dressur Olympic champion has new suspension added by German FN.

FEI gave six months suspension.
    The central recommendation of the commission of the German olympic sport federation (DOSB), that submitted its final report on Tuesday in goods village, demands a further one year suspension.

`We must follow the recommendations of the commission ´, said FN Secretary-General Soenke Lauterbach.

Thus the 40 years old Werth must fear there will be no time to try to qualify for 2010 WEG..>>

Yayy German FN.

They handpicked the commisssion that made the ruling. Breido made Wendt the scapegoat while he and his henchman Lauterbach continue to sup at the trough.

What a vindictive bunch of petty creatures.
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

If I were Isabelle Werth I would apply for citizenship with the Netherlands while pregnant.

You're absolutely right Canyonoak - what a bunch of nasty, petty, little minds!! They don't deserve a rider of Isabelle's caliber!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Comment

a further one-year suspension for what? What did she do now?!

Comment

Originally posted by spotted mustang View Post
        a further one-year suspension for what? What did she do now?!
        She stepped on some toes belonging to people who are born with blue blood.

Comment

If I were Isabelle Werth I would apply for citizenship with the Netherlands while pregnant.
          HMM, I was thinking that too except that her sponsors might not want that.

Comment

I actually got an email from Isabel last week. I had written to her just to offer my support & she wrote me back. Very nice of her.
            I don't make a habit of writing people I don't know but she has given the dressage world so much. I just hate that all of this is happening to her.
            Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
            www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Comment

It's only fair. She has damaged the sport massively with her actions and it is about time this kind of behavior from supposed role model athletes stops. A honestly earned bronze medal weighs more than a gold abonnement based on fraudulent activity. All she has been giving to the sport in the last couple of months is a bad reputation and massive negative press resulting in tremendous cuts into both TV coverage and public support of our sport.
              Surely it is tough for her but she is educated and smart enough she was aware what the odds were when she decided to have longterm psychopharmaka administered to her showhorse. Why do so many people pretend nothing bad has happened? I personally hate to be robbed of TV coverage for the main show events and I hate suddenly having to defend my sport against critizism from non-equestrian friends. I'm tired of it and I applaud the FN they are finally at least trying to do something about it.
              Froh zu sein bedarf es wenig...
              http://www.germanhorseconnection.com
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Germa...m/237648984580

Comment

What does it work out into, in practical terms?

Does it start from the date of the initial fei provisional suspension when the drug test first came back? Then it really is just adding a little bit to the FEI suspension.

I don't feel the same as either the yay isabel's or the bad bad isabel groups.

I think both groups make this matter too black and white.

I think expecting the organizations to come up with drug clearing times and lists of what can be used and not used is unrealistic. They might come up with a list of what meds are considered 'dope' and what's considered 'medicine' but even that is fraught with difficulty and controversy.

First, it would be seen by the public as encouraging and condoning drug use. Second, it denies the complexity and variability of drug clearing times. Third, it denies the issues of drug masking and of new drugs, which are constantly becoming available.

The bottom line for me, is that the responsible person has to educate him/herself on medications he uses on his horses. He can't actually take his vet's word, not any more. He has to become something of a pharmacologist himself. He cannot resort to an excuse of 'I didn't know', and the public can't expect leniency for him if he does.

He may have to discuss it with several vets, a human doctor, talk to other riders and trainers privately, go to pdr.com...Yes, medication for horses has gotten complex enough that s/he has no choice but to learn a great deal about any med he is going to give his horse during the competition season.

The responsible person has to realize that at the top, he is under a public microscope. He has to realize he could be 'made an example of' if his horse gets a positive drug test. He has to realize that politics in organizations, alliances and dynamics, are such that he could get his ass handed to him on a platter if he draws the public eye with a positive drug test.

He has to realize the repercussions of using a human psychiatric drug, too, as many people (whether you think legitimately or not) have a horror of these particular drugs.

THIS drug, being used on a horse, just bothers me. Horsemen very often go by experience rather than research because there IS very little research on medications for horses. And they rarely would recognize the name of this drug or know what it's used for in humans, or even what it does, let alone its side effects. But this drug, as well as its wide use in the USA as a sedative on horses, just bothers me. I am not against medication, so don't even go there. But I think there are better alternatives if a sedative must be used, as well as times when sedatives are being used, and shouldn't be used at all.

I understand a rider needs to be able to give medications as she sees fit, to her horses, based on what she knows and what she is trying to do to help her horses. Whisper may have benefited from having this medication for the farrier - I'm sure the farrier benefitted if the horse was quiet and safer to work on. If the horse jerks its hind legs or pulls away on three legs, it can be horrible for the farrier's back and knees. He might even get hurt and not be able to work for some number of days. He might even refuse to work on a horse that hurts him or strains his back.

Whisper MAY have benefitted from getting this particular medication for Shivers. That is unclear. There is no research to read about this.

Whisper's performance MAY have been altered. Some of us insist it must have been and that Isabel is lying, and this horse was medicated to enhance his scores one person even named movements this was done to improve. Others insist she was telling the truth and just helping her horse be comfortable during shoeing. No one seems to agree on this.

I think how people come down on this depends not on what the truth is, because no one of us was there and saw what went on, but on their own experience and emotions. How we react says more about us and our experiences than about 'the truth', because none of us were there.

If they have had frustrating experiences with the organizations, they assume the organizations are unfair. If they were upset that Courtney King got a positive drug test for her horse after some unknown exposure during an emergency, they're more likely to condemn the organization in this case. If they're rah rah USA, they may assume Courtney was 'in the right' and Isabel was 'in the wrong'. If they're furious watching the organizations struggle to get their arms around the new drug test technology, they will react to isabels situation differently.

If they have an old horse at home that can show with a little bute under USEF rules and the FEI drug no tolerance policy is something they just can't get onboard with, they can be predicted to come down with a less anti-isabel response, or even with a really furious, hot headed, defensive, angry reaction like some did here. If they've become distrustful of the top riders through what they've seen or heard, they may assume all the eggs at the top are rotten, everyone lies, no one can be trusted.

Comment

with a phot of her being seven months pregnant

http://www.eurodressage.com/news/dre...uspension.html
                  --
                  Europe\'s Largest Dressage and Breeding News Related Website
                  http://www.eurodressage.com

Comment

Originally posted by eurodressage View Post
                    with a phot of her being seven months pregnant

http://www.eurodressage.com/news/dre...uspension.html

your site appears to be down.....

Comment

that link takes me to Network Solutions, not eurodressage.

Comment

Well if I was her I would appreciate being able to spend a lot of time with the little one without having to explain herself and her show-schedule (or lack thereof) to an overzealous fanclub. Who knows maybe she set up this whole thing to get rid of some of the pressure. Becoming a mom changes life so drastically I could understand if she had a desire to kiss the top-competition good bye and elegant way for a while.
                        I wish her the best of deliveries and a happy 'young-mom's' time.
                        Froh zu sein bedarf es wenig...
                        http://www.germanhorseconnection.com
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Germa...m/237648984580

Comment

I just doubt it was deliberate.

But I also doubt Whisper came to her without this issue.

Comment

I don't feel the same as either the yay isabel's or the bad bad isabel groups
                            Typical misrepresentation of what has been posted. According to the essay you have written, though, you must be in the bad isabel group.

Despite what you say, I don't think very many people see it as a black and white issue. Having read the discussions, I'd say most people think a penalty is appropriate for breaking the rules regardless of intention and gain,etc. Those issues are irrelevant to the rule.

The only question is how severe should the penalty be. It 's not about yay isabel or bad bad isabel. Get a grip.

Comment

I agree with Kareen. If not resolved, the drug problem could definitely be the nail in the coffin for German equestrian sports. Even if it is more a matter of "public perception" of the sport--because, in the end, that is everything.

I am currently reading a new book called "Headless Horsemen" by Jim Squires which is about the drug culture in thoroughbred racing, the growing negative public perception of the sport and the moves toward reform. He quotes a well known Kentucky vet who talks about his concession to the demands of owners and trainers looking for a chemical advantage.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/pro...283155&s=books

All equestrian sports PTB should be paying attention if they want their sports to remain healthy and thriving.
                              "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Where is the vindictiveness?

Her actions had consequences. She admitted she broke the rules, the FN is obliged to respond. They didn't give her the maximum penalty. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Again I commend her for her early and forthright admission and wish and her well for the birth of her child.
                                See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Comment

Breido. The Other Napoleon.

Comment

Originally posted by Kareen View Post
                                    I hate suddenly having to defend my sport against critizism from non-equestrian friends. I'm tired of it and I applaud the FN they are finally at least trying to do something about it.
                                    Regardless of what Isabel did or did not do, this type of thing happens in EVERY sport, so I would not be overly concerned about "having to defend my sport."

Comment

I don't understand, I thought the FN had said after her sentence that they were NOT going to do this.

It isn't as much the vindictiveness that bothers me as much as the seeming inability to stick with any sort of plan.

Comment

Originally posted by suzy View Post
                                        Regardless of what Isabel did or did not do, this type of thing happens in EVERY sport, so I would not be overly concerned about "having to defend my sport."

I disagree. There is the added element of the perception of "animal abuse and cruelty" in equestrian sports. Due to PETA and other animal rights activists, there is an increasing scrutiny and public outcry when it is perceived that animals are being mistreated or exploited.

This is much different than human sports in which the athletes are free to choose what they want to do to their own bodies. There is not much of an activist movement to save them from themselves--there is just the issue of fairness and good sportsmanship.

Furthermore, human sports like baseball and football are SO popular that they can withstand almost any negative publicity. This is not the case with equestrian sports that are not so popular and already criticized as elitist, etc.
                                        "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Working...
                                        X