• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Saddle fitter's advice - WWYD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle fitter's advice - WWYD?

Just curious about what anyone thinks of the advice that I recently got from a highly recommended saddle fitter:

I have a typical, foundation-like QH mare - big butt, sort of downhill-built, very wide and flat backed. Off the rack saddles press down in the middle of her back and can be narrow in the shoulder for her, and I had two different fitters check out the saddles I had when she was bought, both said that neither fit her well enough. First one did a decent evaluation, but my trainer really wanted me to make an appointment with her fitter instead, so I did to get a second opinion. Second fitter is a rep for Albion, but said she would look at any saddle I wanted as well.

My plan was to get tracings & an evaluation, and find a gently used, wool-flocked high quality dressage saddle to adjust to my girl. Fitter immediately rejected the Passier I had on trial, then would not discuss anything having to do with finding a used saddle at all. She insisted that my horse needed a saddle built to template, and of course this costs 50% more than I can really afford. She would not talk to me about tree sizes, brand recommendations, or anything whatsoever except ordering a new Albion.

I am very disappointed and losing sleep over whether to shell out the money for a brand new saddle so my horse is comfortable. I am seriously ready to spend up to $2k on her, but having a hard time over $3k, and don't understand how there could not be a used saddle out there that would fit her well after some adjustment. Many on this board also recommend this fitter, and I know she is highly respected, but I just feel like this is ridiculous.

What did the first fitter say? Did her evaluation match the second fitter's?

I use a wintec Isabel on my Araby-like appy mare, but have used it on a QH (built small and long and low and WIDE, no withers) with no problems at all. I also use a thin pad made by Len Brown under the saddle, and it has made my "fits pretty good" saddle just work fantastically for my mare. No shimming of the saddle, just a thin pad.

I would look around again, are there any other fitters in your area? Any saddlers who could tweak a "fair good" saddle for you?

Comment

an albion is an off the rack saddle - so no matter what teh fitter says it isnt going to be a perfect fit.

my suggestion would be find a good used "custom" saddle and have the saddle maker fit it to your horse....

this is what i ended up doing..... i got a saddle that would cost 7k new for 1800 used and then the saddle maker took it apart restuffed it for my mare and wala! for 2k i get a pretty custom fit for a great price!

i am not sure who makes saddles in your area, but you can always contact shleese (sp), or maybe JRD (not sure if he goes to your neck of the woods, but his is the saddle i bought and i love it), and there are a few other real custom saddle makers out there that can hook you up with a used version of their saddle then fit it to your horse - hopefully for around 2k.

ETAL: you can do a tracing of your horse, and also knowing what size albion fits your horse is not going to help you know what size she wears in any other saddle as unfortunately most saddles are measured differently....

Comment

It is ridiculous. Sounds like you're the victim of a pushy salesman.

Take your money elsewhere and don't be shy in sharing your experiences with your acquaintances.

You do not own the only foundation-like QH out there and they are not all being ridden in an Albion.

Go back to your first saddle fitter. Also keep in mind that many trainers have an arrangement with a local fitter where they get a cut or some other kick-back for directing their clients towards a certain dealer. An ethical trainer would have disclosed this to you when making the recommendation (does your trainer ride in Albion saddles?).

Comment

Hmm, realised my reply probably wasn't real helpful. I went through 13 saddles (all sold to me "guaranteed to fit your horse!") before I found the one I have now. A Duett saddle might help with the wide shoulders issue - I have the same problem. My girl is very A-frame and appears narrow, but needs to take a wide tree head as she has big shoulders.

I found that people who were convinced that one product was "the best!" were often reluctant to accept any other products. I know, I was one once and my horse suffered for it. I had this "super saddle" and was convinced it would work with tweaking, and that wintecs/bates were the most evil things on the planet. My horse ended up having months off with back strain, and when I brought her back into work, I borrowed a friend's Isabel "to see what a dressage saddle was like", and my mare just about hit me over the head and said "WHY did you not get this in the first place, you ignorant blip!"

Horses for cou... err, saddles!

Comment

• Original Poster

The first fitter did more of an eval of my current saddles, and we didn't really talk much about what to look for. I had a Toulouse hunt saddle and a Wintec Isabell at the time, and wasn't sure what kind of saddle I was going to replace first, seeing as neither one was good. First fitter did re-stuff the Isabell, but still was not very happy with it. It also doesn't really fit me all that great anyway, so I decided to look for a new dressage-type after that.

There are other fitters, but I am concerned about peoples' motivation to sell their product, vs. having the knowledge and skill to fit me and my horse. First fitter seemed reputable enough, don't know much about their history or skill level. Second fitter has glowing recommendations from people I know re: fitting & balancing skills, but I still question the motivation of why they would not answer any of my questions about finding a used or demo saddle that was more affordable.

I get all wrapped up in knots over stuff like this because I am not the professional, and don't know whether the advice is good or flawed in order for someone to make a buck off of me. I have had crappy experiences in the horse world before (who hasn't...) where a "professional" gets loads of cash from me before I realize that they were just out to separate me from my money instead of actually taking our well-being into account.

This saddle-buying stuff is so frustrating & expensive, and I just want to buy something that works without emptying the bank and filling the credit card...

Just to clarify about my trainer, she strongly encouraged me to buy used to save $$$, was not trying to push the Albion at all...
            Last edited by KnightShade; Sep. 20, 2009, 11:27 PM. Reason: Re: trainer

Comment

Don't buy the hype.

Saddle fitting is detailed, but not rocket science. It will be a PITA, but you can both find the right saddle for your horse and teach yourself about what goes into good saddle fit, and when good enough really is good enough.

There is probably a used saddle out there for you. But you may spend lots of time and money looking for it because your horse's conformation is not average nor a shape saddlers acknowledged until recently. If you study, however, you will know the right saddle when it passes by you and you may be able to buy it cheaply precisely because it won't have wide appeal.

Studying is key. In your position, I'd get wither tracing instructions from Smith Worthington, Hastilow or Cliff-Barnsby websites and then make my own. After that, I'd start trying on every reasonable candidate I could get my hands on. Here you are partly looking for one that actually fits, but also learning about how different brands of saddles/shapes of panels etc. fit your mare.

There are also many, many technical threads on saddle fitting here. Look for one started by Risk-Averse Rider. Look for other COTHers who were part of a series of saddling threads back in May. You might find threads started by them, too.

Of course you can always come back here for help if you decide to stage your own saddle hunt as many of us have done.

Best of luck!
              The armchair saddler
              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

You do not have an oddball one of a kind horse.

I personally would steer clear of a fitter who aligns themselves with one brand.

They have a dog in the fight..and it's not YOUR dog.
                A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

There are good fitters out there that will work with you and help you find and fit a saddle that works well for you and your horse, within your budget. When I was in northern VA, I worked once with Bill Woods, who was very good. I seem to recall that Fredericksburg is within his range of service. He was a bit hard to schedule, as he serves a HUGE circuit in that area, but worth waiting for.
                  Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
                  -Albert Camus

Comment

Originally posted by mbm View Post
                    an albion is an off the rack saddle - so no matter what teh fitter says it isnt going to be a perfect fit.

my suggestion would be find a good used "custom" saddle and have the saddle maker fit it to your horse....

this is what i ended up doing..... i got a saddle that would cost 7k new for 1800 used and then the saddle maker took it apart restuffed it for my mare and wala! for 2k i get a pretty custom fit for a great price!

i am not sure who makes saddles in your area, but you can always contact shleese (sp), or maybe JRD (not sure if he goes to your neck of the woods, but his is the saddle i bought and i love it), and there are a few other real custom saddle makers out there that can hook you up with a used version of their saddle then fit it to your horse - hopefully for around 2k.

ETAL: you can do a tracing of your horse, and also knowing what size albion fits your horse is not going to help you know what size she wears in any other saddle as unfortunately most saddles are measured differently....
                    I don't understand why a saddle that was custom made for somebody else's horse's back is going to fit any better than a saddle that was madeoff the rack.

If the tree is appropriate for the horse it is appropriate for the horse, regardless of whether it was specifically created for somebody else's horse first.
                    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

There is no reason your horse has to have a brand-new "custom" Albion, especially since the trees on those saddles can be adjusted a bit! That's absurd.

Do you have any pics of your horse? Maybe someone could recommend a brand to try based on pics.

Comment

Originally posted by coloredhorse View Post
                        There are good fitters out there that will work with you and help you find and fit a saddle that works well for you and your horse, within your budget. When I was in northern VA, I worked once with Bill Woods, who was very good. I seem to recall that Fredericksburg is within his range of service. He was a bit hard to schedule, as he serves a HUGE circuit in that area, but worth waiting for.
                        I second Bill. It only took a couple of weeks for him to come out and fit my horses. He did a great job and offered good advice. I told him that I really liked the Black Country Quantum for a jump saddle, but even though he sells Black Country saddles, he told me that the Quantum would not be a good fit for my horses. Also, I think his prices are pretty reasonable which is a bonus. I haven't had him fit my dressage saddle yet, but with my close contact Prix de Nation, he told me that it didn't fit either of my horses well enough to bother with restuffing. So I had him fit my Stubben Lohengrin (which I thought was possibly too small for my horses) and he said that it was actually slightly too wide for both of them but that with some reflocking it can work. Since I don't have the money right now to get it reflocked, he suggested a couple of saddle pads to be a temporary fix. He definitely understands that not all of us are made of money and is happy to offer less expensive solutions.
                        "I was not expecting the park rangers to lead the resistance, none of the dystopian novels I read prepared me for this but cool."

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                          I don't understand why a saddle that was custom made for somebody else's horse's back is going to fit any better than a saddle that was madeoff the rack.

If the tree is appropriate for the horse it is appropriate for the horse, regardless of whether it was specifically created for somebody else's horse first.
                          well.... unless you have a "standard" type horse sometimes it can be better to see if you can find a custom made saddle that has the qualities your horse needs. (plus, hand made custom saddles tend to be of higher quality and better (internal) design - and this is the reason why they can cost up to 9k !!)

so, as as example - i have a mare that has huge narrow shark withers, and is wide in the shoulder & barrel , a very forward girth groove and a long low back.... i have never found an off the rack saddle that fit her properly.... but i was able to find a custom saddle that had the tree she needed..... the saddler then totally reflocked it for her back.

you cant always find a used custom saddle that will fit - but if you do it can be a great way to get an excellent saddle at a good price.

ETA: i spent a goodly amount of time st the saddlers getting lectured on how trees are made, how different designs fit (or not) how different tree points length affects the shoulder, how the width of the twist affects things, how the width of the channel affects things etc etc etc.

i came away understanding that many off the rack saddles are of inferior quality based on how the trees are made, etc etc. .. plus many fitters really have no clue and that can make it all even worse.....

Comment

I had a custom saddle maker (as opposed to a fitter) look at a few used saddles for my horse. He was able to rebuild one to fit perfectly. One saddle couldn't be made to fit at all (panels too small to adjust as needed). Passier might not work for your horse at all, but it was one of the brands he prefered to work with as far as re-building. I already owned the saddle - about $750 used and paid about $400 to have it taken apart, the tree stretched a bit, re-flocked and adjusted. Well worth it!

ETA: He also had some used saddles available which could have worked with some adjustment for under or around $2k total. I was very happy with the one I already owned, and very happy with the result.

Comment

If you liked an albion (it sounded like it fit your horse, but did YOU like it?), check Middleburg Tack or the Tack Box (the tack store up the road?) and see if they have any used Albions of the same seat size, fit/width, and model! VTO saddlery would be worth a check too!

If YOU didn't like the Albion, just start trying saddles--Middleburg lets you try 'em before you buy 'em.

Did YOU like the Passier? What model was it? Maybe some COTHERS could recommend a similar feeling saddle that would fit your mare better.

Take heart--you'll find one!!!

Comment

I kind of had a similar problem with my downhill horse with a rather flat back. Looked at probably twenty saddles and rode in 12 to 15. A total pain.

But, what tended to work was any saddle with a wide gullet, broad flat-panels, and was rounded in the back (pointy behind or banana shaped would not work).

There are a bunch of saddles that will likely fit the bill, but make sure you find something that fits you, too. Oddly enough, I did end up with an Albion Ultima, but I think the Custom Wolfgang Solo is also worth checking out. (I think you can buy that new from Dover for $2,300.)

Definitely keep looking. Turn these things over and compare gullet width and panel angle.

Comment

We were happy with our latest saddle fitter, after having tried 2 others. She was highly recommended here on coth. When I first contacted her, she wanted to know my budget and was more than willing to find something used that would work. I know she goes through your area, if you're wanting to try yet another saddle fitter, I'll pm you her info.

Comment

My guess is that the second saddle fitter said what she did because your horse has those very wide shoulders that we sometimes call "mutton withered." Horses that have shoulders like that (and I had one) are very difficult to fit. Coincidentally, I finally settled on a warmblood tree Albion, and though it was not perfect (still not quite wide enough for those shoulders!), it was the closest thing to perfect that I could find without going custom. You might try finding a warmblood tree Albion to try...used preferably...and have that reflocked.

Comment

Take the pictures and tracings on the Trumbull Mtn site and email them in. It's free, and they may just have something used that would work for you. Keep in mind when you try saddles on that some flocking will likely have to be taken out of the back to balance the saddle if your horse is downhill.

Comment

It can be possible, although maybe not probable, to find a used custom saddle that fits or with a little alteration, can be made to fit better. I found a used JRD that my very broad backed horse just went "sigh" over but the problem was that it needed a seat adjustment for me- ($$$) - even though it let me sit really correct for about the first time. Ended up going semi-custom with JRD and was very happy with it and did not spend $3,000 on it, either. To each his own though.

I'll add to the warning that some trainers get a kick back by directing clients to a certain fitter. That happened with my first semi-custom (broad backed horses ) and it didn't fit the horse as well and me even less, even though it was supposed to be fitted. That was a Shleese. Maybe if you get a good fitter it works, some people love them. I didn't find out until I left that trainer and barn just what was up.

Comment

Working...
                                        X