• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Best girth for horse thin skinned horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best girth for horse thin skinned horse?

Never thought i had this issue as my previous girth never did this. But my pony has outgrown her 18" all elastic girth and i cant seem to find them being sold anymore (Westip i think it is)... So i put my 20" ovation neoprene girth on her, and poof, one 20min ride and she's rubbed raw.

I was looking at the amerigo shaped girth since it goes so nice and narrow by the elbow, but um, frankly, no girth should cost $250... And i think the smallest i found was a 24".

So what other options are out there? Sheepskin? What do the other thin skinned horses go well in? I'm leery to go with a different neoprene if this one rubbed. Whatever i get has to come in 20"...
    Your Horse's Home On The Road!
    www.KaydanFarmsEquineTransport.com

string girth..takes care of most fitting problems.

Comment

Mohair string, or nylon string. I've used the mohair on a horse that I spent $$$ on girth that didn't rub, until they rubbed.
      Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

My young horse has the same problem. I solved it by buying a shaped sheepskin cover. Since we've been using it she's had no more rubs or swellings from her girth.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEPHENS-SHEEP...d=p3286.c0.m14

Comment

• Original Poster

Can you only get a mohair girth in natural? Do they come in black anywhere? I'm only finding natural, which i'm thinking would stick out like a sore thumb on a dark bay with white pad at shows...

Comment

I tried several different girths (including $150+ leather girths and $50 neoprene) and ended up with this (link below) for my thin-skinned Thoroughbred. It's very shaped, is durable, and has some give. My problem with the really expensive ones was finding one that was shaped enough and had a little give; this one had it all and was $100 cheaper. If it rubs, you could always get (or make) a girth cover.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=664233876
            Originally posted by RugBug
            Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Comment

• Original Poster

i saw that one in person at dover and liked it too, however, the smallest it comes is 24"... I need a 20.

Comment

Originally posted by butlerfamilyzoo View Post
                Can you only get a mohair girth in natural? Do they come in black anywhere? I'm only finding natural, which i'm thinking would stick out like a sore thumb on a dark bay with white pad at shows...
                comes in brown, too:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=664234607

Comment

This one!

Very elasticy and soft!

http://www.justforponies.com/ovation...irth20-26.aspx

Oh, but wait, I don't see it in 18"

Comment

I had a horse that had constant girth rubs for 4 years unless the girth was covered in sheepskin, BUT now he can go in any girth and hasn't had a rub in 3 years! Instead of preventing the symptoms (chaning girths and adding padding) I took away the cause of the sores in my horse.

Give this a try
                    Move the saddle back (there is a current fad to have dressage saddles too far forward, but it is easier for the horse/pony to move through their back with the saddle correctly positioned and as a bonus less girth rubs will occur)

**Most important** Take the front legs and stretch them out as far up and forward as the pony with comfortably allow you to. This pulls the baggy skin that gets pinched and broken out from under the girth. This has to be done after the girth is at it's tightest (or the skin will be recaught when the girth is tightened more).

Good luck!

Comment

For my horses the answer was a string girth. It's flexible enough that it conforms to the animal's shape.

Comment

• Original Poster

Ok, Anyone have links for stores that sell a 20" string girth of any kind in black or brown? I could live with brown, if it came in a 20", which the above link to the dover one in brown starts at 34"...

The new saddle i have does stay back on her, the first to do so, so i know that is not the issue. I do not recall if i pulled the loose skin forward or not when i rode her yesterday, but i usually do. My all elastic girth never did this to her. Passier makes an all elastic girth but its a 24".

Anyone know if you can still get a Westip elastic girth anywhere? I would be happy to just get a 20" but no one seems to carry them anymore. My 18" one has had heavy use for 4yrs and still looks like brand new... Wonder why they arent being sold anymore.

Comment

I use a sheepskin girth - its about $25-$30 from SmartPak for my sensitive flower. Works like a charm! No more girthiness.

Comment

You can get a string girth in black, brown or white in sizes as small as 18" here https://www.stubbendirect.co.uk/stub...rth-p-195.html

I have an 20" black girth for my thin skinned Welara and we've had no issues with it.

I also had one of these, in the black & natural, until it shrank. I believe they can do custom orders, so you could get all black. http://www.actionridertack.com/catal...products_id=59

Comment

For my thin skinned grey filly, I got a cheap fleece girth--REALLY cheap--and it works better than any of the very spendy options.
                              Eileen
                              http://themaresnest.us

Comment

Originally posted by butlerfamilyzoo View Post
                                Never thought i had this issue as my previous girth never did this. But my pony has outgrown her 18" all elastic girth and i cant seem to find them being sold anymore (Westip i think it is)... So i put my 20" ovation neoprene girth on her, and poof, one 20min ride and she's rubbed raw.

I was looking at the amerigo shaped girth since it goes so nice and narrow by the elbow, but um, frankly, no girth should cost $250... And i think the smallest i found was a 24".

So what other options are out there? Sheepskin? What do the other thin skinned horses go well in? I'm leery to go with a different neoprene if this one rubbed. Whatever i get has to come in 20"...
                                Here's a Westip, but it looks like the smallest size is 22"

http://www.paddocksaddlery.com/browse.cfm/4,1533.html

They have a cotton web ovation girth in a 20" on that site, too. Cotton web always seems to work for me.
                                "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

I've never seen a horse be rubbed by a Wintec Elastic girth, and they are available in 20". They don't seem to stick to the skin like the cheaper neoprene girths do. Of course, I also tend to leave my girth a bit on the loose side. I once realized when I was jumping that I could stick a whole fist under the girth.

I think it's the Action Rider site that does nice custom string girths. A friend had one made and the quality was good.

Comment

I'm going to second Hampton Bay. I also have never seen a horse rubbed raw in a wintec girth and I know lots of people who use them (myself included).

I'm not a huge fan of shaped girths unless a girth seriously rides up on your horse's elbows because they significantly narrow the point of contact. Instead of a wide girth that distributes the pressure, they concentrate the pressure to the narrow area that is cut back. Some horses find this mighty uncomfortable.

J.
                                    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

I think the best girth is those Le Tixerant girths. I have a very girthy horse and it's the only one she tolerates all the time. Of course, I've only been able to borrow them and am still saving up for my own:-( They are made of a material that is used for bed ridden hospital patients so VERY soft. They are also different because they stretch under the belly instead of at the sides. They look really funny, but I haven't met a horse yet that didn't love them. I know they come in small sizes, too. Good luck.

Comment

Either fleece or sheepskin, maybe with double ended elastic? works for me!

Comment

Working...
                                        X