• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

From sinner to saint - no gimmicks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From sinner to saint - no gimmicks

Well, the poor horse wasn't exactly a "sinner" as I doubt his problems were his fault, and he may not be exactly a "saint" now, but the difference is amazing. I've always been a fan of this trainer/rider's videos as the calmness, quiet hands, and the obvious respect she has for the horses just shines through.

Before

After

It is amazing what saddle time and patience can do.

A gifted rider, in my eyes.
    Last edited by hitchinmygetalong; Sep. 12, 2009, 10:15 AM. Reason: missing word
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

I'm a fan of hers. She's such a quiet, patient rider. Nice to see those videos, where the problem is fixed with patience, perseverance and a simple snaffle. In the first video, I really thought he was going to go up and over. She's very brave, that Halfpassgal.

I love watching the before and afters. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Very nice!! Those early rides would have completely unnerved me, yet she serenely rode them out as if nothing was happening. I wish I had a fraction of that security!
      I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
      Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Comment

Excellent videos. I have a student with a purebred Arab (a rescue) who had issues similar to, but not nearly as bad as "Sabi's. Novice adult rider, who'd ridden a little as a young woman. I wondered what I'd gotten myself into with this pair -- uffda!

The student is the most persistent, focused, patient person in the world. She has improved her riding and the horse's issues through hard work alone. I wish we had documented with photos or videos. A lost opportunity.

Hats off to this young woman for her excellent work with Sabi. Proves it can be done without gadgets.

Comment

What do you mean no gadgets. Horrors! She has a treed saddle! and a snaffle bit! oh the humanity!

That girl has a lovely velcro seat and leaves her hands tactful as a result.
          "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

Wow. And all without tieing him down and tieing his mouth shut. Who'da thunk.

Very impressive. That's the kind of work and time spent with a horse wich retrains his brain and gets him to trust that he isn't going to be manhandled. Can you imagine how that horse would have responded to side reins, leverage bit, and tieing his mouth shut, with his head cranked in? Over time, this horse knows he can respond without reprucussions, so he can leave his old habits behind. Very nice, very nice.
            Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

Over time, this horse knows he can respond without reprucussions, so he can leave his old habits behind.
              That's just it, over time. Some people don't want to take that time. Crank it into a frame, make it safe enough to ride, use a quick fix. Like Veruca Salt in Willy Wonka: "Give it to me now!"

HPG seems to have infinite patience. Does anyone off hand know the time span between the before and after video?

Comment

I don't know the history of the horse in the video, but my student's horse had been a show horse, was purchased by a man who's hobby it is to buy Arabians out of the kill pen.

From there, he ended up as a school horse, for which he was unsuited. This is a hot, sensitive Arab. I can only imagine what the riding school did to him to attempt to make him "safe' for their (mainly) child clients. (I know the place) Proving too hot for kids, he ended up at a rather notorious "horse rescue", where my soon-to-be student found him and fell in love with him. Unfortunately, not before the ignorant volunteers at this rescue rode the baygeezus out of him, with a variety of harsh bits, harsher hands and non-existent riding skills.

By the time my student got him, he was a stargazing, hollow-backed basketcase who tried to escape the expected pain by bolting, spinning, backing. Similar to the video horse, but not that violent. Student asked, "what do I do with him?" I told her to buy a mild snaffle bit and for the present, stay off his face at all costs, and give him a chance to realize you're not going to hurt him. So, for a long time, she steered him into corners to stop him.

Rehab took years, and all credit to my student, who never gave up on this horse. He now goes round and over the back, happy, and at 22, in better shape then he was at 18, when Student got him. The only gadgets we used were long lines (he loves to double-lunge) and occasionally Vienna Reins, used only when lungeing. This was to help him get over going hollow. Viennas allow the horse to find his own position. Nothing was forced with this horse.

He'd had enough of that treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Beasmom View Post
                  He'd had enough of that treatment.
                  My guess is that in the "before" video, the horse was feeling about the same. If he had ever been invited to go forward into a soft, receiving hand, someone had slammed that door shut very well and he wasn't about to trust any rider enough to try it now. You can't blame him.
                  Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

I love her videos as well. She posts (well used to) on another board and we were able to get updates very often and see the other pics of her riding her horse, Denny. I believe she was/is ill and had to sell her horse. Im not sure if she is riding much anymore. I miss her posts.
                    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Comment

while i agree she has a velcro seat, and i give her credit for working with some of those horses, and bringing them back from the edge, some of her choices seem odd.

as an example: every trainer i know would of put the arab on the lunge and built confidence /muscle there and then put a rider on while still on the lunge and recreated good work and finally then taken the horse off the lunge once confirmed on the lunge. it just sets the horse up to answer correctly.

also, i think, having been there myself, that riding with straight arms is very "hard/pulling" and i think that adds another layer of difficulty in doing what she does....

Comment

The poor horsey would never have been so bad if someone hadn't been mean to him, the rider who took this horse on has her arms too stiff and caused or prolonged the problem, and she should have been longeing him.

Talk about oh the humanity, LOL.

Comment

I must have watched a different video mbm. Her arms, elbows and hands are soft. Very soft considering the actions and reactions of the horse. Try watching the reins, she maintains some contact but not a tight rein. She isn't tensing up or riding defensively, just sitting it out quietly and gently asking for forward movement.
                          The horse doesn't not know what to do...the horse's wiring was screwed up after it was trained and it's responses are drastic. Longeing doesn't work for resisting the rider. The horse isn't what I'd call out of condition either...he's performing some impressive lateral and backwards moves...if he were lacking in endurance or condition he'd be exhausted by that workout. He's showing nervous sweat, not exhausted.
                          The horse is a bundle of nerves and defensiveness. He requires a calm confident rider who lacks getting angry or frustrated. That's what the horse got in this case...this isn't an uncommon issue that stems from a sensitive horse who had a defensive or frustrated rider or trainer and was probably gadgeted too much. Looks like his mouth ran into hard hands with a harsh bit too often. Many horses who back or go lateral like that have had reactions to too much bondage of the head movement, too hard hands and too severe a bit.
                          it just sets the horse up to answer correctly.
                          In this case, I'd disagree. Strongly. In a case like this, going straight to the longe line and keeping the horse there and then the rider there isn't going to improve anything. It might be the "safest" idea from a trainer not equipped to deal with this type of ride, but this horse doesn't need a nervous trainer. Backing off and sticking with the least contact with the horse possible from the length of a longe line wouldn't help, but riding it out in a calm, gentle and non-aggressive manner shows the horse that everything is okay...and that acting that way will not get it out of being ridden either. Nervous trainers ruin as many horses as the nervous riders who flock to them. They're the type to take a horse like this, cover it in gadgets and stick it on a longe line and wait and hope that it "calms down" so the nervous trainer can then get on it. Training doesn't work that way for a horse this ruined. Poor fellow, he had to have had his brain fried pretty badly.
                          You jump in the saddle,
                          Hold onto the bridle!
                          Jump in the line!
                          ...Belefonte

Comment

Ditto, Misty!

Comment

I saw the same video as you, Misty. I saw rider being consistant and kind. Showing the horse where the open door was, out the front. Gently guiding the horse into understanding forward was the correct answer.

Impressive videos. Seems like a very smart trainer and a very smart and willing little horse.
                              "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

I ride at this barn.

HalfPassGal is still riding - as far as I know she's sticking with the younger/problem horses. She obviously has a gift for that.

To my knowledge, the horse in the video has been owned by the same person his entire life. He wasn't a show horse, and I don't believe anyone ever tied him into a frame and "fried his brain". He's a tough horse who had his owner's number.

His owner does indeed ride him, now. He's not perfect, but he's better. Sometimes his canter can get a little, er, energetic

BTW, the horses at this barn live the good life. I've never seen such a happy, relaxed herd as I do at this place.

Comment

I'm curious about how much time between the two rides?

Comment

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                                    I must have watched a different video mbm. Her arms, elbows and hands are soft.
                                    sure, but as I and every other rider has been told - straight arms are hard arms and no matter how soft your hand, when your arm is straight you cant have a soft,giving contact. bended elbows are the key to a soft giving contact.

this is standard riding theory - as for the rest : as i said - every trainer i know (and i know plenty) would of put that horse on the lunge and allow the horse to build the muscle needed to carry a rider comfortable and then put a rider on it.

Comment

I am glad to hear she is still riding. I miss her updates on HC. If/When you see her, let her know the HC crew still thinks of her!

Originally posted by Sunsets View Post
                                      I ride at this barn.

HalfPassGal is still riding - as far as I know she's sticking with the younger/problem horses. She obviously has a gift for that.

To my knowledge, the horse in the video has been owned by the same person his entire life. He wasn't a show horse, and I don't believe anyone ever tied him into a frame and "fried his brain". He's a tough horse who had his owner's number.

His owner does indeed ride him, now. He's not perfect, but he's better. Sometimes his canter can get a little, er, energetic

BTW, the horses at this barn live the good life. I've never seen such a happy, relaxed herd as I do at this place.
                                      ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Comment

"Straight arms are hard arms"

Yes but I don't think her arms are straight. I see plenty of bend in the elbow considering the antics of the horse, she is in no way locked. I am impressed with how she is able to maintain her soft seat and giving hand considering the horses antics.

I also disagree about the lunge. The way this guy is working himself up, I think this horse would be the type to flip himself. I would be very hesitant to put him on a lunge. I think a lot of trainers would not bother with a horse like this. I think he was very lucky that this young lady took him on.

Comment

Working...
                                        X