• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Questions on the Canter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on the Canter

I've been working on getting the correct canter leads with my young guy. He picks up the right lead with no problems regardless of where we are. However, getting the left lead is difficult. I have to counter flex him significantly to get him to take the correct lead..

Background: Work at walk and trot - We've been working on straightness and he tends to lean on his left (inside) shoulder. In order to help strengthen his right hind, we've been working on some shoulder fore, leg yield, and transitions between and within the gait.

From a biomechanical perspective, why is the exaggerated counterflexion (not true counter bend) necessary for him to pick up the correct left lead?

He leans on his left shoulder? You mean he falls in to the left, and you feel like you're on a motorcycle that is leaning over and going to fall on the ground? He feels harder on the left rein? You always feel like you have to use your left leg because he winds up actually drifting toward the left even on a straight away, like a perpetual leg yield you don't want? A circle left gets suddenly smaller and you wind up having to struggle to keep a larger circle? And on the other side, you try to make a smaller circle, and he resists? All of the above?

His right leg is weak? You're saying that because he leans on the left side, or because he has an actual injury or problem with his right leg? His right foot hits the ground wide of his left foot, or out further from his body midline than the left foot? His lef hind foot hits the ground way in toward his midline? All of the above?

It may not mean the right leg is weak. It may mean the left side is so over-weighted, that the right hind leg is simply not working. It can get to feel 'weaker' simply because it's not getting used as much.

He does shoulder fore, leg yield and transitions 'to strengthen his right leg'. So does that mean that you do more of these when going right? Left? Neither? Does the question being posted here mean the shoulder fore, leg yield and transitions haven't helped?

One possible is that without realizing it you use more left rein and bend him more left and the right rein is less, which causes horses to fall in on the left.

One possible is that the person who started him taught him to pick up the left lead by bending his neck to the outside. That's how a lot of breakers teach horses to canter. One lead is usually sprawly and long, the other more upright and stiff (often the left). Turning the head to the outside is an old trick to get the stiff lead.

The other is that without realizing it, you use more right leg, and push your horse over toward the left.

The other is that to avoid picking up the left lead, the horse throws his shoulder to the outside, exactly during the moment of transition. This is sometimes just a habit and nothing to do with any weakness or pain. With a green youngster it is very common.

Assume you know if your horse is lame or in pain; then usual cause of canter lead problems in youngster is just stiffness and crookedness or just how sneakily clever and quick the rider is in the moment of transition.

By adopting that counter bend, you are controlling the shoulder position, so the horse can't throw his shoulder to the outside and his haunches to the inside, and grab the other canter lead.

It can suggest that there is something about the leg yields and shoulder fores, even the transitions, that need to change.

Often young (and even older) horses do these things 'like a trick', positioning a stiff unsupple body, rather than really allowing the aids to supple them.

Often it just means the suppling work they are getting needs to 'get into' them more, so that rather than just adopting a position in relationship to the rail or track, like a cued trick, they are actually loosening up and becoming more supple.

Try bending and counterbending at a posting trot on a large circle. Bending to a count of 2 left, then a count of 2 right, without an abrupt 'snap' or abandoning the outside rein, just ease him around keeping contact on both reins.

Try doing more of an angle of leg yield, along the wall (bend is left when going right, bend is right when going left). Try leg yielding from the quarter line to E or B, then finish the long side leg yielding with the bend the OTHER way(a counterbend), along the wall. Try leg yielding all the way from m to k (ie the whole long diagonal) and try to get to the letter while keeping the horse straight, urge the hind quarters to keep up and slow the shoulders down with the outside rein if the horse gets his haunches trailing. See if it's easier to go all the way across the ring leg yielding in one direction than the other.

Usually, the need to counter bend in the canter transition means the horse is crooked all the time - it just shows up more in the transition. See if the horse isn't staying straight during halt-trot transitions on the left too, correcting that can help.

Eventually, with suppling/straightening work, you should be able to control the shoulders without having to take the counter bend, instead, by just straightening the horse control the shoulders and get the canter lead.
    Last edited by slc2; Sep. 9, 2009, 06:32 AM.

Comment

If he falls on his left shoulder the left rein is normally heavier - so this is the problem getting the left lead - his left shoulder is weighted too heavily.

Take MORE contact with the right rein (read the Lisa Wilcox article that just came out) and push his left shoulder into the right rein with your hip/thigh THEN ask for the left lead canter. (Be certain right rein is about 2 inches away from the neck so you are straightening the horse using the right rein.)
      Now in Kentucky

Comment

• Original Poster

SLC and Valentina - thank you for your insights. They are helpful and I'll give them a go!

SLC, in answer to your first paragraph: All of the above Literally, when I work with him, he feels like he's leaning into my left hand and leg. It's gotten light years better, but he's still crooked. You know what's strange....is that I knew that the counter bend kept his shoulders from falling out, but his issue is ....at least until the split second before strike off..... that his shoulders fall in (left - as Valentina mentioned) and his rib cage "leans" against my left leg - then in that split second, he throws his haunches in! So, I've stopped using my right leg behind the girth/left leg at the girth cue and have TRIED to just use inside leg. It's almost as if he has to try and get the wrong lead!

I was hoping to learn more about the mechanics so I could make more sense of what I'm feeling/doing.

Valentina - Where is Lisa's new article?

Oh....one more thing..... when working on lunge line with or without side reins, he routinely picks up the right lead regardless of direction he's traveling. It takes several transitions before he picks up the left lead. When he does, he sometimes cross fires.

Comment

canter

I've found the following exercise to be very helpful.

While circling to the left, try spiraling in to a slightly smaller circle (18 meters or so) in rising trot.

Then leg yield with a bend around your left leg back out to the 20-meter circle. Make sure the bend is equal from nose to tail. He might try to just bend his neck and stay straight behind the saddle. So be sure your outside leg helps curve him around your inside leg.

As you leg yield out, soften the inside rein a few times.

Do this exercise several times until it feels "easy".

Once it feels easy, while you're still leg yielding with a bend, sit the trot for a stride or two and ask for the canter depart just before you reach the 20-meter circle.
          jane savoie
          dressage mentor

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, Jane. Great exercise! I'm envisioning that this will ensure he's working off of both of my legs and thus stepping into the contact evenly vs. leaning. Correct?

Comment

Yup.
              jane savoie
              dressage mentor

Comment

• Original Poster

I'll let you all know how it goes today! I'm excited about the new learning .

Comment

Originally posted by Tiligsmom View Post
                  SLC and Valentina - thank you for your insights. They are helpful and I'll give them a go!

... .but his issue is ....at least until the split second before strike off..... that his shoulders fall in (left - as Valentina mentioned) and his rib cage "leans" against my left leg - then in that split second, he throws his haunches in! ...

Valentina - Where is Lisa's new article?
                  Start canter from shoulder fore / renvers to prevent haunches from falling in.

I was emailed Lisa article by one of my trainers. Can email to you if you give me your address (it's a PDF file).
                  Now in Kentucky

Comment

Something else I've found really works is to ask for 3 strides of leg yiel to the left which will help push that left hind up and underneath him and then ask for the canter while that left hind is up and underneath him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiligsmom View Post
                      I'll let you all know how it goes today! I'm excited about the new learning .
                      also give as in you give on your strongest side this will help to even him up
                      also try to work him in a square areana rather than a round pen-- as dont know if you have one or not but it will help the horse be more balanced straigt and forwards using the full width and length of the school or an marked out area of 20 x60 at least so that you can use the school to lenghten and shorten his striding using the half halts stride in every transition from all walk paces all trot paces mixing the two then move up to canter paces and mix the three

if you look on my helpful links pages on the above sticky there loads of info including a really good topic by jane its all relevant to you so read all links

Comment

• Original Poster

Update from yesterday

Hi All -

OK...Yesterday, we warmed up using Jane's suggestion of spiraling in and out on a circle. I also rode in slight shoulder fore in both directions along long sides and asked for leg yield off both legs to ensure I had responsiveness to lateral requests. Then I asked for canter depart using slight leg yield out and he picked up the correct lead! We did this 3 times, after which he was very tired. It's amazing how much energy he expends in the canter.....very, very, taxing for him.

He's 5 and was started in March, so he has 6 months u/s. He's a Norwegian Fjord so his build lends itself more to pulling than carrying. The struggle with the canter is not uncommon in the breed. That being said, he moves and rides more like a horse than a pony. Below are some pics
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ah! He's adorable! Haha, sorry, those pics are just very very cute. They have such sweet faces = ) Are you tiny or is he extra big for a fjord? Your sizes are quite well suited either way.

Jane's suggestion is exactly what I did with my guy when we were practicing nailing the canter depart everytime. He came from a saddle seat barn, so he had to relearn departs (not cue with the head to the rail, and not to get so geared up before the transition).

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Savoie View Post

While circling to the left, try spiraling in to a slightly smaller circle (18 meters or so) in rising trot.

Then leg yield with a bend around your left leg back out to the 20-meter circle. Make sure the bend is equal from nose to tail. He might try to just bend his neck and stay straight behind the saddle. So be sure your outside leg helps curve him around your inside leg.

Once it feels easy, while you're still leg yielding with a bend, sit the trot for a stride or two and ask for the canter depart just before you reach the 20-meter circle.
                            Nice, have to remember this one. I love the spiral, nice piece of work to use it with.
                            Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Savoie View Post

my old trainer had me do this and it worked very well!
                              be kind to your horses mouth!

Comment

Tiligsmom,
                                I'm glad you had success. And I agree. Your guy is ADORABLE!!!

But from your post I'm concerned that you might have misunderstood part of the exercise. It's not a spiral in and spiral out.

You spiral in on a single track. (Kinda like a lollipop that has a pinwheel design).

Then leg yield back out to the larger circle. His whole body moves sideways with a bend.

Hope that clarifies things.
                                jane savoie
                                dressage mentor

Comment

...I knew that the counter bend kept his shoulders from falling out, but his issue is ....at least until the split second before strike off..... that his shoulders fall in (left - as Valentina mentioned) and his rib cage "leans" against my left leg - then in that split second, he throws his haunches in!

--This is just his way of grabbing the lead. When they are stiff they can't really push straight forward, they can only really throw the shoulder or haunch to get the transition.

So, I've stopped using my right leg behind the girth/left leg at the girth cue and have TRIED to just use inside leg. It's almost as if he has to try and get the wrong lead!

--Try just making a 'gesture' with your outside leg, bring it a little back and just set it on him, rather than actually pressing it. If you try to go to the diagonal aid before you have your horse a certain amount supple and straightened, it is a problem.

--The reason Jayne's exercise helps is that it bends the horse and supples him, and hopefully the horse is more flowing forward, so he is more able to push with his hind leg, instead of throwing himself to get the lead. It's a nice exercise for that situation.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. Deconstructing the mechanics of this is very, very helpful as that's the way my brain/learning works. If I can deeply understand what's going on and why a certain exercise does or doesn't work, it helps me be more thoughtful in problem solving. I do have a trainer with whom I work as well, but I find that the broad range of expertise on this bb adds depth to my understanding!

Jane - I didn't communicate well in my post, but I did understand your exercise on the circle and executed as such! It really highlighted to me how much "helping/holding/pressing" I'm doing with my inner/left leg vs. having him react/respond to my left leg

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by bort84 View Post
                                      Ah! He's adorable! Haha, sorry, those pics are just very very cute. They have such sweet faces = ) Are you tiny or is he extra big for a fjord? Your sizes are quite well suited either way.
                                      Thank you, bort! I'm not tiny, but I am small and he is huge for a Fjord 14.3!!!
                                      Attached Files

Comment

What a happy couple!

Comment

Working...
                                        X