• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Stretchy Trot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretchy Trot

I know there was a thread not too long ago asking for stretchy trot pics. I got a good one from my ride on Saturday, and it got me thinking about the stretchy trot. It's something that my 14 yo ottb has been willing to do for a while, but hasn't done *well* until recently. By that I mean, he has been willing to follow the contact down reasonably low, but he had a stopping point around his knees that was a comfort zone he didn't want to stretch past. It was also a challenge stretching him down, but keeping him up off his forehand and maintaining the rhythm in the trot. Often, as we did stretchy trot circle, he would gradually get more and more on the forehand, and the trot would get quicker and flatter as we went, and no amount of half halts could fix it. It was like he was trotting down a hill and couldn't stop.

Now, it seems like all of the sudden it happened without even working on the stretchy trot itself, these problems are fixed. At the same time, I have found some first level work we have been working at getting easier. It's made me reflect on the real strength required to do a good stretchy trot, and maybe especially in the case of a horse that is not an uphill build or mover to begin with. I just thought it was interesting. Anyone else find this?

Here's my pic and reflections: http://tbatx.wordpress.com/2009/08/3...akes-me-happy/
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    My Training Blog: www.dressagefundamentals.com

Nice pic! That's a great stretch.

My mare and I are working on this now, and have also experienced a sudden improvement. Part of what's happened is that she now *offers* stretchy trot, at random moments during our rides, and I am letting her have it, because I think it means she trusts me enough to stretch out her back while I'm on her. (I am not the greatest rider, and was probably bouncing on her, or getting too tense, before.) She's a tight-backed little creature, so anything that helps her relax is good! The other thing that's happened is that she no longer gets rushy/on the forehand when we come away from the wall in stretchy trot.

This is where we were on Friday -- she's really trying hard, though those geldings are distracting and getting a few stretchy steps in. In Sunday's lesson, she went down much more and stayed there and even trotted over a pole without raising her head. I wish I had video! Her conformation does not allow for "nose at the toes" stretchy; she's a Morgan, with a short neck to go along with that short back, and naturally carries herself more "up" and collected.

There's some sort of breakthrough happening; as she's also coming on the bit without a battle... We're going along, and all of a sudden she raises her back and lowers her neck and she's light and soft in my hands. It doesn't last long, but I want more!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

yes, it does take a great amount of athletic ability for a horse to stretch long and low for more than a step or two. i have found that a combination of hills and raised cavalettis helped my ottb to develop the fitness and finesse to have a decent stretchy trot.
      i also found that stroking the reins through my fingers helped. it's something my trainer suggested, saying it created a tiny fibration that encourages them to seek more. now i can stroke the reins at the walk anytime i want him to stretch his top line and boing, there we are! it's awesome
      www.destinationconsensusequus.com
      chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Congratulation!!! Isn't the same scenario happens over and over? We work and work and work and work on some movements and thought it's never going to happen it's never gonna happen... And then suddenly one day, it is there, and then we wonder why it was so hard..

I never have probem with stretchy trot (there are problems in other areas) but I use it to be part of my warm up and warm down every single ride (stretch down, go up, stretch down, go up, repeate) so maybe it is just because we have plenty of practices.

Very very cut pony.

Comment

Holy cow- GORGEOUS STRETCHY TROT!

Comment

is that picture from silverwood?

lovely stretch! forward and down!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Great stretch. see p.m.
              Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

urm your a little to far forwards as the horse looks like its about to roll or nose divewhich is over stretching the horse - the horse when asked to stretch should be relaxed you you should be sitting up and the hands by the buckle -- not as in the photo tilted and half way down his neck

look here at carl hester trianing horses at a demo from novice to grand prix
                he also explains how to let the horse stretch
                http://horseandcountry.tv/episode/ca...anor-episode-1

Comment

GG,

Thank-you for showing your picture. It was a brave thing to do, and it enables all of us to learn.

It is difficult for the horses to keep their balance while stretching down. This leads to my question. Shouldn't the horse be "tracking up" during the stretchy trot? It looks like the picture could have been taken at an off-moment, but is the horse shortening his stride some and no longer reaching forward with his hind end?

Comment

They gray on this page
                    http://www.sustainabledressage.com/r...rk_stretch.php

shows, to me, an excellent stretching trot - the horse is pretty balanced, pushing from behind, and doesn't look like he'd stumble over his nose. The rider does need to sit up, like the OP rider - you're still riding, still need to ride back to front, so don't let form suffer

IMVHO, the OP horse is too much on his forehand for it to be a really good stretch - a lot of the actual stretch is lost when on the forehand.

From that same page, further down, is a picture of a horse at liberty doing a beautiful stretchy trot
                    http://www.sustainabledressage.com/r...g_low_free.png

There's a subsequent picture (no idea if it's the same horse) which shows another good stretch - doesn't have to be really low to be of benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by dainty do View Post
                      It is difficult for the horses to keep their balance while stretching down. This leads to my question. Shouldn't the horse be "tracking up" during the stretchy trot? It looks like the picture could have been taken at an off-moment, but is the horse shortening his stride some and no longer reaching forward with his hind end?
                      I think it's difficult to tell from the photo exactly where that rear hoof is going to land. That's why I like video for stuff like this... I like that in the video I posted, maresy is tracking up pretty well. She does raise her head a little at times, probably in response to me as much as anything else. There was a time when she wouldn't even try to stretch down with me, probably because my hunter-style riding was pushing her onto her forehand too much. We "progressed" from there to a few steps of stretchy trot, followed by a "Mad Morgan trot" where she'd raise her head and speeeeeeeed up because she was losing her balance.

We've done stretchy trot in every lesson since then and she just gets better and better. My husband, who is the cameraman, still isn't getting that I want stretchy trot videos. He doesn't necessarily understand how important it is, or how happy I am with our progress.
                      You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Originally posted by goeslikestink View Post
                        urm your a little to far forwards as the horse looks like its about to roll or nose divewhich is over stretching the horse - the horse when asked to stretch should be relaxed you you should be sitting up and the hands by the buckle -- not as in the photo tilted and half way down his neck

look here at carl hester trianing horses at a demo from novice to grand prix
                        he also explains how to let the horse stretch
                        http://horseandcountry.tv/episode/ca...anor-episode-1
                        Never fails...
                        The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                        Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                        Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                        The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions guys! I know this pic is not perfect, and I did not mean to imply that I thought there was nothing that could be improved about it. I agree I could be sitting a little straighter, and I would LOVE for my horse to look like the grey that JB posted links to, but alas, he is a middle aged, beat up ottb with flat gaits. He's the kind of "average" horse everyone is talking about when they say "Any horse can do dressage!" so I think his trot (stretchy or not) will NEVER look like that, as much as I'd love for it to!

What did strike me though was how his stretchy trot improved recently. The videos QuietAnn posted show how it starts, then my horse got to where he could stretch comfortably about to his knees and carry that. There is a picture of him on my blog from the last show we went to (and yes, that is Silverwood! Love it there!!) stretching to his knees on the stretchy circle in T4. We got a 68.4% on that test, and a 7 for the movement, so I'm no Carl Hester, but I thought I was doing ok with what I had to work with. For a long time though, that was as low as I could get him to reach and stay consistantly (so QuietAnn, stick with it, your horse may reach lower yet!!).

I wondered if others had the same experience, and I thought maybe the discussion would help everyone who's working on getting a good stretchy trot. Petstorejunkie posted a few suggestions to improve stretchy trot... hills and cavaletti's, anyone else tried these? Or what other exercises helped your horse to look like the grey JB linked to?
                          Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
                          Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
                          My Training Blog: www.dressagefundamentals.com

Comment

We were having a discussion the other day about behind the vertical--is it ever ok--and the stretchy circle. Seems like the horse has to be BTV a bit to do it correctly in order to stay round and forward and without opening up the throat latch and falling on the forehand. I found this article http://www.equisearch.com/horses_rid...circle_050108/ by Courtney King-Dye, which shows much the same silhouette as the horse in the Hester video. Too often riders let the reins go and lose the impulsion as the horse's nose goes to the dirt. I recently scribed for a judge who gave 10's to two riders for the movement -- both were nicely forward, a bit BTV and the rider's hands stayed together. Lots of riders pull the hands out, as if the reins are side reins. Judge hated that. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Interesting that the judge you scribed for hated the hands coming out a bit. I've been taught that you want to keep the connection to the mouth, and so if the horse starts to fall behind the bit, you can widen your hands for a moment while you ask for more forward, to retain the connection. It is simpler than shortening and then allowing the reins to lengthen again.

Obviously the goal is not to do the stretch with the hands low and wide for the entire movement, but each movement is a bunch of moments put together.

Here is my young horse (5) back in June. This is not as foward, down and out as it could be, but I was pleased with that for her, that day.

http://www.irealm.org/horseplay/geti...2/IMG_4608.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X