• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

gal wins with 90.700

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gal wins with 90.700

wow!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I do think the new 90 is the old 80...... What's your opinion?
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Comment

Well, I don't know because I didn't get to see the rides because FEItv repeatedly denied me access to a day pass. Grrrrrr.

Comment

if only Totilas had a decent walk he might get a decent score

Comment

Sonesta, how great that you were there to see it!!!

Comment

Wow! Amazing score.

Comment

I can't believe it!

Comment

wow. what are they going to do in a year when he is stronger? give him 110%?

and now that i have seen the vid... all i can say is:not my cup of tea, and if that is what the future of top dressage is - it isnt something i will aspire too.

and before anyone lambasts me - yeah yeah, the horse is talented.... but the manner in which he is ridden just leaves me cold. honest to god it is (1970s) park horse doing dressage. how sad.

eta: i guess the meaning of "dressage" has changed - i prefer horse going how they did 15 + years ago where the horse had more freedom, more usage of their neck, more harmony, where it looked more like a partnership and a dance rather than a horse crammed together and being forced to do as its rider demands. (please see rides from Klimke, et al)

The feel is just so different - so many rides of the past would leave me in tears from joy - now i watch many of these rides and want to cry for what we have lost and how cold and hard and pumped it all looks and feels.

eXtrmeStreSSage all the way.

ok, i am done - i will go crawl back under my rock.

Comment

• Original Poster

As those of you who know me will readily attest, I am not easily impressed. That horse is freaking amazing. When he enters the ring you hear the crowd colletively catch their breath.

For those thinking he is some sort of flamboyant leg mover with no use of his back (as some of his photos imply) let me set you straight. He moves completely through up and over his back. He just actually DOES have that much freedom and movement in his hocks and shoulders. And he seems happy and pleasant and workmanlike. Not tense and stressed like Salinero.

I was blown away and thrilled to have been there.

Parzival is also a treat to watch. But the horse that got my vote as the horse I think I would most like to ride was the last to go tonight. Victoria Max-Theurer's horse Augustin. Was a lovely animal.

I took tons of pictures, but don't have a way to upload them now. Will be home Tuesday and will upload some then if anyone is interested.

Coreene, I got you a very dark navy blue (almost black) cap from the games. The only other option was very hot pink. You just don't seem like a pink kinda girl to me.
                  Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

I agree that he looks like a Park Horse doing Dressage. I do not like watching him and I do not like the manner in which he is ridden. But that is just my humble opinion.

However, I do applaud the team for how well they are doing. I am glad that the judges like them enough to give out these record scores.

I hope they do keep doing well, and I am sure he is quite happy with his mount.
                    I told you: "inside leg to outside rein, not inside leg to outside rail!"

Comment

• Original Poster

Hey, I have been around park horses for years. He is NOTHING like a park horse. He uses his body correctly for dressage. It is just over the top in movement. It is almost freaky. A friend two days ago said he must be bionic!

Comment

is there any place on the web where one can watch the rides? Could anyone post a link? Otherwise, I gotta wait for the DVD to come out, if they'll even sell it in the US (sigh..)

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZhtiCqBAGM

totilas

(and i said 1970s park.... not the park of today..)

eta again to say..... whether or not he uses his body correctly - he is held extremely tight in the neck, he is not in any way shape or form reaching for the bit, he is tense, and for his record breaking scores there are a lot of basic issues like swinging hind quarters, landing with both hind legs at eh same time in the changes etc etc.

i will give him the CPs - those are impressive.

i have this weird voice in my head saying: it is all planned - it was time for AVG to retire and they wanted to popularize dressage (ie make more money) so they thought it would be good to have horses breaking scores all over the place and have new riders who more (younger) might identify with ..... plus riders that dont have a ton of $$ etc.

it all plays just too perfectly for my taste (yeah, i am more than a tad jaded)

k, now i am really done

Comment

Just Wow!

Totilas Kur:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZhtiCqBAGM

Comment

Well just fr5eeking amazing it is and fun to stand in a sea of orange today amongst fellow crazy Dutchman..... I do not know if he deserved a record 29 10's but he deserved a top score The most unusual thing I have seen in dressage, maybe ever.JMHO.
                              Sonesta are you watching the jumping tomorrow?
                              visit us on the covered side in block 22 E19and 20
                              www.immunallusa.com
                              www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Comment

I bit the bullet and gave the FEI some $$ ($ US 15.99) for a day pass for the livestream on FEItv.org..and watched most of the kur rides.

Watching Totilas just gave me chills...the horse is so loose in the body, so strong and clear in the mind, and Edward Gal such a lovely rider...collect/extend/effortless, pirouettes in a wonderful tempo maintained before and after, pure canter beat, and just truly unbelievable piaffe, passage AND transitions. ANd of course, the floppy-eared walk out of the arena, accepting the applause as his due.

Yes: another year, and this young horse will be stronger and then the trot extensions will match (hopefully) the work named above. If there had been no error in the changes today, the score would have been closer to 93,and every single point well-earned.

Parzival was also quite amazing, it is easily the best I have seen Adelinde Cornelissen ride, but she is (not yet) anywhere near the experience of Edward Gal--or Anky.
                                Nevertheless, Parzival is possessed of enormous charm and physical ability,and her new music and harder choreography were a good showcase.

For me, ANky today gave a masterclass in what training can and will accomplish, under optimal circumstances.

(And saying that sentence will of course polarize everyone, but honestly--this was stated by the judges, so blame everyone else,not just me).

ANd there were great moments in other rides as well: Susanne Lebek on the wonderfully elegant firebreathing Potomac, her stallion that is about 50% TB blood--the most gorgeous changes and some extremely high quality work, I think the best maybe the horse has ever gone.

Augustin and Vici Max-Theurer--she is so young and yet such an old horseman's ride she gave this incredible horse! She gave him the ride he needed--steady, convincing, gaining his trust with every aid, and she finished in 5th, without really going for max!!

anyway, well worth the $16...

adding: on one of these threads, someone said that I am a "know-it-all"...and let me be the first to point out where I was wrong:

I said a while ago that Totilas would not have the really wonderful big walk that some of the other horses have (Mistral Hojris, Sterntaler).

Well, I was wrong. Toto has EVERYTHING!!!! and got scores today from the judges for all the gaits.

<g>
                                one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Comment

Wow, that was lovely. Thank you for posting the video!

Comment

• Original Poster

He did have a mistake in the tempis. Imagine what his score might have been without them. And from my seat, I was not seeing much tension - concentration, yes. And lots of exertion as one would expect from such work. But I wasn't seeing negative tension (i.e. stress or resistance).

Comment

thanks for the link - just watched. Lovely hoss, awsome. I'm not expert enough to get smart-alecki on scoring etc, but what's with that extended trot? It looked all out there in front, but was he barely tracking up behind?

Even so, awesome. I bet people will now run down the barn for his semen (Totilas', not Edward's - although maybe both?!)

Comment

• Original Poster

Edgar, wish I'd known you were here. Were you one of the weirdos in all the orange costumes? Just kidding. I've been there every day all day and into the night. I'm taking tomorrow off and resting up for the trip home.

Hey, I though Lantinus would be competing. What happened?

Comment

Working...
                                        X