• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Equation Saddlery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equation Saddlery

Anyone have a saddle by Equation Saddlery. Wondering about service, wear, fit etc. Thanks
    Friesians Rule !!

Oh boy, here comes the train...

There was a huge thread about June/July-ish of this year on the Chronicle about George/Equation Saddlery.

Folks either love or hate him. I'm on the fence

I've tried two Equation saddles in my long and still continuing saddle search.

The first one was an older Equation which I couldn't wait to get out of and my gelding was just as glad when it was off him. On my side, there was a terrible lump under my thigh (it also had the adjustable bar). I brought this saddle while George was at my trainer's and he said it was an older model he didn't like Yeah, that made three of us; me, my gelding, and George. I had the saddle on trial from Horse of Course, it promptly went back.

The second is a new Equation (built for someone else, but they didn't want it. It's a familiar story, I hear.) - fits my hard, hard to fit gelding wonderfully. He loffs it!! And goes well in it. For me? It's comfortable, but I really struggled to find my position the first two weeks I had it on trial. It's a flatter saddle and there are more options on where to sit - it's not as restrictive as the Custom Advantage I tried (which I loved, but gelding hated). I ended up buying this new Equation at a good price. It has the adjustable stirrup bars which are kind of fun to move around. I had one of my most comfortable rides in it today with the stirrup setting in a new place.

But I still think about the Custom Advantage ride and am keeping my eyes casually peeled for a Custom that will make both my gelding and I happy.

As far as saddle quality, it seems like a nice saddle. The leather is soft and the seat comfortable. The stitching, and other metal parts seem comparable to other saddles I've seen/had.

Here's the other thread: http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=199398
    Last edited by Boomer; Aug. 15, 2009, 01:19 PM. Reason: to add link to previous thread

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the link.
      Friesians Rule !!

Comment

You can send me a PM and I will be glad to share my experiance with you. I have two of his saddles, one of them have not been able to use for almost a year.

Comment

I don't have one but I remember there was this big huge tread discussing it. Some folks liked it and some hated it with passion. The worst part seems to be the worst ever service.

I was still on the fence even after reading all the bad reviews (saddles can be so personal you know).. But then a bunch of "I love you George" treads turned up by 1st time posters that completely turned me off. Those posts were obviously from sales brochures. I decided to steer clear of them because I don't want to deal with a company who relies on sales gimmicks instead of good products and services.

Comment

The worst part seems to be the worst ever service.
            Keep in mind, he is a one man show. You can't expect him to jump from one barn to another all the way across the country at moments notice.

At least he has a good understanding of the horse's anatomy and biomechanics; more than most other saddle fitters.

Comment

ToN Farm, you may be right. Who know? To me I got a feeling that he is a guy who knows a lot of anatomical terms and be able to use some high words to his advantage. Understanding equine anatomy is very different from sprouting out anatomical terms everywhere. But again I might be completely wrong.... That was my gut feeling that is all.

As to service... If you sell a $4000+ saddle, you had better provide some decent service, whether it means hiring some more help or not.. Or damn don't sell it if you can't keep up with the service.

But hey what am I doing here? I don't know this guy, probably never will, don't even own his saddle. So I will shut up

Comment

Originally posted by ToN Farm View Post
                Keep in mind, he is a one man show. You can't expect him to jump from one barn to another all the way across the country at moments notice.

At least he has a good understanding of the horse's anatomy and biomechanics; more than most other saddle fitters.
                LOL...which explains why he told me my saddle was putting pressure on my horse's cervical vertebrae...and he said it twice, weeks apart, so it wasn't just a slip.

The cervical vertebrae are in the horse's neck....and not near the withers, either.

My feeling is that a lot of people are wowed by the anatomical terms being tossed out there and think that means he's good. Clearly, I wasn't one of them. Being able to toss big words and anatomical terms around vs understanding the actual physical mechanics are two different critters.

And I'd also like to know how, after seeing my horse and declaring him very evenly developed, the same horse went to being very one sided when I complained about the serious discomfort my horse was having in the newly fitted saddle. Long distance psychic powers? He never saw my horse after the one fitting.

I don't think anyone would expect him to jump all the way across the country at a moment's notice (I know I wouldn't)....but he should be able to at least return calls and make some sort of arrangements to respond. And he should also not ignore complaints and stand behind his work with acceptable results....to ignore this is a red flag for me. While I did receive emails from his office, when their solution (ride in the saddle for a few weeks until it settles) didn't work and was making my horse very sore and cranky, they immediately got defensive...it couldn't possibly be a bad fit. I ended up sending the saddle back to them to have the extra flocking on the one side removed...and while that did happen, the underside was now a lumpy mess and the saddle was still not usable. All it really needed in the beginning was for the tree to be widened about 1 cm. I sold it and bought a Schleese, and my horse promptly went from miserable and trying to avoid being tacked up to being his happy self again...and the change was immediate.

To be fair, I have seen his custom saddles and the leather and craftsmanship seem nice enough...but if they aren't backed up by good customer service, and the resale value is substantially lower than other high end saddles (if you can even sell them!) it's hard to justify a purchase.
                Last edited by Unfforgettable; Nov. 24, 2009, 10:27 AM.
                "Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them."
                -Richard S. Bach

Comment

Originally posted by Sharon Potter View Post
                  LOL...which explains why he told me my saddle was putting pressure on my horse's cervical vertebrae...and he said it twice, weeks apart, so it wasn't just a slip.

The cervical vertebrae are in the horse's neck....and not near the withers, either.

My feeling is that a lot of people are wowed by the anatomical terms being tossed out there and think that means he's good. Clearly, I wasn't one of them. Being able to toss big words and anatomical terms around vs understanding the actual physical mechanics are two different critters.

And I'd also like to know how, after seeing my horse and declaring him very evenly developed, the same horse went to being very one sided when I complained about the serious discomfort my horse was having in the newly fitted saddle. Long distance psychic powers? He never saw my horse after the one fitting.

I don't think anyone would expect him to jump all the way across the country at a moment's notice (I know I wouldn't)....but he should be able to at least return calls and make some sort of arrangements to respond. And he should also not ignore complaints and stand behind his work with acceptable results....to ignore this is a red flag for me. While I did receive emails from his office, when their solution (ride in the saddle for a few weeks until it settles) didn't work and was making my horse very sore and cranky, they immediately got defensive...it couldn't possibly be a bad fit. I ended up sending the saddle back to them to have the extra flocking on the one side removed...and while that did happen, the underside was now a lumpy mess and the saddle was still not usable. All it really needed in the beginning was for the tree to be widened about 1 cm. I sold it and bought a Schleese, and my horse promptly went from miserable and trying to avoid being tacked up to being his happy self again...and the change was immediate.

To be fair, I have seen his custom saddles and the leather and craftsmanship seem nice enough...but if they aren't backed up by good customer service, and the resale value is substantially lower than other high end saddles (if you can even sell them!) it's hard to justify a purchase.
                  Exactly- Anyone wants my two cents can read the previous threads or PM me- As I am one very unsatisfied customer still trying to sell my saddle that I rode in for 6 months only- Still thrilled with my Albion!

Comment

As someone who has ridden in an Albion for YEARS... I have to say we call the Equation Saddle I have the "Magic Saddle"- it fits on all but one of my horses in training.

George approached me about riding in the saddle in August and I said, "Thanks but no thanks, my Albion is working" etc. He was pretty persistent and I told him "Ok, I'll try it but not on my top horse." Of course, after all my other horses loved it I put my GP horse in it and the rest is history. He's never gone so well- way more "go" and shoulder freedom... And here we are three months later and everyone is still really happy.

George's customer service has been excellent- one of our clients spend $500 getting her saddle "fixed" and it was making her horse very sore still. George offered to take a look and refit it for free since he knew she couldn't afford to have it refitted again.

Just my two cents.
                    www.lizaustindressage.com
                    http://www.imajica.net/stallion/olivier/profile/ Dutch Warmblood stallion, Olivier.

Comment

Originally posted by StarDoozer View Post
                      As someone who has ridden in an Albion for YEARS... I have to say we call the Equation Saddle I have the "Magic Saddle"- it fits on all but one of my horses in training.

George approached me about riding in the saddle in August and I said, "Thanks but no thanks, my Albion is working" etc. He was pretty persistent and I told him "Ok, I'll try it but not on my top horse." Of course, after all my other horses loved it I put my GP horse in it and the rest is history. He's never gone so well- way more "go" and shoulder freedom... And here we are three months later and everyone is still really happy.

George's customer service has been excellent- one of our clients spend $500 getting her saddle "fixed" and it was making her horse very sore still. George offered to take a look and refit it for free since he knew she couldn't afford to have it refitted again.

Just my two cents.
                      So you received a free "promotional" saddle??

Ha.

People should steer clear of this guy, he appears unable or unwilling to follow through. Any man or woman is ONLY as good as their word! Enough said.

Comment

this is my take (I am a very unsatisfied customer).

1. if you are a big name rider he will give you good service.
                        2. If you have no complaints he will give you good service.
                        3. If you are a no name rider prepare to be ignored.
                        4. If you have any complaints prepare to be ignored.

is he a genius?--maybe. but the guy's got some problems. You'd better stay on his good side or you can kiss that money goodbye.

Comment

Equation Saddlery

I recently purchased a new, custom saddle from George and Equation. While we haven't worked out all the adjustments yet (I only received it two weeks ago), I am profoundly impressed by the improvement this saddle has made in how my horse feels under me, and how I can ride him. Nothing great is ever easy, or comes quickly, and while I cannot say I know George well or personally, I do believe he works in the best interest of, at least in my case, me and my horse. I know from the threads that there are many nay-sayers, and everyone has a right to post whatever they want, I suppose. I, however, am very happy with the decision I made to purchase a custom Equation saddle for an extremely hard to fit horse, who deserves the best I can afford.

UPDATE: Since I posted, I have noticed that my horse is much more free in the shoulder. I am an average rider on a GP horse, but I think I can say (and hope it's correct) that his back feels up, his shoulder is definitely elevated, and he is carrying more weight behind. I have noticed also that his topline is developing and his prominent withers are becoming less so. He is also gaining muscle and his previously slightly atrophied right hind is becoming more round. As importantly, he is more willing to GO! YAY!
                          Last edited by bathsheba8542; Dec. 15, 2009, 10:25 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

Just an update since I was on the rather long George thread last time. My horse is a hard to fit shark-fin withered type.

George adjusted a Spalding saddle I have to fit my gelding. The saddle wasn't the best match, but he got it to work.

I later bought an Equation, which again, George got that saddle to fit. But it was never right for me, so...

Now I have a Custom Everest and he looked at it yesterday for me. This saddle was a pretty good match straight out of the box (thanks Fred Taht at Custom), but he tweeked it and now it's good enough that I don't need the shims.

At this point I have to say I'm a satisfied customer.

Comment

Originally posted by bathsheba8542 View Post
                              I recently purchased a new, custom saddle from George and Equation. While we haven't worked out all the adjustments yet (I only received it two weeks ago), I am profoundly impressed by the improvement this saddle has made in how my horse feels under me, and how I can ride him. Nothing great is ever easy, or comes quickly, and while I cannot say I know George well or personally, I do believe he works in the best interest of, at least in my case, me and my horse. I know from the threads that there are many nay-sayers, and everyone has a right to post whatever they want, I suppose. I, however, am very happy with the decision I made to purchase a custom Equation saddle for an extremely hard to fit horse, who deserves the best I can afford.

UPDATE: Since I posted, I have noticed that my horse is much more free in the shoulder. I am an average rider on a GP horse, but I think I can say (and hope it's correct) that his back feels up, his shoulder is definitely elevated, and he is carrying more weight behind. I have noticed also that his topline is developing and his prominent withers are becoming less so. He is also gaining muscle and his previously slightly atrophied right hind is becoming more round. As importantly, he is more willing to GO! YAY!
                              I am glad it is working for you...I think you will find from all the posts, that if it is "working", everyone is happy. If it is not working, George will walk away from you, and your investment. That has been the basic complaint here.

Boomer- glad it has worked for you as well- Might be due to the activity and noise level on the board regarding service and reliability.

Comment

I am another upset customer with two saddles and one of which I cannot use. One of the saddles never fit me or my horse or me. I wanted to return it and he kept telling me to ride in, it so I did but still a terrible fit. Every time I complained the answer was "it's how you sit in the saddle it's not the actual saddle". Since I have moved away from my previous trainer he would not come out to work on my saddles. I didn't actually get what I originally ordered. I asked for a deep seat and got a flat seat, I asked for 16 1/2 inch seat and got 17" but was told it's 16 1/2. I measured it and another saddle fitter measured it, we both got 17" yet George keeps saying it's a 16 1/2. The saddle bridges and makes my horse uncomfortable almost sore yet he says I have no clue what I am talking about. He tried to sell me another saddle that he just "created" and after I rode in it for two weeks, there were issues. When I told him about it he said I should buy it because he is giving me a deal. I said no and now he won't return my calls or want to deal with me. To top it all, while at my barn he bashed my new trainer, her riders, and a family friend who is a World Cup Gold medalist. The people he was bashing didn't like his saddles and had disagreements with him about the fit and comfort of the saddle. Since they didn't agree with him, he is now bashing them. Very unethical and the saddles are not worth the money. I am still trying to get rid of one of his saddles and have not been able to sell it. I am now out of $3000 for the saddle but it makes a great ornament for Christmas.

My advice, stay away from his saddles and read BBB, he has a lot of reports on him and none of them are settled.

Comment

Had I known.................

I have a brand new W17.5 Equation Saddlery Dressage saddle with front air panels - literally 2 rides. I cannot write down my entire journey with this saddlemaker and my mare but let's suffice to say this is the second saddle in almost a year (it takes that long during "waiting" periods when George cannot get to you).............and during those periods when you can't get service or a phone call your horse gets sore, out of alignment and you spend hundreds of dollars on pads trying to make up for it..................not to mention chiro/massage/vet bills........fast forward to present. I have ridden other horses in this saddle and it was not bad at all. It just doesn't work for us. Trying desperately to come sort of settlement with George but "guess what!" He won't return my emails or phone calls. I have $3895 invested in this (NEW) saddle and cannot get a different one until this is resolved - and my mare's top-line is rebuilt Willing to negotiate some on price.............if anyone's interested. Oh, and does anyone have THE SECRET to getting him to reply??????????????????????

Comment

I do not know the secret of finding him. I gave up, and bought a Custom brand custom saddle from Cary at Custom saddlery.

Anyone want my Equation saddle?

Comment

Originally posted by FaithInMyGirl View Post
                                      I have a brand new W17.5 Equation Saddlery Dressage saddle with front air panels - literally 2 rides. I cannot write down my entire journey with this saddlemaker and my mare but let's suffice to say this is the second saddle in almost a year (it takes that long during "waiting" periods when George cannot get to you).............and during those periods when you can't get service or a phone call your horse gets sore, out of alignment and you spend hundreds of dollars on pads trying to make up for it..................not to mention chiro/massage/vet bills........fast forward to present. I have ridden other horses in this saddle and it was not bad at all. It just doesn't work for us. Trying desperately to come sort of settlement with George but "guess what!" He won't return my emails or phone calls. I have $3895 invested in this (NEW) saddle and cannot get a different one until this is resolved - and my mare's top-line is rebuilt Willing to negotiate some on price.............if anyone's interested. Oh, and does anyone have THE SECRET to getting him to reply??????????????????????
                                      Welcome to my world- but according to the one time posters, we are all crazy. 3 years later still trying to sell mine! From my experience he will just ignore you and patty will too at his direction. You will eventually give up and eat the cost- The saddle will collect dust in your barn, or sit at your local saddle fitters in a desperate attempt to try to recoup even 1/3 of your cost. Sorry for your troubles- perhaps people should pay more attention to the CB and members previous experience.
                                      Last edited by ec412; Feb. 10, 2010, 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by mickeydoodle View Post
                                        I do not know the secret of finding him. I gave up, and bought a Custom brand custom saddle from Cary at Custom saddlery.

Anyone want my Equation saddle?
                                        ps- thought he still lived in Waukesha Wi, but rumour has it he moves- have to ask yourself why?
                                        Not sure where he lives now, but do know that noone here uses him anymore, but apparently his son still tries to do business in my area.

Comment

Working...
                                        X