• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Another young horse training question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another young horse training question

I live in the middle of nowhere, but there are a few of us that ride. For the last 10 years it's been mainly eventing, and that's been my background with a strong emphasis on dressage. I then switched entirely to dressage but am now bringing along a four year old and would like to do some cross training to keep us both fresh and happy.

The problem is there is one coach - and she just came along recently - who is a hunter coach. Today she informed me that I have been focussing too much on forward for my four year old and that she has far too much energy. She knows I want to take her as high as I can in dressage (if I ever get out of BFE I know she could do Grand Prix) Her thought is that I should just "hunter" train her for the winter to get her... - I don't even know what she said I kind of lost interest at that point. The coach said the mare's mind wasn't ready for the kind of work I'm giving her. This is a VERY level-headed mare. I feel blessed to have her.

What are your thoughts about bringing along a young horse? I just had a dressage coach up for a clinic two weeks ago and we were moving right along. I've been winning at training level (not a heck of a lot of competition, but some) with remarks like bring her up in front and more forward. I think I'm doing okay with her. But now I find I'm second guessing. My gut tells me to just not jump her until I can relocate. I do have plans to go where there are more coaches, it's just this recession that's throwing a monkey wrench in my plans.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Forward is good!

Each horse is different, obviously, and some that are very easy can be tempting to do too much with, as in push them too hard. But you know the horse, and you have some dressage test comments to go with for the horse you had that day. I'd just take it with a grain of salt. A four year old can do lots of things as long as you still keep them relaxed, happy and enjoying their work.

That said, I don't think I'd do too much 'up in front' without frequent stretching, and alternating the type of work you do, like one day "up" from lateral movements and/or lengthening/shortening within the gaits and the next more forward or hacking/jumping.

Edited to include the training scale! A forward RYTHM and Relaxation, not running or pulling the horse into your hands. . . .

Have fun!! If you find that trainer clashes with what you feel with certainty is correct for the horse you want to have, just try to let it go when she says stuff. Like, "Oh, I see what you mean. Maybe I'll try it sometime."

JMO.

Comment

It's really impossible to say without seeing it.

Sometimes people run a horse off its feet, and it gets off balance and starts falling on its face.

If you try to do it with a very long rein and your horse's head in the dirt, all he's going to do is fall on his face.

Other times, going forward makes the back swing and the hind legs really get strong and carry the horse really well.

If you have the right rein length (not too long, not too short) and you supple your horse enough as well as have it go forward into a contact, you're going to do great.

But...how do you take a hunter trainer's opinion over that of a dressage clinician(supposedly this was a decent clinician who's trained horses up the levels or you wouldn't have gone to see him/her) when upper level dressage is what you're aimed for?

Just curious....where's the logic?

A hunter is supposed to flow along with a low head and neck, relaxed, fluid with a pleasure contact that is particular to hunters...a dressage horse is supposed to be mowing down all small creatures in his path, with blood in his eye and glee in his heart, and taking you with him.

The progress up the levels demands a very, very different sort of training than what your hunter trainer is going to have done. It just isn't the same. At all.

When you work with some one really good who knows how to go up the levels, they have you and your young horse going like your butt is on fire and you're trying desperately to leave it behind. And they're right, and they know what they're doing.

Comment

Every young horse is different and yet there are many things that are pretty much alike. That said, the best barometer of your methods and level of work for this young horse is her attitude and how relaxed and happy she is during the work and when you are done. Young horses are usually not particularly forward at the start, so it is a good thing to encourage the forward so they can find a rhythm and become consistent. Listening to your horse is a good way to decide if she is ready for the work you are doing. It's also a good idea to not work too long or every day -- spend some time relaxing and hacking or trail riding as well --it will promote the relaxation you also want to keep. Good luck!
        PennyG

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the discussion - I do feel better about my decision to not ride with this particular coach and continue with my mowing down of small creatures. This young mare is not falling on her face and she seems quite happy. And to be honest the thought of doing strictly hunter riding all winter makes me feel very uninspired.

Comment

since your situation is forcing you to dothe home study thing. What I did when I was in that situation...bought all the videos I could find and bought a cheap TV player that I kept in the tack room I watched videos as I cleaned tack. I bought books. Is there someone that can come and video YOU a couple times a month?

Comment

As others have said, it's hard to evaluate w/o seeing the horse. My words of wisdom to you . . . never take forward away, this is a part of her personality you want to culivate.
              "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Comment

Forward is good. Impulsion is better. Hunters don't know dittly-squat about true dressage (unless they are weird and do know something about dressage) and it sounds like hunter-coach is merely trying to get another client. Hunter does not improve a horses dressage; asking a horse for a quiet trot on a loopy rein is nice and all, but definitely does not do any good to training a horse to eventually have a powerful, uphill trot in a correct frame. In fact, I am sure it would confuse the horse more - going from not being asked much to being asked to be a dressage horse it fries their brains.

My advice to you is to keep your forward going movements, putting as much emphasis on suppleness, rhythm, balance and impulsion until your horse is an 'old hat' at it. Basically keep consistent, because consistency is good

Comment

I'm not going to do the rah rah rah thing for homeschool. I think people need instructors, and they need an eye on the ground. And I think it's good to make an extra effort to get that as often as possible. I think it should be someone good that's relevant to your goals.

Comment

Working...
                  X