• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Twisting an ear???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisting an ear???

ok so I've heard of most things being done (any time you show for a while or work in the industry you tend to see or hear of the most bizarre stuff), THIS however is new to me....this is from Robert Dovers blog:

"Once, I had gone for a lesson with one of the great classical trainers of our time and watched with my mouth open as, angry with something his horse had done, he took a hold of his ear from the saddle and twisted it until the animal fell to its knees. Classical?"

then one of the replies said

"I have trained with Dr. Klimke and H.Rehbein and know that sometimes you have to twist an ear."

So while I know of folks who will twist an ear on the ground is lieu of using a twitch (which I don't like) I have NEVER heard or seen anyone do it in the saddle and am bewildered as to WHY?
    Last edited by JackSprats Mom; Aug. 7, 2009, 08:51 PM.
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Frustration and anger. It really only serves to make a horse ear and head shy. It doesn't teach them much, as they can not draw a logical correlation between the previous behavior, and having an ear wrenched about. I mean, if we can't make the correlation how can a horse? It only serves to make the rider feel better.

Now if the horse were about to kill me, there is no part that might go untwisted.

Comment

You know, usually I like reading Robert's comments.

Not this time. Something about that comment just really bothered me.

I recognize that ALL - ALL - of the 'great masters' and all the great people we admire and consider to be perfect, have flaws and make mistakes. That doesn't much bother me. I don't expect them to be perfect.

Willi Schultheis, according to Balkenhol, had him take a horse to a show, and the results were disastrous - Schultheis was wrong about the horse (or rider, or both) being ready for the show. Willi Schultheis still did a lot of good stuff. NONE of these people are perfect.

Do people who worked with the same trainers Robert Dover worked with, say they twisted a horse's ear and put the horse to its knees? Most bios of Robert don't mention any German trainers he worked with, they just list his medals or discuss his being gay and involved in athletics...one mentioned that til Athens, he was the lowest scoring team rider in every Olympics he was in.

'Angry at something his horse did' is a little general. I'd like Robert to say who it was and what the circumstances were.

But...everyone loses their temper from time to time. If someone has a fit once, they are being human, they screwed up. If it's a habit and that's how they react to the tiniest frustration, I ain't sympathetic. If Robert stayed with a trainer who chronically lost his temper and put horses on the ground by twisting their ears for months, over and over, shame on Robert.

Comment

The only times I have seen "ear twisting" done was with a horse that would not hold it's head still for bridling and another time for a horse that would not stand still (and the people couldn't find a twitch). In both cases, yes the horse became very head shy. Duh. Have never seen it done to a horse being ridden.

Caitlin
        Caitlin
        *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
        http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Comment

When I was in rural Brazil I remember seeing a horse in a pasture with a malformed ear. I thought nothing of it, figuring it was a birth defect, until I saw a second, a third, a fourth...always the left ear. It is a very powerful way to control a horse, but I can't imagine needing to use it unless the horse is in an emergency situation where it is utterly terrified and trying desperately to fight or flee. And if that situation is your bad training and handling methods, how about modifying how you work with horses so they don't need that kind of restraint!!!

It boggles my mind to see people use such harsh techniques, when gentle ones work so well. Really pathetic.

Comment

• Original Poster

What are they intending to do though?

I mean I have seen poeple beat horses with whips (again NOT condoning) in order to get them to move...but what are they intending to convey by grabbing an ear? It seems to serve absolutely no purpose?
            I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by JackSprats Mom View Post
              What are they intending to do though?

I mean I have seen poeple beat horses with whips (again NOT condoning) in order to get them to move...but what are they intending to convey by grabbing an ear? It seems to serve absolutely no purpose?
              Induce so much focus on the pain in the ear that the horse can't think straight and submits to whatever you are trying to force it to do?

Comment

Submission of the horse through force, abuse, pain, fear and aggression.

Utterly useless, all of it. The horse learns to do whatever by rote, with no spirit, no personality, no zest.

Continue to do it and you lose all hope of attaining any sort of expression from the horse.

Humans, boycott the bad, forceful, vicious trainers. The bad training methods continue to exist because people PAY to have themselves and their horses trained by such individuals. The almighty dollar induces many to use whatever means possible to get the horses winning in the show ring at all costs. Regardless of the damage to the horse's spirit, mind and body.
                Practice! Patience! Persistence!
                http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/
                https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses/

Comment

Absolutely right, Rodawn.

If you have a horse in training, you make damned sure you turn up at unexpected times to see what's going on when you aren't there. Have the courage of your convictions if you see a trainer is doing something that makes you uncomfortable to your horse, or to any other horse for that matter, and pack your stuff and get out of there. Don't continue to line the pockets of abusive trainers.

And they are out there--whether they get like that because they've reached the finite point of their real training ability and don't know how to progress and get frustrated, or whether they think what they do makes them winners in the show-ring (doesn't usually, in my experience) or whether they are just psycopathic b******ds who should be undergoing treatment in a secure facility, not being paid to get their jollies out of hurting animals.

Just say no. Stop making excuses and vote with your pocket book. There are capable, decent people out there training who actually like horses.

Comment

I don't think it's a "Classical" method.

It's an "Assical" method.

Poor horses.

Comment

'Assical Method'

Beasmon is i-ree.

Comment

If I could get my hands on the moron who did this to my horse!! My horse has issues every day of his life because somebody, somewhere did this to him. When he pricks his ears forward, one is off, like it's broken, no doubt a result of some moron twisting it! I can't tell you the trouble this has caused him/me! Arghh!!
                        Last edited by Cindyg; Apr. 25, 2012, 11:56 PM.
                        I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Comment

'Earin' 'em down' is a very common and very old practice.

Please note when I say 'it's a common practice', I mean it's a common practice, I do not mean, 'it's great! Let's do it all the time while riding!' I mean it is a common practice, and that's ALL I mean.

There are a number of other ways a horse can wind up with an ear that's out of line, one is a nerve disorder (there was a horse at a barn I went to a month ago that had this disorder, so it's not rare). Horses also can get frostbite on their ears and so damage their ears, and one horse I saw had had his ear mangled when a bunch of dogs chased him and his dam and got him down on the ground.

Too, at the race track, I hear it's not so unusual for people to use an ear twitch and I'm sure it's used other places...once an old cowboy type told me he would fold a horse's ear and bite it to hold a horse still, say for first saddling or for vet treatment on a wound.

I can see doing whatever it takes, if it it's a matter of life and death, such as keeping a horse still while trying to cut him out of some wire. There are a number of 'not so pretty' restraint methods for horses, such as various techniques with ropes and straps, the 'shoulder roll', the 'ear twitch' for when one doesn't have the luxury of medication and time.

All methods of restraining a struggling, excited horse are dangerous, and all can result in unpredictable behavior. Hope that you never need it. You certainly don't need it to ride around a dressage arena, in fact, the idea is absurd, much like the medieval practice of tieing a cat to a pole and whacking it on the head til it's spitting and clawing mad, then thrusting it at the belly of a horse that is being nappy.

Comment

Written by SLC "Too, at the race track, I hear it's not so unusual for people to use an ear twitch and I'm sure it's used other places...once an old cowboy type told me he would fold a horse's ear and bite it to hold a horse still, say for first saddling or for vet treatment on a wound."

SLC I usually give you the benefit of the doubt in your posts but race track people are not idiots. They are usually experienced horseman working with expensive athletes. They know that "twisting an ear" is not the way to go. Try putting a bridle on an 18h horse who wants to be tall because someone has made him headshy. In my years at the track I only saw this done once or twice usually by a gyp or green handler. A lip twitch or lead chain under the lip works much better in emergencies. It is unusual. Whoever told you that needs to go to a better quality barn. End of vent. Back to the discussion.
                            Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!

Comment

I don't know about ear twitching at racetracks now, but when I bought my 3 yrs of racing (plus one year of training as she was a late foal) and years of being a broodmare horse, Callie was extremely upset if her left ear was touched by anything but a bridle. I could not touch her left ear or put a halter on over it, but could easily put a bridle on over it. Took over a year to get her to trust me not to twitch that ear. OTTB mares are very smart and never forget an insult.
                              Maybe the person the OP is talking about worked at a racetrack at one time, or at a broodmare farm.

Comment

"people at the race track are smart"

Of course they are. They also have to handle excited, half trained horses and somehow convince them quickly to get into the gate without getting themselves trampled. And they use ear twitches. I've seen 'em do it, more than once. At the starting gate, mostly. Not all. No. Nothing is 'all'. You can argue how common it is at the race track, and what percentage of the time it's used, all you want Rusty Stirrup, but that exercise will be done without me. The next post describes an ear shy horse, the left ear. An off the track horse. And I've seen that more than once, even my own little OTT horse was like that, you could mess with the bridle all you want, but stay away from that ear; a lot of them, you can't even put the crown over their ears, you have to unbuckle it. So it happens. How often it happens, what percentage of the time, whether there are 'good and bad' at the track, whether 'good people don't twitch the ear', carry on without me.
                                Last edited by slc2; Aug. 8, 2009, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Hmmmmm.....

... I don't quite understand why Robert would write something that inflammatory in his blog.... What's the purpose?

A long time ago I was at a clinic with a BNT from Germany and dear Robert had a session with said BNT. When he was asked to start with some basics he immediately told the trainer that he only wanted to learn the tricks, not the basics. At that point the BNT told him in no uncertain terms that there would be no sense in continuing with the lesson!!

I wonder why Robert didn't put that in his blog???
                                  Siegi Belz
                                  www.stalleuropa.com
                                  2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
                                  Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Comment

"I have trained with Dr. Klimke and H.Rehbein and know that sometimes you have to twist an ear."
                                    I've read some rubbish on horse forums over the years but that one takes the biscuit.

Is this thread taking us off on a trip to la-la land?

or are you just trying to yank my chain?

Comment

The quote was from Robert Dover's blog.

His comment, that he has worked with Reiner Klimke and Rehbein, and knows 'I know that sometimes you have to twist an ear', is pretty disturbing.

First of all, I have a hard time picturing Reiner Klimke or Rehbein, making a practice of twisting horse's ears, in the dressage ring. I've never heard anyone else say, 'I was at Rehbein's, and he eared a horse down', for example.

Rehbein and Klimke BOTH were horsemen, extraordinary riders. I am SURE, no matter how good they were, they got irritated now and again or even lost their tempers. THey were human beings after all. And I'm sure people didn't always send them perfectly sweet little adorable perfectly trained horses.

People send problems to trainers, problems they are afraid to deal with. Trainers get put in bad positions. And yes, I can see, sometimes, having to do things that are not so sweet, to keep the horse from becoming dog food. Even very good trainers get very, very hard horses - Michael Barisone's wife told us at a clinic, that Mike was given an elite prospect that no one could get on! He had to press his knee onto the horse's side, then vault on and the horse got him off many times.

Even so, I feel most of the time, both of them would have no REASON to do anything like earing a horse, because they would have a safer-for-the-handler, more efficient and effective thing to do, even if they had no problem with doing it in extremis, I have a real hard time imagining Klimke earing a horse to the ground for not performing a correct pirouette.

Why? Because it doesn't make any sense. The rider would have to take himself out of position, reach forward and grab that ear. If he was having trouble with his horse, the LAST thing he'd want to do is lean forward, take his butt out of the saddle, and do something like that with his arm. If he had someone ELSE come up and yank the horse's ear, he would be doing something the horse would know wasn't going to happen in the show ring...in other words, ineffective and pointless.

I think you DO sometimes have to 'twist an ear', figuratively, perhaps, in the sense that horses weigh 1200 lbs, and people way a tenth or so of that.

And sometimes they try to run over you, or rip you out of the saddle and bolt, or buck like a son of a gun, or stand on their hind legs or try to scrape you off on a tree, or get very snotty when you want them to do something, usually because they're frisky as hell, cheeky or have no idea what you want, have been spoiled to death by some timid, ignorant rider, or are so confused and screwed up from their previous training that their reaction to any demand is to fight back, or somewhere, something is hurting them or they have some memory of hurt and refuse to try to do something they think might hurt again....and frankly, a healthy, young, active horse who isn't sore, hurting and miserable, BETTER be naughty some days, or you should go get a thermometer and call the vet.

But I STILL have a real hard time picturing what might happen in a dressage arena, that couldn't be handled another way other than literally twisting the horse's ear. And I have a hard time picturing a very skilled rider even needing to.

Years ago, my little pony was acting like an ass at a warmup. He was a very, very naughty pony.

The riding teacher came over, and put her jacket around his muzzle, and took ahold of both reins, I could not see what she did, but it sent a shudder through first one side of the horse and then the other, and sent me into the ring.

And that pony was perfectly behaved for the entire class.

My point is this. If an ordinary riding teacher can do such a thing to keep a kid safe on a pony for a few minutes, just about any skilled rider could do something like that, something that no one else would even see, that would make the horse behave himself and be obedient. He would never have to do ANYTHING as obvious as ear a horse down. He could very neatly fly under the radar.

Years ago I watched a well known trainer get on a big old lazy mush of a warmblood stallion who tended to be a sort of hard sided, very unimpressed sort of horse. He had spent the last 30 minutes dragging his unlucky rider around while she tried in vain to get him to - well - do some dressage.

She got on the horse, and just sat their, adjusting her reins and stirrups.

While she was doing that, every single vein on the horse's neck popped out, and he within that minute or two, started to get hives on his neck. They just popped up.

The horse went around the ring, light as a feather on the reins, perfectly quietly mouthing the bit like the best schooled horse in the world, responding from the merest breeze from her boot. She never had to even touch the horse with the whip. No bending and bending to try and lighten him...and this was a rather small lady.

She hopped off with a smile and I was standing there with my jaw on the floor.

'What did you DO', I said.

'I put my leg on him', she grinned.

Ear a horse down? Why bother when you can do that? I daresay a Klimke or a Rehbein wouldn't have much need to. But I also seriously doubt they apply such cathected emotion to a horse. I can't see them saying, 'oh dear, we can't possibly scold poopsie for taking a chunk out of the groom', or mimicking the recent post from the gal whos stable manager said the horse drug her and scared her to death when she was turning him out, the owner's reaction was 'well you don't lead him properly, and maybe poopsie was hungry, you need to give him more food'. If a horse was doing something dangerous or being totally nasty, I'm very sure they would have had no problem disciplining the horse how they saw fit.

Comment

an ear twitch, which is what the procedure is properly called, is a very useful technique to subdue an animal for emergency examination or treatment or to just plain make it safe for the humans involved. A common and humane technique in the right hands.

Just like a dressage "whip" is a very useful tool to emphasize a leg or seat aid, when used correctly. Neither tool is inhumane in and of itself. Get over yourselves already.

What I (and others) properly object to is the use of any of our training tools as weapons of abuse. I can't see the need to ever raise a welt with a whip or even to raise it high enough to cause actual pain. A touch, brush or tap is generally sufficient. Like the mosquitos, the stimulus for a horse does not have to be huge to get a reaction. And there is little a human can do to a horse in terms of correction that other horses cannot do bigger, with more force and damage.

But because we have all been there (and if you haven't, then you are either not being honest, are forgetful or simply haven't been training enough horses yet...or perhaps are being nominated for sainthood) to the place where we lose our temper.

No human, not even the ODG's are exempt from this human failing. Stones and glass houses and all that.

Dover and others mention particular instances of misuse, momentary lapses of reason and skill. if he has none, then more power to him.
                                        "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

Working...
                                        X