• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

DVCTA - DaD Parting Ways?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVCTA - DaD Parting Ways?

So, is it happening.....rumors abound.

I sit on the board of both organizations. Basically, each was an insurance liability to the other. Dressage at Devon is now it's own entity and has applied for non-profit status which should be finallized within a year. The separation was welcomed by both organizations.
    I support and enable the USA bred horse and the USA breeder.

Comment

• Original Poster

"Basically, each was an insurance liability to the other."....hmmmm. Hasn't been a problem for 32 years what happenned?

DAD is a show that grosses over half a million dollars. Did the members of DVCTA get to vote on the split? Will DVCTA get royalties from the show?

Comment

this isn't really a surprise, from a business perspective. there are GMOs that runs horse trials as separate entities from the mother organization for the same reasons. but it doesn't mean the people running it will be any different. its just how its being run under its own name so the liability of the show doesn't take the rest of the GMO down with it. god forbid Sydney took a blow from the black knight and sued

Comment

how perceptive of you rosinante - things are never what they seem in real life or the horse world. The thing I found curious is that there has been no mention, even by way of a formal good-bye statement, in any DVCTA publication, newsletter, or website. When things "appear" to be done behind the door of the membership at large one must wonder why. If it's so amicable a split why all the silence????
          while I have no trouble believing in talking lions, emerald cities, and winged monkeys, I refuse to accept there is no paperwork involved when one's house lands on a witch."

Comment

They call it "circling the wagons"

I certainly understand LoriK's wish to sanitize this- but I am quite removed from caring...so...here is what I have heard...

My understanding is that there was allegedly at least one- possibly two- lawsuits that were aimed at DAD due to the fact that the DAD folks had entered into contracts with, in one case, a company that would bring in sponsors for the show. Apparently, DVCTA was not aware of the existence of this contract until such time as it had gone way south, and the company was threatening legal action.

In addition, it is alledged that DAD promised substantial funds to USDF for the new headquarters in Lexington, without obtaining permission from DVCTA.

My personal opinion is that things can only get better with the changes at the top. I think that it is apparent that any time you let people run rampant with control over something like this- which they consider to be a BIG deal, you wind up with huge issues. And they did.
            When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
            www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
            http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

This split was just finallized in early September. I'm sure the members will read about this in the next newsletter.

The DVCTA Board of Directors voted on the split. It was a hot topic in the monthly meetings for several months with the 'separation agreement' changing several times. These meetings are open to the entire membership. If any member wants to keep abreast about anything that DVCTA is doing, I suggest that you go to the meetings. There is not now, and never has been an intent to do anything 'behind the members backs'.

There are financials from the show that will continue for DVCTA.

Yes, the liability issue has been there since the show began, but after taking a long, hard look at the what if's, it was decided that one law suit against DAD could keep DVCTA from having other shows, clinics and horse trials, and one lawsuit against DVCTA could keep DAD from opening it's gates. DAD had been the tail wagging the dog for many years.

BTW, I was not trying to 'sanitize' anything. I tend to be succinct when I post. Anyone who wants the long version, should stop listening to rumors and get to a meeting to hear first hand what's going on.

Comment

My understanding is that with a lawsuit pending, DAD would be unable to have insurance that would allow the show to open- which is essentially what you were saying, Lori.

If anything that I have stated as being "alleged" is untrue- for those who are not in the area, or do not wish to join DVCTA- please feel free to correct the "rumors".

In the absence of such correction, my statements regarding the donation to USDF, and the lawsuits stand.

Comment

My understanding is that with a lawsuit pending, DAD would be unable to have insurance that would allow the show to open- which is essentially what you were saying, Lori.

If anything that I have stated as being "alleged" is untrue- for those who are not in the area, or do not wish to join DVCTA- please feel free to correct the "rumors".

In the absence of such correction, my statements regarding the donation to USDF, and the lawsuits stand.

Comment

In the absence of such correction, my statements regarding the donation to USDF, and the lawsuits, stand.

Comment

ASB Stars,

The first lawsuit you mentioned happened prior to my DVCTA mebership (let alone election to the board), so I can not comment on the knowledge, or lack thereof by the DVCTA board when the contract was signed. It went on for years and was settled by the (then) president of DVCTA without the DAD committee agreement.

The other lawsuit was related to an accident/injury that happened at DAD. It had nothing to do with contracts. The judge dismissed it. This, however really opened the eyes of everyone concerned as to the insurance liability issue and was a catalyst for the separation.

The gift to USDF fit into the agreement that DAD can give a certain amount of money to 'other charities". It also fit into the DAD and DVCTA mission of education. That, too was done before I was elected to the board so I do not know when the DVCTA board was notified.

Comment

best of luck towards the future, everyone.

And a big thanks to you, Lori, you always keep everything pulled together so nicely. BTW, we loved the IBC#65 this year, everyone there had a great time. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Comment

as someone who was on the BoD of a GMO (not DVCTA) for 5 years, i can tell you that the board of a GMO doesn't do anything without voting and considering the ramifications on the entire club and its members. when you run a special event of this magnitude it SHOULD be run as a seperate corporation to isolate it from the other activities. as was said you don't want a rider falling at a fence at a horse trial suing the DVCTA for negligence which then shuts down DAD. it may have been a heated debate and change is difficult, but it was the correct thing to do from a business perspective.

getting people to run on the board is difficult, nobody wants to devote that kind of time and responsibility and if they think they are singing up for a couple horse trials and a dressage show then end up being responsible for DAD by association it's even more daunting. its real easy though to sit back as a member and be critical of executive decisions. attend some meetings, even the annual banquet, understand why decisions are being made.

half the fun for me being on the BoD was seeing how these corporations run the events that we all take for granted. and you also get a lot of information about things that aren't apparent from reading GMO newsletters.

there are very few GMOs running activities of this magnitude anymore. its just good business practice.

Comment

Originally posted by lorik View Post
                            ASB Stars,

The first lawsuit you mentioned happened prior to my DVCTA mebership (let alone election to the board), so I can not comment on the knowledge, or lack thereof by the DVCTA board when the contract was signed. It went on for years and was settled by the (then) president of DVCTA without the DAD committee agreement.

The other lawsuit was related to an accident/injury that happened at DAD. It had nothing to do with contracts. The judge dismissed it. This, however really opened the eyes of everyone concerned as to the insurance liability issue and was a catalyst for the separation.

The gift to USDF fit into the agreement that DAD can give a certain amount of money to 'other charities". It also fit into the DAD and DVCTA mission of education. That, too was done before I was elected to the board so I do not know when the DVCTA board was notified.
                            Lori, without saying more than I think that your answers are quite coy, considering the fact that you have been a part of DAD itself for many years, and the fact that every member of that tight-knit "disfunctional family" was more than aware of the details throughout, I don't question the absolute, and careful, veracity of your statement.

The fact that the DAD committee didn't settle the first lawsuit, for me at least, is more about the parent taking care of what the children had gotten into.

And the fact that you doo't know "when the DVCTA board was notified" is more indicative of the issues of which I speak. Shouldn't DVCTA have VOTED as to what funds where offered where- especially in light of the fact that DAD was simply a standing committee of DVCTA at the time? Rather than one individual, as an example, deciding for the group that they should donate, say 50K, without the approval of the GMO? Just asking...LOL...

Comment

ASB,
                              Although I have been the breed show secretary at Dressage at Devon for quite a few years now, I was only added to the executive committee (now board) three years ago. The law suit in question happened long before that. Three years before being added to the ex. com. I started going to the general committee meetings just before the show to let them know how entries were coming. Then I started going to all of them the year after that. You seem to think I have a whole lot more knowledge than I actually have. I am really not being coy. I simply will not pass on information of which I do not have first hand knowledge. To do that is just to feed (or start) rumors.

The pledge to USDF was voted on in the executive committee meeting of DAD and also in the general committee meeting and is paid over a 5 year period of time.

As a 501c3, the books are open and are audited anually. Anyone can gain access to them. I really don't see the point in belaboring all of this.

Comment

No, I don't either...but I do think more of the facts are available now to those who have asked than were before.

Thanks!

Comment

and the blind shall see

Originally posted by lorik View Post
                                  ASB Stars,

Well, this back and forth banter is certainly intriuging. So much so that the "detective" in me did a little sleuthing LOL. Turns out the horse community is a small one. My trails led me to seek out a few prior DVCTA board members to ask a few pertinent Q's. Wow - what you find out if you ask the right peeps.

First let's discuss the "gift" to USDF by DAD; I was told that the DVCTA Board learned about the money to be gifted after the fact - it had already been pledged when the then president learned about it. Understanding the liability posed to DVCTA (after all, if DAD would default, however unlikely) DVCTA would be on the hook to honor the gift. Wow - my thought was how would I like my relative to go out, secure a loan/liability in my name, and not tell me??? Whew! So the board voted that Dec. to "table" the pledge pending further information and financial info. until the new year. I was told that no one questioned the purpose of the gift, just the amount. Funnily enough, that was when all of the election fiasco (their words not mine) took place; the then president and vp were challenged in the election and resignations took place all around. If you look on the DVCTA's website you'll notice that there are several board members from the DAD comm. that gained seats on the board that year. USDF got their pledge. Hmmmm.....coincidence or just helpful volunteers caring about their association???? You decide.

Also couldn't resist asking about lawsuits real or imagined. Yes, Lori is correct there was only one that was long standing - I believe they said five years or so w/DAD being unable to settle it. The then president (the "ousted" one, poor girl) settled it in a week with what I was told were careful negotiations and guidance from a very qualified law firm. So happy news for the gmo you'd think. Well, the DVCTA board was happy about it of course. But I was told that there were several DAD comm. members that attended a meeting to question the legality of the DVCTA president to settle the lawsuit without THEIR permission!!!! At this point the conversation got very funny because it was described to me that they came in with everything but "flaming torches". Heavens, don't you just love clubs??? Well, again I was told that the DVCTA leadership was certainly well within their rights to settle this to the benefit of the club - actually, I'd think it was their responsibility! So, I guess there was some disgruntled folks.

I guess what all of this says to me, providing it is true, is that a "divorce", separation, or whatever you wanna call it, between the gmo and the show was a necessary thing or finding anyone to take the DVCTA leadership would become, I would think, increasingly difficult. I mean who wants to be responsible and put up with that kind of stuff? Yikes! Very sad indeed.

Last but not least I have to address the notification to the gmo's membership about a decision of this magnitude. Lori, notifying the membership in the newsletter after the fact is like shutting the barn door after the horse is galloping down the driveway. I also take issue with your assertion that the meetings are open to all members. Well, if no agenda is published to notify the membership at large that something BIG is being discussed that seems to be a bit back door does it not? Minutes do not appear in any of the newsletters I've ever seen so how is the membership to be kept informed of any of this? Is it not unreasonable to expect the membership to attend all meetings on the off chance that something of import is being discussed? Maybe even a mass mailing outlining what's in the works would have been a prudent and respectful way to proceed? Maybe the membership will be delighted with the separation and decisions made on their behalf. After all, that is why they elect their board. I do think though, that the DVCTA membership was done a disservice to be left out of this club-altering decision regardless of the ultimate outcome.

Finally, best wishes to DVCTA and DAD as separate entities - long may they wave.
                                  while I have no trouble believing in talking lions, emerald cities, and winged monkeys, I refuse to accept there is no paperwork involved when one's house lands on a witch."

Comment

You've got the right of it!

Your explanation is EXACTLY what I have been given to understand. However, I'll take it a step further....

My understanding is that the DVCTA board- at that time- was appalled at the stance taken by DAD- in essence, DAD had already become it's own entity, in the mindsof those at the top. They considered themselves to be autonomous. The contract that was signed with the sponsorhip firm was executed by them, allegedly, without the blessing of the DVCTA BOD. Whe the deal went south, they found a pro bono attorney who, apparently, made things even worse- antagonizing the principle, who was referred to, by one of the DAD top doggies, to me personally, as "Mr. Slimy Sport". Not a great way to address those you were doing business with, eh?

The DAD folks then determined that they simply would take over the BOD of DVCTA, allegedly, and worked very hard to get the positions on the board, encouraging like-minded people to join and vote, lobbying members for proxies, etc.

This, I believe, was the election where Lori came to be on the BOD of DVCTA, along with others.

I am quite sure that they all believe that THEY have the correct view, and that THEY are the ones who can get this done- better, perhaps, than anyone else. Maybe so, but time will tell, as DAD is reorganized into a kinder, gentler, organization.

Comment

Memories of events are often colored by opinion. I'm sure that all of the principles in all of these events remember things differently from one another.

During the time in question, DAD had no representation on the DVCTA board of directors. This, to me is akin to 'taxation without representation'. And, yes, I was one of the newly elected board members at that time.

Since that election, the meetings have been friendlier, the clinics and educational opportunities have multiplied exponentially, the horse trials have been re-instated, and the club is getting more younger members involved in the day to day workings of DVCTA. It is my opinion that DVCTA is a stronger club now than it was three years ago with more to offer it's membership.

Comment

Your statement is incorrect. There have been for years, 2 DAD liason positions on the DVCTA Board. Whether or not they chose to report for DAD to DVCTA, was their personal decision. From what I recall in my experience from the DVCTA mtgs, (& my mental status is so far pretty good,) the DAD liason slept through most DVCTA mtgs. & had to be awakened to make his statements on behalf of the club.

Comment

Working...
                                        X