• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who is your 'dream horse' and why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is your 'dream horse' and why?

Out of all of the horses that you have had (or have known, past and present), who has your favorite been so far, and why? Please share some pics and let us know what qualities have made that horse exactly what you wanted - was it their conformation? attitude? movement? body type? jumping style? something else?

I know that everyone's 'dream horse' is a little different, so I thought it would be great to hear from everyone about what they are looking for.

And for your next horse - what qualities would you want to improve on (from your current horse), and what qualities do you hope to get again?
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, Training & Sporthorse Sales.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

I don't think of it this way. I think every horse has something to teach me - maybe a lesson I don't want to learn, or think I already know (but I don't).

What I do want for my own horse? Smarts and sensitivity. I do not want big movement (I don't care what you need in FEI levels, my back won't take it). I also want a good work ethic.
    Last edited by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"; Aug. 3, 2009, 06:03 PM.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

My dream horse would have been Roemer- I would have loved to ride him just once.

I have to agree with DressageGeek- every horse I have had or ridden has taught me something. Here is a summary of the horses I have owned:
      My first pony "Midnight" gave me confidence
      My second pony, "Thunder" taught me humility (literally)
      My first horse "Willy" we learned first level thru I-1 together- he taught me about true partnership. He gave his whole heart and soul into every test. He wasn't the most brilliant horse, but he was the most consistent. He showed me what it was like to have a horse cover for me.
      I had a schoolmaster "Rushonne" that showed me one's, piaffe and passage- he taught me how to ask a horse not tell. He taught me if I didn't ask perfectly, he wasn't going to give it to me perfectly.
      "Oprhie" taught me that not all projects can be fixed, no matter how hard you try to undo what had already been done. And that not all horses need a person.
      I use all of what I have learned so far on my baby horse "Gram." She is teaching me patience, when to push and how to give confidence to my horse.

I am hoping my baby horse is my dream horse- so far she has been. Great mind, smart, very athletic. Amazing walk, trot is good and canter has potential. Her personality is goofy, but still sweet and she is an in your face cuddler. For me, that bond between the horse and rider is so important. I like when she happy to see me and I to see her.
      Welcome to my dressage world http://www.juliefranzen.blogspot.com/

Comment

It's a tie between my first horse and the horse I have now. Lucky for me, as a kid the horse Gods bestowed the perfect horse to learn on. The horse I have now is a mare and we're totally bonded to one another. If she could improve on one thing, it would be suppleness. She has a tendency to be a little tense and prone to holding her breath. In the years between the first horse and the current horse, I have had the pleasure of owning two buttheads and learned how to divorce a horse.

I have also had the pleasure of owning the almost perfect TB. He was love at first sight and we were together for 13 years. Unfortunately his idea of hell was dressage and after the first year of ownership he was my everything but dressage horse.
        "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Comment

All of them are dream horses.

A dream horse is one that is well matched to the rider; it's not necessarily a perfect or pretty horse. The partnership may not even be all that smooth each day, as long as it is a horse that challenges the rider in the right way.

And a lot of times the not so dream horse still teaches the rider a great deal, and may still be what he needs.
          Last edited by slc2; Aug. 4, 2009, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Willem

I've had the amazing opportunity to work with and ride some amazing horses in my career: Kenn Acebal's Lennox, Kathleen Raine's Fidelia and Avontuur, and Coreene's Oliver but my dream horse would most certainly be Willem. I wish I would have had the opportunity to have known him.

Honestly though, my horse Sierra is my dream horse! I dreamed for 15 years and finally got my own horse.

Comment

Aw shit, Wattie, I'm reading this on the parking lot at the barn in tears, I am so touched! I bought Willem 17 years ago today. Best day of my life. I, too, was going to say Willem. And then Oliver. And Major, my first horse. And Flying Deck, the first horse I ever rode. And Copper, Willem's and Oliver's best friend. Big, big footprints on my heart.

Comment

It might be a little early to tell but I am starting a lease on a schoolmistress, and I adore and love her!!! I've only had three rides / one clinic and a few trail rides on her (but have known her for years), and we just seem to click pretty well. She has had one rider her whole life, so we're still trying to figure each other out, but she's been very generous. Her owner bought her at age 3 and then over the past 13 years brought her to earn her the Silver Medal. She's Oldenburg, actually has less than stellar gaits, is build a tinsy bit downhill, but is a HARD worker, with a wonderful temperament -- she's very, very sweet, but also brave, with a whole lot of self confidence and self-sufficiency. She takes praise with an "well, thank you, but of course I do that well!". She's forward and always tries, and is very sensitive, and obviously has been very correctly trained to I1. I just feel like a princess on her and smile. It's all about keeping her relaxed, swinging, and up, and that suits me well. Her owner wants her to have to work a little less hard now and just left to Europe to pick up her new horse, and I'm thrilled about this opportunity.

And of course I love my one and only OTTB, but he's more of a pet .
                "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Comment

i wanna ride on a shetland pony...

pony?yah...i wanna ride with those cute pony..

Comment

My dream horse was my first pony. I prayed every night for a pony, then one day a man asked if he could keep one at my grandfathers for a couple of days and he never returned. I learned so much going from never being on a horses back to galloping through the trails. To this day all my favorites have been chestnuts, even if my current horse is a dressage dream come true Trixie was my first real love.

Comment

The horses I'm riding right now are all my dream horse, but I could never afford any one like them , so I'll just keep enjoying and enjoying what they have to teach me.

I'm thinking now, though, about getting another horse, since my gelding is retired due to his neurological issues. I'm going to look at a friesian cross this weekend (not even green broke) and laughing at myself. I'm feeling good about it, though - not about this particular horse (although I've certainly started enough 3-4 year olds that the process doesn't intimidate me) but about the hopes and dreams that one brings to the search. I have such a limited budget, and I'm riding such high end horses right now, that the gap between what I want and what I can get is astronomical. But what I DO have now is a sense of what I can accomplish given time and patience. Can I get an 8 mover? Probably not on my budget. But can I get a horse that I can learn to improve on? Probably.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
                        I have also had the pleasure of owning the almost perfect TB. He was love at first sight and we were together for 13 years. Unfortunately his idea of hell was dressage and after the first year of ownership he was my everything but dressage horse.
                        I have one of those, too. Horsie love of my life, yes. Amazing cross country horse, yes. Dream horse for dressage - definitely not. Love him anyway though... Here he is (you'll notice that there are no dressage pictures of him, ha ha): http://warmblood-color.com/Pages/Hor...aju/Fraju.html

My dressage dream horse I think will be our 2yo gelding, Odin. He really is everything that I've always wanted so far. Great, entertaining personality and very sensible away from home. His movement is to die for, so elastic and naturally engaged. Plus he's got just the right body mass (so far) that I was looking for - not as thickly built as his old-style WB dam, but more solid than his jumper-bred sire. Here he is: http://warmblood-color.com/Pages/Horses/Foals/Odin.html

Originally posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
                        I don't think of it this way. I think every horse has something to teach me - maybe a lesson I don't want to learn, or think I already know (but I don't).
                        Yes, absolutely they all have something to teach us - that's why I love riding, you'll never get bored. In fact, many times (as slc2 mentioned) the ones that aren't our 'dreamhorse' are exactly what we need at the time.

Looking at our 2yo now though, I keep catching myself thinking, "Wow. This really is what I've been wanting all these years." That got me wondering, what type of horse is everyone else looking for? If you could have everything you ever wanted in a horse, what would that be? Doesn't have to be pretty or perfect, just has to be *the right* horse for you.

Thanks for your replies so far everyone - I'm enjoying them!
                        Blacktree Farm
                        Blacktree Studio

Comment

I am thinking my yearling filly may just be my dream horse. She's half Lusitano and out of my appendix mare (who I just adore, but who is starting to show her age a bit). She has the forwardness that I have always loved about her dam, but her sire's love of anything that could possibly feed or scratch him. She is also looking to be quite an improvement on her dam's conformation and movement. Since the foals I have known from her sire just keep getting nicer and nicer as they age, I am betting she will do the same.

But then I also have a 3yo Arab gelding who should hit about 15.3h, and I am really liking him. When I first started him I thought he might end up being too sluggish for my taste, but he has become a lot more forward and sensitive. He has a wonderful canter, and has the potential for a lovely trot as well. I think he would be a nice dressage horse, but I think he would absolutely clean up in the main-ring hunter classes on the Arab circuit.

Comment

WarmbloodColor, great video of the chestnut horse jumping and you look like you have a velcro butt....but please....do tell your horse that trying to drain the water hazard by drinking it is 'unacceptable assistance'.

Comment

"Charlie" he is my first dressage horse, a schoolmaster and is now "teaching" my niece. I pinch myself that I have been lucky enough to own such a wonderful horse, he is priceless!
                              Humans don’t mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. –Sebastian Junger

Comment

For dressage, I would love to have my current horse all over again but when she was three. Actually, when she was in utero because her mom was malnourished and so was she. With what i have learned with her, I now might be closer to realizing her true talent. And then I'd want her again in about 15 years from now. In addition, she has the coolest, most expressive and most accessible personality of any horse I have ever known. She is a dog in horse clothing. I have ridden lots of better quality horses but few horses that I've *enjoyed* riding more than my own horse. Nod to Donates, who came awfully close.

But my real dream horse is the little critter in my current horse's uterus. I bred her to a Sandro Hit/Donnerhall/Rubinstein stallion. The SH will hopefully add elasticity while maintaining the engagement and rideability/trainability of the D/R lines. Who knows what'll happen but right now that is my ultimate dream horse!
                                Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by slc2 View Post
                                  WarmbloodColor, great video of the chestnut horse jumping and you look like you have a velcro butt....but please....do tell your horse that trying to drain the water hazard by drinking it is 'unacceptable assistance'.
                                  I'll be sure to tell him.
                                  That guy could sure be a difficult ride sometimes - but man oh man he was fun once you got rolling on cross country. I am very ready to start showing another horse in dressage though.
                                  Blacktree Farm
                                  Blacktree Studio

Comment

My dream horse is my mare that I have now when she is SOUND (she has a degenerative navicular)

Why? Simply b/c I love her. That's enough to make me happy.

She has the strongest/greatest personality that I ever had in a horse. We click together, she takes care of me. I can take her anywhere, even to a 3 day trail riding vacation with friends and show her at 4th level. She takes care of my hubby = when she was just 5 years old, my hubby trail rode her for 3 hours!!! and she was just great, took a great care of him. She is a mother hen! She loves learning tricks, she can smile with her lip, she can give a bow. there is something about her that I really, really love. She is the first horse that I feel like she is a part of my family. I really hope that she will hold up with her navicular for a while longer (she is 11 now)

Comment

I managed to buy my dream horse but it took a while for us to develop an understanding

If it had to be a different horse, something built just like him, with his temperament, maybe about 4" shorter. And liver chestnut. A Welsh Cob

Comment

Ravel. no doubt.
                                        Proud owner of an Econo Nag...

Comment

Working...
                                        X