• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Clinic of Hans Peter and Edward Gal (riding a 1.88 meters giant)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Clinic of Hans Peter and Edward Gal (riding a 1.88 meters giant)

    Clinic of Hans Peter and Edward Gal (riding a 1.88 meter giant).

    http://www.topdressage.tv/phpBB3/vie....php?f=11&t=17

    [edit]
    Theo
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Aug. 2, 2009, 07:01 AM.

  • #2
    My GAWD that's one freaking enormous horse.

    Lovely, though.

    Comment


    • #3
      What a hoot! Gal doesn't have to raise his heel to get his spur on for a change.

      Oh, Theo. How does one say deep and low in Dutch?

      Comment


      • #4
        Love Gal's chairseat. I have one just like it! Glad to see them coming back into style
        "Capture the horse's confidence to obtain his consent." -General L'Hotte

        Comment


        • #5
          Rollkur City.
          2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

          A helmet saved my life.

          Comment


          • #6
            18.2 and change. Darling.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks Theo,
              Besides the big horse what I loved about the video was how supple and elastic those two horses were. And how easy those two guys make dressage look - I think it's lucky to get to see them school and I have no idea where others can say that those horses are being "tortured" by being ridden this way. I think at least 85% of riders here torture their horses just by sitting the trot... To me it is waaay more painful to go and watch the warmup at any of our local shows. I've only seen two riders here that have the ability to gymnasticize their horses as well as these two - Steffen and Guenter.

              Do you happen to know what the breeding is on those two horses?

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm only 10 mins in, and of course, understand 0% of what is being said, but I like the way HPM rides, but not so flash on the way Edward Gal is riding here. As someone has mentioned, he is quite chair seat on this horse which is surprising as he normally looks very 'together' with his horses.

                Also wish it was in English or had English subtitles! But know this would be too hard.

                Both are very nice horses

                Edited to add observations (and nothing about Rollkur!!): Much MUCH prefer what HPM is doing with his horse as opposed to Edward. I know they train together, and I think train with the same instructor etc etc but he seems to have a lot more relaxed in his approach. He drops the reins and gives the horse regular breaks, as well as pats/praise, whereas I don't see so much from Edward (though he may be vocally praising - me no speakest no dutch!). Also Edward appears to be a bit more forceful in his approach. HPM seems a lot quieter. The changes work was particularly interesting. HPM had beautiful clean/straight changes, and waited for when the canter was well developed and balanced before asking whereas Edward had to use all of himself to get the changes out of his horse, they were quite swingy too. Noted that HPM's horse appears to have a stronger canter. Edward appears to be a little less soft in the hand too.

                Thanks so much for posting Theo. A great vid to have a look through.
                Last edited by Surviving the Dramas; Aug. 4, 2009, 06:26 AM.
                If you want to feel rich, just count all of the things you have that money can't buy.

                -Anon

                Comment


                • #9
                  To a slight degree, I think the saddle is affecting his position, it appears to be made for someone with a much longer thigh. I also think he's trying to keep a very light leg on the horse by bringing his lower leg forward. Too, the horse is so big, and it looks like he's getting used to the horse. The horse is huge, I'm not so sure it's easy to find a place for everything on him. Edward, I don't think, is so tall.

                  He has his lower leg slightly out in front of him, but he doesn't have a chair seat. In a chair seat, the lower part of the leg is not brought forward from the hip or knee. The position of the lower leg per se doesn't make a chair seat. What makes it a chair seat is the thigh is approaching the horizontal because the knee is lifted upward. His thigh is not approaching the horizontal, his thigh is almost vertical.

                  Like a lot of very tall people with very long legs, Hans Peter doesn't always have a very deep, low heel, and each movement of his lower leg is accentuated by his long legs. He still controls his spur and heel and can regulate it very subtly, so doesn't run into the problems of someone who can't control his lower leg because he doesn't have a deep open seat/hip. His soft position follows the movement of the horse so you see the very calm, nice big changes on the horse.

                  I know it feels cool to criticize the position of a top rider, but what I like to do is try to see how each person is a little different and how it works out for the horse's performance. A person who has mastered the basics and gained an adherent, deep seat still can have slight changes to his position.

                  this isn't technically a chair seat. This is a lower leg brought forward, the thigh remains very long and vertical with his knee low.

                  Most riders have something that's not entirely perfect in their position at any given point in time, and in being very soft and loose and following the motions of big gaited horses, the top professionals don't always look ideal. Slight deviations from the ideal aren't unusual. Some trainers maintain that not all people can or will sit exactly the same, and that slight adjustments are acceptable as long as the rider is effective and comfortable for the horse.

                  As far as the position of his toes, I recall very lengthy slags in my direction when I even suggested everyone should bring their toes forward even a slight bit more in order to open their hips. I was told in no uncertain terms that this is impossible for everyone and that people must accept that slight adjustments against this ideal are necessary. Is this important and indisputable rule different for Edward Gal?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Surviving the Dramas View Post
                    I'm only 10 mins in, and of course, understand 0% of what is being said, but I like the way HPM rides,
                    I fell in love with HPMs riding at the Wellington World Dressage Masters, so I agree completely.

                    OH, and he and Gal are partners--don't know about business/training, I mean life partners...
                    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

                    Comment

                    • Original Poster

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Surviving the Dramas View Post
                      I'm only 10 mins in, and of course, understand 0% of what is being said, but I like the way HPM rides, but not so flash on the way Edward Gal is riding here. As someone has mentioned, he is quite chair seat on this horse which is surprising as he normally looks very 'together' with his horses.

                      Also wish it was in English or had English subtitles! But know this would be too hard.

                      Both are very nice horses

                      Edited to add observations (and nothing about Rollkur!!): Much MUCH prefer what HPM is doing with his horse as opposed to Edward. I know they train together, and I think train with the same instructor etc etc but he seems to have a lot more relaxed in his approach. He drops the reins and gives the horse regular breaks, as well as pats/praise, whereas I don't see so much from Edward (though he may be vocally praising - me no speakest no dutch!). Also Edward appears to be a bit more forceful in his approach. HPM seems a lot quieter. The changes work was particularly interesting. HPM had beautiful clean/straight changes, and waited for when the canter was well developed and balanced before asking whereas Edward had to use all of himself to get the changes out of his horse, they were quite swingy too. Noted that HPM's horse appears to have a stronger canter. Edward appears to be a little less soft in the hand too.

                      Thanks so much for posting Theo. A great vid to have a look through.
                      Let me start with telling you that Hans Peter and Edward train eachother since they have become life-partners. As Dutch A-team members they have to go once a while for an observation training to our national coach Sjef Janssen (like all other A- and B- team members). Which they all consider to be very helpfull and positive. The way they have chosen to ride their horses have turned out to be very positive (look at Lingh and Ravel). In the four videos I have posted of their clinics they explain their way of training and the reason why they use this training. Funny thing however is that when Carl Hester explains (in English) exactly the same thing everybody yells woow and yes, and when a Dutch rider explains it (in Dutch) people start yelling GRRRR and no.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The big horse is a Krack C x Contango (fascinating combination of bloodlines in my mind) and the other one, I think is by Olivi....
                        Great learning opportunity even if you don't understand what HPM and EG are saying - just watch with an open mind.
                        Siegi Belz
                        www.stalleuropa.com
                        2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
                        Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          F---ing brilliant.

                          Personally I think you should have the ability to ride the neck/back in any position - long and low, deep, up with the poll the highest.

                          I loved watching EG when at one point he was cantering straight with the head and neck really flexed right and then he turned that into a super canter half pass.

                          i don't think that big bay looks easy at the begining he had the tendency to junp together behind at the canter. I'd love to ride the little black one!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by slc2 View Post
                            To a slight degree, I think the saddle is affecting his position, it appears to be made for someone with a much longer thigh. I also think he's trying to keep a very light leg on the horse by bringing his lower leg forward. Too, the horse is so big, and it looks like he's getting used to the horse. The horse is huge, I'm not so sure it's easy to find a place for everything on him. Edward, I don't think, is so tall.

                            He has his lower leg slightly out in front of him, but he doesn't have a chair seat. In a chair seat, the lower part of the leg is not brought forward from the hip or knee. The position of the lower leg per se doesn't make a chair seat. What makes it a chair seat is the thigh is approaching the horizontal because the knee is lifted upward. His thigh is not approaching the horizontal, his thigh is almost vertical.

                            Like a lot of very tall people with very long legs, Hans Peter doesn't always have a very deep, low heel, and each movement of his lower leg is accentuated by his long legs. He still controls his spur and heel and can regulate it very subtly, so doesn't run into the problems of someone who can't control his lower leg because he doesn't have a deep open seat/hip. His soft position follows the movement of the horse so you see the very calm, nice big changes on the horse.

                            I know it feels cool to criticize the position of a top rider, but what I like to do is try to see how each person is a little different and how it works out for the horse's performance. A person who has mastered the basics and gained an adherent, deep seat still can have slight changes to his position.

                            this isn't technically a chair seat. This is a lower leg brought forward, the thigh remains very long and vertical with his knee low.

                            Most riders have something that's not entirely perfect in their position at any given point in time, and in being very soft and loose and following the motions of big gaited horses, the top professionals don't always look ideal. Slight deviations from the ideal aren't unusual. Some trainers maintain that not all people can or will sit exactly the same, and that slight adjustments are acceptable as long as the rider is effective and comfortable for the horse.

                            As far as the position of his toes, I recall very lengthy slags in my direction when I even suggested everyone should bring their toes forward even a slight bit more in order to open their hips. I was told in no uncertain terms that this is impossible for everyone and that people must accept that slight adjustments against this ideal are necessary. Is this important and indisputable rule different for Edward Gal?
                            Slc, you must have a lot of spare time. I'm just being lighthearted, not critical. I often end up riding like that also because I have a short thigh and too long flapped saddles. The best position is the one you ride best from.
                            "Capture the horse's confidence to obtain his consent." -General L'Hotte

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well, Theo, if they are saying in Dutch what Carl Hester is saying in English, then I just love them all the more.

                              I'll have to watch again. Maybe it's time to Rosetta Stone Dutch and German (ah, if only my Nana was still alive, or had insisted I pay more attention to my German language lessons....)
                              From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by freestyle2music View Post
                                Let me start with telling you that Hans Peter and Edward train eachother since they have become life-partners. As Dutch A-team members they have to go once a while for an observation training to our national coach Sjef Janssen (like all other A- and B- team members). Which they all consider to be very helpfull and positive. The way they have chosen to ride their horses have turned out to be very positive (look at Lingh and Ravel). In the four videos I have posted of their clinics they explain their way of training and the reason why they use this training.
                                Thanks Theo, I had a sneaking suspicion that they probably trained each other, and I was in no way criticising either of their riding at all - just that they are clearly quite different, and I prefer the way HPM rides. They are both hugely successful and have produced hugely successful horses that have gone on to be successful under other riders too. I really enjoyed the work that they did, and thought that their positioning was at all times great and not to the extreme.

                                SLC - at the end of the day, we disagree. I think he was a bit chair seat on this horse, and the style of saddle that he had on this horse (happy to be proven wrong) looks the same as the one he uses on Totilas. That could be this horse, and it certainly did look "hotter" than HPM's horse.

                                I appreciate getting to watch riders of this calibre effectively "schooling." We don't get to see this over here, so I like to analyse the way they do things, learn from them, and pick up new techniques.

                                I can't wait til Steffan Peters is here in September - YAY!
                                If you want to feel rich, just count all of the things you have that money can't buy.

                                -Anon

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Awesome video!! Thanks for sharing. I love watching those guys ride.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    I think Gal's legs are a tad forward so he can stop that sucker. The horse looks like he'd enjoy nothing more than an out-of-hand cross country gallop. Phew! Just imagine.......

                                    I wonder what the joke is about the sliding stop.

                                    Comment

                                    • Original Poster

                                      #19
                                      Originally posted by alicen View Post
                                      I think Gal's legs are a tad forward so he can stop that sucker. The horse looks like he'd enjoy nothing more than an out-of-hand cross country gallop. Phew! Just imagine.......

                                      I wonder what the joke is about the sliding stop.
                                      Edward explains in this video that he is certainly NOT an example of a good seat. Toes out etc...etc.... But since he don't want to think about his toes and and and, he decided just to do it his way. He also stated that he will always teach his students to do it right.

                                      Theo

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by freestyle2music View Post
                                        Edward explains in this video that he is certainly NOT an example of a good seat. Toes out etc...etc.... But since he don't want to think about his toes and and and, he decided just to do it his way. He also stated that he will always teach his students to do it right.

                                        Theo
                                        Haha, "Do as I say, not as I do." But seriously, pros often have to ride a little bit outside of perfect equitation while training. It's just the way it goes. They usually always have the solid basics there, but everyone is going to look a little different on a green horse or on a horse that needs some corrective schooling (like, say an 18.2 hander who may like to get a little strong...)

                                        Clearly EG doesn't need me to make excuses for him, just noting that once somebody knows how to do it the "right" way, they can then make adjustments to fit each horse they're on. I guess I tend to take the pro's side in these discussions because it's so easy to nitpick videos of people we've never been able to watch train and school in person. Certainly just because someone is a pro doesn't mean they're beyond reproach, but it is awfully easy to watch a video and decide how they could be doing it better.
                                        Last edited by bort84; Aug. 5, 2009, 12:11 PM.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X