• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Video of WEG2006 -- Was Anky's ride really the best?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of these judges need to see a horse a liberty to know what some of these moves are actually supposed to look like -- for example, the passage, and the extended trot. Some of these top horses produce beautiful passage, and others just do not have enough impulsion. And extended trots where the front end is moving real big and the hind legs half as much should be severely penalized.

I have not seen one of Anky's performances since the Athens Olympics games. How much better are her performances now? I thought it was a joke that she won the gold in Athens -- her horse couldn't even perform piaffe and he looked very tense throughout the test.

Comment

Come on Fiona - "TENS - it's a multiple word" are rare. Who in Grand Prix has scored multiple 10's in a championship ride? Please let me know the where- since you feel this is happening. Read what I wrote.

You all can have Anky and her rides - being there and seeing it makes me worried that that is where we are heading with dressage training. Tense, tight horses with technical correctness but absolutely NO BEAUTY to the ride and no softness in the body at all. It's movements on demand with little or no beauty and magic to it.

And those commentators can say whatever they want about mistakes - but even the scoring DURING all the rides was at times weird. You have 5 judges and marks would range from 5's up to 8's and not because of where they were seated. I thought LInda Zang was at times looking somewhere else.

And the buzz really was that the gray mare was not his top horse but his 3rd horse - and she held her own in a stadium filled to overflowing with screaming people and thrilled everyone watching and her rider.

And Aunt Esther and Diamond Girl - if this is only about what the judges score and the riders think - then DON'T SELL TICKETS. Why charge people money to watch if you feel they should just sit, watch, clap and shut up??? It's a spectator sport - HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every single person watching has the right to have an opinion whether they hold a judges card or not - you two seem to be the thought police - deciding who is worthy to comment or have any input - this is a DISCUSSION BOARD isn't it?
      If you don't like the thread - don't read it.

I don't waste time on Anky - I just feel badly for the tense horses. But took tremendous JOY in watching many of the rides - that may have fell somewhat short of the medals but showed a horse and rider that were obviously connected to each other and their magic was contagious and had world class rides.
      Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
      "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_rid...rldcup_052703/

i'll try and find more of Rusty's scores but he wasn't/isn't the only horse i've seen in international competition that got/gets them. so yeah, plural

http://www.dressageunltd.com/aachen0...os/0630gpk.htm

http://www.dressageunltd.com/jerez20.../bestmoves.htm

there are plenty more examples.These people are awesome riders with amazing horses.

Comment

Originally posted by ise@ssl View Post
          You all can have Anky and her rides - being there and seeing it makes me worried that that is where we are heading with dressage training. Tense, tight horses with technical correctness but absolutely NO BEAUTY to the ride and no softness in the body at all. It's movements on demand with little or no beauty and magic to it.
          I feel the same way. I watched the rides several times now and Salinero just looks so mechanical...so tense to me also...the uneven jerky passage steps, the lack of a halt, and a number of other signs too numerous to mention. He never looks truly relaxed or soft in the back to me.

It is so odd that we all see the same ride so differently.

Comment

Originally posted by grayarabpony View Post
            Some of these judges need to see a horse a liberty to know what some of these moves are actually supposed to look like -- for example, the passage, and the extended trot. Some of these top horses produce beautiful passage, and others just do not have enough impulsion. And extended trots where the front end is moving real big and the hind legs half as much should be severely penalized.
            I’m sure that ALL of these judges have seen horses passaging and extending the trot at liberty and know exactly what it looks like. However, the passage, piaffe, extended trot and so on shown under saddle IS different than that displayed at liberty; and should be since the horse now has the burden of performing the movements under a rider’s weight.

With that said, what you need to recognize is that no horse can perform every movement to a 9 or 10, no matter how talented or well trained. Each horse will have several things it excels in and several weaker areas. The GP tests are rigorous, and they test collection, extension, flexibility, obedience, and so on. The horse has to be strong in all areas. This is why you don’t see a lot of baroque (Lipizzans, Andalusians, etc.) competing at GP. They are the masters of collection but fall short in the area of extension. However, they are at the top of the heap as demo horses because of their collected work and ability to do the airs.

The riders of the top, international, GP horses know their horses’ strengths and weaknesses and do their utmost to show off the strengths while finessing the weaknesses. I think a lot of people have this misconception that a GP horse should be able to do every single movement nearly perfectly, and that’s just not reasonable. Look at figure skaters, golfers, swimmers, etc. etc.—they all are stronger in some areas of their sport than others. Same is true for horses. There simply does not exist an Uber-athlete in any field that can score a 10 on every movement.

Comment

The question was " was anky's ride really the best?" on the day in that particular test the answer is "yes".

Salinero just looks so mechanical...so tense to me also...the uneven jerky passage steps, the lack of a halt, and a number of other signs too numerous to mention. He never looks truly relaxed or soft in the back to me.
              I'd agree with that but the other horses that were more regular in the passage, less marrionette style in the way of going etc etc had other problems on the day in that test and made more mistakes. They also scored lower on the music which i can't comment on because i don't understand how to judge it despite horsedances excellent explanations in text of one syllable!

Bear in mind also, you are not viewing from the same angle as the judges so they may see stuff you don't and vice versa. There is also always the possibility that they know what they are doing and got it right.

Anky and Salinero had some low marks through the competition and were not at the top of the leader board in the tests that scored totally on the technical requirements. But as i think she said herself she made mistakes and it's a boring sport if you know who's going to win in advance.

Comment

There simply does not exist an Uber-athlete in any field ......
                You've never been horse buying in Ireland have you?

Comment

OK - this is really bugging me. I watched the rides again and I just don't see what everyone is talking about with Anky. I am no expert - that is for certain. I watch and try to learn something from all the riders. But I have watched old tapes of Anky with trainers and a judge and they pointed some things out to me that I wouldn't have seen on my own. One is that her transitions from passage to piaffe and back again are so smooth and effortless looking. Her horse is very consistent and I really don't see the tension everyone refers to. Even at the completion of her test, he looks happy and beautiful as he makes his way around the arena. And I love the way she always gives so much of the credit to her horses. She seems to be a very composed, kind and humble person. And along with all these riders, talent galore. But again, I am not that experienced and this is just basically viewing a video on my computer.

But from what I understand and can see, her horse looks fluid, very consistent, performs without a mistake that I can really see and has incredible transitions that are smooth and effortless. Plus her music is timed perfectly to her horse. She seems to me to be an absolute master at the freestyle.

I love her beautiful rides and I really don't understand what appears to be just plain nit-picking about her. The other rides were quite beautiful too, but even with my lack of experience, I did notice some mistakes, whereas I really couldn't point one out in Anky's ride.

Just my humble opinion, but I think Anky is incredible. I think we can all be fairly certain that none of these horses are a piece of cake to ride and all these rides are something to aspire to.

One more thing - I think for the most part the judges do a great job. They have quite a job watching fabulous ride after fabulous ride. I am sure it is not always an easy task to judge such a caliber of horse and rider and I am thankful for the job they do. They have a bit of a thankless job (except, of course, seeing all the incredible rides) and I am sure take quite a bit of heat. Having had the opportunity to have a judge teach a clinic in my area right after a show where she was the judge, I had a tremedous opportunity to hear first-hand as to why she scored the way that she did and it was quite an eye opener. She was great and I hope to have the opportunity again.
                  Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
                  friendship without envy or beauty without vanity?
                  Ode to the Horse. ~ Ronald Duncan

Comment

This is so funny

When Salinero can't stand still at the halt and salut, this is called "tension".

When another horse can't stand still at the halt and salut this is called
                    "the horse is eager to go to work"

Comment

Originally posted by Horsedances View Post
                      When Salinero can't stand still at the halt and salut, this is called "tension".

Thanks for clarifying! hehehehe...
                      Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
                      friendship without envy or beauty without vanity?
                      Ode to the Horse. ~ Ronald Duncan

Comment

and when 50,000 people are cheering and clapping like we did and the horse stands still .....

call the vet.

Comment

And Aunt Esther and Diamond Girl - if this is only about what the judges score and the riders think - then DON'T SELL TICKETS. Why charge people money to watch if you feel they should just sit, watch, clap and shut up??? It's a spectator sport - HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every single person watching has the right to have an opinion whether they hold a judges card or not - you two seem to be the thought police - deciding who is worthy to comment or have any input - this is a DISCUSSION BOARD isn't it?
                          Hmmm. No need to shout Ise. Did you forget your meds today?

Comment

No meds - kiddo - just sick of snobs that think the masses who support this sport should shut up and clap. There are alot of people RIDING horses that don't have as much knowledge as many people WATCHING. And if you think people don't discuss the rides in detail and disagree - then where in God's name were you sitting or standing at the WEG's. We were in our seats and in the warm up area and all over the stadium at different locations - do you honestly think everyone there agreed with the judges?? Then I guess you are deaf and didn't hear the whistling or level or lack of applause for certain horses.

One thing for sure - Anky's horse just didn't look as happy and soft in the eye as some of the others that had mistakes. But maybe that isn't important to some people.
                            Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
                            "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

Comment

Not only is it a sign of tension and anxiety but it is a disobedience and a mistake...I thought you said that other than her extended trot her ride was mistake free?

Comment

It was a remark of

This was a remark of one on the commentators, when Floriano took off before Steffen Peters could put his hat back on.

Wooooow I love these disobedient horses, because Steffen had one of his best rides ever.

Theo

Comment

Personally I thought Anky winning was ok. I wasn't sure I agreed that the gap between her and the others was as big as the score indicated, and I personally wasn't totally over-enamoured with her Kür, but I think I may have seen it once or twice too often, and unlike - for example - Rusty's "Carmina Burana" Kür Anky's *IS* one I don't want to see too often as it doesn't "grab me" emotionally like some others do. person taste, nothing against the Kür, I'm sure for many it's wonderful.

I am also sure I have seen her do the same Kür better.

Having said that Matine is ONLY nine years old. She has never performed under floodlights, she has never done anything like she did those days before in her life, and she has years ahead of her to get it right. I am also in love with that horse, she is just totally awesome.

The one thing that struck me was how big the gulf between the top handful and the rest is. There was a very distinct elite group with paces that didn't just seem a little better, but MUCH better all round.
                                    I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later.
                                    Figiel

Comment

Aunt Esther, national and international Purse Champion, was in Aachen for the entire duration. Aunt Esther wonders where ise@ssl comes up with "if you think they should just sit," because nowhere does Aunt Esther suggest that people should just sit, watch, clap and shut up.

Aunt Esther, who earned her Goldenes Reitabzeichen probably before ise@ssl was born, thinks that perhaps ise@ssl is having a bad day and recommends a Macallan. A double.

Comment

Originally posted by Aunt Esther View Post
                                        Aunt Esther, who earned her Goldenes Reitabzeichen probably before ise@ssl was born, thinks that perhaps ise@ssl is having a bad day and recommends a Macallan. A double.
                                        But it is generaly known that a double Macallen limits your view. So please ise@ssl don't follow this advice of Aunt Esther.

Comment

This was a remark of one on the commentators, when Floriano took off before Steffen Peters could put his hat back on.

Wooooow I love these disobedient horses, because Steffen had one of his best rides ever.

Theo
                                          And it should have (and probably did) get counted against his ride as a mistake. I'm not biased to American riders...I could care less where anyone if from or what their reputation is...a mistake should be marked down.

Comment

Working...
                                          X