• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

My *possibly* new Dressage prospect = )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My *possibly* new Dressage prospect = )

Is for sale by a person I know on Facebook

'Rising 3 TB mare by Cool Cat, unbroken but ready to go. Very quiet and easy to handle, will mature a fine 15-15.2hh'

Her sire: http://www.darlingtonstud.com.au/coolcat.html

I was hoping for something between 16 - 16.3 + hh, as I am quite tall, but she sounds fine

I am looking for a greenbean to go on with, and if I start her myself, I will know what she knows. If you know what I mean

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...0_148875_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...1_261131_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._5712306_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._6416810_n.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4028551_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4130587_n.jpg

What do you guys think ?

Though, I will probably have to pass on her, because I don't really have the room, and my sister wants to sell her pony, because she's getting to big to ride her, but she doesn't. We'll have to wait and see..

If it were me, I would pass.

He's camped out behind, has a weak forearm set too far forward and his croup is too steep. His hip is more like a jumper's than a dressage horse's.

He also looks back at the knee, but it's hard to see with the wraps. Throatlatch is kinda thick and his neck a tad short.

Just my 2 cents
    Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Comment

• Original Poster

She does have jumping lines as well, and she's only 3 - still a baby.

Comment

For a lower level horse, possibly. I can't see her legs, so can't comment on that, except that even with the wraps she appears very light boned, but she looks like she will have a heavy coarse front end (neck, shoulder, chest are loaded now even as a youngster, with a very straight low set neck), and a very short, narrow croup. She naturally moves very on the forehand in the pictures, carrying her head and neck rather low. She appears to tighten up her back muscles and under neck to balance herself.

Comment

I think it's different if it's a horse you start out with. If you already owned her and were asking if you should do dressage with her, I'd say "sure, why not?" But as a purpose-based purchase, I might keep looking for a while to see what else is out there in your price range. You might as well get as much horse for your money as you possibly can...

Comment

cute!

dressage is for all horses, and unless she is lame etc she seems perfectly fine for dressage.

remember folks - most of us have no Olympic aspirations.... we just want to learn and progress the horses we love.

Comment

I would pass

I don't care for her front end at all. Her neck is low set, and her whole front end is heavy. She may appear to be camped out due to the way she was set up for the photo, but I'd certainly find out about that.
              Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

Originally posted by mbm View Post
                cute!

dressage is for all horses, and unless she is lame etc she seems perfectly fine for dressage.

remember folks - most of us have no Olympic aspirations.... we just want to learn and progress the horses we love.
                Absolutely true, but if you're going to buy a prospect, it might as well be the best prospect you can buy...

Comment

Originally posted by thatmoody View Post
                  Absolutely true, but if you're going to buy a prospect, it might as well be the best prospect you can buy...
                  Exactly.

Eileen
                  Mad Mare™ Studio
                  Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.

Comment

What's wrong with the right side ?
                    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

The real question is "what price?". I would not look on this horse as an upper level SHOW prospect per say. I to believe dressage is for all horses, not just pricey "specially bred" Warmbloods. However when it comes to competing and paying out a lot of money to show its best to hedge your bets with a horse that is of-the-style. In other words the kinds of horses the judges like to look on. This horse is lovely but has several flaws already pointed out by others, it's really more of "huntery" kinda horse, though even there I would not consider an "A circuit prospect". This horse is cute and looks kind but you can find horses just as nice or NICER for a grand or so on CANTER. What this horse really has going for it is that it is an UNSTARTED three year old, in the TB world that's hard to find! If you can get him on the cheap I would say for it, but they want a heafty chunk of money I would say pass.

Comment

I always interpret "prospect" as something that is competitive up the levels. In the future, it will really help if the OP could state her expectation of the horse.

Also be careful what you're paying for these "prospect" type.

I know so many people bought the wrong horse, including myself, imagining they are more capable than they could ever be, it's not even funny.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm not planning on moving up the levels anytime soon. I'm happy where I am doing simple WTC tests.

My intentions for her are basic dressage, some jumping, a HT now and then, and Show Hunter classes, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iJfw66d9RE&feature=fvw

Nothing to advanced. Will probably end up training her up, then selling her to a PC kid.

She is $5500 (US$4,517), which is a little out of reach, but I'm talking to her owner about maybe a lease, where I could pay her off through the fees.. I've done it before.

Conformation wise, she doesn't worry me. I've asked lots of Q's , and she seems fine. Nothing serious to worry about.

Comment

For $5500, No way. You can get a relatively established Prelim/Novice horse (Although more of a Pony Clubber type than something that would go higher than Elementary) for that much. Unless it was something truly spectacular, I wouldn't pay that much for an unbroken Thoroughbred. Has she raced? You can get some very nice OTTBs for under $1000.

OTTBs aren't everyone's cup of tea, especially ones the more interesting temperaments. But in Aus you can get decent enough Warmblood propects for around the 5k mark that don't have in fashion bloodlines and while are nice horses, aren't going to be the next Olympic superstar but sound suitable for what you're looking for.

From what I've seen Arab x Warmblood youngsters usually go for affordable prices too and most I've seen make nice Dressage prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by mandalea View Post
                              I'm not planning on moving up the levels anytime soon. I'm happy where I am doing simple WTC tests.

My intentions for her are basic dressage, some jumping, a HT now and then, and Show Hunter classes, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iJfw66d9RE&feature=fvw

Nothing to advanced. Will probably end up training her up, then selling her to a PC kid.

She is $5500 (US$4,517), which is a little out of reach, but I'm talking to her owner about maybe a lease, where I could pay her off through the fees.. I've done it before. . . .
                              In all seriousness, why did you even bother asking us what we thought? You obviously want this horse regardless of its suitability for dressage. Any horse can do simple W/T/C tests.

As for the asking price -- IMO that's a ridiculous amount for that mare, regardless of bloodline.

Conformation wise, she doesn't worry me. I've asked lots of Q's , and she seems fine. Nothing serious to worry about.
                              What we are pointing out are not just soundness issues, but conformation issues that will not improve with age and which could affect her movement as a dressage horse.

If you really want an overall opinion, you might want to try posting this in the h/j forum instead of here.

You did ask

Eileen
                              Mad Mare™ Studio

Comment

The HJ forum is far less likely to show concern about the conformation issues that make the most prpblem for dressage.

I DO so love it when people ask for comments on a horse, 'should I buy him or not' and then after people work their little brains, carefully type in their comments, and pore carefully over the pictures, say 'Well, I'm getting him anyway, so sod off'. ESPECIALLY when it really sounds like they had that POV from the START.

Ir you have already decided, just post and say, 'I'm buying this'. Please.

THEN you tell us they want 5500 dollars for it and you're gonna somehow finagle to pay that!

Comment

I think she's cute. What kind of 'person' is she? A good work ethic and a willing temperament can help to overcome physical shortcomings.
                                  Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by slc2 View Post
                                    The HJ forum is far less likely to show concern about the conformation issues that make the most prpblem for dressage.
                                    True, but aren't some of the issues we've pointed out universal conformation problems? I just can't see that mare lifting that front end over a jump very nicely. Then again, I don't know, so that's why I'm asking.

. . .
                                    THEN you tell us they want 5500 dollars for it and you're gonna somehow finagle to pay that!
                                    That's that part that gets me. If she were a couple thousand, sure, but not at that price. No amount of maturity is going to fix some of the conformation problems that mare has.

Eileen
                                    Mad Mare™ Studio

Comment

Guys, if that horse is from breeder, especially those who thought they are breeding dressage horses, I doubt she would want to part with a horse for much less... unless it's herd reduction or something. Just how it goes.

Having said that, that's the price the breeder want to charge, that's her business. There are indeed tons of cheaper ones out there of compatible quality.

Again, this is one of those "fall in love and figure out what to do with it later".

And we all know what happen usually.

But I don't understand why OP wants to call her a dressage prospect in the original post, when she wants to do hunter. ?????? What a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by MyReality View Post
                                        But I don't understand why OP wants to call her a dressage prospect in the original post, when she wants to do hunter. ?????? What a waste of time.
                                        She's from Australia and our hunters over here are completely different from the American version. Our 'Show Hunters' are judged on the flat and should (although alot are just jammed up in double bridles ) work in a similar manner to a Dressage horse. We have 'Working Hunter' as well, which is over fences.

Although by Australian standards, in my opinion, that mare is not a hunter type.

Comment

Working...
                                        X