• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Rollkur--A Picture is worth a thousand words

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by nero
    """The Other side consists of lots of US riders( let's call them the republicans..)""""
    Ok, this die hard DEM is NOW offended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think Shrubco represents the U.S. take a look at actual election results. He wasn't even ELECTED the first time and quite narrowly the second time (how, I will NEVER understand).

This administration barely represents half of the people who actually voted. Nevermind all the people too fed up to bother. But I digress.....
    The two most important days in your life are the day you're born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by nero
      That aside when arguing that we use pics of rk to 'prove' it is hard on the horses, well that would only be vaild and useful for the purposes of a debate if the pics (that are so often used on these forums, the same ones over and over again, from the ONE source,) WERE NOT taken by someone with an axe to grind against the method itself. Lets have a pro rker take pics at a show, edit them, select the ones they want for their purposes, or better still someone who was totally neutral in the debate, then if those pics still look harsh and show horses twisted and tormented you might have a case.
      Thank you for finally entering into a discussion.

1. Have the pics in H4L really been used before? (Actual, serious question)
      2. I would LOVE to see photos from MANY sources of horses actually in RK for discussion. The problem typically is, though, when a pro RK person posts pics, they post pics from the show ring--NOT actually IN RK.

I'd love to see some if any one has them.
      The two most important days in your life are the day you're born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain

Comment

• "and we're forever thankful to have our omnipotent slc give us the straight scoop on what we're really saying."

no seigi, that's just how i see it. you'll have to decide what you think yourself.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Sabine
          The real question in the end is: have horses suffered a lot because of RK and if they have- do they suffer as much as those that you describe because they have their feet disfigured, or those that are treated abusively to jump higher or those that get raced at age 2 and die on the track.
          I just cannot comprehend the "since THEY do it, it's ok for US to do it" philosophy. Many horses in ALL disciplines are started too early, pushed too hard, and die in the name of "sport".

I would certainly hope we set the bar a bit higher than death to determine what is and isn't cruel.

Comment

• class, everyone should strive to improve their knowledge, I'm not sure what is funny about that. It would be sheer arrogance for a person to think they know EVERYTHING and have nothing else to learn.

Pots, kettles, frying pans, they're all great for troll poking, lol.
            "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." George Burns

Comment

• sorry. i just got a tickle out of you telling an "R" judge what the number scores meant. i'm sure that is very useful information to her.

Comment

• not to say the pro rollkurists here offer anything better in return. most here i don't think have much experience with it, and are just repeating things they heard, too.
                Uh Oh slc.....I think you might be onto something here......

Comment

• I just stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd add two "thoughts":

According to my calendar the full moon was on the 9th of August - today it is the last quarter. And it isn't as hot out - so tempers can't be blamed on heat, either. So perhaps the last quarter of the moon is the culprit and not the full moon or high temps.

I couldn't help but notice that you could replace the word "Rollkur" with "slaughter" and this thread has amazing parallels to slaughter threads. How interesting.

Oops - I guess that's three "thoughts".

Back to your regularly scheduled Rollkur debate. I'm just lurking while I wait for the farrier to show up!
                  Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                  Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                  -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by tewhann
                    I just cannot comprehend the "since THEY do it, it's ok for US to do it" philosophy. Many horses in ALL disciplines are started too early, pushed too hard, and die in the name of "sport".

I would certainly hope we set the bar a bit higher than death to determine what is and isn't cruel.

you can do as you please TEwhann- you can ride RK (if you know how) or abstain if you have ethical concerns...I do the same- and choose to abstain. However I would never dream of telling you that you couldn't try it...that would be akin to me lording over you my ethical framework.

Since none of the RK horses are clearly and apparently suffering from their training in the sense that they break down regularly, show high amounts of tension during competitions or are known otherwise as treacherously dangerous and unpredictable- I have a hard time attaching such a serious verdict on to a photograph- which as always- just reflects a moment in time.
                    "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

Comment

• Can I ask a REALLY stupid question?

What is the purpose of this post, and where was it supposed to go. The OP was check it out, we must speak for those who have no voice.

Well ok. Now somewhere along the way the pot met the kettle and the black dog jumped over the moon while his owner was running behind him with his GPS hoping to scratch him behind his ears right on his GSPOT. Then the democrats moved on, some judge somewhere obviously does not know how to use the scores, and slc is right. OK at least in slc's mind. Elvis wore white after Labor Day and was abducted by aliens as a result. It's also been noticed that if we replace the word ROLLKUR with the world BILLYGOAT, then the post makes absolutely no sense at all.

I would say with the complete lack of intelligible information coming from either side, one poster definitely being much less intelligible than the rest, maybe you should all save and energy and just post in big letters, "I'M RIGHT AND YOUR WRONG", and be done with it.

The facts?

- Rollkur in the picture looks cruel.
                      - You can't judge a process by a picture.
                      - You also can't judge a process from a picture from an article that was written to make a point. (I am quite sure that if the writer wanted to show the benefits of rollkur, much better pictures would have been used.)
                      -People posting on this topic haven't ridden at this level or close, and certainly not this caliber horse.
                      -I suspect some of the strongest opinions on this topic haven't ridden their way out of training level and have never felt a horse honestly in front of the leg or through.
                      -Some posters are very big name droppers, even when they're incoherent.

In summation, I will say, SHARE THE MEDS AND SAVE THE WHALES AND LEAVE ROLLKUR TO THE PROFESSIONALS.

Thank you for your time.

Have a nice day!

Comment

• does anky should be shot and anky kills horses...qualify as 'name dropping'? or is it just named droppings?

Comment

• I would say that that would be consider a threat, as well as slander.

Glue sniffing anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by subk
                            Wow! How arrogant. You know this is a public BB and just because you spend a lot of time here it doesn't give you extra special rights to decide who ought to be here and what subject matters should be in the posts. The readership around here is much more fluid than your personal little cliques.

If you are tired of Rolkur posts then...Don't open them--even more effective: don't post on them. The nastiness of the pro-Rolkur crowd is enough to make me want to be against it. Personally I like passionate people--I may not agree with them but I have a certain respect for them.
                            Very well put subk! Maybe if some of the "democrats" stopped opening and posting on RK threads...it would die a natural death

Then again, maybe they enjoy trainwrecks

Comment

Working...
                            X