• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tying a horse for a long time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety while tying....and.....

One of the guidelines when tying a horse for long periods is to be completely sure on the length of the rope, that it is correct and has not only a 'quick release' feature, but also a 'giving' feature...either the rope itself has elastic quaility or the part where it is attatched to the wall is elastic...a poplular method, used where I board, is a quick realease type tie, fashioned to the indoor arena (SOLID) wall, I think a solid wall is essential...and the place where the tie is attatched to the wall...is attatched by by truck inner tube material, very elastic and encourages the horse not to pull. Also to be used is leather halter or a halter with a leather 'break away feature'. I might add that to get better effect of the tying lesson, the horse should be saddled, and the owner/trainer should either work another horse during this time, to watch the horse, or work in the barn...be around to keep an eye on the horse.

and.....off topic...it is good to teach your horse to STAND around, with you on him.....

I board at a cutting horse/team penning/working cow horse training facility. Sometimes when I ride, I am fortunate enough to have this place to expose my horse to many things...like cattle, we sometimes go down to ride, and there are twenty cattle in the indoor, and two to eight cowboys in there working them...I sit there on Shadrach in the arena and wait till they switch cattle and take a break. I have simply, 'sat' there on him for 20 minutes. Mentally, it is superb for them to learn that it is okay to relax, sleep, chill, watch what is going on...and not really have to work.
    Then I ride around. It is so good for him to just learn to stand there and have all this commotion going on around him. He is not afraid of the cattle or the other horses flying around chasing them...
    It is so annoying to me that dressage horses where supposed to be trained for useful, dependable mounts....and many dressage horses are neither useful or dependable outside of four walls.

IT has been invaluable to me boarding there, picking up on little things that make these working western horses such great partners, and yes, these cowboys 'dance' and work with their horses too..Many of these horses cost as much or more than our dressage horses, and these horse actually pay their way...many of the men/women I ride with have won trailers, saddles and lots of cold hard cash. These men know a ton, and are in no way 'beneath' what our dressage horses, or less valuable than dressage horses are...these guys simply expect MORE from their horses,

and FYI...the trainer at this barn....all of his working cow horses and reining horses could so do up to Third Level.
    ~*Ride Far*~Ride Well~*~ The Sky's the Limit~
    www.firstgiving.com/christinahyke

Comment

• Original Poster

Boy, you guys sure took an idea and ran with it here.

I don't just tie a young horse to an oak tree and walk away It is progressive thing in the "learning to tie" process. I start out with my youngsters by just looping a lead line over a rail in their stall and putting some pressure on it so they learn to step forward to relieve the pressure. This takes some time because it is a horse's natural tendancy to move into consistant pressure. But a horse that never learns this lesson has never truly learned to tie. Once they have this concept down I tie them to the tree through a looped innertube with a swiveling snap and wait. I keep a lunge whip handy. When they set back as they inevidibly will, I just tap them gently on the butt to remind them to step forward. Once they have this lesson down, I work on getting them to stand there for a longer and longer time, gradually working up to an hour or two over several weeks. I do stay there with the horse for whatever period of time it is there (and I like it fine ). At no time do I ever leave the horse alone. Oh I may retreat as far as 20 yards off or so. But I get up close and personal frequently to hand out a treat or a scratch if the horse is standing there quietly. Mostly I am in a lawn chair reading a book, listening to my ipod or doing the things I have learned to do to get through boring situations, just like I want my horse to do.

I never use a leather halter for this process because the one thing I don't want the horse to learn is that pulling back is successful. However I always have a sharp pocket knife in one pocket and pebbles in the another. If the horse fidgets, they get beaned with a pebble. If they stand quietly, they get a reward. They learn pretty quickly to just be. It takes a significant amount of time on my part but it is usually a good time for them. And they come through the process knowing that being tied for a while is no big deal, that they can just hang out and watch the world go by without stressing. It has nothing to do with brute force or broken spirit. I find it makes them confident, independent individuals.
      Last edited by nhwr; Jul. 9, 2006, 02:21 AM.
      See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Comment

sounds like an interesting place to board. I have not been so lucky.

I lost 2 horses at a place where 525 horses were boarded in a very small place with lots of other activities going on at the same time- a true zoo. Plus trainers of all sorts and level of competency and incompetency in all kinds of disciplines were crosstraining. It was a nightmare of a place.
        One gorgeous Andi cross overturned in the crossties when a loose dog stormed into his place out of nowhere...
        a very expensive imported Hanoverian repeatedly reared and hurt his sacrum in the cross ties- when being severely spooked by- loose horses galopping by, housewives pushing baby carts with screaming kids throwing balls in direct vicinity...it was impossible to keep control....I gave up- moved and put a whole new layer of precaution around my horses..it has served me well...to the point where they can be standing on a loose lead rope in front of their stalls while being tacked- and nothing makes them leave...they are peaceful and grounded...the environment is everything- you can not imagine a crowded -nervous and loud barn- and how a horse can be unsettled by that....
        "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

Comment

NHWR, True about the non leather to start out with, though that is only if you ARE right there with a knife...I have seen horses that have learned to break halters too, and it is worth the time and effort you have to schedule for it, and I think it is like trailer loading...and part of trailer training....it is something you should dedicate time to to make certain your horse knows and really understands, and "gets" the lesson. Sounds like you do a great job.

Comment

Sabine, It sounds like you boarded at a county fair!!!!!!!

Good to hear you got into a more peaceful surronding!!!!

Comment

I am sorry for your horses. Terrible way to get hurt and easy to ensure it never happens again. Dont attach your cross tie to the wall directly, attach them to a single loop made of a cotton shoe lace. It breaks to pressure.

Better, is to put to small loops of wool thread on each side of your halter and attach the x-tie there. Breaks immediately.

Though like you, I have two horses who ground tie perfectly so little need to attach them.

Comment

I think everyone here has different ideas of tying up. On one hand you have the people who tie up for hours and go away - that is unacceptable. Then you have the people who take the time and tie up their youngsters and groom them and leave them to stand while they are mucking out paddocks or stalls and generally being in touch with them so that they learn to stand happily. They build up the time slowly so that the horse is quite happy to stand anywhere and know that you are there to look after them. They are not expected to stand for hours without attention. I think we all agree that that is terrible. And I can't even imagine anyone tying up a horse with its head tied between its legs or to its side. That is not a horse person. That is cruelty. No doubt. When I go to a show, my horse will be tied to the float (to breakable twine just in case something out of the ordinary happens) for the day when she is not being ridden. BUT, she has a hay net, water, feed when needed, me popping back and forth or sitting nearby in a chair - whatever. I do think it's a good thing when a young horse is being handled to teach it to tie up and learn to relax and not fuss about. It's not about being tied up for hours on end. One of my friends got a mare a few years back who would not stand still when tied up (danced). In the end she tied her up and sat in her barn and watched and waited until she did stand. As soon as she stood still (and it took hours!) she instantly went to her, praised her and untied her and put her in her paddock. So she learned to stand quietly. She never has a problem now. She learned later that the farrier dreaded shoeing her as she wouldn't stand still. Wouldn't know it was the same horse now! So it's all about being sensible and I think learning to be tied up is just part of the education process. nhwr I think your training process is great. However, I don't live in a boarding situation with horses everywhere and my horse is never in cross ties. So I can't comment on that situation.

Comment

• Original Poster

Sabine, I am sorry about your horses. I knew about Milagro but not the 2nd one. It is precisely because of experiences at the place you used to board ( I used to board there too) that I started doing this with my youngsters. I agree that environment is everything. But you can't always control the environment. Even a quiet facility can have an unexpected mishap. You can't completely eliminate the risk when tying a horse. Having a horse that has some inner assurance that these experiences provide is some added insurance.

FWIW, I hate cross ties because I think they make it difficult for a horse to figure out where the pressure is really coming from. And the kind of setup at the place-that-shall-not-be-named, concrete and usually wet, are a recipe for disaster, IMO.
                  See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Comment

I don't believe that because dressage horses are athletes they can't be expected to stand still.

Barrel racing and cow roping horses are athletes. While many of these western horses have excellent training others are expected to enter the box and run like hell. They can rear, kick, buck, have tie downs and big bits to hold them, they are nuts in the competition arena (again not all).

If these crazy western horses (again not all) can act like loonatics in the arena and then stand tied to their trailer for a couple hours at a show, why can't a fancy dressage horse? After all, they're supposed to be highly trained animals that can half pass, pirouette, etc. Why can't they be well trained enough to stand still?
                    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

nhwr's OP sounds more like obedience training, or a tool to help the young horse understand not to drag whatever's at the other end of the rope (be it a tree or a person). More of a ground manners lesson, "this is a rope/leadline and we don't pull and drag against it."

Other exercises in tieing can be a bit different and wrong.

And I NEVER leave a horse alone in cross ties, or any ties, I don't care how dead quiet the horse is. Anything can happen, and it doesn't need to be the horse's fault when something goes wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by nhwr
                        FWIW, I hate cross ties because I think they make it difficult for a horse to figure out where the pressure is really coming from.
                        Ditto.

I have camped with horses tied to the trailer or to a high line, have worked competitive trail rides where horses are tied overnight (can and do lie down while tied) and organized probably 50 dressage shows where there was little or no stabling. Standing patiently tied to a suitable place should be part of every horse's education. Anyone who shows in any discipline in most of America better have a horse that can be securely (please, no twine) tied to the trailer or they are going to have a miserable day. A big shady old oak tree is a fine training device.

Cross-ties -- now those scare me. I have never willingly put a horse in cross-ties. If there is no safe tying spot available, I'd rather teach them to ground tie then use cross-ties.

Unrelated to anything ... I attended the British National Driving Championships years ago and was fascinated to learn there was NO stabling. Everyone had to bring their own overnight plan. As a show organizer who had to cope with fine facilities with little available stabling, I was fascinated by the concept. Many of the top UK driving horses were standing tied overnight.

Comment

cross ties are dangerous.

i never cross tie my horses any more. they are tied in their stalls for grooming and tacking. i've never had an accident with cross ties but i know plenty of other people who have.

my younger mare tied well at one time but recently starting pulling back, so there is a hole in the training there somewhere. i don't tie her in the stall; i simply halter her and loop the lead around a bar. and sometimes work on teaching her to stand still without being tied.

i used to take out the center partition in the trailer and let her travel loose. that worked well for her. she liked to turn around and face backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine
                            Sorry Christina- still friends!- but I don't agree...maybe I have been burned bad- I lost 2 horses to tying/cross tieing accidents..a total of 70K down the drain- I won't do it again - ever...Sorry!!!

suggest you try overhead tie line...if they fall it will sang with them it will allow them to turn around to see what's behind them but keeps them in one place

Comment

You can't have it both ways...the energized beautiful master beast that makes people go WOW what a nice horse with great gaits...and then next you know he is tied to the trailer- his engine shut off, while I munch down a hotdog and review my score...NOPE that's not MY reality!!!
                              Look, sorry to hear about your horses. Like someone else said it sounds like you were boarding at the county fair.
                              Nevertheless....the above statement makes me cringe because somehow this "beautiful master beast" sounds like an ill mannered, brainless, large monster (which might explain some other training techniques you support but that is a whole 'nother discussion - which I don't want to get into - no, no, no). By definition alone, I DO expect a dressage horse to have decent manners and a brain. Breed has absolutely nothing to do with it. Lack of proper training does.
                              Personally I'm on the other side of the fence when it comes to this. I'm sick and tired of hearing DQs complain about "stroller pushing housewives" and the likes because they are not able to train and/or control their horse outside of the show ring.

Comment

think everyone here has different ideas of tying up. On one hand you have the people who tie up for hours and go away - that is unacceptable. Then you have the people who take the time and tie up their youngsters and groom them and leave them to stand while they are mucking out paddocks or stalls and generally being in touch with them so that they learn to stand happily. They build up the time slowly so that the horse is quite happy to stand anywhere and know that you are there to look after them
                                EXACTLY!!!

Comment

Just my opinion - which is - if I EVER saw a trainer pulling this on MY horse - well, it wouldn't happen. Period. For several reasons.

(1) MOST IMPORTANTLY, for gut reasons alone, they need to move around. My horse does trailer tie, but he has HAY and water and it is never for that long a period of time.

(2) Vision etc is blocked by the trailer. Lots of going on at shows etc. Why have your horse possibly panic because something happens because they can't escape? Which is why I would never leave for horse unattended for any length of time. It's natural prey behavior.

(3) After the track, my horse will only pee in a stall, especially in a strange place. Why put him under that kind of stress? In addition, he's very fastidious - when we had a run stall, regardless of weather, he'd leave to poop rather than use his stall. Why have him in a situation where he has to stand in his own soil?

I am responsible for my horse, which means I should not be putting him a situation where there can be issues. Tieing thehorse to a tree for hours, in my opinion, would destroy that trust.

Could my horse stand for hours almost immobile? You betcha. At the last barn, they kept the stall guards up during the day for better air flow (the big tubing ones, wrapped chain type). The stall door was not closed that night as it should have been. My guy put his foot through the two guards. And he had the smarts and presence of mind to stand there until someone showed up the enxt morning. By the pile of poop behind him, it was obvious it had been a while.

But that was a mistake, and not repeated. To do that on purpose? I can't see the benefit. Only the possible disastrous outcomes.

And ditto this:
                                  think everyone here has different ideas of tying up. On one hand you have the people who tie up for hours and go away - that is unacceptable. Then you have the people who take the time and tie up their youngsters and groom them and leave them to stand while they are mucking out paddocks or stalls and generally being in touch with them so that they learn to stand happily. They build up the time slowly so that the horse is quite happy to stand anywhere and know that you are there to look after them
                                  www.specialhorses.org
                                  a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

well,

if they are tied properly they CAN move around. they should be able to move their hqs from side to side, and some horses need to be taught this, so their feet don't get "stuck" which can lead to a panic(especially in a trailer.)

when i was growing up all the school horses were in tie stalls. they had hay and water and enough room to lay down, but nontheless were tied all night and much of the day.

not just the grades and quarter horses, but the ottbs and warmbloods, too.

it's not how i would choose to keep a horse, but it is definitely do-able.

i, too, do not understand why fancy warmbloods do not need to have good manners. my old trainer's grand prix horse used to snatch the lead rope out of her hands to try to grab a mouthful of grass. what the hell is that?

and i had a jumper trainer who rode a big oldenburg stallion, who had to be held so he could even get on him. another big wb gelding was a bully to his handlers. at one show, i was grooming for this trainer along with another gal who did hunters, but also western pleasure and showmanship. she got stuck holding the bully for a long period of time one day, and put him to work learning showmanship. LOL!

he behaved, at least for her, after that. and it didn't affect his jumping ability one bit!

Comment

Originally posted by bjrudq
                                      if they are tied properly they CAN move around. they should be able to move their hqs from side to side, and some horses need to be taught this, so their feet don't get "stuck" which can lead to a panic(especially in a trailer.)

when i was growing up all the school horses were in tie stalls. they had hay and water and enough room to lay down, but nontheless were tied all night and much of the day.

not just the grades and quarter horses, but the ottbs and warmbloods, too.

it's not how i would choose to keep a horse, but it is definitely do-able.
                                      seems like a recipe for promoting degenerative osteoarthritis...just my opinion.
                                      www.specialhorses.org
                                      a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

if a horse is tied to a trailer properly they can turn ... but not all trailers are safe to tie to

Comment

"i've never had an accident with cross ties but i know plenty of other people who have."

We have the quick release cross ties, I use 'em but I don't trust 'em: they are not hooked directly to the wall. They're attached by baling twine to the wall ring with a pair of scissors hanging on the same wall ring. Just incase the quick release isn't quick enough I can instantly cut through the twine.

There are some horriffic freak accidents that can happen, none to do with how dead quiet a horse is or how happily he has been taught to stand. I simply don't ever leave a tied horse alone.

Comment

Working...
                                          X