• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

11 videos of rollkur (new vids added/new riders)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously, Would Someone Explain?

I watched the video(s) OK. Blank Slate
    I am sincerely trying to understand. Would anyone like to explain to this poor ex-H/J princess

video #5
    1.) This is a video of RK being done by "educated" hands or an example of "Good RK"?

2.) Exactly what is the rider trying to achieve in this warm-up?
    To my (uneducated) eye the horse seems to be unbalanced thru the corners...sort of leaning in? Is that because of the extreme btv positioning? Or is that being done for some purpose?

Also, much of the canter work seems to be unbalanced???

I am sincerely trying to understand...so could someone help me out here?

Perhaps I am just looking at it from a Hunter perspective and this IS correct dressage work?

Thanks!

Comment

I remember several comments along the nature of: "rollkur can't be judged based on photographs because pictures capture but a moment of time.".

Huh. The giant sucking noise I hear is that argument being flushed down the toliet. Rollkur looks just as horrific on video, especially when 5 straight minutes of video go by where the horse is not once released from the position of rollkur.

Comment

I'll ask again...

I sound like a broken record. You of the Rollkur camp think those videos are pretty?? Is that what Dressage is all about??
        I sent them to my S judge trainer and she was sickened. She again has said, the Judges are partially to blame, They know whats going on they are rewarding the results.

Comment

Rollkur is disgusting and I would never let someone who trains that way ANYWHERE near my horses! I also wouldn't let anyone who DEFENDS these un-riders near my horses. It's not that I'm picky or overprotective. It's that the type of person who sees ANYTHING positive in rollkur is a MENACE.

Comment

Yoda Excellent point..

Originally posted by ideayoda
            So, the person who filmed warmups at Aachen 25 years ago had a vendetta against Uphoff???? Gimme a break! Its documentation of WHAT IS BEING DONE, repeatedly. It was in the background with five horses when Anky did her interview about the death of the jr yg rider horse on dutch tv (her choice of backgrounds), it is done by the (then) 12 yr old son (an expert I presume too) for another interview, and it is done for hours in warm ups. IF they are pround of being able to use the method, then why not show it to the world? Whats the problem, except that SJ wants to make $$ off her image. The only time the horse is released is when the horse stays down, otherwise its spurred down again. A finished gp horse should work on the hint of aids, great applications shouldnt be necessary. What is most interesting for me, is the body postures of those watching which were/are the same 25 years ago watching Uphoff at Aachen or today....crossed arms and partially turned bodies and looking down alot. Sorta says how many disagree without saying it.
            I just went back and watched the 5th Video again, and your right about the folks standing around. Almost ashamed, or stunned surprise..
            And someone one said that the other horses were doing it. no not all. There a bright chestnut in there that is doing lovely work NON Rollkur!

Comment

Well it doesn't look like abuse to me. I would only know it is abusive unless somebody told me huh oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by claire
                I watched the video(s) OK. Blank Slate
                I am sincerely trying to understand. Would anyone like to explain to this poor ex-H/J princess

video #5
                1.) This is a video of RK being done by "educated" hands or an example of "Good RK"?

2.) Exactly what is the rider trying to achieve in this warm-up?
                To my (uneducated) eye the horse seems to be unbalanced thru the corners...sort of leaning in? Is that because of the extreme btv positioning? Or is that being done for some purpose?

Also, much of the canter work seems to be unbalanced???

I am sincerely trying to understand...so could someone help me out here?

Perhaps I am just looking at it from a Hunter perspective and this IS correct dressage work?

Thanks!
                HECK no, this is NOT correct dressage work. The horse does appear quite unbalanced. However, I am not going to take part in the Zwangsjacke debate, largely because I have had no experience with it myself, and thus am not qualified to debate pros/cons/results et cetera.

I will say this: no horse of mine, or any horse ever in training with me, will be subjected to this. I find it sickening.

(edited for typo)
                http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

Comment

Okay, after watching it twice, prepared to be horrified...

I'm feeling confused. Am I the only one who was less offended by the video than by the still pictures?

I know it's not how it's supposed to be, and would rather that horse be doing all that with his nose not BTV and his poll highest point, based on all I've read & felt & been taught.

But... (disclaimer I'm only a Prelim eventer who at best has done 1st level well, schooling 2nd) ... but well the horse just didn't look in that much distress, or discomfort, as I'd thought might be possible from the still pics! I was prepared to see massive distress and whatever he was being asked to do there, he just doesn't seem that concerned about it....
                  He might be reaching more under from behind, and steadier in his gaits & transitions, but this was a warmup and, well... he just didn't seem much that concerned about her dictation of where his head should be.... at least not to me.

Is it just that he's used to it and accepts it as a way of things? I'd like to see a younger horse, maybe, being subject to this - do they start rollkur right off or let them go genuine long & low at first?

Struggling, as I had thought rollkur a horrid idea, but that video just showed a bunch of dressage horses warming up who knew what was going on and knew what was coming, to me ---- not a bunch of abused horses, like I feel when I view "big lick" stuff or uneducated riders...

Help! (nother disclaimer, I'm new to this whole debate, been too busy galloping & jumping etc, LoL - so please don't flame me, no hardliner here, just suprised at my reaction to this video)

Help me understand where I stand on this!

Thx,
                  Arcadien

Comment

Ideayoda excellent pointabout the onlookers, " dessage makesthe horses more beautiful "" can dfinitely NOT be said about these poor horses these o . I found it interesting that when after f she puts her hand forward to pat him on the h neck,the horse never even seeks to lengthen his neck. you suppose thatthese horses can even do that? THe one big bayhorse is so uneven behind in medium trot that what that gait is supposed tobe? He should be considerd bporderline lame", and examined by the show vet.His movement is similarto horse s withstringhalt.
                    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

I'ts not just ugly, it totally gross and sad!
                      Can we say control issues?
                      "The well being of a horse should never be compromised for the ego of a human" dlg 06

http://qualitytack4sale.webs.com/

Comment

Hey I'm sure I'm about to lose all my fans ;-) BUT what's the big deal. After all the hysteria here and on the other thread I was expecting to see Anky cutting off a horses head and feeding it to the dogs. Icentos is very deep for about a minute then she lets him out long and low and deep to walk, and we know by the agenda of the web site host that this is the very worst evidence she could find - so if that's the worst Icentos was exposed to I have no problem with it. Its doesn't look pretty BUT sometimes schooling aint pretty and the horse is being suppled and being asked to come between the hand and the leg and he is responding. Then they walk. Then the video stops.

As for the Krack C footage, I think he is giving her a hell of a lot of hind leg, is deep not rk'd and looks extremeley expressive and mostly relaxed for a horse being asked to give some pretty impressive gp movements - this is all good yes??? - he is giving her more activity behind then ay of the other horses in the arena. His irregualrity in the paces is because she is schooling and asking for him to come off the leg - fine tuning him, he looks the same as Idool in the saddletude clip, I never had a problem with that either.

Now I would never choose to put a horse as deep as Icentos myself, even if I could I don't think because I'd lose the back end for sure, but Anky knows what she is doing and she was not losing the back end, the horse was deep for a minute or two - I can't see the crime punishable by death that all you are seeing.

Comment

I'm not a dressage rider so maybe that is why the video looked fine to me. Couldn't find any abuse in it???? Again though I don't compete dressage.

Comment

Who cares if it is abuse? It's a moot point. What is certain is that the video displays TERRIBLE horsemanship from a true know-nothing. If you approve of that kind of "riding," please let me know so I can put you on my blacklist!

Comment

Aptor Hours, it is debatable whether it is abuse or not.

What it *is* is *very* incorrect. If I saw any one of my students with their horse's head behind the vertical, bending them with no release, no stretch, and kicking them from behind, I'd yank them off their horse so fast their head would spin.

I did see the lovely chestnut who appeared to be doing correct work off of a soft rein. There were two(?) other bays who were both in rk though. And my point to that was simply - it's not a vendetta against anky. Who gives a rats patootie who it is that is riding like this - it's just incorrect at the least, and abusive at worst.
                              Meet Wendall the wonder horse
                              and introducing Machado! http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28186...SDi?vhost=pets

Comment

Originally posted by OakesBrae
                                Aptor Hours, it is debatable whether it is abuse or not.

What it *is* is *very* incorrect.
                                Doesn't matter this is warm up/schooling. She rides 'correctly' in the test and marked very highly for it. Cross training is a legitimate aspect of sports training.

Comment

Um - okay - so is it okay for me to pole my jumper in the warmup ring as long as I ride "correctly' in competition?

Does that make sense? I don't think so - and neither does the USEF.
                                  Meet Wendall the wonder horse
                                  and introducing Machado! http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28186...SDi?vhost=pets

Comment

Originally posted by nero
                                    Doesn't matter this is warm up/schooling. She rides 'correctly' in the test and marked very highly for it. Cross training is a legitimate aspect of sports training.
                                    Uh - that isn't cross training.
                                    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                    -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by nero
                                      What difference does it make that this is schooling? I guess if you only care about ribbons, what goes on outside of the show ring doesn't matter. But you're not one of those people, are you?

And I don't see how you can call this cross training. If you want real cross-training, why don't we see her hack her horses (WITHOUT draw reins), jump them, teach them to drive, do western, etc. This rollkur crap is more like un-training than anything...

Comment

I had a long l-o-n-g post going.... summed up --

gross

When a creature doesn't know life can be different, it's easy to persuade him that what they have is the way it should be.

My uneducated eye saw the rider very tense in the shoulder and 'pulling' -- my computer is sloooow too so we saw it in 2sec intervals-- horse swishing their tails yet being obedient.

I can't wait to see Rollkur added to 2nd level movements because it's a 'training' aid -- just like we use the 'stretchy circle' in the trot to show the horse seeking contact. Rollkur is just riding in draw reins without the draw reins, all the time... every ride. It's not training, it's a gadget.

It won't be long until this trickles down to first and training level because "oh,*insert name here* does Rollkur blah blah blah, i'm only doing training but RK will make me win. " To nip this in the bud, any horse going EVEN SLIGHTLY behind the vertical should become a 5point deduction from that specific movement in a show. Maybe that would be incentive not to school BTV, no matter how you sugar coat it, that's all RK is.
                                        Carol and Princess Dewi

**~Doccer'sDressage~**

Comment

Originally posted by OakesBrae
                                          Um - okay - so is it okay for me to pole my jumper in the warmup ring as long as I ride "correctly' in competition?

Does that make sense? I don't think so - and neither does the USEF.
                                          Well poling is seen as cruel, the jury is still out on whether rk is. THAT's the diff.

Comment

Working...
                                          X