• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How can people train horses this way? It is abusive.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I did read the study, and the "problem" fences that were cited do tend to be the fences at which most accidents occur. I am not denying the dangers of eventing, and yes, some accidents do occur because of recklessness or pushing the horse beyond his or her limits, but I still believe that some crashes are simply due to inopportune medical crises. For example, earlier this year, a horse died at an Advanced level event. I am sorry to say that I cannot remember at the moment who the horse was or who was riding, but I do recall that the horse had either a heart attack or an aneurysm immediately before a fence and crashed into it quite hard. If I remember correctly, the examining vet did not believe that it was due to overexertion.

As for aneurysms and heart attacks: do they always occur because of overexertion? NO. Quite a few heart attacks occur while a person is standing around in their living room. While I have not personally done any research to support my opinion, my opinion is based on what I have observed throughout my life.

I also believe that more equine injuries take place in the field than while a horse is in work. Take a look around the bulletin board: it is likely that more people are asking for jingles for a pasture-injured horse than a horse that was injured during work. For example, when I was younger, my mother's mare dropped dead of a brain aneurysm in the field. Recently, my sister's mare tore a collateral ligament while turned out. A horse can easily take a misstep and do quite a bit of damage, or be kicked, or even just be a victim of a freak accident. A fairly well-known stallion recently ran into a tree and died while turned out.

It would be interesting to have a trauma vet weigh in on this discussion.
    http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

Comment

• but

"I also believe that more equine injuries take place in the field than while a horse is in work."

many horses spend MUCH MORE time in a field. you need to adjust and compare the time spent on a x-country course to time spent in a field in order to make any kind of meaningful statistical comparison.

plus, many MORE horses spend time in fields as compared to the number of horses who event. you would need to adjust for that, too.

turn out injures can have many variables-is the pasture safe? is the herd well integrated? do the horses have adequate food, shelter, water?

we all know of horses who have sustained mysterious injuries during turnout for which there seems to be no explanation. but there are also horses turned out in unsafe pastures, with unfamiliar companions, etc.

you really can't compare sports injuries to turnout injuries, except to say that sometimes the careless get lucky and sometimes the careful get hurt anyway.

and you really can't compare rollkur to eventing injuries or being turned out, becasue rollkur is intentional.

Comment

• Personally, I am NOT comparing ANYTHING to rollkur. I think that the eventing injuries v. Zwangsjacke comparison is absolutely absurd, as zwangsjacke is intentional, while accidents are not (as you and many others have said).

And yes, your point of comparing the time spent working to that spent in turnout is an excellent one. I wasn't really trying to compare injuries while riding to those in turnout (although yes, it did sound like that, but it was not my intent) - I was simply trying to point out that eventing does NOT kill as many horses as some people believe it does. On the other hand, more horses DO get injured in turnout. Because we don't ride our horses twelve hours a day, perhaps it is more of a lower risk/longer exposure vs. higher risk/shorter exposure kind of thing.

I'm rambling...just sort of thinking out loud, I suppose.

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kathy Johnson
          "And as far as horses being killed on x-c, it happens maybe once every couple years throughout the world. " - ???????? I don't think we want to go there.

http://www.useventing.com/competitions.php?id=227

See the link above

I'm aware of those, thanks. Those are 2 of the 3 I said happened this year. And one of those was reported to be that the horse died before he took off for the jump, hence the fall. Probably heart attack or ruptured aorta. And I really don't think you can blame a congenital health problem on x-c. It was probably going to happen anyway.

My point is that while eventing is slightly dangerous, if you look at the total number of horses and riders competing to the number of deaths or serious injuries, it's really not much more dangerous than any other sport we do with horses.

To the person who said that horses get injured more in the pasture because they spend more time in the pasture, SO many more horses get injured, and killed (or put down) from pasture injuries, that proportionally they are still comparable. Like many thousands a day around the world as compared to the average of one a year.

And to the poster who said that horses don't die of heart attacks or aneurysms while doing dressage, that's absolutely not true. I personally have known 2 horses that died of an aneurysm while riders were doing dressage/ flatwork.
          http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Here are 2 more

lstevenson says
            And as far as horses being killed on x-c, it happens maybe once every couple years throughout the world.
            http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/compe...391/63427.html

So, it looks like more than one horse every couple of years.

The point some posters make about the number of horses in pasture is an excellent one. There are literally millions of horses in pasture.There are not so many eventing horses. To make a valid comparison, you'd have to compare percentages (incidence per hundred horses). I couldn't find any data on that. But the same statement could probably be made about car accidents.

But with regard to humans, I found this http://depts.washington.edu/hiprc/pr...questrian.html
            Their study conducted from 1992 to 1997 occurred over 54 days of cross country (prenovice to advanced) and included 16,940 riders. There were 193 injuries and 2 fatalities. They found the injury rate to be 1.1%. Another study (Whitlock MR. Injuries to riders in cross country phase of eventing: the importance of protective equipment. Br J Sport Med, 1999; 33 (3): 212-214.) found the injury rate to be as high as 4.3%. One of the conclusions of the first study,"Eventing is one of the most dangerous equestrian activities."

Here is an interesting article too.

http://www.collegian.com/media/stora....collegian.com

I found it kind of disturbing that a horse with a fractured splint (though treated) would be returned to competition.

A telling statement "McIlwraith says competitive "eventing" is under considerable fire right now because of the large number of human and equine fatalities." (emphasis is mine)

To me this means that equine fatalities are a recognized and accepted fact in the sport.
            See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwr
              To me this means that equine fatalities are a recognized and accepted fact in the sport.
              Injuries and fatalities can occur in any sport. At least we recognize that they occur and constantly work to make it safer, unlike some.

Comment

• Any numbers on horses that die of colic per year? That's abuse.

What is your point to this thread nhwr, what (if any) point are you trying to make? A while back I mentioned topics on EVENTING might better be answered on the Eventing Forum. A while back I mentioned Denny Emerson, who visits from time to time there, may have a few really good answers for you.

What is your point to this thread nhwr?

Comment

• I personally am more concerned at the number of obviously unfit horses one sees competing at Pony Club events (Note Pony Club run the majority of unafilliated eventing here in NZ).

Many years ago the owner of the yard I kept my horse at lost her only child in a Cross Country competition, the pony fell and crushed her. The teenager had already competed in an earlier cross country class on the pony and the pony was tired, made a mistake and flipped.

ACC runs the accident prevention in NZ and a report from them noted that more riders were injured or killed when in walk, as they tend to reduce their level of concentration. One pupil of mine was with her mother walking around the paddock, her mothers horse tripped and fell crushing her. The same child later broke her leg when her and a friend were enjoying an icecream walking back from Pony Club - a duck flew up out of the water-race.

Every year people are killed in cars either as a result of their careless driving or as the result of some other idiot on the road. Yet we still drive.

In general we only here of deaths of competition horses and riders. It happens everywhere in all walks of life. I remember the day we found Emma a horse dead in her box, she certainly didn't have a strenuous life and she was only 8yrs old.

If people wormed their horses properly from day one then many aneurisms would not occur, red worm being the leading cause of horse aneurism.

I personally take great care that my horses are kept well, are fit for the work they are to do and are looked after when injury happens. Generally from larking about in the paddock!

Comment

• ?

what is red worm, and how is it prevented?

Comment

• Small & Large Strongyles - known as red worm as they spend most of their time in the blood stream.

Worm with any of the 'Mectin' based wormers. Such as Ivermectin, Abermectin or the one that begins with an 'M'.

Comment

• "I found it kind of disturbing that a horse with a fractured splint (though treated) would be returned to competition."

Yeah, and do you know how many racehorses return to racing after bowed tendons, fractures, and other injuries that are much worse. Why aren't you placing them under fire?

"To me this means that equine fatalities are a recognized and accepted fact in the sport."

Honestly, I don't see your point other than to bash eventing. As I stated before, ALL riding sports carries risks with it...racing, eventing, dressage, reining, etc etc. To point one out specifically and say "how can people train this way" is obsurd. People aren't "training their horses" to have them fall on them in x-country, they are accidents. As others have said, horses can get killed running in their own paddocks. Heck, my horse has been laid up for 5 months b/c he was running around like an idiot outside, not because of riding.

I won't even touch the topic of Rollkur, which IS a training method. Now that's something I would say "How can people train horses this way? It's abusive".
                        <3 Vinnie <3
                        1992-2010
                        Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Comment

• Originally posted by Tnavas
                          Worm with any of the 'Mectin' based wormers. Such as Ivermectin, Abermectin or the one that begins with an 'M'.
                          That would be moxydectin. You have to be more careful with moxydectin than with ivermectin, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwr
                            They found the injury rate to be 1.1%.

Well that's a pretty low number. Whew, makes me feel even better about my crazy, dangerous sport.

Comment

• That's one out of 100

Comment

• And that percentage would be higher for pasture injuries, no doubt. And that's a very objective way of comparing the two.

Comment

• Original Poster

lstevenson, I can see that you aren't really used to analysis, so let me explain it to you.
                                  They found the rate of injury to be 1.1% in their study. They make no representation of what the injury rate is globally. As HXF rightly points out that is one in a hundred (slightly more actually). This study references another study that finds the rate to be 4.3%. That is more than 1 in 25. And they do represent eventing to be one of the most dangerous equestrian activities, despite what you have to say about it.

To make valid comparison between eventing and pasture injuries (which people are not usually involved in) you have to consider the amount of time spent in each activity as well.
                                  See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Comment

• If I had an injury every hundred times I turned my horse out to pasture...

Comment

• so one in every 100 horses dies on XC???

so... every time i go to the KHP and there are 400+ competitors, 4 of them should die? Funny, I've been to many many events over the past 8 years, and have only heard of one where a horse died (at a 4*)... This includes all levels, BN-A...

I find that statistic hard to believe, or maybe in area 8 we are just safer? lol.
                                      "Do you care, or don’t you care? Because if you do care, you better speak up now or take what you get."
                                      — Denny Emerson www.savethe3day.org
                                      **proud member of the trakehNERD group**

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdreamer
                                        so one in every 100 horses dies on XC???
                                        I believe that was an injury rate, not a mortality rate.

Comment

• ok, my bad.
                                          i also noticed, after rereading, that is for RIDER injuries, not horses.
                                          "Do you care, or don’t you care? Because if you do care, you better speak up now or take what you get."
                                          — Denny Emerson www.savethe3day.org
                                          **proud member of the trakehNERD group**

Comment

Working...
                                          X