• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Conformation - What do you think of this horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Wow, thanks slc for that evaluation! I appreciate it. Having been riding for 26 years, I have trained two youngsters and then my older STB when she was 15, evented through Novice and shown First level. I feel pretty confident in my abilities and I also have a great instructor. But you are correct to be cautionary since you don't know me.

You are right dbadaro. I needed to hear your story! I have been involved with STBs for many years. Sorry to hear about your horse.

The worst part in this is that the filly is in NJ and I am in Maine. I have two friends in NJ who are evaluating her for me.....including the one who is holding her/is her groom. So, this is so much more risky!!!!!

They are offering her to me because she would not stop cantering (breaking) on the track during training. She just is not fast enough as well. If they can't make the 3 year old stakes, most trainers rather get rid of them. In NJ they don't really look to race in cheap races or claimers. They want stakes caliber horses. Many many many expensive horses get retired at this age down there. And simply given away. My friend's horse was bought as a yearling for $50,000 and given away as a 3 year old!!!
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    View my blog: http://standardbredexcellence.blogspot.com/

Comment

That is one of the most picturesque barns I have ever seen. If the filly moves out, can I move in?

She looked sound on the pavement, which is always a great sign. See how the canter looks. If there's a lot of disuniting in the canter, I might pass. If the canter is balanced, I would take her.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by narcisco View Post
        That is one of the most picturesque barns I have ever seen. If the filly moves out, can I move in?
        LOL! It is a great place, huh? It is Showplace Farms in NJ, one of the top stables in the state. It is a multi-million dollar facility. The horses are treated better than most humans!

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamspark View Post
          Wow, thanks slc for that evaluation! I appreciate it. Having been riding for 26 years, I have trained two youngsters and then my older STB when she was 15, evented through Novice and shown First level. I feel pretty confident in my abilities and I also have a great instructor. But you are correct to be cautionary since you don't know me.

You are right dbadaro. I needed to hear your story! I have been involved with STBs for many years. Sorry to hear about your horse.

The worst part in this is that the filly is in NJ and I am in Maine. I have two friends in NJ who are evaluating her for me.....including the one who is holding her/is her groom. So, this is so much more risky!!!!!

They are offering her to me because she would not stop cantering (breaking) on the track during training. She just is not fast enough as well. If they can't make the 3 year old stakes, most trainers rather get rid of them. In NJ they don't really look to race in cheap races or claimers. They want stakes caliber horses. Many many many expensive horses get retired at this age down there. And simply given away. My friend's horse was bought as a yearling for $50,000 and given away as a 3 year old!!!
          i would take another standardbred in a heartbeat! i've been crying for three weeks now since i have been consulting with my vets. it's heartbreaking knowing that even though he went through a very well known standardbred rescue in ohio, he was adopted out and noone has mentioned his injuries. i don't regret buyiing him one bit, but i do regret the fact that i have worked him with no signs of injury until he bucked me off a few weeks ago. i then knew something was not right.

i love meeting/talking to other standardbred owners! please feel free to pm me anytime!
          be kind to your horses mouth!

Comment

• Original Poster

PM sent dbadaro!

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamspark View Post
              Thanks everyone! The dip in her withers is from the fact that she has always been worked with an overcheck....being a STB. That will go away with proper training, as it did on my own mare. Legs are clean, flexions are normal. Vet said her knees are still open.

The free thing is unimportant to me. That is simply because she is being offered to me since the owners know me, so it is not like I am looking for a free horse. Actually not looking for a horse at all! I completely understand the STB's limitations. My aspirations are truly First Level, with any horse, seeing as I am an AA and I just love puttering around. I don't think I have the time or commitment to go higher than that. I show for the fun of it. LOL!

Well, I am going to sleep on it. Any other comments, please add them!
              I think you have a nice little mare there. She is not perfect, but I think you will be surprised. I've always maintained the horse is limited by the rider, and I think this mare will take you as far as you are capable of going if you have knowledgeble instruction.

I take most conformation "rules" I learned with a grain of salt as well -- dealing with a breed that defies most of the rules by being able to do things they are not suppose to do -- I will watch the horse move and then decide.

My Net connection is not very fast, so I couldn't really watch the vid, but the rhythm of her trot sounded just fine.

She is young, with clean flexions and clean legs....if her MIND is good and she's a trier, I'm thinking you guy will do just fine.

Comment

I haven't read all the replies, but:

1) I surely would not judge her movement from the video of her trotting in hand. An obedient horse will adjust their speed (and thus, stride) to the handler. The handler was taking itty-bitty steps, thus did the horse. Nice to see that kind of obedience.. and shortening her stride to adapt the the handler. That's a big plus right there in my book.

2) She's only 3 so she could change alot. My 2 cents worth...
                a) straight shoulder is seldom a problem if a horse has a very free very free elbow (and it is quite straight).
                b) appearing straight behind is also not always a fault unless it affects movement. Often the hip/loin connection compensates for this with no long term use/wear and tear.
                3) croup high right now? Quite normal for a 3 yr old. Just look at her head -- it's too big for her body and her body will/should grow into it. A nice neck set can sometimes compensate for a croup that's a titch to "high" at maturity.
                4) she looks a bit "light" behind, but again many 3 yr olds do. I like her neck set, but would like to see more length...but until the horse is mature the neck can be a telescope (long and short during growth) and make you crazy trying to determine the eventual length.
                5) I see nothing wrong with joint fluid/tendons, though there are not closeups.

I think this horse would be better assessed working freely in an arena to see her true way of going unencumbered by a human trying to show her in hand who has no training doing so. Turn her over to Bruce Griffin or Bob Orton in hand and you'd get a really good picture of the this horse's capability regarding "form and function".

There is nothing I see in this horse for low/mid level dressage that would scare me away at this age of assessment.
                www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

Yes this mare is straight in the shoulder, but she also has a very high point of shoulder which i like, and has a steeply angled humerus (bone from the point of shoulder to the elbow), which goes some way to compensate for the straight shoulder
                  OFten good jumpers have this steeply angles humerus and high point of shoulder.
                  She also has very low stifles, both these points indicate that she could be quite alright over the jumps

I actually think her wither is higher than her croup, even though she is a bit long over the loin, but then i dont mind that in mares.
                  Even though her hindquarter is not an ideal shape, her lumbo sacral joint is correctly positioned over the hip bones, so her back is probably alot stronger than it looks

She might be worth a go for jumping,and low level dressage work, but as has been said here, probably not a world beater
                  She does have a lovely neck and expression, and a wither that goes some way down her back so you wont be sitting too far over the shoulder
                  Good luck

Paulamc

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by sid View Post
                    I think this horse would be better assessed working freely in an arena to see her true way of going unencumbered by a human trying to show her in hand who has no training doing so.
                    Definitely my next step! Thanks! And funny thing.....her groom (my friend Rob) shows his STB in-hand.....but they are western so he is used to doing the "tiny little jog" thing.

Comment

Weak loin.
                      ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Free.

Comment

I absolutely adore her but I am partial to Standardbreds! I also see a 3 year old that is still growing. She reminds me of my 4 year old that I just drover to NJ to pick up last month.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27200...MUn?vhost=pets

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25877...VEO?vhost=pets

The pictures don't do him justice as I had someone who has no idea about taking confirmation pictures taking them. He was a $45,000 yearling and was given to me last month. I don't think he had ever raced but I don't know that for sure. I am curious about her breeding? My guy will not set the world on fire but he will make a nice low/intermediate level eventer and foxhunter. I found out be accident that he is really wonderful with his knees when he jumps (ditch that had a little of water in the bottom was going to eat him). I say take her. If you won't let me know I will make another northern treck and pick her up. I know where Showplace is.
                          Sophie 11 yo Iberian Warmblood mare
                          Seadog Man 11 yo STB gelding
                          Our New Jet 7 yo STB Gelding

Comment

• Original Poster

Here is her info at Pathways:

http://pathway.ustrotting.com/search...orse_id=913425 She is a Revenue S baby and is a trotter.

I do think I will take her. Just have to arrange shipping!

Middy - Love the clique! Standardbreds with Saddles! And your boy is very nice looking!

Comment

• Original Poster

So, now Revenue Stream needs a nickname. They call her Big Mare. Not gonna work with me. Ideas??

A few more photos:

(First time being ridden....)

Comment

What a lovely girl! Gorgeous color, too

If she was a gelding I'd suggest "cash." How about River?

Comment

You rode a horse for the first time ever on pavement? You are crazy!

But that being said, I think she is cute, and probably will do just fine at the lower levels. You may be surprised by what she can do. Good for you for taking her home!

Comment

"You rode a horse first time on pavement"

At some barns, they always sit on horses the first time on pavement, though usually in a barn aisle, not in the open. They say the horses won't act up. No I'm not advocating it.

But this horse doesn't look like she reacted or got upset at all. What a nice temperament.

Middy's horse has a fantastic back end, just super, huge hind quarter.

Name for the mare?

Gratuity (she was free). Stable name Grace.

Look No Further. Barn name, Lucy.

Comment

slc2 - Thanks! Everyone still tells me he looks more like a quarter cross than a STB ! But in my area STB's as riding horses are looked down upon. I took mine site unseen (well actually I saw some very dark pictures of him standing in a isleway in crossties and just fell for the face. I didn't figure I would keep them but I do a pretty good job of rehoming mine into pleasure homes. This guy is a ATHLETE so he might stay but he is all baby and all boy.

Dreamspark - My TB mare's barn name is Big Mare. It is really a joke because she is only 15.1 (there is definately a story there). I like big mare as a barn name. You will be planning on showing her under her registered name right?

I hope she works out for you and I just love your other mare.
                                      Sophie 11 yo Iberian Warmblood mare
                                      Seadog Man 11 yo STB gelding
                                      Our New Jet 7 yo STB Gelding

Comment

I'm new to the world of dressage, but not to standardbreds by a long shot. When I was considering going down the big D path with my TB mare, I took comfort that even if she wasn't a perfect candidate, I'd been told often enough that every horse could benefit from the fundamentals of dressage and most should be able to learn the basic movements. This mare is certainly not grotesquely proportioned nor does she move like a sledgehammer on cement. Far from either, she has fluidity and grace, an extremely cute and plesant head, and her body parts look like they belong to the same horse. I think you'll have fun with her. And at three she's nearly a clean slate with a lifetime of possibility ahead of her. I too have the old broodmare STB turned trail/everything horse (started mine under saddle at 17 after her long racing career and baby factory days). She's in my profile. Just having a fresh mind that's eager to please is a huge bonus in whatever direction you hope to take a horse. Good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by wbhorseusa View Post
                                          You rode a horse for the first time ever on pavement? You are crazy!
                                          LOL! That was not me, but a friend of mine. The filly is in NJ and I am in ME. And remember, she is a STB....the most sane breed I have ever worked with. LOL!

I will show her with her registered name "Revenue Stream". Love the nicknames, keep them coming! Ultimately I better wait until I meet her to decide.

Comment

Working...
                                          X