• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Manufactures Identifying stolen saddle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manufactures Identifying stolen saddle

I just has a friend who might loose quite a bit of money on a saddle she bought on e-bay. The seller was quite forthcomming with the serial number of the saddle and had great feed back. The saddle traded by my friend for a different model to another buyer The Ebay saddle and was just recently was sent back to Schleese for refitting by the new owner and it was found to be stolen. My question is this. Could we as a group of consumers petition these major saddle makers of lovely expensive saddles to create a page on their websites to list the serial numbers of stolen saddles reported to them? I think this would be a win/win situation for everyone. Saddle company gets kudos from it's customers knowing that serial numbers for stolen saddles are listed in a public area so that
    #1 makes selling stoen high end saddles more difficult as prosective buyers are savey about requesting serial numbers as to saddles age, tree type etc and would make them more diffucult to sell if stolen numbers are listed

#2 buyers are aware that the saddle companies are making an effort to track and look for thier stolen saddles. Makes buying one for big bucks another selling point. I know that Reactor Panel saddles actually have a micro chip in them that can be scanned.

#3 private buyers can check the websites when buying from private sellers to make sure that they are not buying a stolen good. Lets be realistic here. What the saddle company states as fair market value and what the used market actually is and will support are about $1000.00 different IMHO>. What the saddle makers loose in reselling used saddles they make up for when the new buyer comes back for a re-fitting or for a new saddle down the road. If you have a quality product your customers will come back.

#4 There are many millions of eyes on the internet now. More eyes means more likely hood of finding stolen saddles quickly and makes stealing them really not worth the risk of getting caught especially with the speed the internet works. Even people who will fence them will not be able to re-sell as readily.

I really hope some of the High End saddle companies who monitor this forum will read this and implement some type of plan. If we all work together we can avoid heartbreack and financial problems for individuals in the future. And makes for a safer market place for the horse comsumer out there

The more people who chime in and agree or have a modification of this ideas the better.

Thanks for your time!

Would love to hear about any other ideas or thoughts other people have on this topic.

Excellent idea

Schleese must have some source of information already - since they were aware that the saddle had been stolen. Seems like it would be a short step to list the serial numbers of stolen saddles online somewhere.

Equibrit - I have a Bates dressage saddle - would you suggest that I notify Bates in Australia if it were stolen?

Comment

I think that is a brilliant idea, the should be a national/international database for stole saddle serial numbers. It would not be that hard to put together if started by an individual and would take minimal effort from the saddle companies. Good brain storm idea, sorry that it had to come from heartache.

Comment

• Original Poster

Phone in your serial number

maufactures would not have to keep track of current owner. If a name brand saddle was stolen the new owner with a sales recipt and/or sherriffs report could call the saddle company and give them the description and serial number of the stolen saddle. The manufactures would then post this inforamation on a separate page of their website. Yes a bit of a hassle to update (could be deleated in a specified amount of time) but definatly a perk to owning one of these saddles.

Comment

our barn was robbed of many saddles about 3 to 4 years ago, some of them Schlesse. One was recovered a year later via eBay.

Some of my barn mates reported their saddles stolen to our saddler (who is an independent dealer, including Schlesse). He in turn reported numbers to the different vendors. The eBay buyer checked in with Schlesse to see about fitting her "new" saddle and they told the new owner the saddle was a stolen one.

Get this

the eBay buyer then went back to the seller and they returned her money. She had the money, she had the saddle.

so she sent the saddle to our sheriffs dept and the owner got it back.

It would behoove anyone shopping via eBay to get a serial number if possible and do their own due diligence. I would assume any saddle vendor would be happy to make connections. If they found out that the saddle is stolen, from their it is anyones guess how to proceed. The eBay fraud department must have something in place for dealing with fences.

personally I feel the theft and resale of stolen tack is a bigger industry than anyone wants to admit. I would wonder if the information that the serial numbers are listed on line was common knowledge, all the crooked seller would have to do is alter the number. It would be easy enough to do and a photograph sent to a prospective buyer would be easy enough to fudge.

I th
          _\\]
          -- * > hoopoe
          Procrastinate NOW
          Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Originally posted by KaBoom! View Post
            maufactures would not have to keep track of current owner. If a name brand saddle was stolen the new owner with a sales recipt and/or sherriffs report could call the saddle company and give them the description and serial number of the stolen saddle. The manufactures would then post this inforamation on a separate page of their website. Yes a bit of a hassle to update (could be deleated in a specified amount of time) but definatly a perk to owning one of these saddles.
            It would be much, much easier to have a user-administrated web site where people could post the serial number of their stolen saddle for a very nominal fee, like a dollar or two, just to pay for the server space. Then people could consult the database on their own and contact owners as needed. It would also keep saddle buyers/sellers/theft victims from waiting for the manufacturer to update their individual sites. Time can be a crucial factor when it comes to theft.

If you feel passionately about this, maybe YOU could set it up. It seems disingenuous to pass the buck to manufacturers.
            Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Just thought it could be a perk for the saddle dealers to let their customers know they care about them and thier saddles. I would love to set something up on a web site but unforturnatly if you read my posts I can't even get spell check to work much less create a data base. Just a thought and suggestion.

Comment

Devoucoux

Devoucoux has such a list on the front page of their site. or rather a link to the list.
                here it is:
                http://www.devoucoux.com/documents/s...saddles_us.pdf
                A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

NetPosse has a "stolen tack" area on their website. It's not a "enter a serial number" kind of deal, but at least there's a place to post stolen items.

http://www.netposse.com/stolenmissing/stolentack.htm

Comment

Wouldn't it just be easier if someone buying a used saddle other than from the manufacturer themself get the serial number and call the manufacturer before the purchase to be sure it has not been reported stolen? I do not think this is the manufacturers responsibility, but the consumers responsibility. I suppose some would be getting a good deal and maybe wouldn't want to know if the saddle was stolen (not me, I'm too honest as most of us are). If a high end saddle was selling for cheap, I would research it. Some people actually have a leather brand and brand in their initials.

Comment

Originally posted by lizathenag View Post
                      Devoucoux has such a list on the front page of their site. or rather a link to the list.
                      here it is:
                      http://www.devoucoux.com/documents/s...saddles_us.pdf
                      just as a test I googled the word devoucoux and the serial number of one of the saddles listed on their page (2116.06) and google took me right to their stolen saddle list.

A very basic list like Devoucoux has seems to provide the tool that anyone would need. I wish they all did that!

Comment

Just FYI, I bought a saddle off of ebay and when it arrived, the serial number had been scratched off. I never thought to ask for the number beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by Maude View Post
                          Wouldn't it just be easier if someone buying a used saddle other than from the manufacturer themself get the serial number and call the manufacturer before the purchase to be sure it has not been reported stolen?
                          Some people already do that actually! Most of the time everything is in order... but once somebody helped me find a brand new saddle! Someone had understood that one of our reps was getting regular packages with saddles and just decided to take one from her front porch and list the saddle on ebay!! Of course, the person thought we would blame UPS and that's what we did at first.... I was so thankful that the customer called us!!

First rule is to obviously never trust a seller who refuses to give a serial number.

What I do is usually post the stolen saddles in some discussions here... I believe it is more efficient.

here is our last one, it was stolen last week in Europe... who knows, they might think the American market would be a safer way to sell it:

17.5 TR 2C serial 1244/08

I like the idea of a adding the list on the website! I'll suggest it to our CEO.

Have a good evening,

Amandine

https://www.facebook.com/VoltaireDesign

Comment

Originally posted by narcisco View Post
                            Just FYI, I bought a saddle off of ebay and when it arrived, the serial number had been scratched off. I never thought to ask for the number beforehand.
                            scratched serial number is not good at all... it is almost a guarantee of fraud... Why would anybody scratch the serial number off their saddle?!

This is not very common, people who steal saddles are often smarter and try to "change" the serial numbers in modifying the stamping. So look for "suspicious" stampings.

https://www.facebook.com/VoltaireDesign

Comment

Wow, I'll never buy another saddle on ebay again without first checking the serial number with the manufacturer.

Comment

Are the people who steal the saddles horse people or are they just street thugs that aer hired to do the dirty work usually?

Comment

Interesting. I would not have thought to notify the manufacturer if a saddle was stolen and I doubt too many people contact the manufacturer to check serial numbers when buying a used saddle. .

Comment

This is an interesting concept but in thinking about my Hennigs, they have my name (spelled wrong, but it was a good faith effort on their part) stamped in them so there is no serial number. Over the years I know I have had some with serial numbers and some without so I don't know how a "system" could work but certainly contacting a specific saddle manufacturer is sounding like the right way to go. Glad I never bought one on ebay but I know lots of people who have and even more who have sold saddles on ebay.

Comment

If you go to your local police department, you can ask one of the officers to run the saddle you are interested in on NCIC, there should be no charge as it is free to law enforcement. A saddle that has been reported stolen to the police will show up on NCIC, just as cars and tvs show up there.
                                      Always good to be on friendly terms with your local police department or beat officer.

Comment

Working...
                                      X