• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ribbons in tail at dressage shows?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribbons in tail at dressage shows?

So I am sure we all know that the field hunter and H/J worlds have a code system based on the color of ribbons in the horse's tail -- red for a kicker, white for a sales horse, green for a green horse (and there are others I don't remember). Is anything like this done at dressage shows, schooling or recognized?

If things go well, I will be taking my mare to our very first schooling show at the end of April (not her first show, she has a fair amount of show mileage, but teh first for us as a combination.) I am planning to do the Intro tests, and enter Training 1 and only compete if the Intro tests go well. (She's looky and can be a bit hot, and will rear if she's really scared -- though she has never gone all the way up with me, mostly because I don't push her if she's starting to melt down.)

Anyway... she kicks. NOT people; her ground manners are very good. But other horses, especially geldings, running up her butt make her MAD. Would dressage folks understand the meaning of the red ribbon in her tail? And should it be removed before a test, since there won't be other horses right there?
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Dressage folks will definitely understand the meaning of a red ribbon in the tail. I'm sure it will be appreciated in the warm up ring. I would just remember to remove it before your test.

Comment

hmm, I always thought the ribbon system was universal. I've team penned and done drill team with riders who put red ribbons on the tail of a horse who might possibly kick.
      Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Originally posted by buck22 View Post
        hmm, I always thought the ribbon system was universal. I've team penned and done drill team with riders who put red ribbons on the tail of a horse who might possibly kick.
        I always thought the red ribbon was universal, too... It is in my neck of the woods. I didn't know about the white ribbon = sales horse, though... One more thing to look out for at shows. Quick!Someone hide my check book!

Comment

The red and green ribbons are a UK thing too. Not the white one though.

Here they're used for the likes of hunting when you are out in large company and merely to warn folks to keep their distance. Not used for compeition and most certainly not for dressage.

Comment

But maybe a good idea in the warm-up area, don't you think?
            Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

Originally posted by quietann View Post
              Anyway... she kicks. ...other horses, especially geldings, running up her butt make her MAD.
              If you are heading to the recognized show, it is against the rules to ride a horse that you know is dangerous to others. If you are saying that you can not control your horse at any of the places on the show grounds, you are setting yourself up for the unpleasant situation. TD, judge or show management can ask you to leave. It will be your responsibility that your horse will not injure other horses. Warm up arenas can be the most difficult places out of the whole show. Many horses and riders have a complete melt downs there. If other horses will come too close to your mare, you might ask them to give you some space. I know some people who ride holding 2 whips and hold them almost parallel to the ground so other horses will not come close to them. However, it is still your responsibility that your horse will not kick others EVEN if they will come too close by mistake.

If you are heading to the schooling show - the rules are up to that show management, call them and ask.

There are many riders/horses that do not go to particular show just b/c they know they or their horses can not handle the warm up arenas. This is a part of showing.

Comment

While I rarely see them, I think most people understand (and appreciate) the red ribbon in the tail.

I used to show an OTTB who was a serious kicker/teeth-baring biter to horses that got too close to her. I used a red ribbon in the warmup, was very aware of surrounding horses, and took it off before the test - never had a problem. Someone actually thanked me for labeling a horse that could potentially damage her horse.

After about 6 months, the mare settled into being in a ring with other horses and no longer needed the red ribbon.

I have had two occasions where a rider (both young teens) rode up on my butt in a warmup with my current horse, who is very tolerant. It would have been BAD if those same riders rode up on the former horse. Even if there's a chance that a novice rider recognizes a red ribbon and steers clear of your horse - it's worth it!

Have fun at the show!!
                Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

Yeah, I rode saddle seat growing up and a red ribbon meant a kicker (haven't heard those others though), so that's pretty universal. You generally wouldn't actually see it in the ring, but at an academy show with younger riders and slightly sour school horses you would see it pretty often = )

Comment

I would definately advise a ribbon in the tail as far as schooling/warming up goes (not that people always live by it buy you warned them!), I was showing a hunter show once and put a red ribbon in my TB gelding's tail, he is 16'3 and there was a girl on a small/medium sized pony that wasn't controlling her horse and she kept riding up my butt, regretfully my horse kicked out and struck her in the neck area (this was after I tried circling, half halting to let her pass, etc.) but she just kept getting close to us no matter how much distance I tried to make, they stopped the class until she exited the arena and we went on to take 4th out 19, but I felt horrible, but I did clearly have a large red ribbon warning her, I walked by her stall later that day and she was fine eating a popsicle (thankfully!!) but I would def. put one in, I would hate to ride past someone and not have fair warning and injure my horse or myself or that pair because of it!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Dressage Art View Post
                      If you are heading to the recognized show, it is against the rules to ride a horse that you know is dangerous to others. If you are saying that you can not control your horse at any of the places on the show grounds, you are setting yourself up for the unpleasant situation. TD, judge or show management can ask you to leave. It will be your responsibility that your horse will not injure other horses. Warm up arenas can be the most difficult places out of the whole show.
                      Oh please. I am not *that* naive. It seems a bit silly to not show a horse because it *might* kick out. I simply want to give others a warning as I precisely do NOT want another horse or rider to get hurt. Especially with kicking, I do not have eyes in the back of my head to see another horse coming up behind us. Maresy has never actually connected with another horse when being ridden and I am much more careful now to keep her butt away from other horses when not riding.

The schooling show we are going to has a big warm-up area, which is part of the reason I chose it over others. And *of course* if she melts down in the warm-up area, I wouldn't force her to stay there. Poor horse has a memory like an elephant, and getting into a fight with her is so not worth it. I am pretty sensitive to her moods. That said, she was shown quite a lot before I bought her and did not have problems beyond the lookiness.
                      Last edited by quietann; Mar. 20, 2009, 01:19 AM.

Comment

I'm familar with red = kicker. (yellow is stallion in endurance but in the dressage world I'm pretty sure thats not a big deal)

Comment

I don't see any way that a warning ribbon would be a bad idea. It would be just a "word to the wise" type of thing. And it might help you clear out a space in the warm up.

Comment

While putting a red ribbon in your mare's tail for the warm-up ring might be a good idea, you might want to attach it in a way that is easy to remove before entering the show ring, since ribbons in the mane and tail are not permitted in dressage.

Section DR121.6- ...Any decoration of the
                            horse with extravagant items, such as ribbons or flowers, etc. in the mane, tail, etc., is strictly
                            forbidden. Braiding of the horse’s mane and tail, however, is permitted. False tails are permitted
                            and if used may not contain any metal parts.

Comment

Originally posted by SillyHorse View Post
                              But maybe a good idea in the warm-up area, don't you think?
                              No I don't.

Not at all.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by tarragon View Post
                                While putting a red ribbon in your mare's tail for the warm-up ring might be a good idea, you might want to attach it in a way that is easy to remove before entering the show ring, since ribbons in the mane and tail are not permitted in dressage.
                                My intention is to use a hairclip to clip the ribbon to the tail. (I know others who do this.)

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Thomas_1 View Post
                                  No I don't.

Not at all.
                                  And your reasoning is?????

Comment

Sad and sorry day when there's a bunch of folks in a warm up arena at a dressage competition that are too stupid to know that you don't ever ride right up the back side of another horse.

Sad and sorry day when someone takes a horse to a dressage show that is known to kick out for the heck of it.

Sad and sorry day when folks have to warn others that the horse they're riding is unpredictable and badly trained or bad tempered.

It's dressage and a warm up ring!

The purpose of ribbons originally was for when there's say a hundred horses out hunting and having a blast cross country after hounds in full flight. In the old days rather than having a ribbon if you felt someone was getting too close, you'd put one of your hands behind your back - that meant keep back and say because you were about to check your horse for a jump of ditch of something that the person behind you might not have seen. It also then came to mean keep back you might get a kick.

Then as time went on more got involved with hunting that didn't know the old ways and ribbons crept in instead. Red ones at first and to save you having to stick your hand behind your back. They became to mean just keep back you might get a kick. Then in came the green ribbons and most often on youngsters on the first days hunting and basically just to say "I'm sorry if I'm not always following the hunting etiquette but I've got my youngster here and as such it might be a little excitable". Now all this is in my lifetime.

Here ribbons aren't used in competition - or at least I've never ever seen them. I can well appreciate why too.

It's not for horses that are supposed to be highly trained in the relative calm of a dressage arena.

Comment

It's not for horses that are supposed to be highly trained in the relative calm of a dressage arena.
                                      Thomas, you've expressed what I was thinking. Where on the training scale is kicking at other horses?

Yes, the warmup ring of any show is a charged environment. Yes, we all have to get through that first show. But if it's still a concern that the horse may kick out at another horse, is the horse really ready, training-wise, for a dressage show? I'd favor another season of schooling if I were concerned my horse would kick at another in the warmup ring.

Comment

Sad and sorry day when there's a bunch of folks in a warm up arena at a dressage competition that are too stupid to know that you don't ever ride right up the back side of another horse.

Sad and sorry day when someone takes a horse to a dressage show that is known to kick out for the heck of it.

Sad and sorry day when folks have to warn others that the horse they're riding is unpredictable and badly trained or bad tempered.

It's dressage and a warm up ring!

The purpose of ribbons originally was for when there's say a hundred horses out hunting and having a blast cross country after hounds in full flight. In the old days rather than having a ribbon if you felt someone was getting too close, you'd put one of your hands behind your back - that meant keep back and say because you were about to check your horse for a jump of ditch of something that the person behind you might not have seen. It also then came to mean keep back you might get a kick.

Then as time went on more got involved with hunting that didn't know the old ways and ribbons crept in instead. Red ones at first and to save you having to stick your hand behind your back. They became to mean just keep back you might get a kick. Then in came the green ribbons and most often on youngsters on the first days hunting and basically just to say "I'm sorry if I'm not always following the hunting etiquette but I've got my youngster here and as such it might be a little excitable". Now all this is in my lifetime.

Here ribbons aren't used in competition - or at least I've never ever seen them. I can well appreciate why too.

Maybe all the shows you go to are filled with expert riders on "highly trained" horses, but my reality is that there are kids and novices and horses that are at their first shows and yes, the occasional horse that may be known to kick if another horse runs up its hind end. And certainly are not sad, sorry days. Almost always they are fun, happy days. I see no problem with some "fair warning" in the warmup area.
                                        Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

Working...
                                        X