• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Saddle slipping side to side...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle slipping side to side...

I KNOW i read about this somewhere on here in the past couple months but i must be blond and not finding it? I dont know. So here goes...

FLAT back, no wither... Saddle slips side to side with any little shift of weight on my part. Teaching me to stay very centered, LOL, but this is a green horse who has balance issues still and i hate to keep throwing her off. Not to mention that i feel we are just about ready to try the big canter, and i forsee her spinning around a corner and me just sliding right down the outside and plastering myself into a fixed object...

My horses live in ThinLine pads, which has always helped with my slipping front to back issues... But i guess they dont help in this situation. Tried without it today, no different.

Tried my other saddle that fits her... No different.

Girth her up until she cant breath and she bucks at the walk... No different...

Is there any hope?

If only i could take some wither from my shark fin guy and add it onto her...
    Your Horse's Home On The Road!
    www.KaydanFarmsEquineTransport.com

I got a friesian in for training same issue but the saddle with shift so far left no matter what I did. The short of it is ... the saddle fitter found the horse was under devloped in his left shoulder and higher in the rt back causing the saddle to shift left, so the fitter flocked accordingly and it fixed the problem. Now 8 months later after correct work he has developed the muscle and evened out so the saddle needed to be refolcked and all is well.

Comment

imho, a slipping saddle is a saddle that doesn't fit, generally. That could be through the shoulder, perhaps its bridging, or the panels just don't sit appropriately for that horse's back shape.

however, if you're certain the saddle fits, I've found that wool pads are a fabulous anti-slip pad. The natural wool fibres interlock with the horse's hairs and provide anti slip. I bought my first mattes pad (for an ung-dly $160) nearly 11 years ago because I was pole bending a mutton withered flat backed horse and the saddle always slipped during high speed turns. Wool did the trick.

and, if you're using a short girth, I have found this to be a g-dsend: http://www.mossrockendurance.com/vie...=9&prod_ID=353

pure mohair, in a diamond (or roper's) shape. Its akin to the anatomical girths being sold now, ropers have been using this style for years because it gives a wide stable area for holding the saddle in place. Very necessary for stopping a steer, but also magically effective on a roundbacked mutton withered horse.

I have a penchant for mutton withered horses, and I used to game and pen, so hard fast abrupt turns were liable to get you introuble quick if you didn't have these sorts of things worked out in advance. and its never nice to cut a horse in half.

I'm currently selling a saddle that has a very interesting rear billet.... its set back and on a D thats in a nylon loop, rather like a humane girth. It has a stabilizing effect on the entire saddle. Sadly, mine is not wide enough for mine own horse (hence it being for sale) otherwise I'd offer it to you as the panels are designed with the broadback in mind.

good luck.
      Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Check your saddle fit, the tree may not be open enough or could be the wrong shape for the horse. IF you can post pictures? Try a point billet saddle and one that is wide enough to sit down and around your horse making it more stable.

I found the serge panel saddles slip less, and if you can find a good fit it will become much more stable although with "no wither" horses there seems to always be a small bit of shift.

We have a QH gelding here that takes a 4xw...but it is finally stable on him

Comment

• Original Poster

It may be the fit. I need to get pictures of it on her. She may have outgrown this headplate, which is scary, i only have one size bigger, i'll have to order more it looks... I'm concerned if i go up in sizes, i need the Flair refit as well. Know of any Flair fitters in the Aiken area?

Comment

While I was working to correct my horse's crookedness I had trouble with my saddle shifting right in the canter. This pad: http://ehorseequipment.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=463 really helped. Also, using a Soft Touch girth and a breastplate helped.

Comment

Picture these letters upside down

A " V " shaped saddle on a " U " shaped horse is going to slip just as badly as the opposite. On a very wide horse with no discernable shape to the withers, you actually want very little wither clearance. Remember--there is a huge difference between CLEARANCE and PRESSURE. No, you don't want the pommel sitting down on the horse, but you also need the saddle to sit down and around the horse, not be perched on top.

Perched on top = slipping.

I've found a couple that work... Duett and treeless being the 'easiest' and *I* couldn't ride in either... search for hoop trees. Albion, Black Country (County?) and Frank Baines all have versions. I'm in an Ancient Passier. (the new ones, sadly don't seem to work, though I haven't gone the custom route)

I do definitely pay attention to the girth too. Wider is better, contoured is better. Non-slip material can be helpful--but if the saddle doesn't fit, now you're just going to add discomfort if the girth is super-grippy and the saddle still wants to roll.

Panel shape can also make a big difference. Contrary to popular fashion, I find a banana shaped panel does nicely on a short-wide-flat back. Gussetted panels tend to have a definite edge and can 'dig' on this type of back, where the curvier panels lift off behind without any hard edge.

In the top 5-10 pages of this forum are some useful threads on wide horse fit etc.
              InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

I agree that the fit might not be quite right, in the meantime you can try the following things as "band-aids"

-You know that tacky stuff that you put under the rugs in your house to keep them from slipping? Use that against the horse in place of a pad

-Get a genuine chamois cloth, we slightly and use as saddle pad

-use a breast plate. Make sure it attaches to your saddle at the dees and between the legs to the girth. You are not using the breast plate to keep the saddle from slipping back, but to stop it from rolling too far to either side.

Comment

I've got the same problem. While lots of saddles appear to fit nothing sits down on her enough to stop them from rolling. I've tried all kinds of pads and girths and nothing seems to work. The Childeric seems to work but I am hesitant to get one because the tree is fixed and it is foam stuffed and with my horse just coming up on her fifth year I'm worried she'll change to much and outgrow it. At the moment I am making do with a double sided non slip pad but it is very frustrating. Fitting a dressage saddle is so frustrating I'm ready to go back to jumping!

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, both of my wide dressage saddles have quite a bit of wither clearance on her... My WOW "hugs" her well i think, and i put in the largest gullet that i have, which is a 3, there are plenty more to try, i just have to buy them. However, the wider i go with it, the higher the back end sits and she's already slightly butt high, it will have to be adjusted back there too and then i'm not sure if its the right panels for her, which can be changed as well... Of course, it all just takes money... sigh...

This is her in he WOW:
                    http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...n%20the%20WOW/

Then i have an older courbette that has what i think Pinto is discribing in regards to the banana panels. This saddle also slides on her, though i also think it hugs around better, but has a very high cut back pommel, so does not hug in that area, i think that may be the key here. This saddle sits a little low in the back, which could easily be remedied by reflocking, its wool, or at least try a riser pad, and technically that might bring the front down more to get that "hug" we are looking for? I dont know. This is the courbette on her:
                    http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...0the%20Trenck/

I'm really terrified to start on a search for a new dressage saddle that fits her. I had a heck of a time finding one that worked for me and then hit on my WOW and would really love to only own wows from now on... lol. The way this wow is may be totally set up wrong for her, there are plenty of other options... I just have to find someone WOW savy to talk to about it i guess.

The wow is what i broke her out in, but back then, she had a wither. I never had a problem with slipping until now. How frustrating.

Try finding a shaped girth in an 18"... She MIGHT be able to do a 20" now, but i'm not sure. Her 18" is the all elastic one from dressageextensions, its just a straight girth and completely elastic, no grippy material.

Comment

• Original Poster

Rival, i'm having just as hard a time fitting a jumping saddle to my "jumper."

I'm ready to go back to western. Those old saddles fit rolly polly foundation QH backs, surely they would fit my cob! Of course, the back would be over her rump... LOL.

Comment

The Trenk is defnitely too narrow. WAY too narrow.

The Wow appears to be the wrong panels. Have you ever tried half panels? In the UK known as Owen panels? It's definitely too narrow now, which you might be able to mitigate in the front, but that doesn't really widen it in the middle, which is where you are having your issue, I think. A handwidth or two behind the points is where it's sitting on top of the horse rather than around the horse.

I am in love with the stirrup bar placement on the Wow. I'm told they might be able to mitigate the wide-tree-narrow-hip issue for me... (I have a degenerating hip and the treeless worked FABULOUSLY for the horse, not-so-much for me. )

I hear ya on the $$$.
                        InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

• Original Poster

Pinto: You would love a WOW.

Looks like i need new panels. The panels i have are suited to a horse with a wither that has a dip behind the shoulder, which is why my wow fit her fine when she was younger as that describes how she was then... NOW is another story... I now need a panel with a tab, no gusset, and no stitch line, the exact opposite of what i have!

So i'm thinking i'll get new panels at this point. I love my wow too much to sell it. Its the only saddle i've ever felt at home in and didnt rub me raw. It just fits me too well, now i just have to get it to fit her! Looks like i'll be getting some larger headplates as well.

The Trenck isnt actually her saddle, but has a wider tree on it, though aparently too narrow for her, which is fine. However, it didnt slip as much as the wow does. But i do not want her uncomfortable and cause other issues due to poor fit. I can use no slip gadgets and breastcollars... But again, i hate to cause issues for her down the road because i was determined to ride in a saddle that didnt fit her...

Until i find that money tree... I'll stay bareback for a bit... Sigh...

Comment

Working...
                          X