Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

HugesCaroline_1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

"Dressage" Horse and the Rope Halter Crowd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a dressage trainer, and I use rope halters for specific things. They are very easy to fit a bridle over, and I don't like to longe from the bit, so I will sometimes longe using a rope halter as an alternative to a halter/chain combo if the horse is a rough customer.

I think they are useful for some groundwork, and for horses who want to lean/drag you around. I either use leather halters for general leading/tying/hauling, or rope halters for specific purposes.

I NEVER tie with one. I saw a horrible wreck when a horse got his halter stuck on a tiny bolt sticking a half inch out of a steel beam. He sat back and hung himself on that halter with sparks flying from his shoes scrambling on the concrete. A quick release would have done nothing in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by arlosmine View Post
      I'm a dressage trainer, and I use rope halters for specific things. They are very easy to fit a bridle over, and I don't like to longe from the bit, so I will sometimes longe using a rope halter as an alternative to a halter/chain combo if the horse is a rough customer.
      I have never seen a professional trainer, (dressage or otherwise) longe a horse in a "rope" halter OR in a "halter/chain combo", whether the horse is a "tough customer" or not.

Never.

Leading a horse, is completely different than longeing a horse, and requires different equipment.

ETA; I have only seen dressage trainers (the professional types) longeing horses in a longeing caveson. The amateurs, that I know, do this as well.

I have seen amateurs longe horses in a leather halter. Not an effective training method, though I suppose they were not really "training" but only attempting to get the bucks out.
      Last edited by skydy; Nov. 7, 2014, 02:21 AM. Reason: To Add..

Comment

You can quite easily longe a horse in a rope halter. Why would that be a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by ellevt View Post
          You can quite easily longe a horse in a rope halter. Why would that be a problem?
          It could be a problem, depending upon what you were trying to accomplish by longeing the horse. If you are trying to get the" bucks" out, then no, it would not be a problem at all.

If you are a dressage trainer, schooling a young dressage horse on the longe, then you have a "problem" if you have to use a chain or a rope halter to school the horse on the longe.

Of course I may be wrong in assuming that dressage trainers still use a longeing caveson and/or a surcingle and side reins. It's quite possible that I am hopelessly outdated and that new "chain" and/or "rope" techniques have replaced the old school method of teaching a young horse to carry the bit.

Comment

Originally posted by taharah View Post

(also, i have heard the argument from rope-halter-people(parelli followers) that chains are abusive and "can break a horse's nose bones." which is BS because if you're using them properly, that is obvious never going to happen.)
            Yep, this horse's neck was broken

Of course you might argue that the chain was used incorrectly, but it was used in the same manner that I've also observed in barns

Comment

The chain was used incorrectly. That's like arguing that all rope halters are bad because some moron tied a horse with one and it flipped and died.

For anyone using a chain shank and not putting the chain into effect, clip directly onto the halter so you have no loop of chain. Not rocket surgery.
              Ahhhh, spring is here. The birds are singing, the trees are budding and the paddocks are making their annual transformation from cake mix to cookie dough.

Comment

A rope halter is a training tool. They are as good, mediocre, or bad as the person using them, same as a bridle, whip or spurs.

They do serve a specific purpose beyond that of a web or nylon halter, as they offer more control. Though some people tie in them, they are not designed for the turn out in pasture tie for grooming purpose the regular web or leather halter is. And horses can take on bad manners in a regular halter as they can pull against it and feel nothing, so unless person corrects them, becomes barging, ignoring the handler etc. Learn how to tie a rope halter, it is interesting and easy to do wrong so learn to do it right in case you decide to use on! You might enjoy working your horse in a rope halter. It is easy to learn basic groundwork online or from a book or a few sessions with an NH based trainer. Fun for teaching tof etc . Dressage and a bit of NH groundwork actually go together well and there are some upper level riders who do it.

Comment

>>>the ground training she wants to do with my horse>>>>>>

No, no and no. It is your horse. No one trains your horse without your permission.

If you are working with her horse then you handle the horse the way she wants.

If she handles your horse then she must handle it the way you want.

If she is not happy with that then she doesn't touch your horse.
                  It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Lots of pros use them for various reasons.
                    I've seen a long list of professionals use them (including Bettina. Drummond, Gene Lewis, and more west coast pros than I can count)
                    Many people start their young horses in them before putting reins on the bit. Actual, real trainers who do a good job with young dressage horses.

Cavesons are useful as well. Strangely, though, My most sensitive mare hated my well fitted and padded caveson and did well in a leather or rope halter for lunging. (Studious longing with bend, stretch and relaxation) They are all tools.
                    The use of a Rope halter does not imply that the use of the halter is violent or rough, or just used to "get the bucks out". I have not seen them used that way.

Comment

This is the rope halter I have http://www.bonypony.com/product.cfm/...ll-rope-halter I don't use it often and I bought it for a specific horse I no longer have (the confirmed halter breaker who was a pain to handle on the ground period when I got her) I liked this better than a chain. One it won't tighten, releases instantly and the knobblies over the nose are like a chain but not as sharp. This halter doesn't have the 'painful knots' some on here have talked about.

I wouldn't really be interested in a trainer of any sort who completely dismissed something like this but was fine with chains over horse's noses.

As I said in my first post in this thread, my preferred method is leather halter no chain. And that is how pretty much all of my horses even when I have had stallions get handled once they understand. Most never see more than a flat halter their entire lives that they spend with me. My yearling certainly has never had more than a soft leather halter on him!

For the OP I would watch, I would also inspect the rope halter to see if it has those big knots or is more plain. If you don't like the halter ask if they can do it in your regular halter. (if you are interested)

Comment

When my new young mare arrived she was a bit snort-and-blowy. She didn't know me, and she didn't know the farm. One of her first official acts as my new trail horse was to spook out to the end of the lead rope and slide out from under herself in the mud, to the tune of a puffy fetlock and a $700 vet bill. The injury only made her more fearful.

Well, maybe Buck Brannaman could've managed this spooking situation with raw animal magnetism and a wisp of silk thread, but I know my limitations. I'm no flippin' horse-whisperer -- more's the pity -- so I dug around in the trunk and found an old rope halter. I used it to hand-walk this scared horse around the trails the first week or two while she recovered. It steadied her during her initial acclimation from sheltered showhorse-land to sudden herds of deer and feral hogs and turkeys. I preferred it to the chain shank option for the reason others have mentioned, that there are no moving parts and the release is instantaneous. It allowed me to handle the horse more confidently, which in turn made her feel more secure.

Mare now rides out alone, happy as a clam, on the buckle, not giving a flip about the deer. New, improved trail horse, brought to you by Rope Halter.

I am fairly certain the rope halter doesn't torture her too much; whenever I break it out she practically swan-dives into it because it means we're going for a nice walk in the woods.
                        Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the varied and thoughtful responses ... none of the trainers I've had over the years have used rope halters when I was at their barns.

I'm interested in the vehemence against leading a horse in a bridle based on my experiences at jogs. I would put CDI competitors in the "experienced dressage rider/trainer" group.

Basically, my take-away is that either type of halter can be used well or used improperly and if used well, doesn't matter what it is, results will be successful and if used poorly or incorrectly, results will not be good.

In the last couple of days I've seen that my horse is not any less well-behaved than the others. In fact, she responds to voice commands and is more consistently respectful of verbal instructions from me than the other horses are from their people.

I would like the presence of a halter of any kind to say "you're on my time now" and am okay with having a chain, although I do understand about the release being a bit slower. She seems to like the weight/connection (she's like that under tack, too ... likes to know her rider is there).

Small circles and whirling ropes are not in her future. I tried to impart the importance of not stressing her legs/joints in that way. But there's lots and lots of room for other stuff, and I'm looking forward to it all.
                          *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

There are plain rope halters and ones with little knots, I'd imagine either is effective, I have the Parelli halter and the rope itself is smooth and not rough, so may be gentler than some others. Recommend a higher end brand name rather than one sold cheap generic (imo)

I agree many horses can do fine in a plain leather halter. So much depends on the handler. I have seen top riders, soon as they dismount, act so casual or silly on the ground it is amazing their horses don't have worse manners. Talking on cell phones while leading, letting horse get way in front or way behind, rolling while on lead line, pushing, barging, etc. Ignore and tune out the horse unless the horse does something really horrible ( and by then it is usually too late). Would you ride with totally loose reins chatting on a cell phone and letting horse go here and there and barge around through your aids? Why do people lead that way, or let horse lean on them when grooming etc, and then are surprised when an issue develops.

By the time a horse needs a rope halter ( unless it is not broke, which is a different topic), by the time a horse needs a rope halter, there is an ingrained behavior that is the handlers fault. We always blame the horse but it usually is due to poor handling, t's just some horses won't take advantage of poor handling but others will, or will do it to an extent it causes a problem.

So unless the handler takes time to understand the behavior, studies how to correct it, how to continually handle on the ground from now on in a more attentive manner that encourages good behavior , sticking a rope halter on for a few sessions won't accomplish much.

Comment

I have used rope halters. I have done some of the natural type horsemanship training. I have also used bridles and bits while leading, as it is the way we show in hand. I have also used flat halters, and chain leads if needed. Realistically, they are all tools. Most issues cannot be fixed with a tool, it takes training to fix issues. Any tool can be humane or abusive, it boils down to how it is being used. As a barn owner, and someone that has trained and boards outside horses....I expect my horses to treat me like fine china. Stay out of my space, respect me, listen and follow my lead. It takes consistency, and very clear rules so they know what is acceptable behavior. I no longer use rope halters as I can usually acheive similar results in a flat halter. Also a well trained horse will usually be able to respond in any halter set up, that would be an ideal.

Comment

A rope halter has a higher purpose than just a tool for correction, the more sophisticated use of it is as a training tool, leading toward horse working at liberty off the line, needing no halter at all ( I never got to that level but it is beautiful to watch). The purpose as a training tool vs correction tool of a rope halter is that a handler can give light signals and horse learns to instantly responds . The flat halters are too dull and thick to transmit a light touch on the lead line or a touch from a far off 20 ft line to a horse and thus are suitable for leading to and from paddock every day handling.

Comment

Originally posted by One Two Three View Post
                                  My mare was started by a natural horsemanship-dressage trainer (I always thought this was an oxymoron)

Back in spring, my mare started acting, well, Mareish. Her impeccable ground manners had turned into little battles with her pinning her ears back and swinging her butt towards me. She became dominant. (which is why her previous owner sent her to a trainer to be started vs doing it herself. she was capable of doing it, but was honestly scared of this mare) The trainer who started her told me to put the rope halter on her and see what happened.

She has extremely respectful ground manners and leading manners with the rope halter on.

Unfortunately, when I throw her nice leather halter on (when someone comes to see her-trainer, body work lady, etc) her manners aren't terrible, but they are definitely not as up to par as they are when she's in the rope halter.

I'm not sure if she's just dead to the leather halter because the rope halter actually applies pressure on points of her head that tell her "excuse me, ma'am, let's listen", mostly because I don't know the first dang thing about natural horsemanship and the "rope halter" aside from how to use it, safely tie it, and that I nickname it my mare's "manners" halter.
                                  Well, since you don't know a thang about NH and are not making an effort to learn, the mare's better response to rope halter vs flat halter is due to the pressure points, as well as associated memory. If you were interested, you could learn to transmit the manners she has in the rope halter to plain leather halter, and could have the trainer who started her come out and explain your goals to him , for example and work with him a few sessions, or learn on your own and apply it.

Otherwise, things will stay as they are. She is not going to make the connection herself, as you are using the rope halter to correct or avert bad behavior, rather than teach good behavior, it is the teaching of good behavior in a rope halter which can then be carried over to the flat halter because now the horse has cognitively learned .

Comment

Originally posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
                                    I'm interested in the vehemence against leading a horse in a bridle based on my experiences at jogs. I would put CDI competitors in the "experienced dressage rider/trainer" group.
                                    I would not let my mom lead my horse by a bridle because she's the type to clamp onto the horse's head. On the other hand she can "hold him" as I tell him woah when he's next to her and walk away - basically ground tying him, but leaving a human next to him so he thinks he's being held. Because the reins still over his neck and human not touching reins is all he needs to be "held" whereas if you pull on his mouth unnecessarily he'll flip out about it.

Originally posted by Countrywood View Post
                                    We always blame the horse but it usually is due to poor handling, t's just some horses won't take advantage of poor handling but others will, or will do it to an extent it causes a problem.
                                    Who is this "we"? I have little respect for someone who always blames the horse, and actually RARELY see that on this forum.
                                    If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
                                    -meupatdoes

Comment

I was a long time leather-halter-and-chain girl for certain situations. Had reason to spend time with a student of Buck Brannaman's and learned the purpose and usefulness of groundwork, and of using a rope halter. Now, I will use a rope halter when working with a horse--I like that the release is immediate and total, because the halter is light. I also like that, with a rope halter and a properly tied rope of a particular type, there is a consistent feel from my hand to the horse's face--no flopping heavy snaps, no metal fittings, no rope-to-chain-to-halter-ring transitions in the material to interfere, magnify, or dampen the feel between me and the horse.

I do still use a leather halter for tying and shipping, and even occasionally for turnout. I make sure it fits well, and I use a 3/4" instead of a 1" for lighter weight.

I have a good friend who is a far better horsewoman than I, but who feels that her dressage horses are just more horse than my QHs, and that, regardless of what's on their heads, they will be more up and more uppity. And so they are. Yet I've seen my "cowboy" mentor handle her horses and they are quiet and know to stay on their end of the leadrope with him.

It doesn't matter so much what is on their head, what matters is the person standing at the other end of the leadrope. I find a well-fitted rope halter to be a very useful tool. I also find that a leather halter has it's place. And I consider it my responsibility to make sure a horse is never put in a situation where they can be injured by pulling back.
                                      "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

Originally posted by sascha View Post
                                        The chain was used incorrectly. That's like arguing that all rope halters are bad because some moron tied a horse with one and it flipped and died.

For anyone using a chain shank and not putting the chain into effect, clip directly onto the halter so you have no loop of chain. Not rocket surgery.
                                        Did you read the article
                                        - the person whose horse died was the author, she never implied any different ... she shared her tragedy because it is not uncommon to see people using the chain incorrectly.

Her article is not intended as any sort of "argument"

Comment

The person at the end of the lead matters more than the halter that's being used.

I use rope halters with a tied-on 12' lead when I work with my horses (Double Diamond is my preferred brand). The barn uses the regular turnout halters and lead ropes that I provide. The horses are well behaved in both.

I do lead my mare with the bridle, but because she follows *my* lead there isn't any pressure on her mouth. I walk - she walks. I stop - she stops. I turn - she turns. I back up - she backs up. I point her at the trailer - she walks on. She didn't come this way, and it's been day after day of consistent work to get her there. If ever she made the choice to not follow me we would do some remedial ground work in a halter.

My instructor worked with Ray Hunt but does not call what she does "natural horsemanship". Her horses are impeccably behaved, including the breeding stallion that she occasionally rides during my lessons.

Comment

Working...
                                          X