• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ground Driving/Double Lunging/Long Lining/Long Reining

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground Driving/Double Lunging/Long Lining/Long Reining

I am interested in doing 'long lining' with my horse after reading about it in an article in Dressage Today (With Bo Jena.). I didn't get to read the first or second of the three articles, so I may have missed this.

But how should I go about introducing the long lines to my horse? Any information on the subject is greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has any links to some informative material would be great. Thank you.

yes-- it was a three-part series. There are also several books on the subject - one by a Suamer guy...name escapes me, sorry, and I think one by Jen Loriston-Clarke (again, may have mauled that name too...).
    If you google it, I'm sure you can find some basic "getting started" info too.
    Sheri
    www.onthemuscle.com
    www.cafepress.com/onthemuscle

Comment

I don't think there are many books out there (I've been looking) - and there are so many things of which to be aware. I would start by trying to find someone who can help you with this in person (not that there are many around). But it is a fabulous, fabulous tool - for you and your horse.
      www.specialhorses.org
      a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

There was a fabulous article in a late 1980s Practical Horseman mag about long-lining by Claus Balkenhaul (sp?)... I still have it. No good for you, of course, but maybe Claus had a book on it?
        View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Comment

The best book I know about is Wilfried Gehrmann - Doppellonge.

Am not sure if that is available in english. But if he is ever anywhere near you, try to take part at a clinic !
          I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
          www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
          2017: March: Filly by Lissaro - SPS Don Frederico - SPS Prince Thatch
          May: Finnigan - Sandro Hit - SPS Rouletto

Comment

Wilfried Gerhmann is excellent--and there is a DVD that is very easy to follow--and gives instruction in English--

email: info@tv-vogel.de

and ask how to obtain a copy in English -- "Long-Reining with Wilfried Gehrmann"

that said--at least as much as riding if not more--the devil is in the details and the FEEL and the process.

Long lining and for sure double-longe requires a lot of knowledge-experience to do properly and keep the horse moving forward to the contact.

good luck!
            one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Comment

Phillippe Karl - Long Reining - The Saumur Method, is a great book.
              Patty
              www.rivervalefarm.com
              Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

No Offense, but WHO r u People riding with?

Long Lining, that is the classical Dressage technique of riding and training your horse from the the ground is as refined a skill as teaching the Haute Ecole!
                If you do not have access to someone who is schooled in long lining, not "Ground Driving" which is walking behind your horse with long reins, then please do not take up long lining.
                It is an ancient art, and takes great skill and timing, not a technique for the amatuer!
                Find someone who does it well, meaning their horses, walk, trot, canter, shoulder-in, renvers, travers, piaffe and passage on the long lines and let them TEACH you, THAT is LONG LINING! Bon Chance!
                Heath Curry, Owner/Trainer
                Hunter Crest Farms
                "A horse who is asked will win for you both, one who is told, will lose despite your best efforts!"

Comment

If you are in the midwest contact Stephens College in Columbia, Mo. Dianna Rankin is there and is a longe lining guru.
                  Anne
                  -------
                  "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Comment

Book

Try 101 Longeing & Long Lining Exercises by Cherry Hill. Some of the book is very basic, however there are some great exercises. I like this book because it can help you formulate a plan and break up the monotony.

Comment

what is a good place to buy long lines? Also, is there anyone in MD who teaches long lining?
                      Appy Trails,
                      Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
                      member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

Comment

Saddlebred people long line all the time, so there are many types available from those types of tack catalogs.
                        These are the ones I have. http://www.nationalbridle.com/product-p/1-1232.htm I broke the pulleys off of them because I have no use for those. I like the way the clothesline ends slide in the rings. Then, after using them for many months, I cut the ends a bit shorter for my taste.

Some people swear by leather lines. Many lines come with buckles on the ends. That scares me a little. Too many opportunities to get caught in the lines.

other resources:
                        http://ehorseequipment.com/index.asp...h=lines&Page=1

http://www.sstack.com/jump.jsp?itemI...&page=2&sort=0
                        ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

ask on the driving forum as dirver start there horses off by long lining
                          so do dressage,
                          look on any assocation or club or society when a connection to the fei
                          as they all have listed accredited coaches ie 4h american pony club, usdf, etc
                          but check out the driving side of things on here as there might be someone closer to you
                          there are a some good instructors that visit here on coth
                          so ask on here to any event ,dressage, driving. or show jumping trianer
                          if qualifed and accredied knows how to long line

Comment

As someone who long lines a lot, I would suggest you start off in a round pen or small ring. The hardest thing to get used to is staying with your horse, and if they are not making a consistent circle, you end up with either too much slack in the lines, or too tight of a hold and getting pulled off your feet and confusing the horse, since your only connection to them is through their mouth.

I'd first start with lunging in side reins. After trotting for a bit in one direction, ask your horse to halt and stand. It will most likely turn and face you, as is normal when lunging. Do NOT let it walk up to you. Teach it to stand there, and YOU walk up to IT. Change directions by turning the horse towards the rail. Again, this is opposite of what you do when lunging, so it takes some getting used to, for you and the horse.

Once your horse can lunge and halt, away from you, and stand quietly while you walk to it and fuss with your lunge line, (and I would also suggest walking behind the horse and teaching it to stand quietly while you move around) then you are ready to move onto actual long lining.

Get the horse going in its usual lunge circle, wearing his normal riding bridle and surcingle. Ask for the gaits you'd like to work in, and when you transition down to a walk or halt, be ready with a bit more tension on the outside rein to help keep the horse from turning to face you (once he learns to stay out there, you can reduce or eliminate the tension). If the horse does turn to face you, act normal, just like you did with the lunge line, and apply light pressure to the outside rein and see if you can straighten him back out. If not, just walk up to him and start over. Be patient. Some get it right away, some don't.

To teach the horse to reverse, do it in small steps. The first few times, walk up to the horse just like you did on the lunge, carefully slide the lines over his rump to the other side, walk around to the other side, and using that line, gently ask him to turn and face the other way and stand quietly. Back yourself towards the center of the circle and resume working the horse. Again, you might need more tension on the (now) outside line to keep him from following you into the middle.

Gradually, you will be able to ask the horse to reverse from further and further away. My horse is so trained now that if we halt and I raise my hands (as if to raise the lines to slide over his rump) he just turns himself around. I don't need to do a thing.

The worst thing about long lining is moving out of the round pen and learning to steer with 30' reins. They are heavy and will act differently on the horses' mouth than normal riding reins. You have to adjust your reaction time accordingly - usually you must react FASTER when long lining than you can under saddle, and to add to the difficulty, you only have visual cues. You cannot feel your horse shift his weight or balance, so you have to watch carefully and learn the signs. Transitions, rating, balance, collection, steering - all require a bit of relearning for both of you.

An important word of warning I must mention is if the horse starts to turn more than one revolution, wrapping the lines around his neck, body and/or legs. It is usually caused by "too late" or "too soft" rein aids during a reverse, so pay attention when asking your horse to turn that you don't forget to "stop" the turn by applying the OTHER rein. If it goes too far, or the horse panics, this is where you need to have FAST reflexes! I can halt a spin before it even gets one revolution, but I've been long lining for over 20 years and I can see it coming a mile away. So, if you sense your horse is about to turn, or is in the process of turning and for some reason doesn't stop, you need to immediately give a hard bump to the outside rein (do not take ahold or the horse will begin backing up because the inside line won't release fast enough) and stop the turn. Remain calm, don't freak out - it happens. Once the horse stops turning or backing up, walk up to him and just restart.

Long lining can be a wonderful way to exercise a horse or introduce new concepts to them. I use it to introduce cavaletti's to a horse who's never seen them, as well as to do a lot of bending and hill work, when a rider's weight might be in the way or too much.

But like everything else - practice practice practice!!!

Comment

I thought of something else... Another technique I use with young horses is to line them from nearby, and I do a lot of walking/running. (Makes for a great workout for me! )

I'm not sure which would be an easier way for your horse to learn, since obviously I don't know his history. Since traditionally, ASB folks do very LITTLE lunging and really only use it as a precursor to teaching long lining, we don't have to break as many habits that are formed through years of lunging.

It might be easier for your horse to learn in a way not associated at all with lunging. In this case, you would walk/jog with your horse, slightly behind and to the inside of the circle. It gives you a closer feel to the mouth, and may not be as confusing to either of you. You also don't run into the issue of the horse turning and getting into trouble as easily.

As your horse figures out that you are steering from the ground, you can gradually move yourself further and further away until you're long lining from a greater distance.

I work every horse a bit differently - it depends on what they need. I find close work is best when I'm trying to teach a more difficult maneuver or help a horse find their confidence, but it also tends to teach the horse to rely on me and my body language for signals, instead of the reins (and since, when horses are driven, they cannot see me, it's not a good idea for me to allow this reliance). For your purposes, it may not matter.

Anyways, if you can find a trainer to help you out, that would be the best way to learn. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiffani B View Post
                                An important word of warning I must mention is if the horse starts to turn more than one revolution, wrapping the lines around his neck, body and/or legs. It is usually caused by "too late" or "too soft" rein aids during a reverse, so pay attention when asking your horse to turn that you don't forget to "stop" the turn by applying the OTHER rein. If it goes too far, or the horse panics, this is where you need to have FAST reflexes! I can halt a spin before it even gets one revolution, but I've been long lining for over 20 years and I can see it coming a mile away. So, if you sense your horse is about to turn, or is in the process of turning and for some reason doesn't stop, you need to immediately give a hard bump to the outside rein (do not take ahold or the horse will begin backing up because the inside line won't release fast enough) and stop the turn. Remain calm, don't freak out - it happens. Once the horse stops turning or backing up, walk up to him and just restart.
                                I had one horse who would "wrap up" He did it to me twice, and I've never had the problem before or since. It's sort of like being on the end of a yo-yo string. All of a sudden you're being realed in,and before you know it, you and the horse are nose to nose with a "What the Heck" look on your faces. I think most horse's instinct would be to stop not bolt. At least an ASB, because as you know "dem Saddlebreds is smart"
                                Both times it was because I got to far forward towards his shoulder at the halt and he backed out from under the lines. Always stay in a driving forward position near the hip.
                                ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

Originally posted by SmartAlex View Post
                                  Always stay in a driving forward position near the hip.
                                  Good tip! Yes, never get yourself in front of the surcingle. Try to stay at the hip or behind.

Comment

We offer instruction on this topic. You can PM for more information. Safety is a big issue.
                                    Anne
                                    -------
                                    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Comment

I was thinking more about this as I drove back and forth from the barn today. It is really imperative to teach the horse to stop on the longe and not face you if you are preparing to teach the horse to line. It is when the horse faces you that you get in front of the surcingle and risk the horse wrapping up.
                                      I longed my horse yesterday, which I don't usually do, and I realised how he had learned from years of longlineing to halt at the end of the line and wait for me walk up to him and not turn to face me. This is a huge safety issue.

Comment

Bo Jena

Bo Jena has given clinics at Blue Bird Farm in Maryland. Might check there to find out if he is coming back. Long lining is a art and I would highly suggest that anyone wanting to learn (thumbs up) to find someone well proven in the skill or get a group and bring Bo or another clinician in. I know Bo very well and studied with him for almost a year when he was living in the USA. He is very easy work with, bring him in for a clinic to long line and ride. It's worth putting in the time to make it happen.

Comment

Working...
                                        X