• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Training aids for riders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training aids for riders

I just got Dressage Extensions catalog and came across some interesting training aids for riders. One is Steady Hands
    http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr....asp?KEY=22651
    and another one is Soft hand
    http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr...l.asp?KEY=2287
    Has anyone seen them in action, do they work?

Originally posted by Equus_girl View Post
    I just got Dressage Extensions catalog and came across some interesting training aids for riders. One is Steady Hands
    http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr....asp?KEY=22651
    and another one is Soft hand
    Has anyone seen them in action, do they work?
    I recently started using the "rein-aids" with my mare, they are the same as this

It has made a radical change in my mare, especially at the canter. She has always been very light and sensitive in the mouth, and hard to get a good feel of. She goes in a happy mouth and is still too light. Shortening my reins just pissed her off, and I did not feel like I had the hands or experience to really hold and drive like so many instructors recommended.

I tried the rein-aids on a whim. Since using them the last 5 rides or so I have had 3 of my best rides ever. So, I am not above using tools if they work, and I certainly cannot see the harm in making my horse happier ad more comfortable.
    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

I just dont agree with these things.
      Steady hands come from a strong seat and body control.
      www.spindletopfarm.net
      Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
      "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Comment

Originally posted by STF View Post
        I just dont agree with these things.
        Steady hands come from a strong seat and body control.
        How can you "not agree with" a 2" piece of elastic that is limited in the amount of give by a solid piece of leather?

With my mare, even professionals had a hard time getting her consistently soft yet solid in the bridle. For the first year I owned her she would not take contact. We use tools every day with horses, people lunge with side reins, wear spurs, carry a whip, experiment with different bits, saddle pads, whatever it takes for our horses to be happy and comfortable in their work.

If 2" of elastic makes my horse noticeably happier in her work, and gives her an "ah-ha" moment, then I am damn well going to use it.

Comment

If you get the reins with the built in elastic, they are even legal for showing

Comment

I just want to add another insight as well. I know we have all entered into viscous circles sometimes with a young horse where it seems we just cannot get past a certain issue. Mine was canter transitions, no matter what I did or who I worked with, I could not get past my mare wanting to throw her head up at the trot-canter transition. It was one part balance, one part my hands and seat, one part habit. Since using the rein-aids this week I have gotten several wonderful canter transitions, and a lightbulb has gone off in my head and my mares.

Say it IS a riders hands. Is it better to struggle for months (or years!) trying to steady one's hands while their horse is annoyed, inconsistent, pulling, in turn making it physically difficult to learn how to steady your hands? Or maybe would it be better to try a TOOL that will make the horse happier, make him/her steadier in the bridle, and allow to rider to learn how to ride better?

Comment

Originally posted by Perfect Pony View Post
              allow to rider to learn how to ride better?
              I guess that's the question (and I'm not taking a position here).

Does it allow the rider to learn to ride better or does it prevent the rider from learning?
              Ring the bells that still can ring
              Forget your perfect offering
              There is a crack in everything
              That's how the light gets in.

Comment

She can not agree... because it's OPINION. And we're all entitled.

I used to use elastic sidereins at times with certain students. I don't see it as any different, just more expensive. I also will have students un-velcro their saddle pad billets and hold with their reins. Or grab a piece of mane. Or grab the grabstrap if it's long enough... again, same principles, just cheaper.
                InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

I bought a horse that had been ridden solely in Rein Aids. I couldn't touch her mouth with a regular snaffle and contact was intermittent with a KK Ultra. She was even worse for my instructor. It took a couple of months before she accepted the bit and allowed contact to remain steady without flipping her head. I would never use a Rein Aid on a horse, after that experience. I hadn't realized how much of a crutch they were when I tried her, as I'd never heard of them before. If I'd seen her ridden without them I doubt I would have bought her, at least at her then stage of training. Her previous owner did mention what a lifesaver they were (I dealt mainly with her instructor, I didn't meet her until the day we signed the paperwork/gave her the check) and that she needed to get her own set. But I didn't realize that the horse was nearly a rearer when ridden without them.

It didn't take too long to retrain her, but for me, it was a scary time, dealing with her behavior, especially not knowing her before bringing her home without Rein Aids and never having ridden a horse that rejected contact so strongly. I can see how they'd be useful for a beginning rider on a schoolhorse in order to save the schoolie's mouth, but I would never use it on a personal horse, too much work to undo.

Comment

For me, it allows me to ride this particular horse bette. I have been able to work on steadying my hands, and giving more with my elbows, softening my arms, and sitting more vertical be because she is not fighting my hands.

I don't have the worst hands in the world, nor the best. I can ride most horses, both young and trained and get them forward and round. IMO, they are what they are, a tool that can work for some horses and riders in specific situations. No more, no less.
                    Originally posted by MelantheLLC View Post
                    I guess that's the question (and I'm not taking a position here).

Does it allow the rider to learn to ride better or does it prevent the rider from learning?

Comment

I don't understand how the thingy with the elastic lets the rider learn what a softer hand feels like, because the elastic softens everything you do- thus removing any chance of feedback from the horse.

In other words, without the thingy, if you're too harsh with the reins or your hands are otherwise too 'hard', then you get some kind of negative response from the horse- ranging from tenseness and a worse ride to things like avoiding contact and otherwise letting it be known in No Uncertain Terms that the horse is Not Happy. Meanwhile, with the thingy, if you're too hard on the reins, that's muffled before it gets to the horse, so the horse might be going along happily, but you the rider are learning exactly nothing about softening your hands- because you have no way to know if your hands are soft enough or not! (In fact, I would wonder if long-term use of the thing actually results in riders with harder hands on average, because of the muffling effect of the elastic.)

I mean, I can see where it might have a place- if your horse is so tender-mouthed that you just can't be 'soft' enough, or if you have some kind of difficulty whereby you simply can't soften your hands to the necessary extent, or in the case of newbie riders who aren't really at the 'improving rein aids' stage yet- but I can't really see how it does much as a LEARNING aid for the rider. If anything, it seems like it'd be better to call it a sanity-saver for horses stuck with ham-fisted folks.

Comment

Originally posted by jesterjigger View Post
                        I bought a horse that had been ridden solely in Rein Aids. I couldn't touch her mouth with a regular snaffle and contact was intermittent with a KK Ultra. She was even worse for my instructor. It took a couple of months before she accepted the bit and allowed contact to remain steady without flipping her head. I would never use a Rein Aid on a horse, after that experience.
                        You're assuming the rein aids caused the behavior. I am betting they were a result of the behavior.

As for whether they help or hinder a rider- depends entirely on the rider, doesn't it? If it is a rider who is going to continue to work on herself no matter what, then maybe it will make the initial work easier on the horse. If it's a rider who is constantly looking for shortcuts, then obviously they are a shortcut

If you have a sensitive mouthed horse and a rider who is trying but not progressing instantly to perfect hands, I'd think the horse would be happy to have them

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrey View Post
                          If you get the reins with the built in elastic, they are even legal for showing
                          REALLY?!? That just doesn't sound kosher to me. I dunno, it seems like they would be an unfair advantage. And a big part of dressage is the horse accepting the bit and the rider having independent, effective hands, two things which elastic reins seem to nullify.

Comment

You're assuming the rein aids caused the behavior. I am betting they were a result of the behavior.

As for whether they help or hinder a rider- depends entirely on the rider, doesn't it? If it is a rider who is going to continue to work on herself no matter what, then maybe it will make the initial work easier on the horse. If it's a rider who is constantly looking for shortcuts, then obviously they are a shortcut

If you have a sensitive mouthed horse and a rider who is trying but not progressing instantly to perfect hands, I'd think the horse would be happy to have them
                            No, I'm saying that the rein aids did nothing to help the behavior, and in fact, made the behavior worse, when the hands were no longer muffled by the rein aid. They are a crutch that may lead the rider to believe that all is well, when in truth it is not. This mare still braced and sometimes threw her head up even with the rein aids on, but not nearly as much as without them, I knew she hadn't had steady training so I chalked it up to greenness. I think that they set her training back quite a bit though, because they are a crutch. I think it would be better for the rider to have real time and honest reactions to what they're doing, instead of being led to believe their hands are better than they are because of a gadget.

I tend to believe what is said here about them though, http://www.sustainabledressage.com/t...s.php#rein-aid

"What they will not help in the long run, is the problem itself. If you use these inserts, they will do the elasticity for you, and you will only reinforce by habit that a tense grip on the reins is OK, and the subsequent bobbing of the hands is OK, since the rein-aids soften it before it reaches the mouth. You will never learn to feel the soft chewing of the horse being on the bit."

Comment

instead of being led to believe their hands are better than they are because of a gadget.
                              Soft hands come from a solid postion, balance and good seat, allowing the hands to follow and be soft. A forward thinking feel comes from the seat, not the hand. So, yes, I agree.... a gadget.
                              Being my opinion........
                              www.spindletopfarm.net
                              Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
                              "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Comment

agree with jesterjigger and stf

read this thread on bit advasion as well ,http://www.meredithmanor.com/feature...t_evasions.asp

Comment

I don't see how any elastic rein thing could do anything positive, including softening mistakes with the hands. I think it's more about convincing people it does that than actually doing it.

Comment

I dunno. I bought a set for my fussy pony, but we have not used them much. I think the reason I don't really see what the hubbub is about is that I didn't think they made that huge of a difference, although as I said we haven't used them much.

I guess I wonder- if a set of $40 reins will do the same thing as a year of intensive training, why is the latter automatically better? If a horse goes well in a KK but is fussy in a link snaffle, we don't intensively train to make them accept the latter. It's just a piece of tack. If your horse likes it, it's even legal in the show ring.

And like any tack, if your horse will only work in this one particular type and not in most of the commonly available types, you should probably tell potential buyers. I'd say the same if the horse went ballistic if you put anything but a KK in his mouth or rode without his sheepskin fuzzy teddy bear pad.

Comment

I dunno. I bought a set for my fussy pony, but we have not used them much. I think the reason I don't really see what the hubbub is about is that I didn't think they made that huge of a difference, although as I said we haven't used them much.

I guess I wonder- if a set of $40 reins will do the same thing as a year of intensive training, why is the latter automatically better? If a horse goes well in a KK but is fussy in a link snaffle, we don't intensively train to make them accept the latter. It's just a piece of tack. If your horse likes it, it's even legal in the show ring.

And like any tack, if your horse will only work in this one particular type and not in most of the commonly available types, you should probably tell potential buyers. I'd say the same if the horse went ballistic if you put anything but a KK in his mouth or rode without his sheepskin fuzzy teddy bear pad.
                                      I agree 100%. One could call anything a "gadget". How about a flash or dropped noseband? A certain type of bit? A treeless saddle? How about a double bridle? A roller spur? A gel pad?

And I agree that it says something to me that the reins are legal to show in. Once you get proper contact with them they are actually as solid as "regular" reins.

It's funny you bring up the fuzzy pad. My mare is also radically different when ridden in a Mattes pad (and I had her saddle completely reflocked by one of the best saddle makers/fitters in the business IMO). He told me some horses simply go better in them no matter how well the saddle is fitted. I suppose I am using it as a gadget and should be able to ride her without it or I am not riding well enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Perfect Pony View Post
                                        I agree 100%. One could call anything a "gadget". How about a flash or dropped noseband? A certain type of bit? A treeless saddle? How about a double bridle? A roller spur? A gel pad?
                                        Or how about a whip and spurs? We've just come to accept some "gadgets" and not others.

Don't get me wrong, some gadgets are shortcuts or crutches, if only because they aren't allowed in the show ring. If you ride with side reins, or a german martingale, or a pelham (shhhhh!) you're not saving yourself any work in the long run, just shifting it around or avoiding it for the time being, because eventually your horse will have to go without to show.

But if your horse prefers something and it's allowed in the show ring, isn't that usually a good thing?

Comment

Working...
                                        X