• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Lauriche saddles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lauriche saddles?

I have been cruising around the used saddle sites looking for a nice used dressage saddle and have fallen madly in love with the Lauriche saddles. I am new, just converted from hunterland, and have a nice older dressage saddle that I bought years and years ago, but my guy has muscled up and it doesn't really fit him any more. I really like the look of the Lauiche (oooh square cantle for the inner hunter princess!!) and it looks nice and comfy and well made (should be with a noted 6k price tag!) can anyone educate me on them, or am I being rather impulsive?

They are the BEST. My trainer became a convert when I loaned her mine to use on my gelding she has in training because her saddle didn't fit him. She rode him in it once and was an instant convert -- found a used one for herself on ebay and bought it on the spot. Where are you located? There's a saddle fitter here in VA who is an expert on these saddles.
    ~Another proud member of the TrakehNERD clique ~

Comment

BEST saddle EVER!!!!!!!!

I have 2 dressage & a jump (well one dressage is my mom's). Granted, I got them in 1999 when they were a wee bit (ok so much) cheaper and Andy used to fly over from England and fit them/custom make them himself.

You will love love love the saddle!!!

Where are you located?
      RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
      http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
      New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
      http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Comment

Since Lauriche is out of business, I would get the foam taken out and get a traditional wool flocking done to it so that it is easier to be fitted to your horse by a master saddler. There are very few saddlers trained by Andy Foster to fit the Lauriches and adjust the foam.

I have two Lauriche dressages and a CC saddle. And getting the saddles adjust correctly is a problem now.

Comment

Originally posted by jcotton View Post
          Since Lauriche is out of business, I would get the foam taken out and get a traditional wool flocking done to it so that it is easier to be fitted to your horse by a master saddler. There are very few saddlers trained by Andy Foster to fit the Lauriches and adjust the foam.

I have two Lauriche dressages and a CC saddle. And getting the saddles adjust correctly is a problem now.
          Isn't there someone in TX that was trained by Andy?

Comment

She is totally out of saddlery or any leather repair business, too.
            I think the only one that i know of that is qualified to work on Lauriches is in Va.

Comment

Originally posted by jcotton View Post
              She is totally out of saddlery or any leather repair business, too.
              I think the only one that i know of that is qualified to work on Lauriches is in Va.
              I forgot that she quit doing it.

I assume you are speaking of Larry. He does come to TX about 6 or 7 times a year PM me if you want his contact info. I got in touch with him when I thought about getting one of my dressage saddles refitted. He said that he would do it on one of his trips to TX

Comment

How is Lauriche out of business? I know 2 ladies that just had Larry out to measure them and their horses... their saddles are being made as we speak.

Also, I was told by Larry that as long as the saddle fits you and the horse, they can basically change most everything else, i.e. knee roll, etc.

Comment

I have an older one that I got a lucky buy on, I finally took it out for a spin the other day and was astounded by the comfort. Once I adjusted my stirrups, I completely forgot there was a saddle there, I just focused on my horse and had a lovely ride. My horse moved well too, and fortunately its just wide enough that I can pad/shim it for a good fit. Its such an intelligently designed saddle, its a wonder more people don't adopt the features. Its lovely and open, the seat is broad without being a bench, and I don't feel trapped or as if my legs are being forced anywhere at all... I don't feel like I'm sitting "in" the saddle or "on" the saddle... its like it just disappears and I don't even know the saddle is there. My horse actually offered his back to me in a rather pleasant way (he's rounded in a not so pleasant way in the past when a saddle bridged and he was trying to find relief) and we did a few strides of seated trot too, that was a first for us.

I also have a jp giacomini which is also designed and made by andy. I spoke to JP about his saddle and he said that Andy does still come to the US from time to time.
                  Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Lauriche the company went out of business, but Andy still makes saddles as Andy Foster Saddlery these days.

Comment

no question about it, they are the most balanced saddle ever, and ive tried more than my share... from old kieffers, passier's, all the way up to 3 different hennig models, a hermes corlandus, 3 custom saddlery saddles, schleese's, yes, a lot of saddles, over the years on many different horses. The one i never notice is there and my leg just falls where it is supposed to, and my hips are open and my seat deep is the Lauriche. I bought it just before I had a Wendy Murdoch clinic and she confirmed it fit me and my horse perfectly. I bought mine from fine-used-saddles.com, Patricia seems to have a busy market for them. I'd buy another just to have an extra if i could...

the do tend to run large in the seat, so keep that in mind.

Comment

I wouldn't spend any money on a foam flocked saddle - you can't adjust the flocking, and once it starts to compress (as they all do with age), you get the pleasure of either paying a LOT of money to have it torn apart and put back together with wool flocking, or you can chuck it in the trash. Sounds like a great way to spend $6k!

If you want a nice saddle, find a saddle FITTER (not just a rep for a single company, their job is to sell you THEIR brand of saddle, whether it fits you or not), and spend your money there. There's no reason that you can't get a GREAT saddle that fits you and your horse, complete with paying the fitter's fees, for under $3000. If you're paying more, you're getting had.

Comment

Does anyone have current contact info for Larry? I need to get them refitted to the new mare.

Comment

Lauriche

I have had a Lauriche for a couple of years and have really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, my mare grew out of it and I think that I will be selling it very soon. They are wonderful saddles though.

Comment

Originally posted by StephC View Post
                              I have had a Lauriche for a couple of years and have really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, my mare grew out of it and I think that I will be selling it very soon. They are wonderful saddles though.
                              StephC- PM me about your saddle. If I can't get Larry to TX to fit mine to my new mare I will be looking for a new one.

Comment

I have a JP Giacomini saddle, made by the same guy who makes Lauriche, and it is absolutely divine. You would have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. It fits my mare perfectly, and it has fit the other wide horses I have used it on. And after having a foam panel, you could not get me to go back to using wool. Foam keeps its shape and gives a more even surface. I added a ThinLine for my super-sensitive mare, but I don't have to use one on other horses.

My saddle is probably about 20 years old and it still looks just wonderful. I had to condition it some when I first bought it, but the leather is still soft and wonderful. The seat is the perfect amount of cushiony to support your crotch and seat bones, the knee rolls are perfect, the seat is deep enough without being restrictive. It's the only saddle I have been able to relax in.

Comment

Great Saddle!

I bought one in 1996 and still love it. I agree completely with buck22. Don't buy it if you want to be locked into a position. The horse trainer who comes to my barn rode my mare for me last year when I was out of commission for a time. He did not want to use my saddle because he said he didn't find most dressage saddles comfortable. One day I tacked her up before he got to the barn so he reluctantly decided to try it and became a convert. After 12 years and NUMEROUS horses, the only thing it needs are new billets on one side and that's probably from bad rollers on a girth I used.
                                  Piney Woods

Comment

Guess I'm the ghoul at the feast,............................

One word - ecchhhh.

Worst saddle I've ever ridden in, by far. Too much crap between you and the horse. I'd never buy one, even if it were priced reasonably, which it isn't.
                                    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                                    A life lived by example, done too soon.
                                    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

One of the ugliest saddles to look at but not bad at all to ride in I have various clients that love them. As for me ,I ride in many different saddles and Lauriche is def. in the better half of the saddles.
                                      Every time you ride, your are either teaching or un-teaching your horse.

Comment

Bubblehead

I've spent the last year looking for a saddle and I've dealt with saddle fitters and saddle reps. Wool vs. foam, synthetic tree vs. wood, etc. etc. Originally I thought that a beechwood tree, stuffed with wool and a saddle fitter was the way to go, but I wanted to keep an open mind, After sitting in about 50 saddles and doing countless hours of research and many in-person interviews, I have a few observations.

Saddle fitters have their own agenda, which is wool flocking. Foam panels will put most of them out of business. They are very dogmatic and their training is rarely anything to brag about. I have never spoken to anyone who was happy with their re-flocked saddle. The high quality foam that is in saddles is similar to the foam in car seats, which rarely compress over time.

Saddle reps do indeed try to sell their saddles and they often get a healthy commission, 1k or more.

I think it's judgemental of fuzzy pony to say if you are paying more than 3K for a saddle "you're being had." I think if someone finds a fabulous saddle that fits both horse and rider and he/she is happy, it's a great purchase. I have regretted spending money on something that I didn't love, but I have never regretted buying the best for myself, people that I love, and my horses.

Originally posted by fuzzy.pony View Post
                                        I wouldn't spend any money on a foam flocked saddle - you can't adjust the flocking, and once it starts to compress (as they all do with age), you get the pleasure of either paying a LOT of money to have it torn apart and put back together with wool flocking, or you can chuck it in the trash. Sounds like a great way to spend $6k!

If you want a nice saddle, find a saddle FITTER (not just a rep for a single company, their job is to sell you THEIR brand of saddle, whether it fits you or not), and spend your money there. There's no reason that you can't get a GREAT saddle that fits you and your horse, complete with paying the fitter's fees, for under $3000. If you're paying more, you're getting had.

Comment

Working...
                                        X