• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

First day of the courtcase against Christine Wels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day of the courtcase against Christine Wels

Today was the first day of the courtcase against Christine Wels, the German dressage rider and trainer who has been convicted for horseabuse in a earlier case. CW was charged for the fact that she had beaten her horse with a lunge whip for over 470 times in less than half an hour.

Christine Wels (who in the meantime moved to Danmark) stated today in court "if this is horse-abuse than the whole equestrian world have to be taken to court"

Originally posted by freestyle2music View Post
    Today was the first day of the courtcase against Christine Wels, the German dressage rider and trainer who has been convicted for horseabuse in a earlier case. CW was charged for the fact that she had beaten her horse with a lunge whip for over 470 times in less than half an hour.

Christine Wels (who in the meantime moved to Danmark) stated today in court "if this is horse-abuse than the whole equestrian world have to be taken to court"
    the girls got issues...that's for sure...

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

Originally posted by freestyle2music View Post

OMG that makes me sick...I sure hope she's wrong on that
      Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive. Dalai Lama

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Tamara in TN View Post
        the girls got issues...that's for sure...

best
        And another statement of her "people have to understand that methods used
        in higher level dressage are different than the methods used in the hobby dressage world"

Comment

I don't know a whole lot but, I do know that if you have to beat a horse 470 times to get it to do what you want, you need to rethink things!!!

Comment

That tells me she sure isn't working with a TB...because after the first 3 or 4 she'd have 1600 pounds of on-the-offense equine on her hands. And maybe her head.
            www.specialhorses.org
            a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

Her training methods show on her face - Danish TV; http://74.125.93.104/translate_c?hl=...HQHnv_SVe88dfw
              ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Hopefully the judge has a brain and eyeballs to see what it is: abuse. And to see what CW is: an abuser.

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Is the horse industry in Germany/Europe staying quite on this or have any of them come out against her and her methods?
                  Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive. Dalai Lama

Comment

I wonder if she thinks because no single hit was excessive, that 470 hits in 30 minutes is OK? In other words, she can't understand that something that may be OK once becomes mentally and physically abusive when repeated constantly with no 'correct' response that will make the hitting stop.
                    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

Comment

It's kind of like Chinese water torture. No one drop seems to hurt....
                      Kathy Johnson

Comment

FIFTEEN whacks with a whip per MINUTE for 30 minutes = upper level dressage training???

Gosh, I guess I do hobby dressage then, coz I thought the idea was to sensitize the horse to a lighter aid.

Silly me.
                        OTOH, fifteen whacks per minute, I'll bet she's got great upper body strength.

OK. There really is no point trying for a lighter mood.
                        The woman is crazy. She has fallen into the abyss, where sadism and cruelty to others leaves you hungry for more.

I hope they punish the people who let her have horses to train. They helped to enable this situation.
                        one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Comment

A pretty clear cut case of asocial personality disorder (used to be called psychopathic personality), complete with all the clever sounding justifications and explanations.

And she knows nothing about 'upper level dressage training'. She looks alot more like a backyarder than an upper level trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by slc2
                            She looks alot more like a backyarder than an upper level trainer.
                            How do you recognise that from a look??

Comment

I identify that from watching her train horses, where she stands there with the horse going around her on a longe line and smacking it over and over with a longe whip for what appears to be no particular reason at all.

And when I say 'backyarder', i don't mean someone who keeps horses at home, i keep horses at home, i mean a particularly awful kind of place with bad treatment of horses.

Comment

I'd have thought that made the difference between someone who abused horses and thought it was acceptable and someone who didn't.

Comment

Christine Wels rode at one of the early World Cups. The Wels family have been involved with dressage as trainers for several generations.

Wilfried Wels used to be well-regarded as a trainer, back when Bimbo Peilicke was considered on the soft side.

She comes from a background where the horse is a work animal, will do what it is told--or else.

The problem is, she is crazy. Something about power, about abusing a creature that cannot fight back,that cannot tell anyone else what has happened--that obviously is the itch she wants to scratch.

she makes me want to be more than a little sick in my mouth.
                                  one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Comment

Violence is the antithesis of "training" at any level in anything. Dressage is based on "harmony" -- how can harmony be achieved by bashing? I sure don't see how any relaxation and "schwung" could ever be accomplished either. So, it would be logical that the higher the level, the more sensitive and discrete the aids should be to get good scores or have a horse without resistance or tension performing the true movements. She should be subjected to that same treatment over and over and see how it feels.
                                    JMHO
                                    PennyG
                                    I hope she gets some real punishment!!

Comment

why do people like that not get it that you can't teach an animal by beating it? What does it learn? To be afraid of training?
                                      In the video, the horse is side-reined much too tight and going around in much too small a circle, all the while being harassed with the whip. What is it supposed to learn by all that??

Comment

Indescribable. But - I have to say I have seen things almost as bad - riders sawing on mouths, hauling on reins with all their weight, working in a grossly overbent frame, spinning the horse in a tight circle, constant whipping, working them in training aids that don't allow them to stretch. I've seen a highly experienced rider get off a horse that was 'misbehaving' leave the arena and come back with a dressage whip and lay into it. I once had a 'noted' rider work a young horse of mine over cross country jumps and when he refused at a water jump she beat him - he came back to me covered in thick welts - all over his rump, ribs and shoulders. I won't tell you what I said.

It's symptomatic of the way many riders view horses and the fact that many judges let them get away with it. You simply cannot get a horse to work truly well with that sort of brutality - and it shows in the arena so if judges heavily penalised riders who train like that - or who have their horses trained like that - it would soon die out.

Comment

Working...
                                        X