• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Thoughts on this mare as well?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

I have discussed this mare at length with my trainer, and asked her to be brutally honest with me what she thought this mare's abilities were. At first she said that she wouldn't make second level, and then I think she started to see the amount of work I am putting into this mare and said that we could possibly make it to second level.

Another plus is this mare already has her flying lead changes. They came so naturally to her it was freaky.

I am not sure what level you would call the club that I show with. They consider themselves "educational dresssage," and are a USDF GMO. They only offer up to second level (hince my second level goal). Everybody dresses to the nines at each show.

Saddle fitting is going to be a bear, there is no way around that. I am currently riding her in my collegiate diploma with the extra wide gullet and it fits her nicely with enough room for me to still use my thinline half pad (love that pad). In contrast though the wintec dressage that my friend rides her in with the exact same size gullet in it sits on her like a party hat. I did have a treeless saddle for a little bit and she loved it, but I couldn't get a hand on posting in the thing. Thinking Thorowgood, Kent and Masters, or Duett for her. I ended up with a Classic with the genesis tree for my lease gelding, but it doesn't seem to sit right on him or her, despite what the saddle fitter said. I think the first order of business if I did get her would be to get a saddle fitter out to see if the Classic can be salvaged. I am rather bitter about that, haha. I didn't listen to my gut feeling and now I am stuck with a $1400 saddle.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Comment

I think you've already made you decision

Comment

Originally posted by Skyedragon View Post
        Another plus is this mare already has her flying lead changes. They came so naturally to her it was freaky.
        Ummm ... I saw the video you posted. Are you sure she wasn't just swapping leads? Because that horse doesn't look like one that's ready for flying lead changes.

In one of your other posts, you said you've been serious "for years" about moving up the levels. If you haven't made much progress in that time, my guess is that you're not all that serious.

And I say that as someone who finally realized I'm not likely to put in the time, money and concentrated effort it takes to show above 1st level. I love dressage, I will continue to take lessons, and work on my riding with my horse -- who is my absolute heart and has been for 9 years. But I'm much more realistic about where we'll end up than I was 3 years ago.

So buy this horse. Don't worry about what level she'll end up at. Just ride and enjoy her.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/jessica.f.s...0260134&type=3

This is my stock breed paint. He was not at all what I was looking for! I looked for a year and wanted something to take me up the levels. We have lots of dressage shows around here. Local gmo and usdf. I looked for the wb that could do it. I looked up to 20k and needless to say in my area I wasn't finding one that had a brain with the movements. I didn't want a spazzing horse on my hands. I wanted one to take care of me and trust in me. One that I could trail ride and play around on and have serious dressage lessons also. When I saw this horse I just knew he was the one. My husband thought I was crazy lol. Not at all what i had been looking at or for. My goals and feelings changed when I saw him. I think we will make it to second possibly 3rd if he's got it in him. I will go for paint awards but I'm not looking at regionals etc anymore. If it happens it would be a great surprise but I'm happy and content with my handsome little stocky paint that I can trust to throw my dd on as well. Good luck and go with your gut.
          Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

The link above took you to my album. He is the buckskin paint at the top of the album. .
            Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mp View Post
              Ummm ... I saw the video you posted. Are you sure she wasn't just swapping leads? Because that horse doesn't look like one that's ready for flying lead changes.

In one of your other posts, you said you've been serious "for years" about moving up the levels. If you haven't made much progress in that time, my guess is that you're not all that serious.

And I say that as someone who finally realized I'm not likely to put in the time, money and concentrated effort it takes to show above 1st level. I love dressage, I will continue to take lessons, and work on my riding with my horse -- who is my absolute heart and has been for 9 years. But I'm much more realistic about where we'll end up than I was 3 years ago.

So buy this horse. Don't worry about what level she'll end up at. Just ride and enjoy her.
              I said that I have been wanting to work through the levels for years, BUT haven't had the horse to do it with. The mare that I lost in Jan wouldn't had made it past Intro/Training. Before that I owned a TB gelding that I was stupid and didn't get a vet check on and ended up only being pasture sound. I leased two horses and both times the lease got ended before I was able to get hardly anywhere, or had just started getting somewhere.
              The Blog

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by rabicon View Post
                The link above took you to my album. He is the buckskin paint at the top of the album. .
                The link says content not available.
                The Blog

Comment

I am generaly not a fan of the drafty horse, but... I've been working with one for a few months now. While he is a lot of work/ a lot of horse to move around EVERY SINGLE TIME, he is quite lovely once he is in front of the leg! He looks confirmation wise a lot like the mare in your photo, but... she seems to be a better mover!! Having said that, this guy did quite well in Training and First Level at Recognized shows, with not a score under 60%, and several in the 70% at both levels. He was in the top ten at Regionals at First Level Open!!!

Again, not a horse I would have picked, but here it shows how a good mind can overcome A LOT!!! If you like her, go for it

Comment

If your trainer doesn't like her it will be an uphill battle. I think that second level is a realistic goal for someone who rides 5 days a week and takes hardcore dressage lessons on at least a biweekly basis. Even then it could take you several years to get there .

I'm not sure what kind of horse tops out at Intro level but if you think that's possible then maybe reconsider this horse since she does need retraining.

My only concern is that in my experience grumpy ears can mean a nappy horse and if you are a timid rider without a lot of experience retraining a sucked back horse you will get nowhere the first time you ask her to step forward and into the contact and she has a hissy fit. I know because my 1/2 arab mare is the queen of the grumpy face.
                    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I said that I have been wanting to work through the levels for years, BUT haven't had the horse to do it with. The mare that I lost in Jan wouldn't had made it past Intro/Training.
                      What do you mean she "wouldn't have made it past Intro/Training?" Any horse with 4 legs can do first level -- it's lengthening, stretchy circles and leg yields, for goodness' sake. I don't care about conformation or breeding; A sound horse -- ANY sound horse -- is not PHYSICALLY limited from scoring 50% at 1st level. A sound horse that can't do this a) hasn't yet had enough training, b) has had poor/inadequate training, or c) is not being ridden well. I'm no goddess of dressage on my high horse -- I'm a crappy eventer on my off-breed horse struggling into 2nd level - but that's my fault, not hers.

OP, please don't take this as a dumping on -- but maybe a gentle shake. What holds us back is ourselves. I know you have had some crappy luck (my condolences on losing your mare in January), but if you want to move up the levels, you don't need to wait for the right horse to come along. Get into a good lesson program on a schoolmaster and build your toolbox. If you have more skills -- if YOU have ridden at 2nd level -- you will be able to develop and maximize the potential of any horse -- purpose-bred or off-breed. OR, buy this sweet mare and be willing to take a long and winding road as you both muddle along enjoying each other's company. But don't blame her (or the saddle, or whatever) if it doesn't happen overnight.

If you want to WIN at 2nd -- don't buy her. (And mp is right -- those are not flying lead changes in the video.)
                      If you want to DO 2nd level, and you like her -- get her. But getting to 2nd will be up to you, not her.

good luck!!
                      I don't mind if you call me a snowflake, 'cause baby, I know a blizzard is coming.

Comment

so she doesn't look like an upper level horse - but if you are really into 'educational' dressage you should be able to do that on about anything.

one of my old trainers (who is an S judge), said that you can get 2nd on almost anything, altho the moves may not be super high quality, and that the work will both make the horse a better mover and preserve it's soundness over time.

this one looks like one that might be a good jack of all trades...perhaps not overwhelmingly excellent at any one thing, but happy to go try a bunch of different stuff.

depends on what you want to do.

Comment

• Original Poster

I guess I should have clarified. My mare had canter issues, she had never been taught to canter (run at barrels, yes, but not canter in an arena) up to the point that I had gotten her at 17. We worked really hard at the canter, but some days she would pick it up and some days it didn't matter what you did she would not. So that is what made it so we wouldn't have gotten far.

Also, I am not talking about the lead changes in the video, I am talking about doing canter figure eights and having her change in the middle (not with me, but her owner). I was always told that that was a flying lead change?
                          The Blog

Comment

I guess I should have clarified. My mare had canter issues, she had never been taught to canter (run at barrels, yes, but not canter in an arena) up to the point that I had gotten her at 17. We worked really hard at the canter, but some days she would pick it up and some days it didn't matter what you did she would not. So that is what made it so we wouldn't have gotten far.
                            Ok, but without having seen the situation, I would still argue that this is a training/riding issue, not a physical issue. I've seen standardbreds (trained to NEVER canter) transition be successful in lower-level dressage.

Also, I am not talking about the lead changes in the video, I am talking about doing canter figure eights and having her change in the middle (not with me, but her owner). I was always told that that was a flying lead change?
                            Can't comment having not seen her. Yes, what you describe is a "flying" change of lead, but dressage folks are very picky about how they teach flying changes. Unless a horse is schooled to be straight, balanced and round with a nice "jump" in the canter, the lead change tends to be unbalanced, strung-out and "front-to-back" rather than "back-to-front". There is a reason that lead changes are not taught until 3rd level (after the horse can stay balanced at counter-canter, do shoulder-in, has started collection, etc.). Unfortunately, reschooling "bad" lead changes can be tricky if the horse has been drilled in them.

Perhaps she does have a lovely change, but I would guess from watching her general way of moving that she is not fit or balanced enough for them yet.
                            I don't mind if you call me a snowflake, 'cause baby, I know a blizzard is coming.

Comment

I was impressed with the video! If people got over her color, look at her gaits. She tracks under at trot and she has a lot of loft. Her canter is average but steady . She actually is an attractive horse, kind of like the old statues of strong horses and she might exell at piafe and passage. Her neck has a natural arch.

If she did this well at her first show, that is a good sign. The scores are pretty decent. It is better to have a horse that you can feel safe in the warm up ring and show and actually do it with then a fantasy about a better mover that might never work out.

I know so many amateur riders here near Wellington that bought costly well moving WB's and one a Lusitano, some even with a fair amount of training, and these people, even after many years, never showed beyond training level. So a horse you can actually ride yourself and progress in lessons with and show with and hang out on trails, sounds great. If she hits a wall at second level you can sell her and move on but she might be able to go higher imo.

Comment

• Original Poster

Her being "pink" (my favorite color), is just the icing on the cake!

I was running into a bit of a wall finding horses that had a lot of talent but with that talented seemed to come a kind of crazy or at least not ammy friendly personality. The horses that had the personality that I wanted didn't have the talent. I know that I am not a very brave rider, and that I have a lot more fun on a quiet horse than I do on one that is jumping around everywhere.
                                The Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Countrywood View Post
                                  It is better to have a horse that you can feel safe in the warm up ring and show and actually do it with then a fantasy about a better mover that might never work out.
                                  what she said!!!!

i like this one better than the other mare, too....

Comment

Countrywood, what do you mean get over her color? I love her color. I'd buy her on her color! Pink horsey!

Paula
                                    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Her being "pink" (my favorite color), is just the icing on the cake!

I was running into a bit of a wall finding horses that had a lot of talent but with that talented seemed to come a kind of crazy or at least not ammy friendly personality. The horses that had the personality that I wanted didn't have the talent. I know that I am not a very brave rider, and that I have a lot more fun on a quiet horse than I do on one that is jumping around everywhere.
                                      Sounds exceptionally sensible. Buy a horse you can ride. Better yet, buy a horse you'd WANT to ride.

Paula
                                      He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Pass. That shoulder is always going to be that straight, and she is always going to be that downhill. She is 6 years old. I'm sure she's pleasant, she looks pleasant...but low energy big heavy horses are great for peddling down the trail- NOT for developing your skills to run up the ladder.
                                        Sure, any horse can do First. But why not find something lighter in their own loafers that kinda wants to get up, pick up and go a bit? It's going to be hella work for her to lift that body and carry it- I think you can do better, not just do good enough. I don't think she's good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Countrywood View Post
                                          I was impressed with the video! If people got over her color, look at her gaits. She tracks under at trot and she has a lot of loft. Her canter is average but steady . She actually is an attractive horse, kind of like the old statues of strong horses and she might exell at piafe and passage. Her neck has a natural arch.
                                          Did you see the same video that I did? That horse was nowhere near tracking up at the trot. She has a rather short neck, a steep shoulder and a downhil build. That is NOT the conformation that excels at piaffe and passage, or even trot and canter lengthenings -- and that's just first level.

If she did this well at her first show, that is a good sign. The scores are pretty decent.
                                          Intro A and B are w/t tests. Nothing wrong with that, but as they say in the financial industry, past performance is no indicator of future results. Not at that level. Ask me how I know this.

OP, if you are not a brave rider, a nice quiet mount might be just the ticket. If you really like this horse, then get her, learn on her and then you'll be ready for more talent.

Or you could spend that money on lessons riding school horses and learn more about the mechanics of riding.

Your choice. But as fargaloo said, either way, it's up to you to push yourself and put in the time and effort.

Comment

Working...
                                          X