• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Is it worth getting a OTTB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth getting a OTTB?

Hi All,
    I am kinda in a funk. So humor me..... After reading the thread about managing goals got me thinking. I have no real budget for a WB and I was looking for something else (non arab) I used to gallop racehorses and they are in my budget. BUT everyone I am around says no to the OTTb. I have a great trainer and taking regular lessons. At this time I have no riding horse but I am riding a schoolmaster for lessons and riding anything I can borrow in between lessons...lol and really want to ride my own. My goals are to get to 3rd and my bronze. So are the OTTB out of the question?
    Thanks

For me, it's all about conformation and temperament. A nice ground covering stride is also good. I don't worry so much about the swing on an OTTB because if the conformation is correct, that can be developed. A big overstep is good. Good bone is a must. And I love the TBs mind. Most are so willing and have great worth ethics. If you find one you like and can work with, go for it. I got mine 6 years ago and my UL trainer thought he was a Dutch Warmblood!

Comment

RE: So are the OTTB out of the question?

Absolutely not! In fact my former dressage trainer, Christine Betz, tried to get me to look at TBs for dressage (I really wanted a draft cross though). She has all her medals and she's brilliant so I'm thinking her opinion has merit. You need to have expert eyes look at the before to make sure you get the kind of conformation that wil give you the after.

Paula
      He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...=OTTB+dressage

I rest my case! You just need to know what to look for.

ETA link to my horse in post 35
        A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

It may not be the norm but there are some very nice TB in the dressage world. Some of the previous threads will list names of well known riders and their successful TB's

There's also someone on COTH who trained one of their OTTB to 4th level/PSG and even competed him sidesaddle. I keep forgetting who it was, but I'm sure someone will post links.

People have even competed mules in dressage to great success, so I don't think the breed matters so much. H*ll, somebody on youtube even has a camel doing 1-tempis.

I think the thing about Warmbloods is all about stacking the deck in your favor. If you would like to get a TB because that's what's in your budget, you may need to look longer to find what you want but nice ones are out there.

Comment

As the others have said. Definitely possible. It may take awhile. The Canter person for PA was just telling me about a lovely dressage type stallion that was being listed. Here is TB - Sea Accounts doing his Prelim dressage test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMGBz...ature=youtu.be
            Epona Farm
            Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

You would be surprised what you can afford in a WB if you save the amount you would have been spending on board, shoeing, etc.

That said, I'm VERY pro-OTTB. I have an 11 year old TB on his 3rd career. He has emotional scars from his past which are an issue, but particular to him not all TBs. That said, he doesn't really spook and I constantly have to get him to ease up when he learns something new because he will give me so much collection/impulsion/bend/lateral motion he'll hurt himself if I let him. He was taught changes very well on the track so he still throws them if I goof something up then switches back when he realizes I wasn't trying to ask for one. He is very well built and dressage is fairly natural to him, and he happens to absolutely love it. I would definitely say make sure you ride with a trainer who will not try to contain energy, but instead work with it.

I was interested in getting an OTTB for my next horse, but the nice ones I tried to get all sold almost instantly. Instead I got my WB dream horse who was started under saddle last week. I definitely have different plans for her than I would have for a TB just because being purpose-bred gives her naturally more elastic gaits with more suspension. She does have a lot of TB, though, which was a requirement for all the positives about their temperaments mentioned above. It has been interesting seeing her under saddle and how her gaits and carriage are pretty much good enough after 4 rides for a training level test. Dressage is hard no matter what, but we'll have a head start in some areas.

It really just depends on what you want, how soon, etc.
              Originally posted by Silverbridge
              If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

There are many TBs/OTTBs in eventing and Advanced level dressage tests are probably equivalent to about Third Level or Fourth Level (half pass, flying changes, extensions, maybe 1/2 pirouette, but no piaffe and passage).

Comment

TB's can do anything, the right TB, you should take a pro shopping with you.
                  Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

A good horse is a good horse.

Comment

Yes, its possible. If you buy straight off the track, try to keep yourself from making a timeline. Some of them could do a training level test well in 6 months. Others take that long to stop leaning on the bit for balance. Yet others are still in need of vet, chiro, and time off after 6 months.

If you can, buy one that is restarted already, that you can actually sit on and try.

Take someone who is good at conformation with you. This may or may not be your trainer or vet. The horse's muscling will be all wrong, so it will take a good eye for bone structure to pick the one that will do the job.

Comment

There are some very nice TBs out there. Not everyone has awesome gaits in the dressage view, but some do. The first lesson I had with my first OTTB (6yr old, training level at the time), my instructor told me he had FEI potential. Now after 10 years we aren't there yet, but that's not his fault. It's mine; because I've been doing all the training and I am a slow learner. But hey, I'm having fun learning 3rd/4th level. Over the years I've had some good dressage folks ask me if he's a Holsteiner (sp?). Everyone agrees he's got nice gaits.
                        Get one of the nice ones and you can do some very nice dressage. The path of your progress may not be the same as a "typical" WB; issues my arrive at different points in the path, but you can get there all the same. And you'll have fun along the way.

Comment

A TB could definitely go to third and earn you a bronze medal, but with an OTTB, it is unlikely. The reason is most OTTB have some back issues and other issues that will show up somewhere along the line and very likely before they earn you that bronze medal. Sure some former race horses are super sound and will not have any issues, but most OTTB will. This is a simple negative unavoidable sid-effect of working a horse so hard so young. There is also the fact that TBs are so imbred and are not bred to be uphill, and very often have crappy feet. Oh and I forgot to add that most horses off the track have a history of ulcers. You might get lucky and find a TB with the soundness longevity to make it to third, but statistically you probably won't. If you are on a limited budget and don't have endless money for vet bills, chiro, joint injections etc, I would advise against getting a horse off the track. The price of the horse may initially seem like a steal but likely in the long run you will have a horse with issues that does not make it to third. Plus it costs the same amount to train, shoe, show, etc etc a horse that had a low purchase price as it does to take care of a more expensive horse. My advice it to lease a horse for a few more years and really save up money for the purchase price. Of course any horse regardless of the price can be a soundness lemon but starting with an OTTB you are taking a greater chance of having that be your reality. Good luck.

Comment

Dang, Kellyp, did you just register to say this? Has this been your experience as a dressage trainer, long-time owner of OTTBs or successful dressage horses?

Paula
                            He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

^^^ I'm thinking they must have had a bitter experience with an ottb to post all those negatives. Depending on the rider, most horses will move up the levels faster than their owners. (barring soundness issues)
                              Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

Originally posted by kellyp View Post
                                A TB could definitely go to third and earn you a bronze medal, but with an OTTB, it is unlikely.
                                Um, no.

Comment

Kellyp's a Debbie Downer. My very first riding teacher (who rode at the SRS for a while) had two horses -- one, a very TB type Appendix QH, the other, a Bull Lea TB mare. I adored that mare!

Before WB's arrived in great numbers here, there were TB's, OTTB's sport-bred TB's. They hunted, evented and did dressage, too. The OTTB that I purchased for $300 RIGHT off the track had some "cow" in her. Lovely mare. Personable, good work ethic, pretty as could be.

I'd do another OTTB in a heartbeat if the opportunity arises!

Comment

I was just trying to give the op some "sound" advice. If someone is on a budget and can only afford one horse, then I believe they should go and try to find the soundest prospect they can. Statistically speaking an OTTB is not usually the "soundest" prospect. I am not bitter against OTTB or prejudice against them. I have owned numerous horses off the track. A couple of them were sound and very capable jumping horses. Two had successful dressage careers, one of those to 3rd level. However, a lot of them did have back issues and other various issues, even though these issues did not show up on a ppe when they were purchased. I have also known people who have taken OTTBs to advanced level eventing and have seen horses that have stayed sound for long jumping careers. I have seen many many more however that had chronic ulcers, very very bad feet, arthritis in the back and neck and other back issues, and various other career limiting soundness issues at a disproportionate rate when compared to the average warmblood that is bred for the Olympic sports, not started until it is at least 3 years old and not run balls-out on a track. Personally I have not touched an OTTB for many years for a couple of reasons. Firstly I no longer do eventing or HJ and I am interested in horses that have the competitive gaits, self carriage, conformation , rideability etc to do well at FEI. ( and that very rarely is a TB) Secondly, I have the skill set to start and bring along a horse on my own so I can pick up an unstarted and more importantly not physically overstressed at such a young age warmblood with talent at a price that makes sense to me. I do however know that you really don't know what you have soundness wise with any horse until that horse is about 6. Even with the best bred, most carefully raised warmblood with totally clean xrays and no history of soundness issues, a certain percentage of those horses are not going to hold up to the rigors of a riding career. I am willing to take this risk as from my experience it is a significantly lower risk then starting with a horse that is off the track and was put under great physical stress at such a young age.

Comment

Coincidentally, check out the "unsellable horse" in Off Course, kind of a cute chestnut TB that moves kind of nicely. Price is right, all you need is transport from Arkansas/Alabama?

Comment

Originally posted by kellyp View Post
                                        I was just trying to give the op some "sound" advice. If someone is on a budget and can only afford one horse, then I believe they should go and try to find the soundest prospect they can. Statistically speaking an OTTB is not usually the "soundest" prospect. I am not bitter against OTTB or prejudice against them. I have owned numerous horses off the track. A couple of them were sound and very capable jumping horses. Two had successful dressage careers, one of those to 3rd level. However, a lot of them did have back issues and other various issues, even though these issues did not show up on a ppe when they were purchased. I have also known people who have taken OTTBs to advanced level eventing and have seen horses that have stayed sound for long jumping careers. I have seen many many more however that had chronic ulcers, very very bad feet, arthritis in the back and neck and other back issues, and various other career limiting soundness issues at a disproportionate rate when compared to the average warmblood that is bred for the Olympic sports, not started until it is at least 3 years old and not run balls-out on a track. Personally I have not touched an OTTB for many years for a couple of reasons. Firstly I no longer do eventing or HJ and I am interested in horses that have the competitive gaits, self carriage, conformation , rideability etc to do well at FEI. ( and that very rarely is a TB) Secondly, I have the skill set to start and bring along a horse on my own so I can pick up an unstarted and more importantly not physically overstressed at such a young age warmblood with talent at a price that makes sense to me. I do however know that you really don't know what you have soundness wise with any horse until that horse is about 6. Even with the best bred, most carefully raised warmblood with totally clean xrays and no history of soundness issues, a certain percentage of those horses are not going to hold up to the rigors of a riding career. I am willing to take this risk as from my experience it is a significantly lower risk then starting with a horse that is off the track and was put under great physical stress at such a young age.
                                        ironically enough, i've known more high dollar warmbloods ($$$$$$) to be "statistically unsound" than free or less than $500 OTTBs.......

OP, ottbs are wonderful horses and if you like to see progress and make a life-long partner, take a pro with you and see what you can find. a bronze is a great goal to have, and an OTTB can definitely take you there with the right training!
                                        AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

Working...
                                        X