Stallion Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

exterior
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Spinoff: worst comment by judge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinoff: worst comment by judge

I know a judge (no longer active, but once very popular) who told a rider that she should take up a different sport.

Originally posted by dudleyc View Post
    I know a judge (no longer active, but once very popular) who told a rider that she should take up a different sport.
    I know one who told someone they'd made no progress at all since the last time she'd seen them (a year).

She did soften up when that person didn't say anything back, and then went on to be quite supportive, but we all kind of wondered what her motivation for saying it was? (My uncharitable thoughts were that what she meant was that if the subject of her comments was taking lessons from her they'd be able to make some progress.)

Comment

A few years ago I tried moving up to 4th Level before I was adequately prepared to do so (a fact I realized about halfway through my quickly disintegrating test). I got a 4.5 on rider and the comment in the collective marks was "rider does not possess the skills necessary for this level of difficulty." It was painful, probably most acutely because it was accurate.

Fortunately we 're-debuted' at 4th Level a year later with no such comments, so it all worked out in the end
      http://greybrookeventing.blogspot.com/
      http://kerickso.tumblr.com

Comment

capable horse, incapable rider.......still have the test even though it was 18 years ago. Oh and it was a first level test and the first show with a horse acquired a few months before that did not appreciate the indoor. I kept it for motivational reasons.

It was a 3 ring, 3 judge show and I showed the test to one of the other judges there. She recommended that I file a complaint at that time though I never did. I even showed under the same judge 15 years later and scored very well with 2 different horses. Whether the judge realized it or not I guess I had improved (higher levels too).
        Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

An "L" judge told a USDF gold medalist that her scores would improve if she took lessons from her (the judge).
          Anne
          -------
          "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Comment

Maybe not quite what you had in mind but almost 20 years ago I was at a driving show competing in driven dressage. I walked the arena, I paced off my circles, I lined up landmarks outside the arena such as trees and other objects that wouldn't be moved. I KNOW I was making ROUND 40 meter circles...probably the only time in my life when I went to that much trouble with a tape measure and all.

Comment: circles not round

I'm still pissed!
            Ride like you mean it.

Comment

Lovely generous horse, rider needs to improve. Or something like that and it was absolutely correct.

Last show out; got a 7 on the rider score and the comment; "organized rider". That was after a couple years of hard work.

Comment

A friend's 12 yr. old daughter graduated from her large dressage pony and was fortunate to acquire an experienced, successful at 3rd level horse. After working hard to go from 1st, 2nd, 3rd level she was getting respectable scores (mid-high 60's) at 3rd until one day a judge wrote on her 3rd level test comments "Horse would make a terrific FIRST Level horse".

Seemed harsh to me.
                "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

Many years ago, and I doubt it would happen today, but my old trainer got back a test with mediocre marks but complimentary comments. She read down to the bottom and found the comment: "Lovely ride. Too bad about the color." 17.2 h.h palomino QH (Appendix - mostly TB), that moved like a WB. Trainer was a pro and just said, "Eh!" but SHOW MANAGEMENT complained to (then) AHSA. East coast judge, west coast show. Perhaps the tolerance hadn't made it to the east coast yet at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Marla 100 View Post
                    A friend's 12 yr. old daughter graduated from her large dressage pony and was fortunate to acquire an experienced, successful at 3rd level horse. After working hard to go from 1st, 2nd, 3rd level she was getting respectable scores (mid-high 60's) at 3rd until one day a judge wrote on her 3rd level test comments "Horse would make a terrific FIRST Level horse".

Seemed harsh to me.
                    LOL, I was well over pony club age but was told that my not much more than a pony eventer would make a great pc horse. However he had given his previous rider an ulcer when she tried to make him a junior hunter. He had 2 speeds over fences, fast and faster
                    I wasn't always a Smurf
                    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

A judge once wrote, legitimately considering my test, "Take lessons."

Comment

A friend of mine was rather chubby and her pony was rather chubby too, and the judge commented " horse and rider in "very" good condition

Comment

Chisamba, I like that one! And identify!
                          Ride like you mean it.

Comment

I have never gotten any horrible remarks. With my Appaloosa mare I mostly got "lovely mare, need to move her up more." She was halter bred and not the most fancy mover, but she sure did try her heart out for me and that made me happy.
                            Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
                            The Blog

Comment

Probably the worst comment I ever got on a test was:

"Horse went better with previous rider."

The backstory is that I began leasing a rather distinctive and, at least locally, well known horse (he had an unusual name and was an 18h TB) from my then-trainer when my previous horse was on stall rest for a suspensory injury. I had entered a local show with my other horse prior to his injury, and was not able to get my entry fee back as the horse was injured after the closing date. I took the new horse just for the experience of riding him off the farm, not expecting to put in a fantastic test (as he was very big and quite a difficulty ride) as I'd only riden him for about a week, but I thought that comment was uncalled for and quite unconstructive...

of course he went better with his previous rider - she was a pro who'd ridden him for years!
                              ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
                              www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy M View Post
                                Many years ago, and I doubt it would happen today, but my old trainer got back a test with mediocre marks but complimentary comments. She read down to the bottom and found the comment: "Lovely ride. Too bad about the color." 17.2 h.h palomino QH (Appendix - mostly TB), that moved like a WB. Trainer was a pro and just said, "Eh!" but SHOW MANAGEMENT complained to (then) AHSA. East coast judge, west coast show. Perhaps the tolerance hadn't made it to the east coast yet at that time.
                                Well, I'm thinking it might be the same judge... He doesn't put it in writing anymore, but he did tell the scribe the same thing - would have scored him higher except he didn't like the spots... I knew the scribe, so she passed that lovely comment on to me.

I had one judge who wrote "too much impulsion". I THINK she meant over tempo, but it is a judge who knows the difference between the two. Another judge wrote "too much thunder". We puzzled over that one - the comment showed up 6 or 8 times on the test.

One junior rider I know got a comment "like a drunken sailor" - her mother was really offended. Yeah, I understand what they mean - weaving on c-line would have been a bit more professional...

I had a judge tell me, right before we entered the ring "well, if I HAD to ride a Friesian, I'd shave his feathers like you did".

Those were all S or higher judges at rated shows!

Then, one of my very first dressage shows - it was a schooling show. The judge actually stood up and said "Arabs can't do dressage because you can't get their heads down". OMG, I was appalled - it was not an "L", just a little schooling show, and about 20 years ago. I've learned a lot since then

Comment

I took a young horse to his first event a few years ago. Test was accurate but the horse was green so was IFV but certainly not resistant. Got straight 5s with one 6 on the first centerline and 9 variations of "horse off the bit" in the comments. I (who was riding 4th level on my own horse at the time) was given a 5 on rider and told to be more effective.

The best part was the drawing she drew at the bottom of what my horse's headset looked like and what it should have looked like. We improved our score by 20 percentage points at our next event two months later.

Comment

I leased an Irish Draft at one point 5 years or so ago. First test of the day, scored mid 60s. Second test (which imo was quite close to first) scored 49% (training level!!) and the comment of "would make a great cart horse."

I can laugh about it now
                                    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Comment

Originally posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
                                      Well, I'm thinking it might be the same judge... He doesn't put it in writing anymore, but he did tell the scribe the same thing - would have scored him higher except he didn't like the spots... I knew the scribe, so she passed that lovely comment on to me.
                                      It was a woman, so probably not the same person. BUT....an acquaintance who was showing successfully at 2nd level and ready to move on to 3rd on a mostly TB Paint showed before a judge who had previously scored her quite high. Her horse performed, she felt, as well as he ever had or better. She was getting, generally scores in the high 60s. She received a high 50s score. The scribe later informed her the judge had said, "I used to think this horse was a Dutch Pinto, but I found out it is JUST a Paint." OMG!! Nothing was written to that effect on the test, so no way to protest.

Comment

First dressage show ever, back in the early 1990s:

"You must be a foxhunter."

I was.

Comment

Working...
                                        X