• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bay Area dressage barns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Area dressage barns

A while ago I asked for dressage barn recommendations in Los Angeles and got really great replies. Now my partner and I have begun considering relocation to the Bay Area as well and I'd like to visit a few barns when I'm there next month to see if it's a place I'd want to be - it's a big consideration in terms of where I want to move. I'm looking for an FEI level trainer with a full training programme available (5 days a week), preferably a smaller barn (under 20 horses), and - if possible - some grass turnout. I'd like to be with someone who shows but does not leave for 6 months at a time to do it. And I'd like all of this for under $1500-2000 a month, including full board and at least half training! Tell me it is possible.

I know the Bay Area covers a lot of space but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Totally impossible to recommend anything unless you have some idea of where exactly you might be relocating too.

That said, I am still searching for a dressage trainer I would like to ride with in the Bay Area! The list of trainers I will not ride with is very long...
    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

• Original Poster

My exact location would be flexible - I'd choose to live somewhere close to a good barn.

Comment

What you are looking for is possible in the north/south/east bay and on the peninsula - other than the "less than 20 horses" part. Really if you can narrow it down - then those of us "locals" can help!

Out here due to the cost of land and improvement and staff - the barns with dedicated dressage trainers and facilities tend to be larger.

But other than a show weekend at my 'large' barn I have never been in the ring with more than 4-5 people at any one time. Nights are even more quiet. Today I rode, Sunday morning with 1 other person. Yesterday, Saturday morning, 2 other people.

But I love my barn and most of us have been there for 5 years or more!
        Last edited by honeylips; May. 12, 2013, 09:13 PM.
        RoseLane Sportponies
        Golden State - 2012 Bundeschampion & 2014 USDF Horse of the Year
        Golden West - 2014 & 2015 Bundeschampion Pony Stallion
        Petit Marc Aurel- FEI Dressage Pony Stallion

Comment

Are you looking for someone to ride your horse, or someone to teach you? That will narrow down things as well. Some can ride, some can teach, few can do both...

The only thing that comes close in my area is Heidi Riddle, and IIRC you have to be in full training with her, but it's super cheap for the Bay Area. It's not a fancy barn, but she has real turnout and has produced the goods.

My favorite part of the Bay Area is the North Bay (Novato/Petaluma/Napa) but I don't feel comfortable recommending anyone in particular up there anymore.

honeylips' trainer comes highly recommended to me from a trainer I like and respect a lot, but the barn is too far from my house (Livermore). It's a large barn though.

Comment

Tracey Lert at American Sporthorse, Chris Rivlin at Four Winds (if you can get in), Pam Nelson at Villa Rosa.

Comment

What PP said. I would not do what EP said. Heidi Gaian maybe (Pam's daughter.) Living anywhere you want may ot be an option unless you are quite well off. It can be extremely expensive to live in some areas.

Comment

I like Christiane Noelting in Vacaville. She's not too far from the North Bay and has a wonderful facility. Christiane herself is an outstanding trainer. Here she is:

christianenoelting.com

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Well the you go - completely different opinions

I will also agree with Heidi Riddle - she is wonderful. But isn't she way out in a pretty remote location?

Comment

Originally posted by exploding pony View Post
                    I will also agree with Heidi Riddle - she is wonderful. But isn't she way out in a pretty remote location?
                    It's not as remote as it seems, it takes about 15-20 minutes from downtown Orinda or Lafayette to get to Briones.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie A View Post
                      It's not as remote as it seems, it takes about 15-20 minutes from downtown Orinda or Lafayette to get to Briones.
                      I commute into SF every day and take BART from Orinda, it's 45 minutes for me to get there from Embarcadero (24 min on the train and 15 min or less from the station).

Seriously, it really depends on where you plan to live in the Bay Area. Traffic is horrendous with all the bridges and tunnels. I have tried to board in Walnut Creek, Danville and Novato/Petaluma. Unless I keep my horse minutes from my house (which I do now) I pretty much could only ride on weekends.

Comment

Perfect Pony is right - the Bay Area is like LA - a huge area. Christianne is in Vacaville - that would be like 3 hrs ea way for me! Heidi Riddle could be a solid 2 hours for me depending on traffic.

The east bay should be easy for me - on a sat it would only be half an hour. But on a weekday? Yikes - I could be sitting in traffic for an hour and a half getting to the barn from my office. It isn't even an option for me given the crazy, unpredictable hours I work.

If you really can pick your location then look at the scores on centerline, come for a visit with the trainers you are interested in, check out all the options and watch the trainers ride and teach. Training is such a personal decision and there are so many factors that come into play.

Comment

Originally posted by inne View Post
                          A while ago I asked for dressage barn recommendations in Los Angeles and got really great replies. Now my partner and I have begun considering relocation to the Bay Area as well and I'd like to visit a few barns when I'm there next month to see if it's a place I'd want to be - it's a big consideration in terms of where I want to move. I'm looking for an FEI level trainer with a full training programme available (5 days a week), preferably a smaller barn (under 20 horses), and - if possible - some grass turnout. I'd like to be with someone who shows but does not leave for 6 months at a time to do it. And I'd like all of this for under $1500-2000 a month, including full board and at least half training! Tell me it is possible.

I know the Bay Area covers a lot of space but any suggestions would be appreciated.

:wipestearsfromeyes:

Good luck!
                          "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Comment

First of all, if you are moving to CA, join CDS - they have a roster of all members (including trainers) and send out a monthly newsletter with ads, show info, etc.

Then, as already noted - narrow down WHERE you will be - Bay Area is a huge spread with even huger traffic issues. If you are in South Bay, it is much different then East Bay or Peninsula or ?

You may have to give up one or two of your criteria - I can think of some larger barns that might fit your requirements, except the "under 20 horses", or small barns that don't have turnout, but mean everything else. But... That doesn't mean they are going to be close enough to be realistic.

Have been to the barn Honey Lips is in - and it is lovely - big, but has multiple arenas, multiple trainers, good footing, etc - well worth checking out. Also a bigger barn, but with turnout and at least one FEI trainer and multiple arena options - Wyvern in Martinez. Headed to the North Bay, Santa Rosa Equestrian Center is big, but has turnout and reasonable prices (for Bay Area). Smaller facility in North Bay - Sutton Place - one good FEI trainer, worth the visit if that is the direction your will live. In the South Bay, American Sport Horse and Tracey Lert are an option - although one of the owners just passed away, so not sure what will happen there long term.

Several good trainers already mentioned - but you really need to figure out WHERE you will live. Traffic sucks...

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Perfect Pony View Post
                              Are you looking for someone to ride your horse, or someone to teach you? That will narrow down things as well. Some can ride, some can teach, few can do both...
                              Both, but mostly teach. I have both right now, it must be possible to find.

Thanks for all your suggests, guys! I really appreciate it.

I currently travel a minimum of 1 hour to my stable each way and I consider that totally acceptable, so "close to the barn" probably means something different to me than some of you

Comment

it's just that "1 hour" on a saturday morning can be 3 hours on a weekday after work. So just bear that in mind!
                                RoseLane Sportponies
                                Golden State - 2012 Bundeschampion & 2014 USDF Horse of the Year
                                Golden West - 2014 & 2015 Bundeschampion Pony Stallion
                                Petit Marc Aurel- FEI Dressage Pony Stallion

Comment

Tracey Lert, recommended above by exploding pony, is fantastic. Cannot say enough good things about her. She doesn't do a lot of ego-stroking but she is a great teacher and trainer.

honeylips speaks the truth about drive times -- sometimes places that are 15 min away in ideal conditions are an hour's drive in Bay Area traffic, and heavy traffic is not always predictable or restricted to rush hours.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, it is the same here (Toronto). Thank god I love my car so much.

Comment

Do a search on my post

I posted almost the same question some weeks ago. The discussion might be helpful for you in your search. We are just in the middle of preparing our house for sale and meeting real estate agents, so we are rolling on the plan for relocating! Good luck to you and I hope to see you out there!

Comment

i think you need to narrow down what type of trainer you want to ride with - we have folks from all stripes and all talents..... there are some very very good trainers around and some that suck.

soooo it all depends on what you are specifically looking for.

You can for sure be at a larger barn and pay top $$ - but there are also more under the radar options with very good trainers.... not all options would work for all folks.

my suggestion would be to get a list of possibles and then go watch them teach - more than once - and see if they fit your style.

i will give a shout out to my trainer - Marc Rijpens - i think he is fantastic - but he is also very very low key and nowadays under the radar....

good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                        X