• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

A Wonderful Video Moment at the Charles de Kunffy Clinic at Hassler Dressage

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

I think I heard some more banging on the armor.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Comment

• Original Poster

From Velvet's posting:

He enjoys being a catalyst, to quote Paulaedwina on the now closed CH thread that (surprise, surprise) Mike also started:
      What Velvet didn't know is that Catherine Haddad contacted me about the posting. She made a request. I responded in concurrence with a suggestion she contact the moderator.

And that is how two adults handle things on a BB.
      "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Matson View Post
        If you don't want videos or photos shared, do not mark them as "public" on Facebook, which is what fairwindschance did. If you mark them as something else (such as "friends") then they cannot be shared on other sites. "Public" means just that - it is available for sharing outside your circle of Facebook friends.

And as for my posting, I never asked for critiques. I simply stated it was a "wonderful" moment captured on video.

If you want privacy for a video/photo/posting, there are other Facebook options that are available and should be used.
        Public very well may have been so that the rider in the video could share with friends who were not also friends with the videographer. It didn't mean "please, post this everywhere if you see it, for we wish to share it with the world!"

You take liberties, never giving credit to those from whom you find something, and never asking the owner of the media to which you are posting a link. Perhaps you should consider asking out of consideration when you're posting something which isn't on a site intended for sharing with everyone (such as Eurodressage, or a link to a COTH article.)
        If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
        -meupatdoes

Comment

• I think I heard some more banging on the armor.
          ah no, that's just the wind whistling through your tin foil hat
          See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Comment

• Original Poster

Public very well may have been so that the rider in the video could share with friends who were not also friends with the videographer. It didn't mean "please, post this everywhere if you see it, for we wish to share it with the world!"

You take liberties, never giving credit to those from whom you find something, and never asking the owner of the media to which you are posting a link. Perhaps you should consider asking out of consideration when you're posting something which isn't on a site intended for sharing with everyone (such as Eurodressage, or a link to a COTH article.)

I suggest you get familiar with the Facebook privacy settings and their definitions. They are quite clear and provide good options for deciding how you want your postings seen/distributed. A few minutes of reviewing them before posting on Facebook is recommended by social media experts.

Many Facebook/internet photos/videos have no attributions as they have been posted through several internet sites before arriving on Facebook or other social media sites. When an attribution is given, I provide a direct link, as I did in this "public" video. I could have easily copied the video and then posted it. I didn't.

Comment

• And as for my posting, I never asked for critiques
              By posting this video on a discussion board and also commenting on it you were obviously inviting discussion. You ought to know that by now.

This was inappropriate regardless of details about privacy settings on facebook.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish View Post
                Please look at the link I posted, and note that the primary student learns not only from the teacher (aka trained professional), but from fellow students, who also learn by attempting to teach. IMO, it'd be a pretty sad (and expensive) state of affairs if people were only interested in trying to learn from those they have paid to teach them.
                You are hilarious, that you think the unsolicited advice you are able to give after watching a video of one 20m circle is so awesome that the rest of the world can learn from it and should be grateful for your bestowing it.

When you are at shows and you see people getting coaching do you ride up and start opining forth under the impression that your advice is so fabulous and we are all fellow students here?

The person who originally posted the video was obviously fine with it being shared, the same way I assume I am obviously fine with people auditing when I am riding a clinic or watching when I ride.

WATCHING however is a different activity than COACHING and just because you are allowed to watch does not mean you have free rein to invite yourself to be everyone else's coach like you can out teach cdk.

Jesus. I was at a schooling show over the weekend riding against Jen Alfano and while I certainly WATCHED I did not invite myself to TEACH her or her students.

We were invited to WATCH. You were the one who presumed to invite yourself to teach. Next time you are auditing a clinic why don't you just grab the mike out of the clinician's hand and tell everyone how much better you can teach it.

And then HSS can come up with something cruel to say and envision in her mind the rider being taken down a peg (hopefully you made them cry, right??? Hopefully they REALLY KNOW how bad they are and by implication how much better you are), since that is all that particular poster ever contributes to anything.

I would rather be stuck at third the rest of my life than be an awful human being on the journey.
                The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

• Meup, I get what you are saying and agree, but what you are responding to isn’t really what fish is saying. She is not implying that we should just walk up and coach people out of the blue. She is talking about the ability to learn by viewing a photo or video and discussing it with others. The inappropriateness here lies entirely with Mike for posting a video without a person’s permission. It appears that he has a history of this.

Mike, regardless of the accessibility of this video, it would have been common courtesy at the very least to ask the owner of the video if you could post it.

For you to say, “And as for my posting, I never asked for critiques,” this is lame at best but closer to unconscionable. Not only is this a public DISCUSSION board, but you have been here long enough to know darned well that WHATEVER gets posted is going to receive comments. That’s the whole point of a discussion board. From now on, why not post photos/videos of yourself or of people who have given you express permission. It’s time for you to man up and take responsibility for your own actions. It's also pathetic that you are now blaming the "victim" for not having set appropriate privacy settings on her Facebook page. Sheesh, what next?

I’ll add my apologies to NHWR’s to the poor person who found her video posted here.

Comment

• Originally posted by suzy View Post
                    The inappropriateness here lies entirely with Mike for posting a video without a person’s permission.
                    This is what you and fish and whoever else are telling yourselves so that you don't have to feel any responsibility or "inappropriateness" stemming from your decision to critique a 52 year old amateur taking a clinic.

If Mike has such a 'history' of posting videos without permission, I guess it was just COMPLETELY BEYOND you people to REMEMBER THAT and contain yourselves.

Instead the logic appears to be, "Well, I know that Mike probably posted this video without permission. I'll use this fortuitous opportunity to spout off about the rider, make myself look really awesome for being part of the pile on, and then when people call me on it I'll claim it was because OH WHOOPS Mike posted without permission."

As opposed to the far more logical thinking of "Well, I am opposed to the manner in which Mike posts videos without asking first because it opens people up to critique they didn't ask for so I'll just keep my mouth shut or find something positive to say and NOT CONTRIBUTE to the unasked for critique that Mike exposes people too."

I mean, this way you can behave like a jerk and claim it was all someone else's fault, as if people were lighting your fingers on fire to make you type it all out.

I guess you had NO IDEA (espeicially given all of this extensive history you yourself blame Mike for having) that the rider didn't post that video hoping that it would find its way to you and your friends to offer her critical tips. What a shocking surprise!!

You had COMPLETELY NO IDEA about the provenance of the video until people called out your behavior, upon which suddenly you knew allllllll about the provenance of the video and of course your behavior was all that person's fault.

And here there are examples of other posters who magically managed to discuss the video without later finding themselves in a spot where they had to blame Mike for their words. I guess Mike's behavior can be credited for turning them into kind people too. It must work both ways.

Comment

• Meup, it wasn't until I read other people's posts in this thread that I realized Mike has something of a reputation for posting things without permission. I take full responsibility for what I posted and have apologized twice now. I have learned an important lesson--do not comment on photos or videos unless they are expressly posted by or with the owner's permission. In fact, it might be good if COTH made it part of their discussion board policy for posters to specifically mark which items they post are up for discussion. Of course, it then seems kind of silly to call it a "discussion board" if you can't discuss it. Probably best to not post stuff you don't want discussed, huh?

Comment

• Meupatdoes:

As some one else pointed out, this is a "discussion forum," which invites discussion by its very nature, not a clinic or a show, at both of which it would, indeed, be rude to "open forth" with "unsolicited advice," not to mention "taking the mike out of the clinician's hand," although many clinicians do invite discussion (sometimes including evaluation of horses and riders in short videos or even still shots) during their clinics. Please look at the link I posted to a npr program on a Japanese classroom-- in which the teacher solicits "criticism" from her class toward one student with positive results for all.

So, to clarify, this is a discussion forum, which means that I, like everyone else, am invited not so much to "watch," as to "discuss," which is what I did and will continue to do as a participant in these forums, which I do not think makes me "an awful human being."
                        http://www.tunnelsendfarm.com

Comment

• Those of you who think MM will ever acknowledge that he has made a mistake or crossed a line about anything -- ever-- are in for a long, long wait.
                          Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

• The rider does not want to be discussed, TOB has shut their thread down for review.

I applaud that approach-- just because you can do something (ie- its a public link) does not mean you should (the rider did not know they were being filmed and the video posted).

Comment

• Originally posted by fish View Post
                              Meupatdoes:

As some one else pointed out, this is a "discussion forum," which invites discussion by its very nature, not a clinic or a show, at both of which it would, indeed, be rude to "open forth" with "unsolicited advice," not to mention "taking the mike out of the clinician's hand," although many clinicians do invite discussion (sometimes including evaluation of horses and riders in short videos or even still shots) during their clinics. Please look at the link I posted to a npr program on a Japanese classroom-- in which the teacher solicits "criticism" from her class toward one student with positive results for all.

So, to clarify, this is a discussion forum, which means that I, like everyone else, am invited not so much to "watch," as to "discuss," which is what I did and will continue to do as a participant in these forums, which I do not think makes me "an awful human being."
                              Yeah, and several people, when presented with the EXACT SAME VIDEO, made different choices in how they went about their discussion.

There are obviously teachers who are able to elicit great positive change in riders and impart great knowledge on auditors in turn, all with kindness and grace.

But I guess some people, like HSS, when presented with an opportunity to contribute kindly and in a manner that everyone can come out better, will instead take the opportunity to be needlessly cruel. She could have taken that EXACT SAME opportunity to offer a helpful kindness to the world, but instead she chose to offer that. Wow. When you offer an anonymous group of people the same exact opportunity for comment, their response will reflect the deeper tendencies in their character. This is why different people respond to the SAME situation in different ways. It says more about them than the situation.

It's all a discussion. People can discuss kindly or cruelly, or some place in between.

Where you fall on that spectrum of discussion is solely up to you. And whether people appreciate or respond positively to you in your chosen place on the spectrum is a result of the words and actions you chose to take. Everybody on this thread had the same video to look at and made their own choice as to how they phrased their response.

Sometimes people will use the "discussion forum" to discuss how you discuss, too.
                              Last edited by meupatdoes; May. 6, 2013, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• I appreciate Mike posting videos. I usually enjoy them. As this video was taken out of context and I couldn't quite see the wonderful moment (other than lovely horse) so I chose not to comment. No one was forced to comment. If you put something on facebook you have to know someone is seeing it. That's one more reason why I don't do facebook.

Don't kill the messenger.
                                Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

• For those of you who may have missed this post, this is so worth reading. It reminded me of a clinic NEDA did several years ago with Ulla Salzgeber. She was teaching Susan Jaccoma on a big, bay gelding (can't remember his name). Anyway, she was asking Susan to ride the half pass in passage; something the horse probably hadn't been asked for before. Susan worked and worked and worked at it. I was getting tired just watching, knowing how hard it must be, and could tell from the other auditors' postures that we all really wanted her to get it. It finally happened and was so utterly amazing to witness. Everyone broke out in spontaneous cheers and applause, and Susan looked like she had received an Olympic gold medal. Anyway, it was in keeping with the article Fish provided a link to.

Comment

For those of you who may have missed this post, this is so worth reading. It reminded me of a clinic NEDA did several years ago with Ulla Salzgeber. She was teaching Susan Jaccoma on a big, bay gelding (can't remember his name). Anyway, she was asking Susan to ride the half pass in passage; something the horse probably hadn't been asked for before. Susan worked and worked and worked at it. I was getting tired just watching, knowing how hard it must be, and could tell from the other auditors' postures that we all really wanted her to get it. It finally happened and was so utterly amazing to witness. Everyone broke out in spontaneous cheers and applause, and Susan looked like she had received an Olympic gold medal. Anyway, it was in keeping with the article Fish provided a link to.
                                    The fact that frustration tolerance and willingness to struggle is essential to learning, does not in turn mean that you are doing community service to someone else's learning when you increase their frustration and struggle.

Note that none of the other Japanese students jeered at the child when he was working at it. When he finally got it, they broke into applause.

When the person in this video "finally got" whatever they were working on, some people on COTH took the opportunity to rip it down. If somebody posted a video of the Japanese kid on COTH they would probably tell that Japanese kid, "Yeah, but he still didn't draw that cube exactly right and I can still see where he has the angles wrong. This is everything that is wrong with the Japanese school of cube drawing, they draw everything behind the vertical and without a well-engaged core. How could anyone call this video a wonderful moment when that cube clearly looks like a third grader drew it? If you want to see "wonderful" cube-drawing look at the video equibrit posted of PICASSO drawing a cube. Look at us helping the child! We are only bestowing frustration and struggle to help him!!! It is all Mike's fault for posting this video anyway. Mike should never post links to inspiring moments where a 9yo kid finally gets a cube drawn on the blackboard because we might be FORCED to take the opportunity to rip it to shreds."

Comment

• Meup, honestly, you need to relax. No one was jeering at the video.

Comment

Meup, honestly, you need to relax. No one was jeering at the video.
                                        No, I just "discussed" the hypothetical cube drawing video with the same exact words some people on COTH used for this particular dressage "aha" moment. I explained the ways this particular "aha" moment still fell short of ideal, criticized the teaching school, and made note of world famous professionals who could draw that cube better. Shall we envision HSS in the back of that classroom handing down her comment as the kid returns, beaming and excited, to his desk?

Does't sound so good now, huh?

Learn from your own article if you love it so much.

Comment

• We are comparing apples to oranges. That is a live classroom setting as opposed to a video or photo. I had no idea the rider was a poster here--and you don't have to waste your time beating me up on that count; I've done a good enough job on my own. And, I have learned to avoid a certain poster's posts!

Comment

Working...
                                          X