• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Training holes! The sitting trot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training holes! The sitting trot

These last couple of years with Fella I've been having these eye-opening, comin'-to-Jesus moments where I've had many an opportunity to discover how much of my awesome riding was because of riding made (school) horses!

Well, it seems I've had another. When I got Fella he was pokey and behind the leg. Nothing surprising here considering his background.

Ha! He's been in training, he's getting a back, he's forward, etc. And I have discovered now that I cannot sit his trot! Sure he's no WB, but he's gotten animated enough, and he is short coupled so he's got some vertical in his trot, and all I'm doing is stabbing him in the back with my seat bones!

So what do I do? What exercises will remind my hips how to move? I'm thinking of some longe sessions with him and my trainer -he should be good at the longe since he was carefully started this way.

It's kind of hilarious because when I first got him I could definitely sit his trot because it was a slow, sucked-back, hollow-backed trot. It kind of like chugged along

Yup, could sit this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqxx...GUbSQ&index=56

Le Sigh.
    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Absolutely get to the longe. It will allow you to focus on actively using your hips rather than just sitting there going along.

Lengthening and shortening the stride, and walk trot transitions while riding without the reins will be not only beneficial for you but is also good training for the horse.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Sigh. Some of 'em just - suck - to try and sit. I would say that considering your saddle issues, it might just be that he won't pick his back up enough to give you a place to sit. I am in the process of spending entirely too much on yet another saddle - but I am confident this time that this is a decent answer for the two of us. I would not push the issue until you get the treeless dressage saddle. Nothing is worse than making them back-sore. It is a long road back. I lost an entire summer to it.

Lunge lessons are good. As hard as it can be, try to envision forward rather than up with your hip. I would spend time on the treadmill at the gym envisioning both up and forward with each hip while I was walking, I'm sure it looked weird as hell to the meatheads at the gym.

Comment

• Original Poster

Tell me more about this up and forward with your hip on the treadmill? My fitness is probably a huge issue right now, but I recently started cross fit so I'm in the gym.

I just IMed our trainer to see whether we can do some longe work.

Paula

Comment

It's more of a core issue for me, holding myself together through my abdomen in the sitting trot. When I'm out of shape or get tired, my sitting trot gets incredibly sloppy. Not that it's awesome now, but it's better than what it had been.
          It's more like an active absorbing of the movement through my hips and abdomen. When I'm on a bigger moving horse, it can feel like I've been doing continuous situps when I get off.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well heck if it's core that explains so much. Ain't got much of that going on at the moment! Your description reminds me of how my old equitation trainer described sitting trot -a game of catch with a ball of energy between you and your horse. You catch it and send it back in a fluid motion.

Paula

Comment

No stirrups in a jumping saddle that has like no rolls! Seriously i learned to sit in those now dressage saddles are piece of cake! Did this on big movers to ponie
              Also no stirrup longe lessons

Seriously though learning in a minimalist cc saddle helped me be able to sit in any saddle
              Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
              www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Comment

Try this exercise while lungeing:

Put two bucking straps on each of your saddle dees -- better yet, attach them via "dee savers" to your stirrup bars. Saves wear and tear on the dees. Hod one strap in each hand and actively pull UP on the straps while actively bending your elbows. You will feel it in your core if you're doing it right.

You will feel stabilized in the saddle and very firm. This is what you want. This exercise also prevents (most) people from overusing their hands as the hands are too 'busy" just "pulling up" while your elbows bend. You should have the feeling of pulling yourself down into the saddle for a nice firm seat. Oh, and keep your buttocks relaxed as you do this.

I liken relaxed buttock muscles to an underinflated basketball. You CAN't dribble it!

Comment

My last dressage horse was a TB - his trot was like a jackhammer, and I spent a bunch of hours on a lunge line - my trainer LOVED it! DO IT. I got the two of us together enough that I could sit, but it was never fun or easy. Top of list when shopping for current horse was a trot I could sit. If you're doing the gym thing, see if they have a pilates class or trainer that can give you some pilates work. You will build core and learn not to clench other muscles. Also consider work w/out stirrups, it will help you relax your hips. Short sessions - ie get the best trot you can, sit for a few strides, regroup, rinse, repeat, a zillion times, hopefully increasing the # of strides!
                  We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
                    Well heck if it's core that explains so much. Ain't got much of that going on at the moment! Your description reminds me of how my old equitation trainer described sitting trot -a game of catch with a ball of energy between you and your horse. You catch it and send it back in a fluid motion.

Paula
                    Exactly! The best example I can think of is watching someone sitting a friesian's trot. It almost feels like a type of obscene pelvic thrusting on some of these big trotting horses. Can't sit the trot more than ten minutes max on some of these friesians.

Like this lady in this video:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSxpwg-CCsM

Comment

Originally posted by r.j.246 View Post
                      It almost feels like a type of obscene pelvic thrusting
                      Yes! This is how it was described to me during my lessons. Thrusting one hip forward and up a little and then the other hip forward and up a little to follow the movement of the horse.

It always made me think of the Madeline Kahn character in "Young Frankenstein", and her walk towards the bed. Watch this and pay attention to the hip thrusts at the beginning of the clip:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soVtBfOyQLs

Like that, but not as "big".

Forward and a tiny bit up on one side, and forward and a tiny bit up on the other side and so on and so on. Your bum is relaxed and in the saddle, rather than tight and perched on the saddle.
                      Sheilah
                      ETA: Not to say that both hips aren't moving, just that one side moves a little more (that thrust), and then the other side moves a little more. I am not explaining this very good!
                      Last edited by IdahoRider; Apr. 28, 2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Tell me more about this up and forward with your hip on the treadmill? My fitness is probably a huge issue right now, but I recently started cross fit so I'm in the gym.

I just IMed our trainer to see whether we can do some longe work.

Paula
                        The cross fit will help. With the new saddle I am in, I can feel my core, so I know I was not engaging it enough previously.

With regard to the treadmill - I would keep the MPH slow enough as to not fall down and hurt myself - but I would attempt to consciously pick my hip up an inch or so as I stepped forward and envision it being a trot so that I was not getting poked in the seat bone. As Fella's left hind is coming forward, you need to be lightening the left seat bone enough to give it room to come forward. You want him to rotate the hip under and up, not just forward. The most difficult thing I find in a challenging trot is to convince myself to follow the motion forward, not just up and down.

Though I did find it somewhat comforting to watch a BNT ride my horse during a clinic and see that he bounced around a bit too. Not as much as me, but still more than on the average horse.

Comment

And I know this could be painful - but if you had current video, it might help us see if it is horse related or rider related.

All I had to do was watch video of myself shot three months apart (December vs March) to know I had some serious issues to address.

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't have any current video. I'll see what I can do in the next few days.

Paula

Comment

but I recently started cross fit so I'm in the gym.
                              I'm so glad to hear that! It'll change your life in great ways.

Big thing that I notice here is that your abs needs to be more solid, your leg heavy and turned in, and you need to elongate your neck.
                              www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                              chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Sit on an exercise ball with your feet on the floor.

Now bounce and feel how your hips have to open and close. Bounce for a few minutes and you will really feel it :-)

When you ride at a walk feel how your seatbones follow your horse's hind legs, think In Out. Keeping the same rhythm ask your horse to trot, think Up Down....but don't rise, just let your hips open and close.

remember NOT to brace into your stirrups. That alone will kill the sitting trot and is the reason many people find it easier to sit the trot without stirrups. If you feel like you want to brace post a few strides then go back to sitting.
                                I wasn't always a Smurf
                                Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                                "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

• Original Poster

This discussion has led me to an understanding -I am out of shape. I haven't been this out of shape in a long time, maybe never. A good sitting trot relies on both dance partners being able to exchange energy back and forth with each other. I'm not able to do that right now. It will change -I've joined a gym.

Paula

Comment

This is a current video, right?
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPZoiYdHzvQ

Comment

• Original Poster

That's right; Laura took some video at our last show! But it's not really good to show anything because:

1. I was nervous and clutching (because it was my first show) so Fella was behind the leg and inverted.
                                      2. It's really rather far away.

I need to get some better video -close up and working. I had less of a problem sitting around the barrels there because he was slow. He's a good caretaker so he was very pokey because I was so unbalanced.

I'll get some video maybe on Wednesday if I can find someone with a phone willing to take it and you'll see my sitting trot in all its gory!

ETA: This one was a little better because it was later in the day and I'd unclenched a bit -especially on the way home. You can see that Fella has come a long way from that old pokey 2011 video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&f...&v=UwGnzsQdkDw

Paula

Comment

After watching the videos linked, I have to say that it was nice to hear all that support ("Go Paula!" was yelled out more than once).

What a positive, fun environment to grow in.
                                        Sheilah

Comment

Working...
                                        X