• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Not So Great at the Lower Levels but Stellar at the Upper Levels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not So Great at the Lower Levels but Stellar at the Upper Levels

Do some horses just not show well at the lower levels but go on to do well at the upper levels?
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Yes. In fact, it's more common. What you really want in an FEI horse doesn't usually do all that well at the lower levels. The quickness, athletic ability, and mind that needs to be challenged doesn't always go for that steady relaxed look that does so well at the lower levels. MY GP mare was MUCH worse at staying on a straight line and not doing 50 things at the lower level than she was doing the tempis or passaging. Same with my other FEI horse, who kinda did GP.

Comment

I think it is very rare for a "bad" lower level horse to do "stellar" at the upper levels. However there are young horses that don't clean up and get 75% and up and training level, but go on to be successful FEI horse that can score upper 60's.

Your future top FEI horses are usually beat by the super floaty, elastic youngsters (the type that later struggle with collection), but those future top FEI horses aren't doing poorly and I'd still expect them to regularly score 68-72%. Getting a 70 at training or first is not that hard for a correct horse.

Poor gaits cannot be completely overcome with great training. Why a horse is not doing great a the levels needs to be looked at to see if it really has FEI potential.

Comment

Yes, I think it is common. These youngsters still have good movement, but I think are just generally a different type of horse. They are quick, elastic and balanced but may not have the naturally huge, roomy gaits of the top young horses. The demands of upper level work are really different from the lower level stuff so it makes sense that there are often horses that cannot excel in both. That being said, I agree with the other poster that said that there is no reason these future FEI horses could not do quite decently at the lower levels but what I am saying is they are often not candidates for the FEI young horse tests ect.

When I was in Germany last I was talking to a stallion manager about one of their stallions. He told me nobody would breed to this one stallion as a 5 or 6 year old because the horse " didn't have enough of a medium trot" , in other words he didn't stand out among the super movers of his age group. But now he is a confirmed GP horse and has won the big test for developing young horses there and likely will be on the German team in the future. He is a GP superstar and you would NEVER believe that there was ever a time this horse didn't have a WOW trot. I am sure there are many other horses that develop in this way.
        www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Comment

Absolutly correct Donnella!

I have been doing this for over 20 years(breeding) an d riding for more than 45.

The "typical" YH star is usually not going to be your FEI competitive horse. Not saying they can't do it, but not going to excell at both.

I breed for FEI and I do show my horses at a Training and above. They do/should score about 70 percent from the beginning. But they typically do better going up the levels rather than the YH classes.
          Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
          www.marydellfarm.com
          2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
          2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

Comment

I think its very common that horses slated for the FEI levels by trainers who ride there often do not even see the ring until collection. One of the most interesting things that came out of the USDF trying to force people to qualify to come up the levels was a mathematical statistic that showed that the horses that did super well in training and first level was no statistical indicator ( none, zero, nada) of them doing well at second, or even getting to the FEI. it was the major reason why qualification was dropped.

There are some horses that do really well in training/ first, that have big relaxed stride and rack up the sevens and eights, but completely lack the ability to collect, either mentally, or physically.

I have two horses i am starting at the moment, one is going to do fine in the lower levels and one will probably not even see the competition ring till she is ready for second level. I would make money bets, right now, as to which one will have the athleticism for PSG, never mind the more advanced FEI work.

Comment

I have one now that was horrible at the lower levels. He had the gaits, but doing big, boring 20m circles just wasn't interesting enough. He had too much time to look around. He used to bolt all over the place in the warm up ring and he didn't pay attention in the class. Gaits were good, mind wasn't focused. He's now scoring in the upper 60's at PSG and schooling all the GP movements easily. Has on the spot pirouettes and a gorgeous passage. All the tempi changes are a piece of cake for him. At the lower levels he was just too distracted by everything that was going on. He just needed more work to do - and he was well worth the wait.
              Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
              Now apparently completely invisible!

Comment

My horse and I would be horrible at lower level tests because they are so slow. He gets bored easily, has too much time to think of mischief, and really only becomes amazing when he's doing fun and challenging things. He doesn't care about doing a 20 meter circle and there's no way to make him care.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiki View Post
                  I have one now that was horrible at the lower levels. He had the gaits, but doing big, boring 20m circles just wasn't interesting enough. He had too much time to look around. He used to bolt all over the place in the warm up ring and he didn't pay attention in the class. Gaits were good, mind wasn't focused. He's now scoring in the upper 60's at PSG and schooling all the GP movements easily. Has on the spot pirouettes and a gorgeous passage. All the tempi changes are a piece of cake for him. At the lower levels he was just too distracted by everything that was going on. He just needed more work to do - and he was well worth the wait.
                  I'm certainly no upper level rider, and my horse is not yet an upper level horse. However, I am hesitant to show much at all right now because the lower level work is simply too easy for him. He's waiting for me to catch up so we can move up and onward to more interesting things!

I expect my young horse will be stellar at the lower levels in comparison to my gelding. She just naturally flows and reaches, whereas he has to work hard to get his most relaxed and most impressive.
                  If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
                  -meupatdoes

Comment

I think it's not uncommon. I also think, in addition to what others have said about the difference between the young horse stars and the FEI stars, that some horses need time to learn to relax in the ring and the show atmosphere. Horse show scores don't always reflect the talent of the horse, they reflect the talent of the horse in the snapshot of time in the arena. Some horses' low level scores are marred by general tension until they become more comfortable in the show environment. They aren't going to be a 70s scoring Training/First level horse because they are too concerned with the environment, the crowds/horses, the flags, etc. (I'm talking some, not all, horses). Some people with sensitive horses just do clinics and off-site schooling before taking them to shows because they don't want a bad show record. And as the horse gets experience on the road, matures physically and mentally, and understands the job better, s/he settles in better with the more engaging mid-upper level work. On the flip side, some phenomenal young horses have amazingly loose and elastic gaits, but they don't have the physical or mental ability to sit/collect and conform to the rigors of upper level training.
                    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

The OP didnt say anything about YH vs FEI. I think she meant a horse struggling at lower lever will do "stellar" later... I dont agree with that.

I know a few trainers personally who develope a horse into the double right away when their riders cannot maintain enough obedience at LL but thats for the rider not the horse.

Working gaits should be doable and somewhat easy?

Otherwise Id look to the training.
                      ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                      http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
                        The OP didnt say anything about YH vs FEI. I think she meant a horse struggling at lower lever will do "stellar" later... I dont agree with that.

I know a few trainers personally who develope a horse into the double right away when their riders cannot maintain enough obedience at LL but thats for the rider not the horse.

Working gaits should be doable and somewhat easy?

Otherwise Id look to the training.
                        Depends on what the root cause of the struggling is. Working gaits at home? Unlikely to be an international FEI phenom. Focus at shows and/or lack of brilliance, but can really get work done at home? You may have an FEI horse in the making there.

Working gaits in and of themselves are easy, but the horses that blow training level out of the water (steady in the bridle, steady tempo, uphill and elastic gaits) may or may not have the scope or work ethic for PSG+. But there are a lot of horses that do ok (mid-60s) at TL-2nd, but really start to come into their own at 3rd+ (or PSG+, depending.

I own one. He's busy and enjoys throwing his legs around, so long stretches without a change of direction, figure, or movement are a recipe for full-on Dutch Harness Horse leg-mover action. Now that he's showing the GP with some success, I could probably take him through a TL test and clean up because I now finally have him so tuned to my aids that we can do anything. When he was greener, though, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzodm View Post
                          Do some horses just not show well at the lower levels but go on to do well at the upper levels?
                          Absolutely! And vice versa.
                          "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

There are a lot of horses who show well at the lower levels but have limitations that will prevent good scores at the upper levels.

Then there are those who are too bored by the lower levels to pay attention , or just need the time and seasoning of the advanced movements to get themselves together to show their full potential.
                            Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Working...
                            X