• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Catherine Haddad Finds God

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You make a good point, Fooler. A Baptist in nun's garb -- not funny. And that's (in part) why I found the stand-up to be offensive and un-funny.

I got a lot of ribbing for my Texas accent after we moved to Colorado. I retorted by telling my new Colorado friends they had NO accent at all!

Comment

Originally posted by fooler View Post
      O
      Fish and ThreeFigs - would really you find it as humorous if I, a Southern Baptist, were to dress myself or my children as you did? I think not.
      Sure. Why not?? Seems to me it was fun and funny, and would be no matter who was doing it.

And, BTW, I wasn't a Catholic either when I did it, didn't know or care my neighbors' religions, nor, to the best of my knowledge, did they mine.

Also don't understand what difference it would make for a Baptist rather than a Jew, Catholic, or anyone else to dress as a nun for Halloween. Who'd even know without asking? Why would anyone care? For cryin' out loud, it's dress-up, fun, pretend. Seems to me that making fun beats the blazes out of making war, screaming "blasphemy" over cartoons and the like.
      http://www.tunnelsendfarm.com

Comment

That's too long and not funny. I'm not offended, it's just not funny.

and I agree with whomever said doing this 'skit' as a fundraiser? Bad form.

Comment

Since I find her demeanor grating, pompous, and self-important at the best of times, I'm not surprised I don't find this funny. Not offended, but if I had been there, I would've gone outside for a smoke break during this...whatever it was supposed to be.

Comment

I have always had great respect for CH. Even though I prefer a different riding style, she is a smart, articulate, knowledgeable horsewoman and I am usually interested to hear/read her opinions. All that went out the window in the first few minutes of this skit. I admit I couldn't watch much of it. After she took the Lord's name in vain and accused Him of being short, I was so repulsed that I had to turn it off.

I do not consider myself a "religious fanatic", but I am a Christian who loves the Lord Jesus Christ. If someone had taken pot shots at Winyamaro in a public forum, I believe CH would have been hurt and offended. Why is it that Christians are considered narrow minded or fanatics when we are offended by someone taking pot shots at our Lord?

In the Bible, Jesus Christ is very clear about who He is and why He was on the planet. We all get to choose how we repsond. Some will choose to believe Him, others will not. Some will choose to worship Him, others will choose to mock Him. It's our choice. I just believe that CH chose badly.

I

Comment

Well said, papony.

I am inclined to believe if she'd insulted Muslims/Islam/Allah there would be a very different thread going on here.

Comment

WOW!!!! AND I THOUGHT THE GERMANS HAD NO SENSE OF HUMOR!!!?!

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFigs View Post
                  You make a good point, Fooler. A Baptist in nun's garb -- not funny. And that's (in part) why I found the stand-up to be offensive and un-funny.
                  Yeah, it's a little different when it's the group poking fun at itself. As for 'televangelists are crooked, so it's not offensive to other Christians', would that mean it would have been okay to make a video as a mock jihadi because they don't represent all Islam?

If someone did a skit like that, say for staff appreciation day, at my workplace, they'd get fired. Wouldn't matter WHAT religion they were mocking. It's just not appropriate.
                  Author Page
                  Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                  Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

FYI: We athletes and product donors raised over $160,000 for our US Dressage Team that night! Go USA!

Comment

When I mentioned halloween nun costumes not being offensive to my catholic friends I should have mentioned the costumes were being worn by strangers, religion unknown.

Some folks have more tolerance than others, that's fine. That doesn't stop me from wishing that everyone would lighten up a bit. Especially where religion is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine Haddad View Post
                        WOW!!!! AND I THOUGHT THE GERMANS HAD NO SENSE OF HUMOR!!!?!

I come from a truly racist society, having lived in south africa for a decade during the worst of apartheid. I learned an important thing. If the group you are "joking" about find its offensive, it IS offensive. It is not the right of the "victor" to decide this.

adding to it by labelling Germans, ( nudge nudge wink wink) is about as classy as the stand up was. but dont worry, it was for money, so that makes it all okay.

Marion Georgiev

Comment

Stay Classy, Catherine.

Comment

duplicate

Comment

You see, though, most of the people who find this offensive probably aren't the people who are being lampooned.

And if we are talking "generic" Christians, then by the above reasoning, no one could ever make fun of Christianity. Which would be an absurd result. It seems rather important, at least to me, that we can make fun of ANYTHING. There is nothing so sacred that it shouldn't be the subject of humor. Otherwise, what a sad world we have come to inhabit.
                              "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                              Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

I didn't find the skit funny at all. Even though I'm religious and have laughed in the past at some things that poke fun at my own religion, that kind of "comedy" is getting old now.

I wish more people would try to come up with clever comedy, a la Steve Allen, rather than resorting to making fun of specific groups of people.

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                                  You see, though, most of the people who find this offensive probably aren't the people who are being lampooned.

And if we are talking "generic" Christians, then by the above reasoning, no one could ever make fun of Christianity. Which would be an absurd result. It seems rather important, at least to me, that we can make fun of ANYTHING. There is nothing so sacred that it shouldn't be the subject of humor. Otherwise, what a sad world we have come to inhabit.
                                  The thing is, NO ONE will make fun of Muhammed or Islam--for fear of being killed, tortured, or all of the above. Just look at that movie they made that had NOTHING to do with the embassy attacks. They used it as an excuse for the attacks and it was made into a reason to riot and once again hate the USA.

I think that there are things people will not mock out of fear. Which is just to say that you're wrong to say that nothing is exempt from mocking.

I do not believe that is right, and I believe that there is a place to make fun of everything, as you do, viney. My only problem with this skit is where it was, who performed it, and why it was performed. Just bad taste. Not to mention, I found it pretty much an approach to a topic that's been done over and over again, and by much funnier people with better material.

I was thinking about what we find funny. I think that comedians we really love often mock themselves as a part of the humor. And if they don't, like say Eddie Murphy, at least we knew he was crude and would try to make fun of everything --and that is part of what was funny (or the reason you hated him). It was that he was crude and was expected to be a jerk with his humor. In his attacking others that he disliked, it was okay to also dislike him and laugh at him more often than with him.

I'm sure others will add more to why things are funny.
                                  "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

Viney as a Southern, Christian woman I knew the routine after 2 minutes. Velvet is correct, it has been done before, for decades and it is old. Don't go there unless you are really good or have a better spin on it.

As to humor, yes most of it is best when the humourist includes him/her-self in the joke. I loved Eddie Murphy's "ghetto burger" routine because we all have a parent who "knows" they prepare a better______________ than any restaurant and for less money.

Ms Haddad, again kudos for the your willingness to put yourself out there to raise money. It seems to have been a profitable evening. As a suggestion before you are asked or volunteer to do a repeat performance. Watch this old clip - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4aRMZ4ePmMM
                                    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
                                    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Comment

Gee - I have many friends in Germany and they come and say with us often. They don't lack a sense of humor.
                                      Ms. Haddad is free to defend her performance but it is certainly possibl and, in my opinion probable, that more money could have been raised with a better performance.
                                      Last edited by ise@ssl; Apr. 27, 2013, 10:21 AM.
                                      Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
                                      "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

what is truly incomprehensible about this, is the implication that anyone who chooses to be offended by the performance, is deserving of further criticism.

When humor is simply the vehicle that people use for mocking others, its not funny, when humor is used in a somewhat self reciprocal way, then it is genuine and funny.

Ms Haddad, born in the north ( Michigan) and having lived in germany for a number of years, was clearly not identifying in anyway with the group she was mocking, so it was pure mockery, and unfunny in the way of one who thinks they are superior to the category of people they are mocking.

however, what most people find offensive is not the caricature of the southern barefoot pregnant woman, but the insulting references to the Diety that they love and respect.

i would suggest, that if it were not CH, but an unknown person, not a single person on this board would have looked past the first few minutes and turned it off.

Comment

oh dear god

Comment

Working...
                                          X