• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Saddle for a Friesian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Saddle for a Friesian

    Yes, another saddle thread! I'm curious about saddle brands that would fit a wide and flat-backed, with a little bit of mutton withers, Friesian (I have conformation shots if you're curious). My current saddle is an older, lovely Kieffer Aachen, and just putting it on the Friesian's back makes me think it's not going to happen. I'm not very educated on saddle fit but you just know when it doesn't look right.

    I'm fortunate enough to be close to Pelham Saddlery, and Trumball Mountain is a few hours away, and the Kieffer is in nice enough condition that I could probably trade it in and knock some money off another saddle that will fit. What do you recommend, COTH? Would an extra-wide Niedersuss work? I have a short leg, so a shorter flap would be ideal.

    Thanks in advance.
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

  • #2
    Originally posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    Yes, another saddle thread! I'm curious about saddle brands that would fit a wide and flat-backed, with a little bit of mutton withers, Friesian (I have conformation shots if you're curious).
    Definitely post the conformation shots

    Depending how flat backed is a significant factor; also post your budget - you're likely going to want a "cob tree" or "hoop tree" or "U-shaped tree" ...

    You might look at the Kent & Masters, Tekna, Duett, Smith Worthington has some on great buy (they will adjust the tree to fit based upon tracings) & always has demos to try.

    Forum searches (choose "posts") will provide some background & opinions on these saddles (the SW not so much, they make some lovely saddles but don't seem to generate as much "talk").

    ETA some comments in this topic about the K&M's
    Last edited by alto; Apr. 13, 2013, 12:58 PM.

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      Here's a full side view: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...20535712_n.jpg

      And a 3/4 view: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...70472159_n.jpg

      Next time I'm at the barn, I will get some shots of his back from behind for width.

      Pardon the cell phone photos! Ideally, I'd like to spend around $1000 total (so I'm definitely looking more towards used than new), and if I could get $500 for my trade-in and maybe only pay $500 out of pocket that would be great. If it's the right saddle I'd go higher; Dressage Extensions has Niedersuss saddles for $1795, they come in extra-wide and short flaps (plus go up to an 18.5" seat), but if they are made on the wrong tree then there's no point in spending that amount of money. So, there is some flexibility money-wise.

      I'd need at least an 18" seat, but maybe bigger depending on how deep it is; I'm leaning more towards a deep seat so I can have the saddle help me be able to sit that giant trot of his, so we can eventually make the jump to 2nd.

      And thank you for the tip on forum searches; I've been having a really difficult time finding anything here since the new upgrade!
      RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

      Comment


      • #4
        If your horse needs a hoop tree, something like a Lovatt and Ricketts Ellipse or perhaps the Concord might work. Another possibility would be an Eloquence X with a K panel, or the Loxley dressage on the hoop tree, again with a K-type panel. If the hoop tree isn't necessary, a Frank Baines Reflex or Albion SL might work.
        Kitt Hazelton
        Saddle Fitter
        www.pantherrunsaddlery.com
        www.saddlefitter.blogspot.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post

          Ideally, I'd like to spend around $1000 total (so I'm definitely looking more towards used than new), and if I could get $500 for my trade-in and maybe only pay $500 out of pocket that would be great. If it's the right saddle I'd go higher; Dressage Extensions has Niedersuss saddles for $1795, they come in extra-wide and short flaps (plus go up to an 18.5" seat), but if they are made on the wrong tree then there's no point in spending that amount of money. So, there is some flexibility money-wise.

          I'd need at least an 18" seat, but maybe bigger depending on how deep it is; I'm leaning more towards a deep seat so I can have the saddle help me be able to sit that giant trot of his, so we can eventually make the jump to 2nd.
          I'd really talk to SW about options - they are more likely to be able to accommodate than shops that are not involved with manufacture.

          I suspect you'll be more able to sell your saddle wherever rather than getting good trade in value on it (unless shop is confident they have a solid market for that particular saddle).

          Are there any saddle fitters that come through your area? (just confirm that they have saddles for you to try that will fit you AND your horse)

          Comment


          • #6
            A used Duett Fidelio could be had quite easily for around that price, and would likely fit quite well. Duett Largo would be another to consider, esp. if your horse's back comes up a lot during work.
            Kitt Hazelton
            Saddle Fitter
            www.pantherrunsaddlery.com
            www.saddlefitter.blogspot.com

            Comment

            • Original Poster

              #7
              Originally posted by alto View Post
              I'd really talk to SW about options - they are more likely to be able to accommodate than shops that are not involved with manufacture.

              I suspect you'll be more able to sell your saddle wherever rather than getting good trade in value on it (unless shop is confident they have a solid market for that particular saddle).

              Are there any saddle fitters that come through your area? (just confirm that they have saddles for you to try that will fit you AND your horse)
              This is my current saddle, it's in really good condition besides the usual wear from leathers and boots: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...17909364_n.jpg

              I had tried to sell it through a local Facebook group but didn't have any bites.

              There are quite a few saddle fitters that come through--I'm really lucky to be in the area I'm in for that. Off the top of my head, there's Dr. Steven Katz, Colin Kimball Davis, Tony Cooper, Karen from The Refined Equine...so, so many. Not all of them are saddle reps, some just work with the saddle you've got. For reference, Mr. Friesian is located in Lakeville, MA.
              RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

              Comment


              • #8
                I had the same problem w/ my super wide flat, backed ASB. What really worked well for him is a Barnsby Luxus Extra Wide 36cm, wool flocked so easy to re-do. They are a very nice saddle and they sometimes come up used
                in the general price range you want.
                "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

                Comment


                • #9
                  My BO rides her Friesian in the widest off the shelf Niedersuss. She also used to have a Freeso (? spelling), the brand that is somewhat marketed for Friesians. That fit her horses as well, but she found she didn't like the way it fit her.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Please allow me to go off on a tangent and say Holy Wow what a beautiful horse!

                    Paula
                    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

                    Comment

                    • Original Poster

                      #11
                      Hmm, i think the solar flare is being naughty to the Internet, I didn't see Kitt's responses until just now (and was hoping she'd chime in!).

                      Originally posted by Kitt View Post
                      If your horse needs a hoop tree, something like a Lovatt and Ricketts Ellipse or perhaps the Concord might work. Another possibility would be an Eloquence X with a K panel, or the Loxley dressage on the hoop tree, again with a K-type panel. If the hoop tree isn't necessary, a Frank Baines Reflex or Albion SL might work.
                      How can I tell if he needs a hoop tree vs. another type of tree? is it possible to tell just from photos, or do I need to take some tracings and send them out?

                      Originally posted by Kitt View Post
                      A used Duett Fidelio could be had quite easily for around that price, and would likely fit quite well. Duett Largo would be another to consider, esp. if your horse's back comes up a lot during work.
                      He looks "soft" in the back in his conformation shot, but he does lift and really push from beneath when we work. Despite how long he is, he's pretty easy to put together and keep connected from back to front. Looking at your site, Kitt, it seems you've got 3 saddles that could work in the used section...I think we need to talk more in depth soon!
                      RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

                      Comment

                      • Original Poster

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Marla 100 View Post
                        I had the same problem w/ my super wide flat, backed ASB. What really worked well for him is a Barnsby Luxus Extra Wide 36cm, wool flocked so easy to re-do. They are a very nice saddle and they sometimes come up used in the general price range you want.
                        I will take a look into that saddle, thanks for the tip!

                        Originally posted by cmdrcltr View Post
                        My BO rides her Friesian in the widest off the shelf Niedersuss. She also used to have a Freeso (? spelling), the brand that is somewhat marketed for Friesians. That fit her horses as well, but she found she didn't like the way it fit her.
                        I love Niedersuss, so I would certainly be interested in going that route. Do you know what model it is? Dressage Extensions has the Symphony at $1795, and an extra-wide in a 17.5" seat. I'd probably feel better in the 18.5". Last time I sat in one was a 17.5" or 17.75" seat, but it's a more open seat so I could get away with the smaller size.

                        Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
                        Please allow me to go off on a tangent and say Holy Wow what a beautiful horse!

                        Paula
                        Thank you, Paula! I am very, very lucky to be able to lease him. He's a lovely example of the breed and was quite the hot stuff in Holland! I'm not a big Friesian fan but all it took was one ride (and I didn't even ride him that well that first time!) to fall in love with him. I had to take a break for a few months and it made me realize how much of a butt-whoopin' riding him was--I'm flabby and icky now! Won't take long to get back into shape, though. I'll let him know you complimented him!
                        RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Diane Williams is a fantastic local saddle fitter who is also a dressage rider and friesian owner. I'll PM you her contact info...
                          "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
                          but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

                          Trolls be trollin'! -DH

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Niedersuss--I think it was the "standard" model Symphonie.

                            County saddles are good for them as well!
                            I LOVE my Chickens!

                            Comment

                            • Original Poster

                              #15
                              Originally posted by CatPS View Post
                              Diane Williams is a fantastic local saddle fitter who is also a dressage rider and friesian owner. I'll PM you her contact info...
                              Thank you, Cat! I'm going to respond to your PM now!

                              Originally posted by Megaladon View Post
                              Niedersuss--I think it was the "standard" model Symphonie.

                              County saddles are good for them as well!
                              Good to know! I love the Symphonie saddles. I should try and sit in one soon before I jump in on buying a new one, though.
                              RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post

                                I love Niedersuss, so I would certainly be interested in going that route. Do you know what model it is? Dressage Extensions has the Symphony at $1795, and an extra-wide in a 17.5" seat. I'd probably feel better in the 18.5". Last time I sat in one was a 17.5" or 17.75" seat, but it's a more open seat so I could get away with the smaller size.
                                Pretty sure it is the Symphonie, but I'll check on Wednesday when I go to the barn. I know it didn't work for me because the twist was too wide, but it's a lovely saddle, and I like the more open seat.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post

                                  I love Niedersuss, so I would certainly be interested in going that route. Do you know what model it is? Dressage Extensions has the Symphony at $1795, and an extra-wide in a 17.5" seat. I'd probably feel better in the 18.5". Last time I sat in one was a 17.5" or 17.75" seat, but it's a more open seat so I could get away with the smaller size.
                                  Pretty sure it is the Symphonie, but I'll check on Wednesday when I go to the barn. I know it didn't work for me because the twist was too wide, but it's a lovely saddle, and I like the more open seat.

                                  Comment

                                  • Original Poster

                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by cmdrcltr View Post
                                    Pretty sure it is the Symphonie, but I'll check on Wednesday when I go to the barn. I know it didn't work for me because the twist was too wide, but it's a lovely saddle, and I like the more open seat.
                                    That would be fantastic! If you could let me know the tree width too that would be awesome!
                                    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by cmdrcltr View Post
                                      My BO rides her Friesian in the widest off the shelf Niedersuss. She also used to have a Freeso (? spelling), the brand that is somewhat marketed for Friesians. That fit her horses as well, but she found she didn't like the way it fit her.
                                      The saddle you were thinking of is a "Fryso".

                                      http://www.frysodressagesaddle.com/a...fryso-saddles/

                                      You might be able to find a used one out there somewhere. I'll poke around and see if I can find anything too.
                                      www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
                                      Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
                                      with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

                                      Comment

                                      • Original Poster

                                        #20
                                        Originally posted by jdeboer01 View Post
                                        The saddle you were thinking of is a "Fryso".

                                        http://www.frysodressagesaddle.com/a...fryso-saddles/

                                        You might be able to find a used one out there somewhere. I'll poke around and see if I can find anything too.
                                        Thank you so much! I prefer a narrower twist on my saddles, despite having wide hips, a wider twist feels like they're getting pulled apart. I can't tell the twist of the Frysos but they are lovely looking saddles.
                                        RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X