• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dressage saddle for a Lusitano

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Lemke for my Andi - we both love it.

Comment

Originally posted by emo View Post
      I have a Custom Saddlery Icon Flight for my big-moving 15.2 Lusitano. We both love it, and Mr. Sensitive lets us know *immediately* if he doesn't like something.

Our Custom rep was fabulous to work with, and I highly recommend the company and the product.
      Second this. I have a 15.1 Lusitano with a very short back and a laid back shoulder. I had terrible trouble finding a saddle to fit him well and tried many. I have had good luck with an Albion SLK, but now he needs something wider, and I am waiting for my Icon Flight to be made.

I find that if he is out of shape, his withers disappear and I still have to resort to a crupper, even with a well-fitting saddle.

Comment

Originally posted by wondering View Post
        Here is a link to my FB page. This is today. I have to say, he looks a little pudgy in this picture. The camera must add 100 pounds for horses. Today is his 6th Birthday

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
        He is beautiful and very similar in shape to my Lusitano gelding. He will continue to change shape for at least a couple more years. That's a long time to wait for a saddle.

n.b. steer clear of Schleese saddles; I had one and it made my gelding terribly sore even with supposedly expert saddle fittings every 6 months. The conformation of these saddles at the withers does not suit the baroque breeds very well.

Comment

Cluck, my experience is very different than yours. I have a Wave with Flair, bought for a warmblood that I no longer have. I used it on one Lusitano that came to me with a Verhan that did not fit me at all. The Wave seemed to fit well but as he had a very short back and laid back shoulder, I decided to get an Obrigado for him and another one for my new Lusitano. Both horses are moving better than ever. The shorter backed horse's saddle has panels that are slightly shorter and curvier than the other - these new saddles were made for me and for the horses. Jochen measured me at EEE and I did the measurements on the horses. Am very happy with them!

Comment

Wicky, my experience is similar to Cluck. I had a Schleese custom that fit every horse I tried it on (renging from ponies to a 17+ hand Dutch warmblood), except the Lusitano. I had Jochen come to refit my saddle. After several tries (and a couple thousand dollars) he assured me that the saddle fit the Lusitano perfectly.

Not only did he hate it, but every other horse hated it as well. Other people who had previously loved the saddle could no longer ride in it.

I finally saw the light, got rid of the Schleese for less than I had paid for the "improvements" and got the Icon, which everybody loves.

Jochen tried to sell me an Obrigado, but after the bad experience dealing with him with my old saddle, I was not inclined to continue with him, especially not for $7000.

Comment

I had a saddle fitter out today who used to be a rep for County. My saddle has a V shaped head and she needs a U shape. He said even buying a wide or x wide County is not going to fit her well (maybe passable but not great).

My current saddle is stamped MN but I've always known it's big for a MN. He confirmed that it had to have been widened at some point as it's now fitting like a MW. He said he may be able to widen it even more but ran the risk of damaging the tree and it may still not fit, even if widened. He said widening the tree will barely change the shape of the head, which is the real issue. She's got a wide, flat back. It would also explain why the other two saddles I've tried that were wider don't fit well either.

He said the most likely saddles to fit were Black Countrys and Duetts. Since the Duetts are more in my price range right now (between having to sell my old saddle and a large income tax bill, BLEGH), that's where I'm going to start. If they don't work for her or I find them uncomfortable, I will try a Black Country.

Duetts are made for horses with wide, flat backs, good quality and reasonably priced. New with shipping would probably be $2k. He did the tracing so all I need to do is get in touch with Duett or Trumbull Mountain tomorrow to figure out the correct size. I want to be able to ride my horse, damnit!!

He said to stay away from Schleese in general.

Comment

Another saddle that might work is a Thornhill Vienna II. I believe it has a hoop tree.

Comment

If your horse needs a hoop tree, you can find one from pretty much any of the UK saddle makers (as well as from Duett). Albion, Loxley/Bliss, Black Country, Frank Baines, Ideal, Lovatt and Ricketts and Hastilow all make hoop / Freedom head / dome / FWB trees. I'll also second your fitter's opinion of the Schleese for the round, broad horses. The tree points on these saddles are quite long, and tend to make the saddle "perch" on these types.
                  Kitt Hazelton
                  Saddle Fitter
                  www.pantherrunsaddlery.com
                  www.saddlefitter.blogspot.com

Comment

I am trial-riding and about to buy the Albion SRS saddle (link below). It fit my baroque sausage right off the rack with no adjustment needed.

http://www.albionsaddlemakers.co.uk/...-ultima-1.html

Comment

It is a little harder to tell with his head down but he doesn't look too curvy. Most "Baroque"t type horses we fit need a hoop tree and he most likely will need one. The Lovatt & Ricketts saddles have worked well for some of these horses as well as some of the Black Country hoop trees such as the Eloquence X or Vinici X depending on your price range. Some are deeper than others and the twist varies depending on what you try. Below is a link to one of the saddles I mentioned to give you an idea.
                      http://www.trumbullmtn.com/store/new...ketts/ellipse/
                      Jay McGarry
                      saddle fitter
                      www.trumbullmtn.com
                      800-442-9672

Comment

Have you looked at one of these ?
                        http://www.laserequestrian.com/?p=2
                        ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Jay,

You and Rich actually sent me a saddle on Friday. It was the Duett Fidelio. Here's hoping it works!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to give his back a few more months to develop before I fit him for a new saddle. It will be good timing with everything else going on. I wouldn't want him dancing in something that doesn't fit!

Comment

Working...
                            X