• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tips/Tricks for Riding Down Center Line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips/Tricks for Riding Down Center Line

Hi I am new to dressage and will be showing Training Level this year predominately at breed shows. I've been reading through past threads for tips and tricks to riding a successful training level test and have found a lot of great information.

However, I haven't found a ton of info on tips/tricks of how to get a really good turn down center line. I know the test reads at A to come down center line however I feel like if I wait till A I'm overshooting where I need to be. Any tips/tricks for this?

Thanks!

It's a half of a 10 m circle if you're turning from the inside of the ring. You have to make a corner, not a sharp turn. Have you jumped? LOOK where you're going. Turn your head and shoulders and the horse will follow.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
      It's a half of a 10 m circle if you're turning from the inside of the ring. You have to make a corner, not a sharp turn. Have you jumped? LOOK where you're going. Turn your head and shoulders and the horse will follow.
      I have jumped before and I was going the route of looking to make the turn down center line but I was concerned that the turn wasn't happening right at A as written in the test. Is that the appropriate way to ride the test?

Comment

Dont think of the turn as a 90 degree angle, think of it as the 1/2 circle mentioned above. You should have a smooth movement from long side around the ring corner and onto the center line, which you won't really hit for a stride or two from the short side.
        Later, at first or 2nd level, you will actually do two 90 degree turns at the end of the test to get to center line.

If you have a regulation size arena, sit a cone or some marker just to the outside of the center line, and between the last set of letters; use that marker to get a feel for the flow.
        We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

• Original Poster

Ok this is making sense. Just to verify should you ride the final corner as deep as the others or is it acceptable to round the whole short end off a little to come down center line?

Comment

At training/first level all corners should be ridden like a half circle of 10 m. At your entry, this isn't a big issue. At the end of the test, the centerline is just 2 of these in rapid succession. The other thing to think about is how to keep your centerline straight. Riding the centerline like a lengthening helps this a lot. Depending on fitness levels, this can be tough at the end of your test because your horse may be tired. But if you prepare properly, that last corner and centerline turn can work for you. Make sure you enter that last corner with a lot of energy and maintain it through the 2nd turn. Then allow some release down the centerline. It works like a sling shot.
            I school long side/centerline/long side (with or without a halt at X) a lot to prepare.

This is one movement where practice really pays off and it is possible to get very high marks if you nail it.
            See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by nhwr View Post
              At training/first level all corners should be ridden like a half circle of 10 m. At your entry, this isn't a big issue. At the end of the test, the centerline is just 2 of these in rapid succession. The other thing to think about is how to keep your centerline straight. Riding the centerline like a lengthening helps this a lot. Depending on fitness levels, this can be tough at the end of your test because your horse may be tired. But if you prepare properly, that last corner and centerline turn can work for you. Make sure you enter that last corner with a lot of energy and maintain it through the 2nd turn. Then allow some release down the centerline. It works like a sling shot.
              I school long side/centerline/long side (with or without a halt at X) a lot to prepare.

This is one movement where practice really pays off and it is possible to get very high marks if you nail it.

This makes a lot of sense. I'm possibly riding the corners a bit too deep in general and might be why I'm getting a little stuck trying to make the turn down center line after the final turn at the end of the test. I'll mark off some 10 meter circles at each corner and school those. I definitely don't want to lose points on moves that we are capable of nailing with practice. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Look the judge straight in the eye or a bit above their head and ride actively forward.
                Have you ever ridden a bicycle? If you try to crawl slowly on a bicycle, you will wobble all over the place. Now, if you pedal, you will more easily steer a straight line.
                Granted, horses are not bicycles, but you are better of with activity than too slow.
                www.settlementfarm.us

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by dotneko View Post
                  Look the judge straight in the eye or a bit above their head and ride actively forward.
                  Have you ever ridden a bicycle? If you try to crawl slowly on a bicycle, you will wobble all over the place. Now, if you pedal, you will more easily steer a straight line.
                  Granted, horses are not bicycles, but you are better of with activity than too slow.
                  I like the analogy! Once we are heading down center line it is usually pretty good but we were definitely struggling with where to make the turn to come down center line in relation to A. Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!

Comment

If you feel like you are drifting past your turn really concentrate on your outside aids to help create a supportive "wall" to balance your horse through the turn. My mare can blow past the turn down center if I get complacent with my outside aids and don't show her exactly where I expect her to turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalker024 View Post
                      Ok this is making sense. Just to verify should you ride the final corner as deep as the others or is it acceptable to round the whole short end off a little to come down center line?
                      Don't worry about "the others". look to the training scale. Practice the 1/2 10 m circle, paying attention to the rhythm and the relaxation. Go as deep as you can, while being true to the rhythm and relaxation.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Carol O View Post
                        Don't worry about "the others". look to the training scale. Practice the 1/2 10 m circle, paying attention to the rhythm and the relaxation. Go as deep as you can, while being true to the rhythm and relaxation.
                        Great advice! I will definitely start schooling it like that!

Comment

What Carol said, but plan ahead. Don't wait til you get there to start your turn, keep the center line in the corner of your eye,and go! Go, being the operative word.. It is almost impossible to ride a straight line if your horse is not Forward! At this level a walk stride is permissible, before the halt.
                          Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Ride like others have said coming in at A. Also your corners should be ridden as a corner, deeper not a circle. If you are circling at say A then you will use your corners more as a circle shape and not go as deep in. Judges like to see a difference in this but a lot of times they don't at lower levels. Also make sure to keep your horse between your legs. If you know say he will float say right a bit be prepared to get that leg on and beat him to it. Also remember to hold him in-between your legs at the halt and you will keep your leg on for an active halt that is balanced.
                            Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

It's training level. If you can make that turn down the centerline, you're doing pretty well. My four year old could barely make that 10 m turn she is was big and not coordinated enough yet. There is no score for corners. There are scores for being balanced into the turn, so just focusing on doing a half of a 10 m circle onto A is doing a good job.

Don't waste your time trying to do things you can't do and aren't scored on. Use the corners to balance and get control of yourself and your horse. It's a great place to set up for other moves, and, unless you do something dramatically wrong there, you won't be scored on them.

Comment

10 meter circles will be with you forever, so start practicing them now and forever. And also lots 10 meter 1/2 circles.
                                They may be rough to start but they will get better.

Also ride off the wall (on the inside track)(or in an open field) to develope your straightness--horse between your hands and legs - not wobbling in a straight line. This will help your centerlines. From this exercise you will learn to feel your horse's crookiness and be able to strengthen his weak areas of his body.

Comment

Max Gahwyler's The Competitive Edge series is full of wonderful advice and strategies. The books refer to old tests, but movements haven't changed.

(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Gahwyler/e/B001KCLX7G)
                                  *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

Visualize rail road tracks curving and then straight down the middle.

Pick a bend youd like and keep it through the turn then slowly straighten instead of ping! THink slowly switching bend but stop in the middle if they are not really for really open straight without help ;D
                                    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                                    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Remember the corner letters are 6 M from the short side. A 10M circle would touch the long side 1M before the corner letter, and touch the short side halfway to A (or C).
                                      So, start your turn 1M (about a stride) after the corner letter, touch the short side at the right place, and don't change anything until you are on the center line. Make your outside aids become the "walls" on that open side!

It really helped me to ride 10m circles in the corners, using a cone to mark the CL where I should hit it - 5M in from the short side.

To compare this to a 20M circle: A 20M circle hits the long side 10M from the end - that's 4 M beyond the corner letter.
                                      When riding corners, be sure you don't follow that 20M circle path left by earlier work - go deeper into the corner, but not so deep that you interfere with your rhythm.

Comment

You said you were a jumper... Ride it like a rollback. I am in a little different position than you since I ride sidesaddle and need the help my hips and torso give me to keep a solid turn and straight line, as I come past F, I look back towards the judge and in the beginning I thought ofmitmlike a rollback. Got me a decent turn and a straight finish. Probably sounds silly to most, but t worked for me
                                        Mighty Thoroughbred Clique - has a Facebook Page!!!http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mig...80739235378806
                                        Www.customequestriandesigns.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X