• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

dressage saddle trees/panels for high withers/A-frame back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dressage saddle trees/panels for high withers/A-frame back

so... i'm once again shopping for a saddle to fit my 18yr old TB gelding. i love this horse and i would really like to ride him but the saddle i have now doesn't fit him right and i refuse to even try and ride in something that i know will hurt his back (there isn't the spine clearance/channel width to it that he needs).

i'm hoping i can get some recommendations from people on the board here as to what saddle brands/models have curvy trees and panels that will fit my boy. i've heard Prestige would work well for his shape/type. or the Anky Euro XChange. my budget isn't very big but i'm willing to save $ and get the best saddle i can for him.

hopefully i can get these pictures to post...

please excuse the mud. :P

unfortunately i don't have a current picture of his back from above/behind but i can get that tonight when i'm at the barn. any help would be appreciated. thanks!
    WH Miakoda - 2010 Appaloosa gelding
    Storm N the Harbor - 2007 Thoroughbred mare
    WHS SlikBlak Cadilak - 2014 Appaloosa mare (RIP)

I am currently riding two narrow horses in the Kent and Masters high wither shape with a medium narrow gullet plate in it. You can have a different gullet plate as needed.

Saddle was $1,800 brand new.
    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks for the suggestion meupatdoes. i'm not sure i would categorize him as narrow however - he just has those withers! his shoulder is big and his rib cage springs out pretty well with good girth size. i like the idea of the kent & masters saddle having the spine clearance but do you think the rest of the saddle would fit his back and balance well?

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonsky View Post
        thanks for the suggestion meupatdoes. i'm not sure i would categorize him as narrow however - he just has those withers! his shoulder is big and his rib cage springs out pretty well with good girth size. i like the idea of the kent & masters saddle having the spine clearance but do you think the rest of the saddle would fit his back and balance well?
        I was only making a suggestion of something that might work.
        As I said, the saddle has changeable gullet plates and thus is highly adjustable (but still not perfect for every horse).

For my horses, I leave the final decision on which saddles would work (from which narrowed-down list I pick one), and which gullet plate to use (from which she picks) up to my saddle fitter. Obviously I can not tell you definitely if this saddle would work for your horse over the internet. It is simply an option to explore in a reasonable price range.
        The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
        Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
        Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
        The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

There are quite a few saddles that can accommodate the high wither. Something cutback in front like a Passier or Kieffer might fit. Custom Saddlery has a number of models that would be fine with a high wither. An Albion SLK High Head might also work, as might a Prestige.

Comment

Just wnet thru this...

A few saddles came up time and time again for my medium tree, large withered OTTB. Kieiffer Wein, Stubben, and Albion SLK. The SLK was out of my price range and as luck would have it the tack exchange had both the Stubben and the Kieffer.

After it is all said and done I got a used Stubben Scandica DL and love it as does my horse. Something to try anyway.

good luck.
            Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
            Magic Cat - Final Demand

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks again meupatdoes - i'm sorry if i came across as unappreciative. i just wanted to give a little more information on my horses build if that makes a difference in any suggestions.

i've been riding him in a kieffer aachen II dressage and while the shape of the tree is good, the panels don't provide enough spine clearance nor do they have enough room to keep the saddle up off of his back behind the shoulder/below the withers. this is the kieffer:

perhaps a saddle with gussets in the front would help?

and this is what i mean by he needs more spine clearance:

i did have this saddle fitted to him when i bought it but the more i learn about saddle fitting the more i see it doesn't fit right. which also explains some of my horses resistance under saddle.

Comment

You may just need a flocking adjustment and a mattes
                www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

• Original Poster

i don't know that a flocking adjustment could give the kind of spinal clearance he needs - the ligaments and tendons to the side of his spine have the saddle panels sitting right on them towards the back of the saddle. that's what's causing some issues for him. unless the panels are replaced i don't see how i can make this particular saddle work.

Comment

I have a Passier and I imagine it would fit quite well on a high-withered horse. It's also a generally awesome saddle that my horse finds very spine-friendly and has gotten rid of his crankypants almost entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonsky View Post
                      i don't know that a flocking adjustment could give the kind of spinal clearance he needs - the ligaments and tendons to the side of his spine have the saddle panels sitting right on them towards the back of the saddle. that's what's causing some issues for him. unless the panels are replaced i don't see how i can make this particular saddle work.
                      If that's the only problem with the saddle, they can widen the channel by putting a line of stitching in it after removing all the flocking. Usually costs $300 to have done.
                      www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                      chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

I have a K&M on my big withered OTTB as well. Saddle fitter put the MW plate in it this winter, but I've found he likes the W plate better as he gets stronger. What I love is that it has ENORMOUS with clearance so I never have to worry.
                        Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                        We Are Flying Solo

Comment

My guy is similar to yours... curvy, tented, high-withered. I found a used Prestige for under $1k that works great for him. Amerigo, Vega, Jaguar, and Cobra are other brands that are similar.
                          "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
                          but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Comment

Originally posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
                            You may just need a flocking adjustment and a mattes
                            Agree.

I posted a thread on the topic of channel width a while back. It was interesting what came up in the discussion. The narrower part of the channel doesn't really make contact with the horse's back. It's just not where your weight is. Did you have a saddle fitter look at the way it fits? Has it been a long time since you had it adjusted? You might just need some of the flocking removed so it sits better on his back.

I ended up with a Kieffer Wien and it fits great.
                            A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

• Original Poster

do you have a link to the channel width thread? i'd be very interested to read it.

i'm pretty sure that part where it's quite narrow is making contact with his back. perhaps this picture shows how it's sitting on his back with me in the saddle:
                              http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...44484452_n.jpg

i also always ride with a thinline pad which you can sort of see in that picture.

Comment

I had a horse similar in build with very prominent withers. I had a Trilogy saddle made for him that had extra gussets in the back to make the saddle level and accommodate his high withers. It wasn't cheap but it was a solution,

Good luck!

Comment

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-is-still-sore!

There you go.
                                  A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

Just got a wide tree county with skid row panels for my big mare. Finally a saddle with wither clearance that doesn't pinch in the front! Most everything I tried that had a wide enough tree sat right down on her withers. You can find used saddles with them, but if you are short on cash, probably adjusting the flocking and shimming would be the next best option?

Comment

Call Lynnda at Classic Saddlery. She carries the Kent and Masters and the M. Toulouse amoung others, either of those might work perfectly for your horse and they are budget friendly Lynnda has some of the better prices and you might luck out getting a little better deal depending on the saddle. I tried the K&M S Series, lovely saddle, supportive without locking you in. Those saddles have a lot of clearence in the pommel, so would probably work very well on your horse.
                                      "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."

Comment

• Original Poster

bristol bay - thanks for the link. going to read it after this post

rj - skid row panels? sounds like a rock star saddle. i'll have to look into that as well. thanks for that!

js - i've looked at a few of the M. Toulouse saddles at my local tack shop but they don't seem to be very wide in the gullet channel. or at least they don't seem to be when you're comparing them to a prestige. the two models the store had also seemed to be move of a flat tree than a curvy tree. perhaps a different model(s) of theirs has the curvy trees?

Comment

Working...
                                        X