• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hands?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FLeventer View Post
    I think that the video is beautiful. Actually the most distracting thing about upper level dressage riders to me is the legs. They move their legs quite a bit and it distracts me. I understand that they are using them to cue the horse and obviously to ride, but they are what draws my eye.
    I totally understand that leg movement is necessary to follow the horse, especially an extravagent mover and a sitting trot, but I agree the excessive leg movement can be distracting to the viewer. Watching the last Olympics, I remember clearly wathcing a test where the gal was so busy on her horse I thought "wow, what a way to ruin a pretty picture." I was admittedly surprised when she not only received the loudest crowd approval, but the highest score I'd seen up to that point.

I will say that during the Olympics I took note of a lot of the range of leg movement forwards and back when cueing the horse. Made mental note that "hmmm... that is acceptable in a good rider" And in breaking my mind set that I should be giving "imperceptable" cues found I got much clearer and better results from my horse after.

We are always learning
    ::I do not understand your specific kind of crazy, but I do admire your total commitment to it::

Comment

re: legs - while we are always learning and no one is perfect, the ideal *is* a quiet leg... think about if you are the horse - you need to learn to tune out that tap tap tap and listen only when the aid is giving....

it's kind of like when you see the master of yore jumping and they have a rock solid leg and seat - and many of the top riders today have really not pretty or solid leg -

Comment

Originally posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
        This it not exactly true. While some bloodlines DO show a natural tendency towards lateral movement (therefore pacing rather than trotting), Saddlebreds are on the whole a three-gaited WTC breed. The slow gait and rack are artificial gaits, the horses are trained to do them. A horse that will eventually become a five-gaited horse still needs to have a true, 2 beat trot, but some lateral tendencies.
        The theory behind lateral aids into the canter, as far as I was told, was the thinking that the canter departure is initiated in the front end. That way, turning the haunches towards the center causes the outside shoulder to be blocked by the rail, forcing the horse to reach out with the inside fore and pick up the correct lead.
        It's a quick and dirty way to get a horse onto the correct lead; I almost always see it used when an unbalanced green horse is being run into the canter though.

The whole explanation could all just have been someone blowing smoke up my rear too. Who knows.

ETA- Oop, used the wrong quote, can't figure how to fix it though. Oh well.

Comment

Yep I see that a lot on greenies and people will counter bend to get the lead.
          Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Originally posted by nhwr View Post
            Actually I have ridden a few Donnerhall offspring. For as much as he was used, you'd think there'd be more of them in the international ring.
            You're kidding, right?

WBFSH 2012 Dressage Sire Rankings
            #1 De Niro (Donnerhall son who showed to Grand Prix)
            #5 Donnerhall
            #7 Don Schufro (Donnerhall son and Olympic team bronze medalist)

WBFSH 2011 Dressage Sire Rankings
            #6 De Niro
            #7 Donnerhall

WBFSH 2010 Dressage Sire Rankings
            #2 Donnerhall
            #5 De Niro

WBFSH 2009 Dressage Sire Rankings
            #2 Donnerhall

WBFSH 2008 Dressage Sire Rankings
            #2 Donnerhall

That is as far back as WBFSH has currently published on its website. Donnerhall led the rankings for quite some years until he was overtaken by Jazz.

And there were a slew of Donnerhall kids and grandkids that were officially nominated for the London Olympics (IIRC, six were by De Niro).

And at this year's CDI Dortmund, De Niro offspring took 1st, 2nd and 4th in the GP, and 1st, 2nd, and 5th in the GPS. And a son of Donnershlag (another GP Donnerhall son) finished in 11th place in the GP. http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...3-cdi-dortmund

Don't forget that Donnerhall was born in 1981 and died in early 2002. His last foal crops were small due to declining fertility, so not a lot of them out there. And you would not have seen his very best offspring here - the German professional riders tended to try to snap them up. They aren't as fancy/flashy as offspring of the current hot young sires, but they are very diligent workers and can handle collection - two very necessary traits for success at upper levels.

Comment

Originally posted by partlycloudy View Post
              I ride a lot of different horses, different breeds, different levels. Some have a lot of head and neck movement, some have less. Some really swing their backs, some not so much. The amount of movement in the hands is all dependent on the amount of movement in the horse...how much up and down and how much back and forth. The hands are to belong to the horse's mouth...hence the more movement in the horse, the more the hands will appear to move. you really can't say the 'so and so's' hands are quieter when they are riding a different horse....you would have to compare on the same horse.
              The saddleseat riders are sitting on an entirely different animal...entirely differently trained and riding in an entirely different seat...you just can't compare the two.
              My point exactly. "As little as possible, as much as necessary". Sometimes just keeping a horse's attention in a large, electrified arena is difficult enough. Yes, I agree a lot of riders over-cue but I'm sure when facing 3 or 5 judges one is trying to be as invisible as possible. Not an easy task especially when the horse is on the muscle.
              Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

Originally posted by SmartAlex View Post
                I will say that during the Olympics I took note of a lot of the range of leg movement forwards and back when cueing the horse. Made mental note that "hmmm... that is acceptable in a good rider" And in breaking my mind set that I should be giving "imperceptable" cues found I got much clearer and better results from my horse after.

We are always learning
                There are a lot of cues they are giving that are truly imperceptible. It is just that we only see the ones that are perceptible. There are tons going on apart from the movements of hands and legs. We won't see the slight tightening of one part of one thigh, slight shift (maybe just half inch) of seat, slight shift of weight aid (maybe just 4 once differences between seat bones), different engagements of rider's core at every stride, and so on and so forth. Some big differences between us and the great riders are, while their cues may be invisible, ours attempting the same exercises will be very visible; and while every cue that are given by them is crystal clear and precise, ours tend to be muffled, multiple unnecessary cues all jumbled together.

What is funny is, since their cues are mostly invisible, when those cues that ARE visible are present, we see them like through a magnifying glass; and since ours tend to be all jumbled and mumbled together, we don't see them as clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gloria View Post
                  ...and while every cue that are given by them is crystal clear and precise, ours tend to be muffled, multiple unnecessary cues all jumbled together. .
                  Guilty as charged! LOL!

And horses are (well, the ones who are paying attention anyway) very in tune to subtle "clues" in their riders. Half my ride time is probably spent trying to figure out what secret clues my horse is picking up on that I don't know I'm sending so I'm not asking for one thing and getting frustrated that I'm getting something else. I think this might be more pronounced in a horse, like my current one, who has been ridden by one person and one person only his entire life. When I can break an activity down into "left seat bone, right heel, open rein" and then follow my own program consistently... so my horse doesn't pull up, flick his ear back and say "but you told me to"
                  ::I do not understand your specific kind of crazy, but I do admire your total commitment to it::

Comment

Wow...fabulous horse and beautiful rider.I'd kill to have that feel.

Comment

There is nothing more humbling than taking you "skills" to a PSG schoolmaster and be unable to get him to do anything intentionally because of your muddy, muffled, imprecise cues. I tell people if Tempi could speak, he'd have a conversation with me that went something like,

"Yeah...I really have no idea what you're saying. How about we do this alphabetically; canter? No. Okay, passage? No. Okay...I got nothin'".

Paula
                      He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Working...
                      X