• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Help in valuing HYPOTHETICAL horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in valuing HYPOTHETICAL horse

So, this mythical creature is:
    Sane, sound, gelding 6-9yrs old
    Confirmed at 1st level ( scores 65%-75%)
    Potential for 3rd/4th, great brain, but not an FEI machine
    Very amateur friendly

What is the price tag on this horse?
    What is the $ difference if scores are consistently 70s and into 80s?
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

I might be in the minority but the real value driver for me is the talent for the upper level work, not necessarily 70-80% at TL and 1st.

I know you're trying to keep your post generalized, but there's a huge difference between a high-scoring 6yo at 1st level and a 9yo. Up to $50K difference in some cases (depending on quality).

Comment

The real value for me is finding a horse that has been trained correctly. And that is one that should stay sound for a long, long time even if the conformation isn't perfect (just not confo that works against them ... like back at the knee or extreme sloping pasterns or extreme upright).

Anywhere from $10,000 to $60,000. Maybe more for something special with a truly known background.

Comment

A lot will depend on the breed and location. A Morgan or Quarter Horse as you describe in Iowa...would not bring near as much no matter how nice as an Oldenburg or Hanoverian in Pennsylvania.
        "The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli"

Comment

Breed is a big factor. So I'll give it a go around here if it's not a WB ammie friendly and has the ability to go up to 4th with good scores in 1st between 10k and 20k if it is nicely schooling 2nd.

If it's an ammie friendly WB with same as above usually between 20k and 50k if it has ability to go higher and great breeding the you are looking at over 50k.
          Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Ammy friendly is really what influenced my answer.
            It sounds like a mythical horse to hang on to for 18 months, confirm at third and sell to an ammy for 3-8 times his current value as a bronze horse.
            A lot depends on breed for price. Not an FEI contender means he's probably flashy but not built to sit well.
            www.destinationconsensusequus.com
            chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Originally posted by BaroquePony View Post
              The real value for me is finding a horse that has been trained correctly. And that is one that should stay sound for a long, long time even if the conformation isn't perfect (just not confo that works against them ... like back at the knee or extreme sloping pasterns or extreme upright).

Anywhere from $10,000 to $60,000. Maybe more for something special with a truly known background.
              Agreed! The training is what is going to determine how far the horse can go. Depending of course on whether the new owner can ride well enough to bring the horse along.
              Patty
              www.rivervalefarm.com
              Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

Too many variables. I knew of a well bred WB mare, 6 years old, scoring 70s and into 80s at Training, dabbled in first, won every class she was in, but was NEVER going beyond 2nd level. She just couldn't mentally handle the rigors and "restriction" of collection. She was fine at the lower levels, but ask her to come up, really take contact, and it just wasn't going to happen. Uber flashy mare - price started at $40k, and she ended up selling for $8k. So why can't your hypothetical horse go beyond 3rd/4th? (honestly, if the horse can go 4th, why not PSG - there isn't a lot of difference between 4th 3 and PSG). Is it a mental/physical thing? Is the concern there is no passage in the horse?

A career lower level horse doesn't hold great value - kind of sad, because there really is a need for these horses. Most RIDERS aren't going beyond 2nd/3rd level, but they still want an FEI prospect...

Comment

Non-warmblood in today's economy...$10k in the midwest (though not likely to get 70-80's on a non-warmblood)

Registered warmblood with established show record and rideable gaits without a flying change...$20-40k

Registered warmblood with phenomenol gaits (hence the scores near 80%)...the sky is the limit. Why don't you think he can do FEI levels with training? If he can get to 4th, PSG should be doable at least.

I'm with those who suggest putting the horse in training with a trainer with proven results and get flying changes on the horse and a few 2nd/3rd level scores this year. If he's that solid at 1st level, he's likely ready to learn changes and collect up more for these levels.

3rd level 6-9 year old ammie-friendly registered warmblood with mid-high 60's at rated shows... I'd be asking $50-60k and wouldn't take less than $35 unless I really needed to sell.

Just keep in mind that at least for me, the price starts dropping when the horse gets over 10 (unless he's already FEI competitive).

Comment

Are you looking to buy this mythical horse or sell it?

Comment

• Original Poster

Andy, how does the price change ($) depending on which side of the fence I am on for the sake of this discussion?

"Correct" training - if the horse is scoring 70-80s, can those scores be gotten with an incorrectly trained horse? What do you look for in pictures/video, when you ride, or questions you ask to ascertain correct training?

While I understand EVERY horse is an FEI prospect, until proven not, some just have more talent for it then others, just like riders.
                      There would be many more happily proficient pairs if sticking to the correct basics was more popular then advancing at all costs.

Statistics of our sport indicate that the VAST majority of adult amateur riders never show beyond 3rd level, why should the vast majority care then if the horse is FEI material or not?

Thank you for all the input so far.
                      Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                      ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

I don't know if I can speak to the vast majority of AAs, but I care if a horse can reach FEI because I'm not looking to be a career national-level rider. All else being equal, the horse that can master the GP is going to be worth a lot more than the horse that tops out at 3rd (or 4th).

Like cars. How many drivers go 200mph? 255mph? 261mph? Very, very few. And yet the cars that can hit those speeds are going to be pricier for their talent.

Ultimately people pay premium for ability.

Comment

MZM, I assume Andy is asking which side of the fence you are on, because there is a (sometimes significant) difference between listing/asking price and actual purchase price.

Comment

• Original Poster

What I am asking is "fair market value". As in if horse of "x" parameters is priced at "y" it will sell, and for the price listed. "Blue book" value, if you will. I understand personal circumstances, luck will all play a part in sale/purchase price.
                            What "features" increase price, which are "useless". What are the regional differences?
                            ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

If hypothetical horse is routinely scoring 70s into the 80s at training/first, I'd really like to know why said horse is not an FEI candidate. That is going to make a huge difference in his "blue book" value to me. I would assume without additional information that horse is conformationally challenged and that will likely take maintenance to stay sound & happy even at 3rd/4th.

I've seen lots of super nice horses that go on to a nice FEI career that are not scoring like that the lower levels. Those are big time scores if they are coming from training/first at recognized shows. To get those scores at the lower levels the ride usually has to be a)super precise and b)the gaits/implusion/submission nearly perfect. That is an 8 on every movement and all the collectives just for an 80%.

As far as the factors that I would like to see as an ammy would be a solid flying change - so third level ready for the riders that are looking for their bronze medal, and a super rideable trot.

Comment

I think 6 without a flying change is a very different price than 9 without a flying change. At 6, it is reasonable that changes have not been started. At 9, you start to wonder if the horse will be able to do a change if they haven't even been started.

As others have said, breed will greatly affect the price also.

If the horse is a 6-yr-old warmblood, I would say anywhere from $25K on up but less if it is in an area that is not very "dressage-y."

If the horse is a 9-yr-old non-warmblood, I would say maybe in the $15K range.

Really, really hard to say though because there are a million variables. You have to find someone willing to pay the asking price but then again it only takes one person to fall in love with the horse.

Comment

Folks mentioned breed and location as huge variables that will effect the price. So is HEIGHT. Big price difference for the same horse if he is under 16 hands or over 17.3. Not so many buyers looking outside the mid range of 16-17 hands.
                                  "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

• Original Poster

If the horse is confirmed 1st level, would you really expect it to have a confirmed clean flying change?
                                    Wouldn't that be more of a green 3rd level, needs polish to show horse vs a 1st level horse?
                                    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

The difference between 6 and 9 can really mean a lot, as can the difference between tr/1st and 3/4th. The expectations for a 6 yr old or a 1st level horse will be different than those or a 9 yr old or a 3rd level horse. Breed, size, location, all are going to play a big part in pricing.
                                      Last edited by Timex; Mar. 7, 2013, 04:19 PM. Reason: Clarity
                                      Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
                                      www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

It seems as though many of the variables in price such as size, ability, ride-ability and soundness have already been discussed. From past research, horses tend to cost more in FL, CA and parts of New England with smaller pockets of expensive horses around the Chicago area, etc. This doesn't mean you can't find good deals in these areas though. I think the best advice is to look online at horses on dressage websites such as: www.DressageMarket.com and DressageDaily to find comparisons. Having comparables is very helpful whether buying a horse, house or car. Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                                        X