• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Helmets Required?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I wore my helmet into a gas station store once to get coffee - I was doing warm up rides at an IHSA show and honestly forgot that my helmet was still on. Maybe I'm subconsciously afraid of coffee or gas stations?
    Some years ago, a trainer with whom I used to work was running late. She finished schooling a horse, and the owner said they would unsaddle, cool the horse out, etc., so the trainer could move on to her next client. Trainer jumper into her car, totally forgot she still had her helmet on. Drove down the road. Stopped at a stop sign, drove into intersection... and another driver blew through the stop sign and struck her car. Despite her seatbelt, she did hit the windsheild (pre airbag car). Because of her helmet, no injury. Manure happens. I get migraines and a hot day and a helmet don't help. but I would never ride without one, even on the quietest horse: I can't control the other horses, vehicles, weather conditions, footing conditions, etc., around me. Doesn't matter HOW well behaved MY Horse is (and he could trip, drop dead from an aneurysm, etc.). Heck, a "new" pro I know was participating in a instructor's clinic and was told to wear her helmet even when lungeing. She sort of gave it a ?? expression, but did so. Strange horse blew before she could even start him on the circle and the kick just missed her head.....

Comment

• Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post
      Alrighty here, Aren't Lady Eboshi and Swamp Yankee the same poster? Why are they on the same thread?
      Because somebody said the scroll-rate on COTH was falling off lately, and "creative writing" here is fun.

My point was not that helmet wearers are "weenies." My point, up-thread, was that a better rule might have been:

"The use of an approved safety helmet is recommended at all levels and will not be penalized."

That way FEI-level adults could make their own personal, informed choice. That's all.

I would imagine that's how it'll play out overseas.

Comment

• If I put on a helmet I worry LESS about falling.

And yes of course Swampyankee and LB are the same poster. Anyone with half an eye could see that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
          .How many people do YOU KNOW PERSONALLY, in all those years, who sustained a fatal or life-altering head injury? Answers: Them, none. Me: One.

OK; how many people did you hear of second-hand (not via media but hearsay) who suffered one? Answers: We each could think of only one.

Well, lemmesee. I'm nearl 68, been riding since I was 9. I personally know of quite a few people who have suffered TBIs. THe most recent being W. Arts, and he was driving a horse! Friend wearing a helmet in the pre-ATSM approval days - unconscious two weeks, skull fracture, personality affected long-term; Youngster who's horse tripped during SJ warmup; trainer on a difficult horse that fought her heading into a fence and flipped. I'd say at least one a year, fortunately most not fatal or at least recoverable from, but most pretty frickin' serious. I suppose your reply will be that I must know a lot of poor riders, but that is NOT the case. Accidents happen, and one might as well try to reduce the risk, though one cannot eliminate it.

Comment

• I personally know of people who have suffered both mild and severe concussions from riding.

The eventer Jil Walton suffered a concussion walking a young horse back to the barn from the dressage ring.

Comment

• SwampYankee/LadyEboshi:
              Because somebody said the scroll-rate on COTH was falling off lately, and "creative writing" here is fun.
              Ah, makes more sense then. I had not known your posts were creative writing and not facts. Apologies then for assuming you were fibbing about the visiting friends and calling EMTs and doctors, I didn't realize it wasn't supposed to be factual and was just a story to attempt to rile people up. I keep forgetting your reason for joining here was to practice your fiction skills/see how much chaos you can cause.

My point was not that helmet wearers are "weenies." My point, up-thread, was that a better rule might have been:

"The use of an approved safety helmet is recommended at all levels and will not be penalized."
              I'm going to guess the USEF might have a better idea of what a better rule would be, as opposed to guessing done by those who don't show through USEF.
              That way FEI-level adults could make their own personal, informed choice. That's all.

I would imagine that's how it'll play out overseas.
              You jump in the saddle,
              Hold onto the bridle!
              Jump in the line!
              ...Belefonte

Comment

• And if IIRC, Ian Millar missed an Olympics due to a head injury a while back.
                You jump in the saddle,
                Hold onto the bridle!
                Jump in the line!
                ...Belefonte

Comment

• It is so funny how Lady E denied being SY, and now acknowledges it being true b/c she screwed up and logged in as SY on a thread where she'd been holding out as Lady E.

Demented and sad, but social.

Comment

• Well, how does posting on the same thread as two different people help your case? Kind of doesn't.
                    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by SwampYankee View Post
                      Folks, you're absolutely right; head injuries are no joking matter, and everyone on my farm wears a helmet, every ride now, including ME, OK? Common sense.

But the fear-mongering and dwelling on accidents is beyond tedious.

Kinda like how managing your two different accounts, badly, must be tedious Besides, if your boarders didn't, you'd surely mock them here.

Comment

• MistyBlue:

None of what I wrote was fiction. When I say "creative writing," I mean making a point in a way that's entertaining to COTH'ers, and yes, a little bit satirical. Sorry if it's not your flavor. All of the people I talked about this thread IRL are absolutely real and are who and what I said they were.

Main Point: I do not think the CKD-driven "scare tactics," esp. here on COTH, are helpful to riders. Emotionally-laden and melodramatic media tragedies make risks seem disproportionately high, especially when one lacks a broader frame of reference. The result, as I tried to illustrate humorously above, is that many AA's and are not riding more "safe," they are just riding more scared which paradoxically may make them LESS safe. And as my friend here said the other day, it's spreading virally to the point where, as she put it, "everyone's afraid to try anything any more." Attitudes about riding have changed greatly and not for the better.

"Perception of Risk" is a farther-reaching question than people here have discussed. Let's say a non-horsey Mom's DD asked for riding lessons; Mom sees CKD video and decides, then and there, that DD ain't gonna do any such thing. Well, there goes a kid who might have been a lifetime rider and competitor who won't get any closer to horses than a Breyer. She won't be supporting our industry, and that includes the helmet companies.

The delightful dressage scene we used to have in my area, with many local, inviting, and accessible shows both schooling and recognized, and frequently with BN judges, EVAPORATED in the mid-90's for lack of participation. The more people we scare away from even DRESSAGE riding, the more this will happen.

I quit showing only because I don't have much time away from the farm to trailer hundreds of miles to show. If the shows were still local, I would be.

Now: For those of you looking for a really nice hat to coordinate with your dressage outfit at a reasonable price, I have this one in Navy found HERE:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-CH...T/260949382668

Half the people who come here have alters. Who freaking cares?

Comment

• You do.

Comment

• A great many people would like to post and discuss things on COTH but don't, for fear of the bullying and outing and personal attacks. If you truly enjoy this BB, and would like to see it popular and active in the long term, please consider that you and me and the usual suspects are not the only ones reading all of this.

Cheers.

Comment

• Bottom line; It is well demonstrated that helmets can help prevent head injury. Allowing people to compete without helmets could be deemed negligent. USEF has instituted this rule, first and foremost, to protect itself.

If you don't like it, don't play in USEF's sandbox.
                              See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Comment

• I have always worn a helmet. Was ingrained into my brain as a child. However, when I was a kid we wore helmets with no chin strap How defeating the purpose was that!!

I had trained my horse back then to bow. Was really cute. One time was on her bareback and asked her bow. Well she did, but then being an old, arthritic mare decided what the hey, I'm gonna lie down right here instead of standing back up. I slid right off onto my head, onto the paved drive. Thankfully it was in such slow motion the helmet (sans chin strap) stayed on and I only broke my collar bone. It was such a unspectacular fall but still resulted in injury. After that my dad bought me one of those skull cap racing helmets with chin harness and you change the covers.

This is neither here nor there in regards to this discussion....just a funny story. The reality is the USEF can make what ever rules they want. It is their business and are trying to reduce their risk. If you don't want to wear a helmet then don't compete. I don't want to wear white breeches (probably the most unflattering looks a middle aged woman can wear) but I suck it up b/c I want to show.
                                Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
                                http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
                                http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Comment

• I don't have a problem with people using alters if they have a sensitive subject they need advice on but don't want to be IDd for. I've used an alter.

What I do have a problem with is a person using two user names on the SAME thread to try and argue their point. It's a little more than shady. I'm not sure what it has to do with preventing personal attacks or bullying.
                                  http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

The delightful dressage scene we used to have in my area, with many local, inviting, and accessible shows both schooling and recognized, and frequently with BN judges, EVAPORATED in the mid-90's for lack of participation. The more people we scare away from even DRESSAGE riding, the more this will happen.

I quit showing only because I don't have much time away from the farm to trailer hundreds of miles to show. If the shows were still local, I would be.
                                    So *you* quit showing for lack of time, but everyone else quit because they were skeered off?
                                    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

• Am suddenly compelled to dust off the Ian Hunter album "You're Never Alone with a Schizophrenic."

Comment

• Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post
                                        I don't have a problem with people using alters if they have a sensitive subject they need advice on but don't want to be IDd for. I've used an alter.

What I do have a problem with is a person using two user names on the SAME thread to try and argue their point. It's a little more than shady. I'm not sure what it has to do with preventing personal attacks or bullying.
                                        The mods generally frown on them used that way too. I think we all remember the Dizzy stuff.
                                        "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

Same here, Lady. I am one of those riders who stopped showing simply because strapping on a required helmet to show in made me realize that, OHMYGOD, riding is dangerous!!! I then became too afraid to show.*

*creative writing
                                          A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

Working...
                                          X