• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

So.. Did anyone Attend The "Dressage Summit" in Wellington?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    Skally, "natural" techniques have been around for centuries. The P's have simply found a way to repackage and market -- and have dumbed it down for the first-time inexperienced or fearful horse owner. They cannot teach "feel" if a person doesn't have it. A person who lacks "feel" will work the horse through the majikal "games" without understanding when enough is enough and it's time to go on to something else.

I've watched good trainers have to fix problems created by NH practices. Horses that will not take positive contact with the bit, horses that are chronically behind the aids, for instance.

Pat Parelli is a joke even among Western disciplines. He's all hat, no cattle.

Before you accuse me of having a closed mind, I've audited clinics and presentations by Parelli-accredited instructors, Monty Roberts and others. I asked a highly-regarded Western trainer here in Colorado for help with one of my horses. My coach used the same fellow for issues with her horse, too.

I am perfectly capable of winnowing the wheat from the chaff as far as "NH" techniques are concerned.
    Amen, figs.

Pat Parelli is a good hand with a horse. But he is first and foremost a showman. Nothing wrong with that. But selling the notion that you -- yes, YOU, Ms. first-time, middle-aged female horse owner who is scared of her horse -- can master the techniques by purchasing these DVDs and buying my equipment is just pure BS.

And as proof, I give you Mrs. Parelli as exhibit A. Despite many years with her husband as a mentor AND working with Walter Zettl AND riding very nice horses, she has improved ... about as much as I have. And I work full-time, ride a nice (but NOT particularly well-suited for dressage) horse 3Xs a week (if I'm lucky) and take lessons when I can.

skallywag, you can puff all you want about the convergence of Parelli/NH and classical dressage. But that's just what it is -- more puffery, suited only to their target audience, which I described above.

Comment

• I liken it to the inter relationship marriages.. Not accepted at first but now it is..and so will come to pass the Classical Dressage and Natural Horsemanship technique..
      Don't be afraid of it..

There are many, many seasoned horse men and women who have embraced Natural horsemanship...Parelli invent this?? Of course not... But he has produced a way to bring it to light for the novice as as well as the seasoned horse lover,rider, competitors., and the lists goes on.. Of course, I know this is not accepted by many of you, but it is true.....

Continue on with the train wreck.... It does make for an entertaining day....

Comment

• Skally: one thing you can't learn from a DVD is feel. Your posts demonstrate this perfectly.
        I wasn't always a Smurf
        Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
        "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
        The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

• I find it very interesting that you evidently do not ride -- at least you have not admitted whether or not you "do dressage". So I think you are another 7HL, simply here to poke sticks at dressage devotees -- who have done nothing to deserve your abuse.

Go play some games with your horse, why don'tcha.

Comment

• Originally posted by skallywag View Post
            I liken it to the inter relationship marriages.. Not accepted at first but now it is..and so will come to pass the Classical Dressage and Natural Horsemanship technique..
            Don't be afraid of it..
            Comparing an equine marketing scheme to the struggle for civil rights ... really? I mean REALLY???? Talk about a skewed perspective.

There are many, many seasoned horse men and women who have embraced Natural horsemanship...Parelli invent this?? Of course not... But he has produced a way to bring it to light for the novice as as well as the seasoned horse lover,rider, competitors., and the lists goes on..
            And where do you think Mrs. Parelli fits in on that continuum of expertise? Just curious ...

Comment

I liken it to the inter relationship marriages.. Not accepted at first but now it is..and so will come to pass the Classical Dressage and Natural Horsemanship technique..
              Don't be afraid of it..

Originally posted by mp View Post
              Comparing an equine marketing scheme to the struggle for civil rights ... really? I mean REALLY???? Talk about a skewed perspective...

This^^ Merci, MP

Oh and Skallywag -
              I am in an "inter relationship marriage" although I would actually, more correctly, call it "interracial marriage" if that is what you indeed intended to say. And I found that comment to be a little over the top but due your other comments, not surprising...

BTW - Skally, what is an "inter relationship marraige" is it a marriage with many other outside relationships going on??
              If you will permit me to say - you really live up to your screen name

Comment

• "Natural Horsemanship" is an oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp" or "reality TV." As soon as the human puts a fence around the horse and/or a halter and leadshank on them they are no longer in a "natural" environment.

Indeed, we spend a great amount of time removing the "natural" response of the horse to all sorts of situations. In "nature" when a horse gets spooked it runs. In "nature" it's always in a herd. In the human world we want the horse to never spook or, if it does, "spook in place" so we can calm it. We work hard to create a "spook free environment" and supplement that with "sacking out." We work hard to make the human it's herd mate, and, more importantly, its superior herd mate.

Put another way, we spend a LOT of time using training to overcome nature.

This does not mean we don't use the horse's nature when it helps us. If you want to introduce a green horse to scary situation (like gunbreaking for Mounted Shooting) having one or more broke horses is a brilliant approach. As "fear" can spread, so can "calm."

Here's a fine example of the Parelli approach to horsemanship (please, watch the whole thing; the example will be very clear):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RviRADnyFPs

Get the connection?!?!?!

The Parelli Faithful are never going to accept that their Prophet is somehow flawed. We humans all share a "religious" tendency and it manifests itself in different ways. Sometimes those ways are benign and sometimes not.

The "bottom line" for me is that I can learn a whole lot more than Parelli can ever offer from a bunch of different sources for a lot less money than I'd pay with him. If folks want to enter his world and have the spare change to do so then God Bless 'Em. But don't expect the rest of the world to don the "rose colored glasses" that are standard issue in Parelliland.

G.
                Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

• It sure doesn't take much to rattle your Tiaras...

And yes, I intended to refer it to "interracial" relationship.. Sorry I confused you..

Comment

It sure doesn't take much to rattle your Tiaras...

And yes, I intended to refer it to "interracial" relationship.. Sorry I confused you..
                    We weren't confused, just amused
                    I wasn't always a Smurf
                    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Comment

No confusion. Despite the garbled term, your meaning was clear. It's just a wildly inappropriate comparison.

Note to Three Figs -- I didn't get an answer to my question, either. But I bet we can both guess the answers ...
                      Last edited by mp; Feb. 19, 2013, 02:21 PM. Reason: edited to keep it factual :)

Comment

• In the game of cat and mouse, "skallywag" does not make a very rewarding mouse.
                        ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

• Originally posted by ThreeFigs View Post
                          I find it very interesting that you evidently do not ride -- at least you have not admitted whether or not you "do dressage". So I think you are another 7HL, simply here to poke sticks at dressage devotees -- who have done nothing to deserve your abuse.

Go play some games with your horse, why don'tcha.
                          When someone doesn't agree with your posts you call it abuse?

MOST if NOT ALL posting did not attend. The whole tread is filled with DQs posting anti-Parelli rhetoric. I question whether many of you are just week-end hackers with a few ribbons. That doesn't make you an expert on anything.

Many who attended enjoyed the experience. Many that went, attended with some preconceived ideas on what were they getting into. Many of them left having a great time. NO ONE is forcing anyone to use Parelli techniques.

Get over it. Many people do play games with their horses. We also ride and enjoy our equine partners.
                          The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.

Comment

• Originally posted by LarkspurCO View Post
                            ... Prepare to be assimilated ...

It's unfortunate that you are so insecure and lacking in your horsemanship that you feel the need to come here and taunt others. Why not go forth and prosthelytize where the clueless will be more receptive?
                            Pot calling the kettle black.
                            The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.

Comment

• I personally want it to be illegal for them to work with anything hotter than a 2 on the scale.

They are border line abusive to anything with an active mind above a stand still.

I feel sorry for everthing they get ahold of that is athletic beyond a jog.

If it doesnt stare at them from across the round pen for hours I want it to be literally illegal for them to touch it.
                              ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                              http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sorry! you have the wrong end of the stick as to whose mental state is one of confusion.

Bye, Bye!!!
                                Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

• No, I do not ride Dressage....I can't afford it..I truly appreciate those of you who do...honestly! I have watched spellbound at Leslie Morse, Steffan Peters and Jan Ebeling, amoung others ....it's a beautiful discipline...

But because I don't ride it, does it mean I don't appreciate it and the beauty of it? Nor do I dare have the right to express what I feel is good.. Such blindness is all that comes from many of you..

I guess because I don't ride THIS disipiline, it means I can't view it appropriately..another closed minded view...

I have been with horses since 1968.... Many miles of trails, many hours of riding lessons, many shows, many hours of just wanting to be with horses ... Just like the rest of you..no different. My path lead to the Parelli method, about 4 years ago. I wasn't looking for it nor any other clinician to follow. Friends took me to a Horse Expo and that's where I saw the Parelli team... I enjoyed it and decided to pursue it... My current horse, who's 12, I have had since he was 6... A Rugged Lark Grandson... He is not, nor ever has been a troubled or problem horse.. He is my partner, my joy...

It's not, nor should it be about "who's done what and how much with horses.." It's not about trying to convince people to do this or that.. It was simply bringing to light something occurring in the Dressage world that was happening...and like all other threads, whenever Parelli is mentioned the feathers are ruffled and insults begin... For whatever insults I stated or implied, to any of you, my apologies..

I was not the OP of this thread..

Comment

No, I do not ride Dressage....I can't afford it..
                                    Dressage DVD's are a whole lot cheaper than Parelli

Try anything by Jane Savoie or this book http://www.amazon.com/Build-Better-A...f=pd_sim_mov_1
                                    and the associated DVD's though they are hard to find
                                    I wasn't always a Smurf
                                    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Comment

• Here's my take on the "calming a Hot Horse" video http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=3&theater

Linda has the rider turning the horse in small circles until the horse is forced to slow down or fall over...notice how he is off balance and leaning in. I really wouldn't have called him a hot horse

Other people can comment what they would do but here are my thoughts.

Post the trot you want. When you sit on a tense horse you tend to make him more tense. If you want to slow the rhythm post high and slow. Rhythm brings relaxation, the bottom of the training scale. The horse isn't going to relax if he is off balance. Forget the circles for now, mostly straight lines with a constant rhythm, followed by shallow serpentines
                                      I wasn't always a Smurf
                                      Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Comment

• Originally posted by 7HL View Post
                                        MOST if NOT ALL posting did not attend. The whole tread is filled with DQs posting anti-Parelli rhetoric. I question whether many of you are just week-end hackers with a few ribbons. That doesn't make you an expert on anything.

Many who attended enjoyed the experience. Many that went, attended with some preconceived ideas on what were they getting into. Many of them left having a great time.
                                        $5 will get you $10 that skallawag wasn't there either, 7. Were you?

But that doesn't stop skallawag from being sure that NH and dressage are on a path of epic convergence. And the upshot will be that those of us who ride dressage but don't believe the Parellis are the next coming of Xenophonn will be forced to eat our words, left in the dust of the new age of NH dressage.

skallawag, you don't have to tell anyone what you do or don't do with horses. If the Parelli methods have helped you, that's great. As long as the horse isn't harmed, everyone is free to enjoy his horse experience in his own way.

But please don't make pronouncements about dressage and how the Parellis are revolutionizing it. I've watched enough of Mrs. Parelli's videos and her riding to know better.

FYI -- riding dressage isn't any more expensive than other disciplines. Lessons are about the same price as other ones I've taken. Going to recognized shows is pricey, but there are much less expensive alternatives to that, too. Besides, you don't have to show to ride dressage.

Comment

• Originally posted by mp View Post
                                          $5 will get you $10 that skallawag wasn't there either, 7. Were you?
                                          NO I was not. Had friends that went. Also had fellow boarder where I a at go, that is not using Parelli, but enjoyed ALL the presentations. You might be surprised what you can learn if you keep an open mind.

Comment

Working...
                                          X