• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Lost Motivation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Motivation

Anyone else out there just don't feel like riding? I've been so dedicated to the hard work until now. This is the second year I've had an indoor, and I after the freezing cold temperatures we've had I just haven't felt like mounting up even though I don't have to deal with the wind any more. I rode for 20 minutes yesterday and my lesson today was only 40 minutes (horse was great). Love my horse. Want to groom him. But don't feel like WORKING.

I hope it becomes warmer soon or I find my mojo again. Anyone else feel the same way?

Order yourself a good dressage book, stat!!!!
    Get thee auditing some clinics too.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Nothing wrong with lunging your horse or hacking out on a trail ride.

How about reading a dressage magazine for motivation?

Comment

Read dressage or watch some videos on Dressageclinic.com. Nothing makes me want to ride more than trying a new idea. Buy a new pair of breeches.

Comment

My horse and I worked pretty darn hard in 2012 - from 2 months in FL riding 5x a week to a lot of practicing and showing. By the time we hit the last show in October, I think both of us were done with it. We had "no-dressage" November, which consisted of trail riding, riding outside as much as I could, and very low pressure, short schooling sessions. Then the bad weather hit and it's been a little of this and and a little of that ever since. I don't like to ride him when it gets below 30 so I've been putting him in the round pen or he goes out most of the time the weather is OK.

Then, to top that off, we had a major mishap at the barn that involved a Trakehner, a stall door, and two of us riding - and I just found out Thursday that I have a hairline fracture in my back from that - so 6 more weeks of light riding.

Bottom line: enjoy the time off, rest your mind and your horse so that when the weather gets better you're both ready to start back into work. I don't think what you're feeling is strange at all.

Constant work ends up being drudgery!

Comment

I definitely lack the motivation to get bundled up, tacked up, and pray that my footing is safe enough to ride on now that it's in the 20's, snowy, icy, and just too dang cold! However, I am seriously jonesing for spring, and WANT to ride ride ride once it gets better.

My horse is losing condition, and getting fat and sassy, but luckily it doesn't take long to get him back on track and his mind is usually better after the break. Cmon spring!!

Comment

Yes! I feel you. I have zero motivation to put on breeches and take the time to tack up for a ride when the weather is in the single digits. More often than not I end up picking out hooves, slapping a halter on and hopping on over top of a blanket for a "hack". Being stuck in the same boring indoor for the past few months hasn't helped (I know, I shouldn't be complaining)

Comment

i think it is totally normal... i say be kind to yourself and take some time out..... groom, hand walk, whatever ... just enjoy your horse - you will get your mojo back soon enough and sometimes down time can really help shape a new perspective....

Comment

I'm right there with you. . . first, I don't have an indoor, and my outdoor is a skating rink at the moment. Second, I am recovering from a nasty bout of sinusitis which laid me out for a week. Thankfully beloved hubby did the chores. . third, it's still pitch dark about 40 minutes after I get home from work at 5:30 which doesn't leave much time to tack up and hack down the road, even. So at the moment I am well and truly grounded, sigh. But I am beginning to feel very restless and ready for at least the chance to go for a hack. . .my mare will need some turnout first though or she might explode under me. We haven't put the horses on the back 40 for the past couple of months because we don't have a freeze free water system back there - so they have been confined to the backyard paddock where we do have a heated water tank. They've just been standing around, or rolling, and eating. . . .

Comment

Honestly, we end up giving our horses the winter off. They (and us) have worked hard all year. A break is good for both the riders and the horses. This said the length of winter break is entirely up to the individual. Our show seasons starts in April so we typically start the horses back to work in Feb or March at the latest (depending on weather- no indoor), our show season ends in October. Personally I wish our season could start a month later and end in Nov. Regardless, after a couple months off during the coldest part of the winter my horse and I are always chomping at the bit to go back to work.

Comment

For me the hardest part is getting out the door. Once I'm at the barn, I'm fine. But I'm a stay at home mom, so when it's 20 degrees out, you're lucky if I bother to put on a bra under my pj's.

I just renewed my subscription to dressagetrainingonline and bought a few new books. That always helps me. If I watch/read just a little each night, I go to bed and wake up really wanting to go try out what I learned.

Something else to consider: try teaching something completely new on the ground. I have no idea what level you and your horse are, but sometimes schooling the same things over and over can get horribly depressing. Try something totally new. You'll see quick progress as you and your horse learn which can really help with motivation. Try a trick like stepping up on a pedestal, ground tying, lateral movements in-hand, or long lining. Lots to choose from and you don't even have to groom much or put tack on if you don't want to.

Comment

• Original Poster

So, I made a decision. For at least a couple of weeks (maybe all of February), I'm just going to ride in my lessons (2x per week) and show up to watch my trainer ride him (1x per week). On the other days, I may or may not even go to the barn (he's turned out, so no biggy). If I go, I may just groom or take him for a walk (unmounted), or teach him tricks. If I feel like riding, then I will. No pressure.

My lessons have been going great, so I'm motivated to ride then. But not even a fabulous show this weekend got me enthusiastic for riding on other days. I just can't wait until spring!

Comment

Working...
                        X